Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
Has anyone done any tests? I did a few things in COD2 before I updated, then accidentally deleted the note on my iPod that said my FPS >.<. In Diablo 2 I think I am actually getting about 50 FPS more (I think, used to be around 150, was up to 220 now even when fighting, this was in the beginning area though), but in COD2 I think I was getting about 10 less, but this was just shooting a wall etc, playing online it was as good or better performance. Unfortunately my WoW sub has ended so I can't test that. Warcraft 3 might be better, I was staying above 60 FPS with 10+ enemies being shot by 12 towers, which I don't think used to happen. Has anyone else noticed any performance improvements?

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
Performance seems fine. But now UT2004 works properly again in Snow Leopard. Hurrah!!

NGL

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2010
I've heard people having large improvements across the board, with the exception of some people saying Call of Duty 4 runs terribly. Can anyone speak regarding this?

-Nick

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
Mac Pro: (DALARAN)
FPS: Before(15-20FPS) AFTER(120FPS)

In WoW, before and after 10.6.3. Holy crap. And a lot of other people were saying it was running better. I am creating a trial account now just to see the performance improvements.

zao8350

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2009
i need to try CoD 4 then. that is pretty much the only game I play on mac, and if it dies i shall be PISSED.

lannister80

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2009
Chicagoland
I've heard people having large improvements across the board, with the exception of some people saying Call of Duty 4 runs terribly. Can anyone speak regarding this?

-Nick
I tried out CoD4 last night after doing the update and it plays just fine. I read those same posts and freaked out as well.

WoW also plays fine, although I think I'm using the GLL backend at the moment.

lannister80

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2009
Chicagoland
Ummm, no.

Its the same sluggish 20-50 fps as before, depending on your position,
point of view, player congestion and other stuff.
Maybe the other poster is using the GLL backend? Although I still can't imagine going from 20fps to 120fps unless your card/computer/game was *massively* misconfigured before, and now it's fixed.

Just in case you're curious how GLL vs OpenGL backends affect your framerate:

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=23094279471&sid=1

gretafour

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2006
Rochester, NY
This is exciting! Has anyone tried Sims 3 for Mac to see if it's improved any? It would be nice to not have to use Bootcamp just to play Sims.

seong

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
I have played CoD4 for two month now, and no problem at all.
All I could say is that FPS gained by 5 to 10. Nothing worse.

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
I've tried out a few games in Crossover Games that I tried some time back and rejected because they were too slow. Now they have much improved performance, and I almost can't tell a difference running in Crossover Games instead of in bootcamp.

Game list I've tried so far with success:

Sins of a Solar Empire (with Entrenchment expansion)
Galactic Civ 2 (Twilight expansion)
Marvel Ultimate Alliance (first one - has some character polygon drawing issues, though, but still playable)
Rome: Total War (this was playable before, but seems even better now on the battle map)
Blood Bowl (this was mostly unplayable before except on lowest detail, but now I can play it with some details with no slowdown)

Games I want to try but haven't yet:
Battle for Middle Earth 2 (need to re-install it. It was playable before, but had to turn down details a lot)
Dragon Age: Origins (I have never tried it, so I don't know if will work in Crossover)

Games I can't get to work:
Medieval 2: Total War (won't launch from Steam)
Mass Effect (won't launch, but I'm pretty much done playing it anyway)

zao8350

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2009
i played cod4 the other night as well and it seems to run better.

mail and safari are having issues though. especially mail, generally slow and refuses to quit a lot.
safari randomly freezes every once in awhile or just... quits for funsies.

tom.96

Suspended
Jun 13, 2003
I'm running 10.6.3 on a 2ghz C2D Macbook with the GMA 950 and 2.5gb RAM.

Since installing 10.6.3 I've found that UT 2004 has really improved. It always ran well, however I've been able to increase the resolution and texture detail without any slowdown at all. This is even on the outside maps which previously chugged a bit.

This is impressive stuff, really pleased. The difference is very noticeable - whatever Apple has done with this update, its good.

savvos

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2007
Gaming through Wine seems to be working a lot better. I tried ePSXe through Wine and it's running better than it does under Vista. And this is with Vista open in VMware next to it!

Gata

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2010
Call of Duty 2 and 4 used to run at ~100 fps before on my MBP w/ 9600mGT, now runs at 150-200 fps. :D

StopSign24

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2010
I'm actually getting worse performance in Crossover/Cider games. I used to get 40+ fps in TF2 with everything on low in Crossover, but now I'm getting 20-30, dipping into the teens in big fights. But on the other hand, I can now max out WoW with no problems. I'm on a 13" MBP with 4gb of ram.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Mac Pro: (DALARAN)
FPS: Before(15-20FPS) AFTER(120FPS)

In WoW, before and after 10.6.3. Holy crap. And a lot of other people were saying it was running better. I am creating a trial account now just to see the performance improvements.

I've seen large differences too (HD4870) but I don't think it was quite as major as that. Changing to GLL does help, but even on OpenGL it's performing much better; I have everything on full and it hasn't dropped frames during boss encounters (which it used to do under 10.6.2).

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
I've seen large differences too (HD4870) but I don't think it was quite as major as that. Changing to GLL does help, but even on OpenGL it's performing much better; I have everything on full and it hasn't dropped frames during boss encounters (which it used to do under 10.6.2).

I did some tests in WoW with a new trial account, FPS was basically the same in OpenGL and GLL, and not much different from 10.6.2. But of course, that was standing around in one of the starting zones, so I will be interested to see how it performs in raids with 10.6.3 and GLL, just need the money for a subscription.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.