PDA

View Full Version : LHC: Collisions!

miles01110
Mar 30, 2010, 10:22 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/31/science/31collider.html?hp (among others)

After 16 years and $10 billion — and a long morning of electrical groaning and sweating — there was joy in the meadows and tunnels of the Swiss-French countryside Tuesday: the world’s biggest physics machine, the Large Hadron Collider, finally began to collide subatomic particles.

Following two false starts due to electrical failures, protons whipped to more than 99 percent of the speed of light and to energy levels of 3.5 trillion electron volts apiece around a 17-mile underground magnetic racetrack outside of Geneva a little after 1 p.m. local time. They crashed together inside apartment-building sized detectors designed to capture every evanescent flash and fragment from microscopic fireballs thought to hold insights into the beginning of the world.

...and yet we're all still here and not at the center of a black hole. Great job maintaining your grip on reality, science!

yg17
Mar 30, 2010, 10:30 AM
...and yet we're all still here and not at the center of a black hole. Great job maintaining your grip on reality, science!

Well.....if the entire solar system was sucked into a black hole, would we know about it? :p

iBlue
Mar 30, 2010, 10:35 AM
It's going to take them some time to compile all the data but I can't wait to hear more about it.

bartelby
Mar 30, 2010, 10:41 AM
It's going to take them some time to compile all the data but I can't wait to hear more about it.

I'm sure Brian Cox can't wait to travel the world and tell us...

iBlue
Mar 30, 2010, 10:48 AM
I'm sure Brian Cox can't wait to travel the world and tell us...

:D Aww, I love him! He explains vastly complicated topics in the most eloquent, bite-sized and understandable way. I like that he tries to make science less intimidating.

SpookTheHamster
Mar 30, 2010, 11:01 AM
He's good when he talks about more complicated things. The BBC programme looks very pretty but is massively dumbed down.

I can't imagine how much data there must be to look through now.

iBlue
Mar 30, 2010, 11:08 AM
He's good when he talks about more complicated things. The BBC programme looks very pretty but is massively dumbed down.

Definitely but I think that's the point. To make it all less daunting and scary for the average person out there but still keep it interesting enough. It's like a gateway drug to proper astrophysics!

(for anyone not sure what we're on about, here's a link (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00qyxfb) but if you're outside the UK, the video won't work)

RawBert
Mar 30, 2010, 11:27 AM
Incredible. I wonder how many other civilizations across the universe have done this before.

bartelby
Mar 30, 2010, 11:28 AM
:D Aww, I love him! He explains vastly complicated topics in the most eloquent, bite-sized and understandable way. I like that he tries to make science less intimidating.

Yeah, just not so sure about him having to travel around the world to do it...

Counterfit
Mar 30, 2010, 07:39 PM

Personally, I'm more partial to Neil deGrasse Tyson...

obeygiant
Mar 30, 2010, 10:04 PM
http://hasthelargehadroncolliderdestroyedtheworldyet.com/

I think they're within a billionth of a second of the big bang now. Crazy!

mkrishnan
Mar 31, 2010, 07:25 AM
Call me when you've found a Higgs boson... :eek: :D

pooky
Mar 31, 2010, 09:02 AM
Incredible. I wonder how many other civilizations across the universe have done this before.

That should be easy to figure out. Just count the number of black holes that are approximately Earth-sized. :)

Submerged
Mar 31, 2010, 09:54 AM
That should be easy to figure out. Just count the number of black holes that are approximately Earth-sized. :)

ha!!! But you mean, would have been earth sized :P since the event horizon of the hole would be approx. 9mm...try finding that in space. Reassuring, isn't it..

obeygiant
Mar 31, 2010, 01:46 PM
Particle physicists had been waiting for this day for more than two decades. 26 years after the LHC program began, conducted its first successful particle collisions . “It’s a great day to be a particle physicist,” said CERN Director General Rolf Heuer in a stement. “A lot of people have waited a long time for this moment, but their patience and dedication is starting to pay dividends.”
“With these record-shattering collision energies, the LHC experiments are propelled into a vast region to explore, and the hunt begins for dark matter, new forces, new dimensions and the Higgs boson,” said Fabiola Gianotti, spokesman for the LHC leading Atlas experiment. “The fact that the experiments have published papers already on the basis of last year’s data bodes very well for this first physics run.”
So, how much is 7 TeV, which is calculated by the combined energy of 3.5 TeV for the proton and anti-proton beam? 1 eV is equal to the amount of kinetic energy gained by a single unbound electron when it accelerates through an electric potential difference of one volt. In plain numbers, 1 eV equals 1.602176487(40)×10−19 Joules. In comparison, a single molecule floating in air has the energy of 0.04 eV.
Apply these energy levels to particle beams, however, and you see the enormous dimensions of the LHC. To get the LHC to its maximum collision energy of 14 TeV, particle beams are travelling in bunches of 3000 or about 1 billion particles at a speed of 670,616,429 mph – or about 99.9% of the speed of light. The beam will travel through the 27 km (17 mile) LHC ring structure consisting of a pipe that runs through 1746 magnets (1232 dipoles and 514 quadrupoles, located 150 – 450 ft below the surface) 11,745 times per second. The energy level of each beam at 7 TeV is comparable to an average car that is travelling at 1000 mph. If you intended to build your own LHC, you would need 2.3 trillion flat 3 volt batteries to achieve the same particle beam energy level.
In fact, the energy created is difficult to understand and to control. When I visited the Tevatron in August 2007, which has been conducting particle collisions outside Batavia, IL at energy levels of close to 1.8 TeV, the system had just recovered from a beam loss, which saw a 0.98 TeV particle beam burn through 5 ft of solid steel within 16 ns. In the LHC, collisions are believed to create conditions that are more than 100,000 times hotter than the heart of the Sun.
Physicists hope that this will be enough to melt protons and neutrons to freeing the quarks from their bonds with gluons. In theory, the result would be a state of matter called quark-gluon plasma, which is believed to have existed just after the Big Bang when the Universe. Ultimately, scientists hope that the experiments will shake out the Higgs Boson, which is the only standard model particle that has not been observed yet. An experimental detection of the Higgs boson is likely to lead to the explanation of the origin of mass in the universe.
The LHC runs six detector experiments, including ATLAS, which chases the Higgs Boson; ALICE plans to study the quark-gluon plasma; CMS creates a magnetic field of 4 teslas, about 100 000 times that of the Earth; LHCb aims to explain why we live in a Universe that appears to be composed almost entirely of matter, but no antimatter by investigating the slight differences between matter and antimatter by studying a type of particle called the ‘beauty quark’, or ‘b quark’.
In the past, the LHC has fueled fears on uncontrollable chain reactions that turn the collider into a ticking time bomb and threaten the existence of earth. For example, some speculated that the collider could produce dangerous cosmic rays, black holes, strangelets, vacuum bubbles and magnetic monopoles.
However, the LHC team dismissed all concerns, stating that nature is consistently creating cosmic rays on earth without any visible effects, microscopic black holes at the LHC refer to particles produced in the collisions of pairs of protons, each of which has an energy comparable to that of a mosquito in flight and astronomic black holes are much heavier than those that could be produced at the LHC. Also, the creation of strangelets and vacuum bubbles is dismissed as purely hypothetical at this point and speculation about the creation of magnetic monopoles indicates that such monopoles would be too heavy to be produced at the LHC.link (http://www.conceivablytech.com/370/science-research/lhc-the-chase-for-the-higgs-boson-is-on/)

Don't panic
Mar 31, 2010, 02:59 PM
Call me when you've found a Higgs boson... :eek: :D

close enough...

http://www.carlschaad.com/blog/blogpics/higgs-bison.jpg

pooky
Mar 31, 2010, 03:10 PM
ha!!! But you mean, would have been earth sized :P since the event horizon of the hole would be approx. 9mm...try finding that in space. Reassuring, isn't it..

Well of course I meant mass when I said size. And you're right, there's a bit of a needle-in-haystack problem. But that's for the physicists to solve, I'm just here to provide the ideas.

Mintin8
Mar 31, 2010, 05:46 PM
This is so interesting. Hopefully we find a lot more about anti-matter/higgs boson.

And roll on 14TeV in 2012/2013!!!!!!

iBlue
Apr 1, 2010, 07:26 AM
More findings...

High energy collisions reveal a paleoparticle (http://user.web.cern.ch/user/news/2010/100401.html)

Physicists working on the LHC results have announced their first discovery: a hideous particle from the prehistory of the Universe

The news is historic, or rather "prehistoric" to be more precise! It has taken two physicists studying the collisions at 7 TeV in the centre of mass on 30 March only two days to make an astonishing discovery. From their precise analysis of four events, Alain Grand and Ricarda Owen have found evidence of a new, massive neutral particle thought to have existed in the very early Universe. "It's awful", explains Alain Grand, still shocked by the discovery. "It left horrible tracks inside the detector that made the physicists on duty at the time feel quite sick". No wonder. The particle consists of two strange quarks and one top quark but no beauty or charm quark. The physicists have nicknamed it the "neutrinosaurus" because of its repulsive appearance and prehistoric origins.

Hints of the new particle had already been glimpsed in two events at Fermilab but the statistics were too low to be published. The four events observed at the LHC generated an exponential increase (22=4) in the statistics, allowing the physicists to announce the discovery unequivocally.

The discovery of the particle, which had hitherto been postulated only by an impassioned physicist doing a bit of theory in his spare time, has the potential to turn current theory on its head and to send the entire theory community back to the drawing board. "One important consequence is that all the particles we know today must have had a prehistoric twin", says Ricarda Owen. There will have been a protonosaurus ancestor for the proton (not to be confused with the many-protoned brontosaurus), the electron will have descended from the electronosaurus, and so on. It remains to be seen whether these paleoparticles had antimatter doubles, such as antineutrinosauruses and other antiparticulosauruses. "That's what we're going to be concentrating our efforts on finding now", says Alain Grand. "If they existed, we expect them tobe the exact opposite of the paleoparticles we've found so far, in other words extremely elegant". Whatever happens, the discovery has opened up paleoparticle physics as a unique and exciting new field of research!

mkrishnan
Apr 1, 2010, 07:29 AM
More findings...

Nice. :D Happy April Fools' Day! :)

AdamA9
Apr 1, 2010, 07:36 AM

We're a while away yet from getting this thing up to speed. Just you wait :rolleyes: LOL

iBlue
Apr 1, 2010, 07:48 AM
Nice. :D Happy April Fools' Day! :)

Awwww, you never know, could be true! :D

ucfgrad93
Apr 1, 2010, 08:12 AM
It is nice to see that this is up and running finally.

RawBert
Apr 1, 2010, 01:58 PM
I was watching a discussion on Charlie Rose about the LHC last night. (http://www.charlierose.com/view/interview/10943)

The LHC will produce 10 times the amount of data that is currently in all the internet - IN JUST ONE YEAR.

:eek: *gasp* Holy Crap! That's a lot of bytes.

As of 2009 the entire internet was estimated to contain close to 500 exabytes. (http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2009/may/18/digital-content-expansion)

1 EB = 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 B = 10(to the power of 18) bytes or 1 billion gigabytes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exabyte)

I think that comes to 5 Sextillion bytes (5 ZettaBytes) of information in one year.

Jelite
Apr 3, 2010, 07:57 AM
This is so interesting. Hopefully we find a lot more about anti-matter/higgs boson.

And roll on 14TeV in 2012/2013!!!!!!

For god's sake don't do 14 Tev in 2012, talk about tempting fate!:D

mkrishnan
Apr 5, 2010, 09:56 AM
In other amusing LHC news... I missed this April Fool's article, but Google News picked it up today:

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/gadgets/0,39029552,49305387,00.htm

A would-be saboteur arrested today at the Large Hadron Collider in Switzerland made the bizarre claim that he was from the future. Eloi Cole, a strangely dressed young man, said that he had travelled back in time to prevent the LHC from destroying the world.

The LHC successfully collided particles at record force earlier this week, a milestone Mr Cole was attempting to disrupt by stopping supplies of Mountain Dew to the experiment's vending machines. He also claimed responsibility for the infamous baguette sabotage in November last year.

Mr Cole was seized by Swiss police after CERN security guards spotted him rooting around in bins. He explained that he was looking for fuel for his 'time machine power unit', a device that resembled a kitchen blender.

Police said Mr Cole, who was wearing a bow tie and rather too much tweed for his age, would not reveal his country of origin. "Countries do not exist where I am from. The discovery of the Higgs boson led to limitless power, the elimination of poverty and Kit-Kats for everyone. It is a communist chocolate hellhole and I'm here to stop it ever happening."

This isn't the first time time-travel has been blamed for mishaps at the LHC. Last year, the Japanese physicist Masao Ninomiya and Danish string-theory pioneer Holger Bech Nielsen put forward the hypothesis that the Higgs boson was so "abhorrent" that it somehow caused a ripple in time that prevented its own discovery.

Professor Brian Cox, a former CERN physicist and full-time rock'n'roll TV scientist, was sympathetic to Mr Cole. "Bless him, he sounds harmless enough. At least he didn't mention bloody black holes."

Mr Cole was taken to a secure mental health facility in Geneva but later disappeared from his cell. Police are baffled, but not that bothered.

Delicious. Hope Google News realized it's a joke. I am gravely concerned, however, at the notion that there is such a thing as "too much" tweed.

Dagless
Apr 5, 2010, 10:39 AM
^
Simon Pegg did it better. I can't find the tweet now but something about "A man claiming to be Brian Cox's great grandson was arrested after trying to sabotage the LHC, the following morning he had vanished from his cell."

Or something :o.

And Brian, he was born in my town and lives in the village over. All of a sudden I can finally do an impersonation of someone famous :D.

Signal-11
Apr 5, 2010, 12:18 PM
How utterly unnecessary. Everyone knows that the future is already stopping itself from happening.

FrankieTDouglas
Apr 5, 2010, 03:10 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/31/science/31collider.html?hp (among others)

And I was hoping we'd all FlashForward for two minutes and seventeen seconds...

the vj
Apr 5, 2010, 07:46 PM

The chances are that plenty and they realized they wasted a lot of money into something that was not such big deal after all.

.Andy
Apr 6, 2010, 01:14 AM
The chances are that plenty and they realized they wasted a lot of money into something that was not such big deal after all.
Quite a crystal ball you've got there ;).

rubirock
Apr 6, 2010, 01:39 AM
Personally, I'm more partial to Neil deGrasse Tyson...
x2!
my wife and i met him when he came to portland, nice fellow. funny too, he flicked off the camera in the photo we took with him...

i'm very happy that the LHC is up and running...it's an exciting time to be around. i wonder how future earthlings will view this period in history....

RobLS
Apr 7, 2010, 05:18 AM

Right now, I think I prefer theoretical physicist Michio Kaku.

patrick0brien
Apr 7, 2010, 10:04 AM
More findings...

High energy collisions reveal a paleoparticle

I'll bet it said "Raaaarrrrg!" and had bad breath too.

Right now, I think I prefer theoretical physicist Michio Kaku.

I'd certainly like to have a beer with that guy.

Signal-11
Apr 7, 2010, 10:37 AM
I'd certainly like to have a beer with that guy.

Michio Kaku? Trust me, no, you wouldn't.

patrick0brien
Apr 7, 2010, 10:38 AM

Really? Why? Do tell...

RawBert
Apr 7, 2010, 11:11 AM

Why not? :confused: He seems like a great guy with a good sense of humor. Not to mention one of the greatest scientific minds of our time.

You got some dirt on him? ;) Is he a secret freak???

whooleytoo
Apr 7, 2010, 08:25 PM
Whew.. (http://hasthelargehadroncolliderdestroyedtheworldyet.com/)

Are there any images/videos of the LHC in action? Why do I get the feeling it would be a massive disappointment.. Or, perhaps more accurately, a very, very tiny and very, very brief pleasure?

RawBert
Apr 7, 2010, 08:42 PM
Whew.. (http://hasthelargehadroncolliderdestroyedtheworldyet.com/)

Are there any images/videos of the LHC in action? Why do I get the feeling it would be a massive disappointment.. Or, perhaps more accurately, a very, very tiny and very, very brief pleasure?

I haven't seen actual footage of a collision. I don't even know if they can be seen as we typically see things, but here's a link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaDRu9sV_zs&feature=youtube_gdata) showing how the LHC works.