Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

144832-ipad_right_side.jpg

Reuters takes a look at the security surrounding Apple product launches, using iPhone introductions as an example of what Apple retail staff can expect for the iPad's U.S. debut this Saturday. Apple, which is known for its secrecy, will almost certainly be keeping its employees in the dark about the iPad up until the last minute, even for those employees who are expected to fix them.
"We haven't seen it; we never do" before a product is launched, said one employee, who asked not to be identified because workers are barred from speaking with the media. "Every store employee I know, including the managers, they haven't seen it."

With its notoriously secretive corporate culture, Apple is loathe to circulate any iPads among retail troops ahead of the debut. Even in-store Apple repair techs -- known as "geniuses" -- don't yet know how to fix the gadget.
Looking back to the iPhone launch, the report notes that at at least one store, Apple shipped two pallets for the launch with one serving as a decoy to deter anyone tempted to try to sneak a peek at the new devices. Store managers were also directed to personally guard the iPhones during the night before their debut as another layer of security.

Despite all of the promotion for the iPad viewable on Apple's site, the company has kept a very close veil around the actual device, with only a select few developers receiving access to devices for development and testing purposes in advance of the tablet's launch, and even in those few cases the development models have been subject to relatively tight security standards.

Article Link: Apple's Product Launch Security Profiled Ahead of iPad Debut

philipt42

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2009
RI
I can't say I'm surprised, but a bit disappointed apple is obsessed with secrecy to the pint of improperly training it's employees.

BJB Productions

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2008
The "Geniuses" aren't going to be so genius when it comes to the first couple of people who have iPad problems... :eek:

stagi

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
It all adds to the alure of their products and keeps them in the news! Even without anyone actually seeing the device it's sold out already for Saturday :)
(myself being one of the pre-orders)

dave1812dave

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2009
Look up "paranoia" in the dictionary. You will find a black-garbed picture of Jobs beside the definition. nuff said.

muskratboy

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2007
How to fix the ipad

how to fix it?

you turn around and grab a white box off the shelf, and give it to the customer.

like these "geniuses" will actually be fixing the ipad. lol. :p

dave1812dave

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2009
how to fix it?

you turn around and grab a white box off the shelf, and give it to the customer.

like these "geniuses" will actually be fixing the ipad. lol. :p

exactly--like when my first, and brand new Touch didn't function with some apps, even after a wipe--the "genius" handed me another new touch, which has been working just fine for the last 18+ months.

jmorrison0722

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2007
Cupertino
Very true

It's all very true. Like many, I used to work in a store and the secrecy was out of control. In fact, in many circumstances it has actually backfired on Apple, turning its own employees against them for lack of trust. Even the inventory and managers didn't always know when something was coming...they would just see a new stock number show up in the system without a description.

Case in point...I was a manager at the time of the iPhone launch in which the store closed and reopened at 6PM. I didn't see the iPhone in person until the store was closed and we began setting up display units.

It's excessive, to say the least.

Friscohoya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Oaktown
Rediculous...

There had better be at least one surprise coming for all of this hassle! Though I guess it doesnt affect me at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.