PDA

View Full Version : Slingbox software for iPad?

LadyHoneyBabe
Mar 30, 2010, 02:27 PM
Anyone use Slingbox software and plan on using it for iPad?

gwynne
Mar 30, 2010, 02:30 PM
I'm somewhat interested but I already have a lot of entertainment hardware (such as TiVoHD) and the Sling solution appears to be a minimum $300 hardware investment up front.

Unless I'm mistaken, it's not just a matter of getting the app.

thrill5one6
Mar 30, 2010, 02:33 PM
Yes i plan on using slingbox on the ipad. I have the old slingbox AV. I hear there will be a new app released for the ipad to increase resolution

MiguelS
Mar 30, 2010, 02:33 PM
Curious if anyone has used the older Slingboxs with their current Apple apps. It mentions you need the newer models and I just dont want to upg. :(

Slingbox Requirements:
•A Slingbox SOLO, Slingbox PRO, or Slingbox PRO-HD
•The Slingbox AV, Slingbox TUNER, and Slingbox Classic are not fully supported for use with SlingPlayer Mobile for iPhone & iPod touch. A Slingbox SOLO, Slingbox PRO, or Slingbox PRO-HD is highly recommended.

seattle
Mar 30, 2010, 02:35 PM
Curious if anyone has used the older Slingboxs with their current Apple apps. It mentions you need the newer models and I just dont want to upg. :(

The older models work fine although Sling with not support them.

alia
Mar 30, 2010, 02:38 PM
I don't have a slingbox, but it is something I am considering purchasing in the future (maybe around Christmas). I want to give it time to see where it is going. I really like the idea of being able to use it on the ipad though. That's a huge selling point for me.

thrill5one6
Mar 30, 2010, 02:40 PM
The older models work fine although Sling with not support them.
I have the AV model now. What should I upgrade to for improved resolution? Last time I compared the models, there wasn't a big difference

they all seem to have the same picture quality when out of your home network

thrill5one6
Mar 30, 2010, 02:55 PM
http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo11/CnRBigFan/4f04d13d.jpg
http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo11/CnRBigFan/a7205952.jpg

bluehaze013
Mar 30, 2010, 03:37 PM
I'm somewhat interested but I already have a lot of entertainment hardware (such as TiVoHD) and the Sling solution appears to be a minimum $300 hardware investment up front.

Unless I'm mistaken, it's not just a matter of getting the app.

it's 150 bucks for slingbox solo that does HD, I think the other one is 99 that doesn't do HD.

gwynne
Mar 30, 2010, 04:31 PM
it's 150 bucks for slingbox solo that does HD, I think the other one is 99 that doesn't do HD.

Would have to be HD, and it looks like the SOLO is $180, but I take your point, I didn't see the cheaper model.

Chupa Chupa
Mar 30, 2010, 04:44 PM

Slingbox Requirements:
•A Slingbox SOLO, Slingbox PRO, or Slingbox PRO-HD
•The Slingbox AV, Slingbox TUNER, and Slingbox Classic are not fully supported for use with SlingPlayer Mobile for iPhone & iPod touch. A Slingbox SOLO, Slingbox PRO, or Slingbox PRO-HD is highly recommended.

Only the newer models have h.264 encoding. That is why they are required. Older models only do Flash.

bluehaze013
Mar 30, 2010, 08:09 PM
Would have to be HD, and it looks like the SOLO is $180, but I take your point, I didn't see the cheaper model.

You can get it on Amazon for 150 and free shipping, i'll probably order one but not until the slingbox app is available for ipad in case I decide I don't like the ipad or something.

MisterL99
Mar 30, 2010, 08:26 PM
i'm going to wait to see how the current app works with the iPad before i consider buying a new app which i'm sure is coming for the iPad. I'll be waiting until late April though to see how it looks. i'll be sure to check back here to find what the experiences are with the iPhone sling app and how it looks on the iPad after the wi-fi users get theirs and try it out. I'm not looking forward to spending another $40 large on this app, although its one of the main reasons i've pre-ordered. Rock/hard place.

cheapa55
Mar 30, 2010, 10:34 PM
I've been wanting to get an slingbox HD after I sold my slingbox tuner 2 yrs ago. This might finally push me over the edge. I miss my slingbox.....

Ronnoco
Jun 18, 2011, 03:29 PM
I know this is an old thread but I did a search and this is what came up at the top...
Anyway, I'm a longtime Slingbox user...had the original, then an A/V (Which worked reasonable well with my iPhone 4), and I finally just upgraded to the HD Pro which I REALLY didn't want to have to do at $300+ US and I held out upgrading for as long as I could but when I recently purchased my new 64GB AT&T 3G iPad 2, the SlingPlayer for iPad wouldn't work with my older AV...
Well, I have to say that the HD Pro on the iPad2 is simply stunning...the picture in HQ rivals my Sony NX710 and even in SQ, the PQ is outstanding and the streaming is pretty rock solid even in public wifi areas...I havent tried it on 3G yet but I will this weekend...

Aeolius
Jun 26, 2011, 02:12 PM
I gave up on using my Slingbox some time ago, as it never seemed to work. Today I decided to revisit the project.

In theory, if I run coax cable from the wall into the Time-Warner Tuning Adapter (required when using HD TiVos), then run HDMI from the Tuning Adapter to the Tivo, I could then run component output from the TiVo to the Slingbox (no HDMI on Slingbox), followed by component output from the Slingbox to the AV receiver. From the receiver I'm running Wireless HDMI to the TV. Since Slingbox has no HDMI and the TiVo cannot output HDMI and component simultaneously, that seems to be my only option.

I also ran into another snag, running a wireless network. The Slingbox will work, in theory, with an Airport Express. However I can only get my Airport Extreme and Time Capsule to get signal into the Slingbox. I think it's because my Airport Express is an older (802.11g) model, but I am not sure.

We shall see.

ea9
Jun 26, 2011, 02:17 PM
I use the iPhone and the iPad app all the time. I connect to my home Slingbox Pro-HD and my work Solo with no problem. However the initial configuration takes some time to get right if you've never done it before. Opening the right ports on the router, the correct TCP settings etc etc.
Also to get decent graphics you will need an upload speed of at least 700kbps (stable, not advertised speed) to get 480p and for 720p at least 1.5mbps. Optimal conditions for quick paced sports in my opinion is 900kbps and 2.2mbps for HD.
I have a 7mbps upload at home and it's pretty amazing how high the quality can get for streaming !

Ronnoco
Jun 26, 2011, 02:27 PM
I use the iPhone and the iPad app all the time. I connect to my home Slingbox Pro-HD and my work Solo with no problem. However the initial configuration takes some time to get right if you've never done it before. Opening the right ports on the router, the correct TCP settings etc etc.
Also to get decent graphics you will need an upload speed of at least 700kbps (stable, not advertised speed) to get 480p and for 720p at least 1.5mbps. Optimal conditions for quick paced sports in my opinion is 900kbps and 2.2mbps for HD.
I have a 7mbps upload at home and it's pretty amazing how high the quality can get for streaming !

I continue to be amazed by the PQ of the Slingbox Pro HD...

Aeolius
Jun 26, 2011, 05:08 PM
Yep. That's half the battle. I purchased a new (802.11n) Airport Express and Slingbox found it without a hitch. Now to see if I can kick the kids off the PS3 long enough to hook everything up before True Blood, tonight.

Ronnoco
Jun 26, 2011, 05:29 PM
In a related note, just an FYI for those of you who are upgrading from an older Sling AV or similar older SlingBox model...
After purchasing the new SlingBox HD Pro, I had no problem getting both the iPad2 and iPhone 4 players working in HD but I couldn't get either my 15" i5 MBP or my 11" MBA to stream in HD through the player app...

I called Slingmedia support and they told me that the Mac player apps do not stream in HD and you must use the web-based player in either Safari or FireFox (they do not yet support Chrome) to get the HD stream...

After setting up the web-based player, it did in fact stream in beautiful HD on both the MBP and the MBA...

CrAkD
Jun 26, 2011, 06:29 PM
i use the iphone app because i completely refuse to buy the same $30 app again for ipad.

Ronnoco
Jun 26, 2011, 06:36 PM
i use the iphone app because i completely refuse to buy the same $30 app again for ipad.

I felt the same way as I use the iPhone app almost daily...Heck, I had to shell out $300 because my SlingBox AV doesn't even work with iPad2...BUT...I have to say, it is absolutely GORGEOUS on the iPad2...I reluctantly and begrudgingly admit that it was WAY worth the money...

Alucardx03
Jun 26, 2011, 06:49 PM
I felt the same way as I use the iPhone app almost daily...Heck, I had to shell out $300 because my SlingBox AV doesn't even work with iPad2...BUT...I have to say, it is absolutely GORGEOUS on the iPad2...I reluctantly and begrudgingly admit that it was WAY worth the money...

+1

And, as an added bonus, with iOS5 you can wirelessly stream the app, full-screen, to your TV.

For example, I've got a Solo hooked up to my parent's TV and, at my house, I can watch a high-quality stream of their DVR, wirelessly on my projector! Pretty damn cool.

CrAkD
Jun 26, 2011, 06:51 PM
well my only apple tv is on the same tv as the sling so air play is kind of pointless. The iphone 4 version doesnt look totally terrible on the ipad. ill probably give in eventually.

Ronnoco
Jun 26, 2011, 06:58 PM
+1

And, as an added bonus, with iOS5 you can wirelessly stream the app, full-screen, to your TV.

For example, I've got a Solo hooked up to my parent's TV and, at my house, I can watch a high-quality stream of their DVR, wirelessly on my projector! Pretty damn cool.

Now THAT is cool! :D

(will I need an Apple tv to do that?)...

Alucardx03
Jun 26, 2011, 07:13 PM
Now THAT is cool! :D

(will I need an Apple tv to do that?)...

Yep, you'd need an Apple TV. But, at only $99, it's a small additional investment for your Slingbox setup.

When I downloaded iOS5 on my iPad, I was skeptical of the quality I'd get (considering it was wireless) but I was very, very surprised. It's literally the exact same as connecting the iPad via HDMI. And, because the Slingplayer app supports video out, the wireless signal automatically fills the entire screen.

It's truly incredible.

Alucardx03
Jun 26, 2011, 07:17 PM
Just to give you a "real world" example...

In the last week, I did some traveling for work. They always set me up at nice places, and most of those hotels have the large, LCD screens. I took my iPad and my Apple TV, connected to the wireless network, and streamed my home TV to my hotel TV and controlled everything with the iPad.

Ronnoco
Jun 26, 2011, 07:40 PM
Just to give you a "real world" example...

In the last week, I did some traveling for work. They always set me up at nice places, and most of those hotels have the large, LCD screens. I took my iPad and my Apple TV, connected to the wireless network, and streamed my home TV to my hotel TV and controlled everything with the iPad.

Epic! My only problem will be I'm out of wired connections on my Airport Extreme...I only have three out and I'm already using them for my MacBook Pro (connected to my 27" ACD), my Sony BluRay player (which I use to stream NetFlix) and my SlingBox Pro HD...I reckon I can just get an 8 port switch and have endless inputs...LOL

Alucardx03
Jun 26, 2011, 07:46 PM
Epic! My only problem will be I'm out of wired connections on my Airport Extreme...I only have three out and I'm already using them for my MacBook Pro (connected to my 27" ACD), my Sony BluRay player (which I use to stream NetFlix) and my SlingBox Pro HD...I reckon I can just get an 8 port switch and have endless inputs...LOL

Well, you're in luck because the Apple TV is wireless!

Ronnoco
Jun 26, 2011, 09:01 PM
Well, you're in luck because the Apple TV is wireless!

Sweet! My Sony NX710 is wireless also but I prefer to use my wired BluRay player for streaming. I just keep the TV connected for updates from Sony...
I'm thinking I should have the ATV wired for streaming as opposed to a wireless connection (even though I use a pure N network at 5GHz and the Airport Extreme router is about a foot from where the ATV will be)...

ajvizzgamer101
Jun 26, 2011, 09:34 PM
Anyone use Slingbox software and plan on using it for iPad?

I paid for it for iPhone. It is a cool service but I won't be getting it for my iPad.

redrog
Jul 21, 2011, 05:54 AM
I've got a Slingbox PRO (non HD), I notice that both the iPad and iPhone apps say that it is no longer supported.

Does anyone know if either actually work despite this? Don't want to waste £20 on the off chance.

Or alternatively, is there a way to get an older version of the app onton my devices?

dawgfang
Jul 21, 2011, 06:40 AM
I love my slingbox hd. I use it almost everyday on an ipad2 over 3g. VERY good picture!!
I was not happy about cost at first and then wondered why I waited.

sbddude
Jul 21, 2011, 01:07 PM
I've got a Slingbox PRO (non HD), I notice that both the iPad and iPhone apps say that it is no longer supported.

Does anyone know if either actually work despite this? Don't want to waste £20 on the off chance.

Or alternatively, is there a way to get an older version of the app onton my devices?

The iphone client works on the ipad in 2x mode with ANY slingbox. it says "it's not supported but may work". You can ignore this message and it's fine.

The ipad native client only works with pro-HD or Solo. It fills the whole screen and has edge controls.

In your case the iphone client will work fine on your ipad.

redrog
Jul 21, 2011, 04:30 PM
The iphone client works on the ipad in 2x mode with ANY slingbox. it says "it's not supported but may work". You can ignore this message and it's fine.

The ipad native client only works with pro-HD or Solo. It fills the whole screen and has edge controls.

In your case the iphone client will work fine on your ipad.

Sorted. Thanks.

aneftp
Jul 21, 2011, 07:00 PM

I second that. $30 is quite a bit already for an app. It should be a universal app.

I too use my iPhone sling app for my iPad.