Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

godslabrat

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 19, 2007
According to the New York Times, Google, Intel, and Sony are teaming up for an ambitious project called Google TV that should result in the next-generation networked TV sets built around an open-source variant of the Android software found in smartphones. We’re talking eye-candy menus like on the Apple TV, web videos from the places like YouTube and Hulu, premium TV channels streamed on-demand, and endless customization options via third-party apps “installed” directly on your tube via a built-in app store. In short, Google TV could be everything that Apple TV should have been.

Read more: http://www.geek.com/articles/apple/opinion-google-tv-much-more-than-a-hobby-way-cooler-than-apple-tv-20100319/

So Steve... is it time to get serious about the AppleTV yet?

wombat888

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2008
It could be cool, but it's vaporware. When/if it reaches the market, I'll switch if I like it better.

iTunes library and ease of use will be key parts of the equation - I'm more interested in that than I am in a laundry list of features.

I did buy a Nexus One instead of an iPhone so I'm certainly receptive to Google if they do it in a way I like more - but I tend to think the Apple TV is grossly underappreciated, both by the market and by pundits. I would tell anybody that if they buy one, they'll love it within two weeks. But people who aren't exposed to it don't even know what it is, and to the extent they do know, it doesn't resonate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.