PDA

View Full Version : Use SD Card in Camera Connection Kit as Extra Storage?

appleguy123
Mar 30, 2010, 07:07 PM
I did Mroogle this but didn't find a thread for this, although it seems an obvious question.

Do you think that it will be possible (with a jailbreak) to use the SD/flash drive as storage for music and videos?

I cannot justify the expense of the higher priced iPads, so I was wondering if you think this will be possible, and of any limitations this solution could offer.

Also this is just simply curiosity: What part of speech is the word "iPad"? A noun seems the obvious answer but when Apple speaks of the iPad they never use an article (a, an ,the,some...) (ie. Use iPad to view photos, instead of use an iPAd...).
Thanks for responses.

GadgetX
Mar 30, 2010, 07:20 PM
This has come up many many times don't know why you couldn't find anything.. But to be short no one knows. It's unclear what limitations the camera connection kit will have.

appleguy123
Mar 30, 2010, 07:31 PM
This has come up many many times don't know why you couldn't find anything.. But to be short no one knows. It's unclear what limitations the camera connection kit will have.

I searched "Ipad Camera Connection Kit extra space" and didn't find anything and then went through the first few pages of "Ipad camera connections kit" and didn't find anything.

gwynne
Mar 30, 2010, 07:37 PM
Am I the only one who keeps thinking "memory is not the same as storage" when these threads pop up?

appleguy123
Mar 30, 2010, 07:38 PM
Am I the only one who keeps thinking "memory is not the same as storage" when these threads pop up?

Sorry, I know the difference, just make that mistake from time to time. Thanks for pointing it out!

gan6660
Mar 30, 2010, 07:49 PM
There is a new device called air stash that wirelessy expands storage through sd cards in any device that has wifi. The downside the device costs $99.

gwynne
Mar 30, 2010, 07:50 PM
Sorry, I know the difference, just make that mistake from time to time. Thanks for pointing it out!

It's a common mistake. Sorry that yours was the thread in which I finally couldn't keep my mouth shut. :)

appleguy123
Mar 30, 2010, 07:56 PM
It's a common mistake. Sorry that yours was the thread in which I finally couldn't keep my mouth shut. :)

It's not a problem, I'm not one of those bitter people who get mad when people correct them.

There is a new device called air stash that wirelessy expands storage through sd cards in any device that has wifi. The downside the device costs $99.
That sounds awesome! Do you know if it will be possible to play these files natively on the iPod app?

RMXO
Mar 30, 2010, 08:02 PM

Thanks, I never heard of it until you mentioned it here. Here's the link for all who are curious about it.

http://www.airstash.com/

gan6660
Mar 30, 2010, 08:05 PM
That sounds awesome! Do you know if it will be possible to play these files natively on the iPod app?

You have to play the files through a web page that the device will setup. The website explains it much better. I think I will pick one up soon also.

appleguy123
Mar 30, 2010, 08:14 PM
You have to play the files through a web page that the device will setup. The website explains it much better. I think I will pick one up soon also.

Yes, I read the page, I was wondering if it will be possible in the future.

appleguy123
May 7, 2010, 07:20 PM
Just incase anyone still cares: You can mount external hard-drives to your jailbroken iPad using this guide http://time-more.com/ipad

applesupergeek
Jul 5, 2010, 07:31 AM
I didn't want to start a new thread seeing as this is helpful enough.

So, what's the state of external storage with the camera connection kit?

a. Can it be used as storage without jailbreaking the ipad?

b. Does it allow for the newer sd card protocol (sdxc - as the mac mini has)

c. How easy is it for apps to access files via it, either before or after jailbreaking?

d. What about external hd storage?

Thanks to anyone for the heads up.

Zodiak
Jul 5, 2010, 08:46 AM
I hear if you Jailbreak you can use an app called iFile to read files from the SD card

From A Buick 8
Jan 2, 2011, 01:11 PM
I hear if you Jailbreak you can use an app called iFile to read files from the SD card

So where are we at on this, any break throughs on being able to play files directly from the SD card.

frifra
Jan 14, 2011, 03:24 AM
Assuming it works, what about the speed? I find the reading speed kind of slow, when I watch/copy pictures from an sd card (Class 6).

From A Buick 8
Jan 26, 2011, 11:59 AM
I may be taking a trip to China, i would like to but a couple of SD cards to store extra movies and TV Shows on. Is there a way to play them directly from the SD card using the Camera Connection kit.

Or if i can not play from the card can i somehow load them onto the iPad and then play.

j3yq
Jan 26, 2011, 12:05 PM
I may be taking a trip to China, i would like to but a couple of SD cards to store extra movies and TV Shows on. Is there a way to play them directly from the SD card using the Camera Connection kit.

Or if i can not play from the card can i somehow load them onto the iPad and then play.

If you jailbreak your Ipad you can use the CCK and an SD card to play videos and such using ifile.

From A Buick 8
Jan 26, 2011, 09:23 PM
If you jailbreak your Ipad you can use the CCK and an SD card to play videos and such using ifile.

Thank you for the reply, so is JB the only way to do this.

Carl G35c
Jan 27, 2011, 10:35 AM
Thank you for the reply, so is JB the only way to do this.

yes

Romeosc
Mar 26, 2012, 03:46 PM
Without Jailbreak you can buy an AirStash (airstash.com)

AirStash creates it's on wifi network plus you can take an SD card full of pictures, import to iPad, insert blank SD card and copy pictures and files to new SD card for a safe copy while still traveling. I am going on. A Safari to Tanzania and want to back up irreplaceable pictures while in field with no electricity. I can charge devices from safari vehicle!

elmo151
Mar 26, 2012, 03:51 PM
try these links

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4101?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

http://www.apple.com/ipad/from-the-app-store/apps-by-apple/iphoto.html

otewguy
Jul 4, 2012, 05:52 PM
It is correct.
By using SD Card, we can expand the storage capacity of iPad.

1. Plug in the SD card into the Camera Connection Kit, then plug it at the iPad.
2. Open iFile, then you can tap on the Flash Disk, to access the contents. So far only read only capacity.
3. To make other apps capable of accessing the SD Card, select the folder on SD Card, tap Copy/Link, then paste it on the Documents or Library folder of the corresponding app. I can use this to have my GoodPlayer plays unconverted movies, and GoodReader for various storage. So far still read only capacity.
4. Using this symbolic link technique as outlined on number 3, it is possible to have a combination of working folder sharing between apps. I managed to have some editable files in my iPad combined in the Documents folder of GoodReader which is accessible and editable by Quickoffice.