PDA

View Full Version : iMac G5 was actually presented in 2002??

edwood
Sep 12, 2004, 05:06 PM
Hello everybody (my first post but long time reader)
I was watching old keynotes some days ago and the one with the introduction of iMac G4 imrpessed me a lot for what Steve said.
I've cut the interesting part of the keynote here
http://amug.firenze.net/imac.mov

Now, I know that Steve can say something is stupid and the day after say it is fantastic the very same thing but this one is too big even for him, that cut imac G3 is very very near to imac G5 (thinner and with a stand..)
Probably you already talked about this and I missed it (searching didn't help)
What do you think? :confused:

stoid
Sep 12, 2004, 05:11 PM
He's stating that the reason that they couldn't do an iMac like that is because of technical engineering problems. They had to put the ports on the side and the optical drive was a fat no. It should have seemed obvious to us then that we'd get the design that we now have because the finally overcame those design problems.

edwood
Sep 12, 2004, 05:12 PM
Probably "General Apple and Tech Discussion" was a better place to post?
well sorry to the admin in that case :p

Jo-Kun
Sep 12, 2004, 05:17 PM
some people pointed out what you can hear steve say in the video when everybody was talking about what the iMacG5 would be: a flat panel with all built in... no can do: cables... ****** placed... optical drives are not working optimally... hmmm why the change in mind then? did optical drives improve to run at high speed in whatever position we put them?

some things I really DON'T like about the new iMac: the position of the connectors...
AND the 'Bumper' on the front...

put the connectors next to each other rather than on top of each other makes more sense go in the style of the new displays...
redesign all of the internal hardware so you can devide the space needed on the bottom will go on each side of the screen, in a thinner version than one big 'Bumper'... ok the apple logo would be smaller, but allso more elegant!!

but thats only my opinion, and I have to see one in real... I think that they're great machines and even tough there are some things I dislike about them... if I needed a second desktopsystem at home, I would choose that because the eMac looks very badly in my eyes... I never liked it...

edwood
Sep 12, 2004, 05:20 PM
He's stating that the reason that they couldn't do an iMac like that is because of technical engineering problems. They had to put the ports on the side and the optical drive was a fat no. It should have seemed obvious to us then that we'd get the design that we now have because the finally overcame those design problems.

Yes, I thought the same.
but they kind of recycled an idea trashed 2 years before..
I don't know, it gives me a strange feeling, I like the new iMac G5 but watching this keynote made me think they didn't do so much (I'm talking just about the concept idea and the exterior)

crazzyeddie
Sep 12, 2004, 05:24 PM
You bought up a really good point man.... great memory you have =D

MacMarino
Sep 12, 2004, 05:28 PM
Well maybe Steve just thought, stick it! they want a G5 in an iMac so badly lets just give them something even if it doesnt run optimally :p

Macmarino

stoid
Sep 12, 2004, 05:30 PM
Yes, I thought the same.
but they kind of recycled an idea trashed 2 years before..
I don't know, it gives me a strange feeling, I like the new iMac G5 but watching this keynote made me think they didn't do so much (I'm talking just about the concept idea and the exterior)

That's what so amazing about Apple, they make ideas work. The concept of an all-in-one no bigger that a CRT (for the original iMac) was not novel. The idea of a HD based MP3 player was not new. Apple may not come up with new ideas, but they figure out the best failed ideas and make them work.

wwooden
Sep 12, 2004, 05:52 PM
I like how right at the very end Steve says " and we could NEVER fit a superdrive in there.....", meaning of course in the vertical direction. Obviously, they figured some things out and made it all possible, that's the beauty of technology, it makes the impossible......possible. :)

Phat_Pat
Sep 12, 2004, 05:52 PM
thats funny.

one year they tell us how bad the design for a flat-screen iMac is then two years later they tell us how good of an idea it is.

time changes everything i guess.....

Sayer
Sep 12, 2004, 06:35 PM
If you actually listen to what Steve said, the reasons for not making the G4 iMac like the G5 iMac were more technical then aesthetic. The iMac G5 actually sounds like what they *wanted* to make, but couldn't at that time.

And as for the "bumper" comments, the screen needs to be a certain height off the desk to be comfortable to use. Plus there are several large/bulky components in that "bumper" area that would not fit on either side of the display without a very thick bezel. Specifically the power supply and speakers and air intakes are all along the bottom of the computer and are roughly the thickness of the casing.

If you think you can do better than the iMac G5, why are you not designing computers for Apple or DELL or GatEmachines?

BakedBeans
Sep 12, 2004, 06:46 PM
does anyone have alink to the video of when they released the swing arm imac? i would love to see that..

takao
Sep 12, 2004, 07:20 PM
nice catch....very amusing to see that after the introduction of the imac g5... thanks for the link.... (i loved the "the new imac" and the laughter which followed it ;) priceless....)

Phat_Pat
Sep 12, 2004, 08:07 PM
does anyone have alink to the video of when they released the swing arm imac? i would love to see that..

i would like to see that too

AoWolf
Sep 12, 2004, 09:07 PM
Yeah I have always wanted to wacth the keynotes from before I was macrumors literate.

Sun Baked
Sep 12, 2004, 09:14 PM
You can say a commercial airline spaceplane was presented years ago, and may have even had a model/video of it in action.

But it doesn't mean the idea was a commercial possibility all those years ago -- nor is it something Boeing is keeping from the flight public, because they want to sell 7E7s.

Just like this short video wasn't a viable product at the time... this wasn't the iMac G5.

edwood
Sep 13, 2004, 01:57 AM
If you think you can do better than the iMac G5, why are you not designing computers for Apple or DELL or GatEmachines?

Actually I'm a designer :) , I don't design computers but well, Jonathan Ive was a Fashion designer.
And, as I said, I like the new iMac G5, probably I'll buy one but the keynote just surprised me.

Uh, now that I remember and I'll try to find it on internet, when Ive showed the chopped imac G3 to Steve, he went out of mind for how stupid the idea was.
I'll search for it

munkle
Sep 13, 2004, 08:24 AM
So did anybody manage to find a link to the swing-arm iMac keynote? :)

edwood
Sep 13, 2004, 09:12 AM
So did anybody manage to find a link to the swing-arm iMac keynote? :)

I have on my HD, it's very big, 280mb, I've download it from bittorrent some months ago, I don't know where to find it now

BakedBeans
Sep 13, 2004, 09:29 AM
I have on my HD, it's very big, 280mb, I've download it from bittorrent some months ago, I don't know where to find it now

lets have it then.... ichat it to me please please please then i will ichat it to others...yeah?

edwood
Sep 13, 2004, 09:38 AM
lets have it then.... ichat it to me please please please then i will ichat it to others...yeah?

Ok I can ichat it to you, your nick is in your sign right?
I've added you now you are not connected.
I don't know howlong it will take, I have a DSL connection with 128Kb upstream..
I'm quite always conected but not always around the mac
my nick is mr.topo@mac.com

wdlove
Sep 13, 2004, 11:52 AM
Actually I'm a designer :) , I don't design computers but well, Jonathan Ive was a Fashion designer.
And, as I said, I like the new iMac G5, probably I'll buy one but the keynote just surprised me.

Uh, now that I remember and I'll try to find it on internet, when Ive showed the chopped imac G3 to Steve, he went out of mind for how stupid the idea was.
I'll search for it

It does seem that the designers get out ahead of the engineers abilities. I do think that it stimulates the engineers to come up with the needed technical aspects.

munkle
Sep 13, 2004, 12:16 PM

Is there any way of hosting or seeding it somehow? :)

edwood
Sep 13, 2004, 02:31 PM
Is there any way of hosting or seeding it somehow? :)

probably on something like spymac server, I have an account but never decided to use it, spymac mail works 2 days on 5 for me...

hob
Nov 1, 2004, 10:59 PM
All the old keynotes are still sitting on an Apple server somewhere... I remember seeing a website about 6 months ago where you could view them streaming OR download them in full quicktime format...!! Curses I can remember where it is :mad:

Hob