Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vizfxman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2010
Los Angeles
Hi everyone,

I have a Mac Pro (1,1) on which I'm running Snow Leopard and Windows 7 Pro in boot camp.

I recently upgraded my Mac to 10GB of RAM, and have noticed when I boot into Windows (currently the 32-bit version), it's telling me I have 1.99GB usable.

I figure this is requiring me to install the 64-bit version. This is where I'm stuck.

If I try to run the BootCamp64 installer off of the Snow Leopard disk, I get a message saying "This installation package is not supported by this processor type. Contact your product vendor".

If I put in the W7 64-bit disc and run setup, I get a message that says "This installation disc isn't compatible with your version of Windows. To upgrade, you need the correct installation disc."

Also, when I run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor, it tells me (under the 64-bit tab) that my Apple memory controller GPE event is not compatible.

I'm not sure if the problem stems from the steps I took to get Windows 7 on in the first place. I was running XP home on Boot Camp and bought W7 Pro upgrade. I changed my Boot Camp drive to NTFS and expanded it from 15GB of space to 50. Then I booted into XP, put in the W7 disc, and installed (I was still running Leopard at the time).

Am I missing a step? Is my process of installation to blame? I'm not quite sure what to do at this point.

I'm grateful for any help.

vizfxman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2010
Los Angeles
Thanks for the reply, balamw, and thank you for posting that link.

I'm going to give the install process outlined in that article a try.

My main concern about my system at the moment is the "Apple memory controller GPE event is not compatible" message I'm getting from the Windows Advisor. My purpose in going from the 32-bit version of W7 to 64-bit is gaining access to the additional 8GB of RAM I have installed, and I don't know if the memory controller issue is going to keep me from doing that.

When I click "properties" on "my computer" in W7, it says "10GB (1.99 usable), so I'm hoping that means it won't be an issue.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Since I don't have a Mac Pro 1,1 to try anything on I can't be of any further assistance.

Good Luck!

B

vizfxman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2010
Los Angeles
Hey balamw... thanks so much again for posting here.

I followed this link that was posted in the thread you directed me to, and I am happy to say that I am now running W7 64-bit on my Mac Pro 1,1... AND it's recognizing the full 10GB of RAM. :)

mackiller

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2010
Memory for mac pro

I have always been able to confirm all 16 gigs of ram in my mac pro which is currently running win7 64 bit with no mac sw

In order for theinstall to work.
I had to physically remove the mac hard drive and the fibre channel card from my mac pro and install win7 ultimate 64 bit. Which is fine as i have the mac pro tower for the hardware not for the mac os.

Even in win vista ultimate 64 bit i had to do the same or else the mac pro would crash.
I am currently able to put the fiber channel card and the mac os drive back in for those seldom occasions when i need a mac.

Since then no problems at all
When i want to run mac a shove in the mac hard drive otherwise I only use the mac pro as a win7 machine. For me Boot camp does not fair well with mac pro installs.

or
Have you installed your ram in parallel pairs?
meaning if you want 8 gig you would have to have 2 x4gig cards or one 8 gig card or 4x 2 gig cards,

you cannot use a 3 gig card and a 1 gig card to try to get 4 gigs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.