PDA

View Full Version : Excruciating powerbook keyboard issue

Dave00
Sep 12, 2004, 08:21 PM
Help! This has got me going nuts. While replacing RAM on my beloved Pismo, the Return key came off, and I can't seem to get it back on. Seems like it should sort of snap on, but the tiny plastic tab on the key face may be broken. It doesn't look glue-able either, because it looks like there's a bit of a hinge mechanism. I guess I could get a replacement keyboard for ~$60, but it seems like a bit of overkill for just one key. Does anybody know of a technique for (1) reattaching the key, assuming it's still reattachable, or (2) fastening a key back on in the event it's broken. Also, I would assume that there would be some way to remap another key as "return" - but I don't know how to do this in OS X.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

DeadEye686
Sep 12, 2004, 10:10 PM
A very large and heavy textbook dropped on my roommate's 15" PB, breaking off about 10 of his keys - he took it into the nearest Apple Store and they put new keys on for free. Of course, that's only good advice if you have an Apple Store nearby - do you?

Dave00
Sep 13, 2004, 10:59 AM
For FREE??? Wow, they just opened an apple store in my area, I'll have to take it down and see what they say.

I'd still be interested in re-mapping the keys if anyone knows how....

--Dave