Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Keink1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2004
Nashville
I just recently bought a ibook g3 and I love it. It's not the fastest thing in the world, but for what I want it for it works great. The only problem is this. When you are adjusting the LCD display, at about 90 degrees to the key board, the screen goes dim. I am pretty sure it's not going to sleep because I can see a faint image on the screen. It's not a big deal, because usually I don't view the screen at that angle, but every once and a while it can cause problems. Has anyone had this problem before, or heard of someone having this problem? Any help would be great.

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
Sounds like a loose connection somewhere... 90? from the keyboard is how the LCD is meant to sit, which is why it sounds like a problem.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Keink1 said:
I just recently bought a ibook g3 and I love it. It's not the fastest thing in the world, but for what I want it for it works great. The only problem is this. When you are adjusting the LCD display, at about 90 degrees to the key board, the screen goes dim. I am pretty sure it's not going to sleep because I can see a faint image on the screen. It's not a big deal, because usually I don't view the screen at that angle, but every once and a while it can cause problems. Has anyone had this problem before, or heard of someone having this problem? Any help would be great.
This is a very common problem on older G3 iBooks. Mine was under Applecare when the problem happened and they fixed it for me.

Do a search on iBook dimming screen and you'll see other stories and solutions.

sgarringer

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2004
Cedar Rapids, IA
ftaok said:
This is a very common problem on older G3 iBooks. Mine was under Applecare when the problem happened and they fixed it for me.

Do a search on iBook dimming screen and you'll see other stories and solutions.

yes, i also had similar problems as this, and then suddently my iBook wouldnt go to sleep properly. it was fixed when they repaired the logic board.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
sgarringer said:
yes, i also had similar problems as this, and then suddently my iBook wouldnt go to sleep properly. it was fixed when they repaired the logic board.
There's a difference between the logic board problem and the 90deg screen problem. The 90deg screen problem is due to the screen cabling getting weak from opening and closing the lid. It manifests itself by shutting off the backlight when the screen is opened past 90deg (give or take).

You may have had that problem as well, but it's not due to a faulty logic board. They may well have replaced the display wires when changing your logic board.

Addendum - a good place to look for information for the 90deg screen problem is on Apple's Support forums. Just go to the iBook section and then to the Display section.

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
it is indeed not related to the logic board problem, but when the logic board is replaced it fixes the problem. . . temporarily. my little bro uses my old iBook and it has this problem. i have him set the iBook on a flat desk and only use it then. it hasnt gotten worse, but i dont know a way to make it better other than sending it to apple to get it fixed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.