PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else camping out at a Best buy?

computermilk
Mar 31, 2010, 09:59 AM
Hey anyone else out there choosing to go to a best buy instead for those of who who didn't get to pre order or Pre reserve?

I suppose I should call my best buy store to see what their "Rules" are for breaking out a chair at midnight, but does anyone know if their are any at all?

Do they have security? do they kick people away from the store at night, or can you get in trouble for forming a line say at midnight?

i think if i showed up around midnight I would definitely be able to get one of the 15.

sfwalter
Mar 31, 2010, 10:01 AM
Nope. Just sipping my coffee and relaxing waiting for the UPS driver to show up.

computermilk
Mar 31, 2010, 10:02 AM
Also my SECOND worry is this.

i've stood in lines before, and let's be honest there's some SERIOUSLY non honorable selfish geeks and nerds out there, I've learned this from standing in Lines at PAX.

and i've always been the 1st or 2nd person in line, and by the time it's 8am or 9am or so, there's all of a sudden 100 people in front of me? wtf?

My second worry is, will they assist, with keeping the lines together, or saction/support a line.

with the iPhone 3G, ATT Stores started doing this, and i really loved it, They would come out early in the morning, and make sure the Line was in order, etc etc.

My concern is, if i show up at midnight and say im the 2nd or 1st person there, what if some Douchebag forms a line on the OTHER side of the doors, and says NO i was here first, this is the real Line.

How do you prevent this from happening?

Bodhi395
Mar 31, 2010, 10:03 AM
My concern is, if i show up at midnight and say im the 2nd or 1st person there, what if some Douchebag forms a line on the OTHER side of the doors, and says NO i was here first, this is the real Line.

Guns

Maximillian
Mar 31, 2010, 10:05 AM

Contact the store manager (maybe go to the store) on Friday and ask if there's an official line. If not, you can suggest that they put up a sign that marks the start of the line (to the right or left of the doors).

Plus, if there's already 2+ people on 1 side of the door, someone can't just show up and say they were there first. Masses usually win in a shout-out versus a single person.

diabolic
Mar 31, 2010, 10:07 AM
Plus, if there's already 2+ people on 1 side of the door, someone can't just show up and say they were there first. Masses usually win in a shout-out versus a single person.

And if you are in the front of the line, you can generally get those around you to agree what the order is and to not allow saving a place near the front for someone arriving later.

computermilk
Mar 31, 2010, 10:07 AM
Contact the store manager (maybe go to the store) on Friday and ask if there's an official line. If not, you can suggest that they put up a sign that marks the start of the line (to the right or left of the doors).

Thanks for your suggestions, I might give the store a call.

computermilk
Mar 31, 2010, 10:09 AM
And if you are in the front of the line, you can generally get those around you to agree what the order is and to not allow saving a place near the front for someone arriving later.

Yeah saving spots for friends, is simply just not fair when you're dealing with a strict # like 15 units.

peterdevries
Mar 31, 2010, 10:16 AM
Yeah saving spots for friends, is simply just not fair when you're dealing with a strict # like 15 units.

You could contact the store manager with the following suggestion. The only catch is that you should be one of the first in line:

When I qeued up for my iPhone 3G two years ago (The Netherlands was left out of the first generation... grrr), I was 8th in line. The first guy had a magic marker and wrote a number on the hand of each successive person that got in line. Of course this doesn't work for hundreds of people and people that just duplicate the numbers. But with a group of about 50 this worked fine.

There was a bit of a ruckus when the store opened and said that they only had 16 iPhones in stock :eek:, but the numbers made sure that the right people got their iPhones.

I would suggest going early and taking a magic marker and see what the situation is like. If hundreds show up, than it's every man/woman for his/herself.

Chupa Chupa
Mar 31, 2010, 10:21 AM
I cannot think of a single good reason to camp out at BB. I'd drive 150 miles to an Apple Store or just wait until the 12th for home delivery before I took that option.

peterdevries
Mar 31, 2010, 10:25 AM
I cannot think of a single good reason to camp out at BB. I'd drive 150 miles to an Apple Store or just wait until the 12th for home delivery before I took that option.

good point..I agree

StBDawg
Mar 31, 2010, 10:26 AM

i've stood in lines before, and let's be honest there's some SERIOUSLY non honorable selfish geeks and nerds out there, I've learned this from standing in Lines at PAX.

and i've always been the 1st or 2nd person in line, and by the time it's 8am or 9am or so, there's all of a sudden 100 people in front of me? wtf?

My second worry is, will they assist, with keeping the lines together, or saction/support a line.

with the iPhone 3G, ATT Stores started doing this, and i really loved it, They would come out early in the morning, and make sure the Line was in order, etc etc.

Not to pick on you or anything but how do you let 100 people get in front of you? Are you that scared to say anything to someone that cuts? I've stood in many, many lines for game systems, iPhones, etc...and I never once had a problem with someone getting in front of me.

To stay on topic, I'm not camping out at Best Buy but I am thinking about setting up a tent in my yard to wait for the UPS man, lol jk......but no seriously, maybe :-)

richpjr
Mar 31, 2010, 10:26 AM

Amen. Life is too short and my time is far too valuable for me to spend waiting in a line to get a toy.

computermilk
Mar 31, 2010, 10:29 AM

Well the only reason why is because camping out for people who didn't reserve is pretty much not an option at An Apple store.

i agree with what people are saying about Camping out, but IF im going to do it? im going to deal with a 100% chance # rather then a "Maybe" at an Apple store.

Apple stores will be dealing with what? People who reserrved, and also people who pre ordered, and IF there's anything left they will sell after 3pm?

I mean crap... what if i stand in line and get nothing.

At least at a Best buy there's a 100% chance if i show up, and i'm the first, that i will get one.

Sleazy E
Mar 31, 2010, 10:34 AM
Well the only reason why is because camping out for people who didn't reserve is pretty much not an option at An Apple store.

i agree with what people are saying about Camping out, but IF im going to do it? im going to deal with a 100% chance # rather then a "Maybe" at an Apple store.

Apple stores will be dealing with what? People who reserrved, and also people who pre ordered, and IF there's anything left they will sell after 3pm?

I mean crap... what if i stand in line and get nothing.

At least at a Best buy there's a 100% chance if i show up, and i'm the first, that i will get one.

Apple will be getting a ton more units then BB. Your best chance at getting one is to go to the Apple store and wait since it is first come first serve for non reserves. Seriously, unless you are using some sort of gift certificate or best buy card, there is no reason to camp there instead of the apple store.

If you decide to go to Best Buy anyway, I would say you should just show up like at 6 AM. I don't think the general public even knows best buy is carrying them... just us nerds that follow this sort of thing :p.

newyorksole
Mar 31, 2010, 10:36 AM
Amen. Life is too short and my time is far too valuable for me to spend waiting in a line to get a toy.

The opposite can also be said. You only live once so why not experience waiting in line for a gadget?

computermilk
Mar 31, 2010, 10:44 AM
Apple will be getting a ton more units then BB. Your best chance at getting one is to go to the Apple store and wait since it is first come first serve for non reserves. Seriously, unless you are using some sort of gift certificate or best buy card, there is no reason to camp there instead of the apple store.

If you decide to go to Best Buy anyway, I would say you should just show up like at 6 AM. I don't think the general public even knows best buy is carrying them... just us nerds that follow this sort of thing :p.

there's also the fact that my Apple store is inside a mall..

I wonder if they would be letting a line form inside a mall during the whole night? guess i would need to check on that.

peterdevries
Mar 31, 2010, 10:45 AM
The opposite can also be said. You only live once so why not experience waiting in line for a gadget?

Also a good point. I waited in line for a whole day for the iPhone. It was actually a quite fun experience where we meed fun of ultra-geeks in iPhone suits and normal people were making fun at us, because we geeks were making fun of other geeks... I wouldn't do it overnight, and sure as hell not with my girlfriend (she has the patience of a 1 year old Jack Russel Terrier), but for a few hours it would actually be fun. Although at an Apple Store and not at a best buy.

AJsAWiz
Mar 31, 2010, 10:49 AM

Grammar Police Alert
Okay, I don't usually do this but I have nothing better to do while waiting for my iPad so here it comes . . . .
I stood
I learned
Sorry . . . . I'll be back to normal after my iPad arrives ;)

AJsAWiz
Mar 31, 2010, 10:51 AM
Guns

ROFL

obey908
Mar 31, 2010, 10:53 AM
I am going at 7am. My reason for buying at bestbuy:
"accidental" warranty
30 days to return in case I decide I want a 3g

AJsAWiz
Mar 31, 2010, 10:54 AM
there's also the fact that my Apple store is inside a mall..

I wonder if they would be letting a line form inside a mall during the whole night? guess i would need to check on that.

Same here . . . that made waiting (inside of a mall) pleasant while I was waiting for my iPhone. The sales staff kept coming out with goodies while we waited.
http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy302/AJsAWiz/iPad/iPhoneCNN.jpg

AJsAWiz
Mar 31, 2010, 10:56 AM
"accidental" warranty

Sounds great! Hope you come back here and tell us about your experience :)

computermilk
Mar 31, 2010, 10:58 AM
Same here . . . that made waiting (inside of a mall) pleasant while I was waiting for my iPhone. The sales staff kept coming out with goodies while we waited.
http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy302/AJsAWiz/iPad/iPhoneCNN.jpg

I called the apple store employee here at Fair Oaks VA, and he was a complete TOOL about it. he even laughed at me over the phone

He was like hahaha, i don't know anything about Tents??? and the logistics of that.

Im thinking to myself, get real guy, i just asked you a simple question about the mall, Who would bring a tent inside the mall. Jock douchebag working at an Apple store Alert.

AJsAWiz
Mar 31, 2010, 10:59 AM
Also a good point. I waited in line for a whole day for the iPhone. It was actually a quite fun experience where we meed fun of ultra-geeks in iPhone suits and normal people were making fun at us, because we geeks were making fun of other geeks... I wouldn't do it overnight, and sure as hell not with my girlfriend (she has the patience of a 1 year old Jack Russel Terrier), but for a few hours it would actually be fun. Although at an Apple Store and not at a best buy.

I agree totally! I did that for my first iPhone! I arrived in the mall very early in the morning. I was one of the first seven (can't recall the exact number without looking at my photo) in line. Nah, can't see waiting in line overnight for anything though.

Okay, I just looked below. I was one of the first 5!

iKwick7
Mar 31, 2010, 11:05 AM
Not to pick on you or anything but how do you let 100 people get in front of you? Are you that scared to say anything to someone that cuts? I've stood in many, many lines for game systems, iPhones, etc...and I never once had a problem with someone getting in front of me.

To stay on topic, I'm not camping out at Best Buy but I am thinking about setting up a tent in my yard to wait for the UPS man, lol jk......but no seriously, maybe :-)

Agreed. I almost threw down with someone at a Yankees playoff game last year when some guy cut the entire garlic fries line (huge line) - after politely asking him if he was next in line and since I knew he wasn't, I was, what he was doing there, I brought out the loud voice :)

But yeah - I've camped out a few times with friends for launches and whatnots and haven't really come across any line problems myself. I've actually always had a good time when on line for a launch.

And yeah - I'd still sugest trying to get one from an Apple store instead.

Chupa Chupa
Mar 31, 2010, 11:17 AM

According to whom? Apple just sent out an email this AM to reservists advising them to get into the "reserve" line upon arrive. This implies there will be a "walk-in" line for everyone else. I don't think there will be a shortage of iPads this weekend. Certainly not on Sat.

"accidental" warranty

It's 15 days for electronics plus restock fee if opened -- similar to Apple. As for Accidental warranty you can buy a SquareTrade warranty for it regardless of where you buy.

GeekLawyer
Mar 31, 2010, 11:21 AM
According to whom? Apple just sent out an email this AM to reservists advising them to get into the "reserve" line upon arrive. This implies there will be a "walk-in" line for everyone else. I don't think there will be a shortage of iPads this weekend. Certainly not on Sat.There's a lot of FUD going on. My local Apple Store manager told me there would be two lines. One for reserved; one for walk-ins. Each store knows exactly how many reserved iPads they will stock. So they can sell both, along side each other, throughout the day. After 3, or the last reserved iPad is sold, there will then be one line for however long the stock lasts. If you're going without a reservation to an Apple Store, get there early.

xStatiCa
Mar 31, 2010, 11:38 AM
I went to a bestbuy or compusa(don't remember which) for a non-apple product release many years ago and they were #1 in how they handled it. As people showed up they gave them a ticket that guaranteed them a sale as long as they claimed it by noon time later that day. I basically showed up 2 hours early, got my ticket, left and got some breakfast, went back to the store 30 minutes after it opened, and then purchased the product without a line at all.

I wish all stores handled things like this.

obey908
Mar 31, 2010, 11:41 AM
It's 15 days for electronics plus restock fee if opened -- similar to Apple. As for Accidental warranty you can buy a SquareTrade warranty for it regardless of where you buy.

Restocking Fee
A 15% restocking fee will be charged on opened notebook computers, projectors, camcorders, digital cameras, radar detectors, GPS navigation and in-car video systems. A 25% restocking fee will be charged on special order products, including appliances. These fees apply unless the item is defective or damaged, you received the wrong item, or the fee is prohibited by law.

Unless the iPad is considered a notebook computer, then you have 30 days with no restocking fees. The iPad should be considered the same as an iPod Touch, giving you the 30days and no restocking.

Return and Exchange Period
You can return or exchange purchases within the timeframes below.

14 days for computers, monitors, projectors, camcorders, digital cameras, and radar detectors
30 days for all other products
45 days for all products for Reward Zone Premier Silver members

bossxii
Mar 31, 2010, 11:57 AM

But not to talk about... standing in line for a toy. Funny how that works. :rolleyes:

As to waiting at BB, my guess is I'll drive by on my way to the Apple store to see if their is a line. The two stores are only about 2 miles apart here in town. If BB is empty I may go there if the Apple store is crazy busy. I have one reserved at the Apple store but if no one is at BB may go there to get in and out quicker.

darksideofjae
Mar 31, 2010, 02:36 PM
I was thinking the same thing. I'm considering scoping out my local best buy around midnight. If there's a line then i'll head on over to the best buy that's closer to the apple store and see if there's a line. If so if it's more then 15 people then i'll go home get some sleep and wait for another time to get it. If there's no line then i'll probably get back there say about 6am. That gives me 4 hours of watching movies on the MBP before the store opens.

Westin
Mar 31, 2010, 02:50 PM
Im going 7pm on friday lol....

mac jones
Mar 31, 2010, 02:58 PM
I remember the first time I saw a line at a Best Buy late at night. I couldn't figure out what was going on. It was like 3 Am and pretty cold, and there was all these people there.

Chupa Chupa
Mar 31, 2010, 03:10 PM
Unless the iPad is considered a notebook computer, then you have 30 days with no restocking fees. The iPad should be considered the same as an iPod Touch, giving you the 30days and no restocking.

You might want to get that in writing by the manager if you are depending on that because the iPad is not an iPod touch. It's not even and iPod iPad. It's a whole new line.

wolfpackfan
Mar 31, 2010, 03:12 PM
Well even though I have a pre-order at Apple Store, I had dickered with the idea of trying to get one at BB because of the zero interest. But I've changed my mind and plan to just go on to Apple Store. I just don't want to miss the excitement.

obey908
Mar 31, 2010, 03:27 PM
You might want to get that in writing by the manager if you are depending on that because the iPad is not an iPod touch. It's not even and iPod iPad. It's a whole new line.

It is basically a giant iPod touch and I would be very surprised if the iPad is classified as a laptop to Bestbuy. Obviously I am going to ask before buying it, but will be pretty shocked if they say it is a laptop

glxyjones
Mar 31, 2010, 03:29 PM
I reserved an iPad for a store in a mall. Has anyone had any experience with mall-based Apple stores? I don't think the mall opens till 9am but I can't imagine they would have people standing outside and then everyone rush in at 9am, that would be dangerous.

What time do people plan on getting there for reservations? I'm not really afraid of not getting one but I do enjoy the experience of waiting in line and chatting with fellow Apple-lovers.

GermanSuplex
Mar 31, 2010, 03:38 PM
I reserved an iPad for a store in a mall. Has anyone had any experience with mall-based Apple stores? I don't think the mall opens till 9am but I can't imagine they would have people standing outside and then everyone rush in at 9am, that would be dangerous.

What time do people plan on getting there for reservations? I'm not really afraid of not getting one but I do enjoy the experience of waiting in line and chatting with fellow Apple-lovers.

Not sure how your mall works, but I know a lot of malls across the country open as early as 6 or 7 in the morning so that older people can exercise by walking (well, it's mainly older people, but I guess anyone can go inside).

francisq
Mar 31, 2010, 04:29 PM
you got to be in the first 15. if not then there's no use.

turtlebud
Mar 31, 2010, 04:40 PM
Just stopped by my local best buy this morning and asked what their plan was for the iPad release. Here are the details they gave me:

1. there will be tickets that they hand out - if you get a ticket, then you'll get an iPad. they will probably start handing out tickets at 9/9:30 - they open at 10. of course there will be a line before that.
2. if you get a ticket, you'll need to come in and get it before noon
3. they don't know how many ipads they will be getting, but they hope it's a good number
4. they are most likely treating the iPad like a notebook computer, so there will be a 14 day return period and a 15% restocking fee

disclaimer: this is just what one rep told me, it's not documented anywhere so any of this information should be treated as such

obey908
Mar 31, 2010, 04:54 PM
I just got back from BestBuy and the guy also told me 14days 15% restocking.

Now I have to really decide if I want the 3g or not.

He also said all the ipad's were pre-ordered. :rolleyes:

GermanSuplex
Mar 31, 2010, 05:02 PM
Why would they mislead customers like that? Ridiculous.

harry*333
Mar 31, 2010, 05:06 PM
this is going to make you happy, some guy who works at best buy posted here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=884556&page=2 post #46) saying they will actually have 40 of each model not 5

obey908
Mar 31, 2010, 05:09 PM
this is going to make you happy, some guy who works at best buy posted here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=884556&page=2 post #46) saying they will actually have 40 of each model not 5

I have heard a range from 5-40, each bestbuy will be different, probably depends on population and income levels of the area.

If I don't get one saturday, I will just wait for 3g. I wasn't really planning to make a decision/buy until late May anyway.

Sleazy E
Mar 31, 2010, 05:10 PM
I have heard a range from 5-40, each bestbuy will be different, probably depends on population and income levels of the area.

that would be the best bet

Apple Expert
Mar 31, 2010, 05:16 PM
I'll try bestbuy for my girlfriend's 32gb wifi. If I have no luck then I will just pre-order the 3G since the ship date of the wifi on apple.com is the 12th. It being shipped the 12th and about another 4-6 days for delievery I can hold out for the 3G. What's another 10-14 days considering the new rumor of the 3G being launched on April 24th.

terrymr
Mar 31, 2010, 05:17 PM
My best buy store would only confirm that they would have demo units on saturday.

Sleazy E
Mar 31, 2010, 05:39 PM
My best buy store would only confirm that they would have demo units on saturday.

sounds like they won't have them then. they would have told you if they were.

obey908
Mar 31, 2010, 05:41 PM
sounds like they won't have them then. they would have told you if they were.

not necessarily, 90% of best buy employees have no idea what they are talking about

GermanSuplex
Mar 31, 2010, 06:29 PM
Yeah, I really wouldn't trust the employees at all. Maybe the general manager, but that's about it.

RedReplicant
Mar 31, 2010, 06:37 PM

Mine told me that they could neither confirm nor deny, but that they would have demo units Saturday. I would assume they will have them for sale there.

dakotaiphone
Apr 1, 2010, 01:40 AM
I will be getting in line fairly early in the morning at the Huntington, WV BestBuy. For no other reason than the closest Apple Store in any direction is about 250 Miles. If anyone else I'd going to that one send me a message or post in the iPad Launch Meetup thread I created earlier.

darksideofjae
Apr 1, 2010, 01:25 PM
I checked the SKU's for the Best Buy I work at and the one i'm going to and they both have 40 On Order.So it'll probably be 15 for saturday and 25 for the 11th.

GermanSuplex
Apr 1, 2010, 01:27 PM
40 of each model or 40 total?

darksideofjae
Apr 2, 2010, 03:10 PM
40 of each model or 40 total?

40 of each