PDA

View Full Version : Ram Problem

brsboarder
Sep 12, 2004, 09:42 PM
I know I have 640mb of ram on my ibook g4, the 128, and a 512, but the info in about this mac is only showing 384, what could be wrong? I know it's said the correct thing before, but I just checked for the first time in around 2 months, and now its not at the 640, also, will this computer support a 1gb chip?

hcuar
Sep 12, 2004, 09:55 PM
I know I have 640mb of ram on my ibook g4, the 128, and a 512, but the info in about this mac is only showing 384, what could be wrong? I know it's said the correct thing before, but I just checked for the first time in around 2 months, and now its not at the 640, also, will this computer support a 1gb chip?

Ok... I've actually seen this before on SDRAM. I bet there are two banks of IC chips on your 512MB SO-DIMM... One bank died... Therefore you are down 256MB. Sounds like the DIMM is shot. If you bought from Apple they will replace it. Crucial, Kingston, Corsair, etc usually have lifetime warrenties on their memory. They will replace it. It's just a hassle.

If you have a newer iBook it will go up to 1.25GB. If it's an older iBook, it will only support 640MB. Newer as in current 1.0/1.2 Ghz iBooks. Good luck!

brsboarder
Sep 12, 2004, 09:58 PM
its older, i was thinking that the only reason it "supports" 640 is cause thats what was available when it came out, now that there are 1gb chips are you sure it wont hold more?

crazzyeddie
Sep 12, 2004, 10:08 PM
Are you sure it meets the spec that the iBook needs? Call the RAM manufacturer and ask for a replacement if it does.

hcuar
Sep 12, 2004, 10:15 PM
its older, i was thinking that the only reason it "supports" 640 is cause thats what was available when it came out, now that there are 1gb chips are you sure it wont hold more?

I really don't think so. 1GB chips were around when the older iBooks were out (probably rare and expensive; even more than now). I remember seeing that the new line of iBooks were a vast improvement because you could add a 1GB chip to bring the total to 1.25 GB. Sorry... I don't think it will work. :( 640MB is very good for an iBook anyway. What are you doing that 1GB or more will benefit. I wouldn't think it'd make much of a difference on an iBook.

brsboarder
Sep 15, 2004, 10:03 PM
Alright, I got apple to send me new ram, but it still tells me I have 384 so what could be wrong???? Is there a way to check if its using the 640??? or, anything like that??? or is it a different hardware problem, I've never heard of anything like this, any help would be great, Im probably sending it into apple w/in a couple days, i have a warranty, but if its a simple software thing, where its actually using 640, just displaying 384, then it would be great if it could be resolved like that, thanks

Coolvirus007
Sep 15, 2004, 11:13 PM
Run a hardware test. You can use the panther os disk or tech tools.

hcuar
Sep 15, 2004, 11:17 PM
Alright, I got apple to send me new ram, but it still tells me I have 384 so what could be wrong???? Is there a way to check if its using the 640??? or, anything like that??? or is it a different hardware problem, I've never heard of anything like this, any help would be great, Im probably sending it into apple w/in a couple days, i have a warranty, but if its a simple software thing, where its actually using 640, just displaying 384, then it would be great if it could be resolved like that, thanks

Sorry... Sounds like you have a bigger problem than we thought. Maybe you have a problem with your logic board. :( I'd see what Apple says. Do you have an Apple store near you? I'd take it there.