PDA

View Full Version : NC Women Awarded $9 Million over Husband’s “Other Lover”

joro
Mar 31, 2010, 11:23 AM
A woman in North Carolina won a lawsuit last week filed against her husband's alleged lover, and the jury awarded her $9 million.

Cynthia Shackelford, 60, used an obscure "alienation of affection" action found in only a handful of states to sue Anne Lunquiest, 49, for ruining her marriage, according to the Greensboro News & Record.

Link: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2010/03/23/2010-03-23_north_carolina_womans_lawsuit_against_husbands_alleged_lover_earns_her_9m_from_j.html

ucfgrad93
Mar 31, 2010, 11:27 AM
This is just idiotic. Sorry that your husband cheated with another woman, however, that doesn't entitle you to $9 million.

joro
Mar 31, 2010, 11:32 AM
This is just idiotic. Sorry that your husband cheated with another woman, however, that doesn't entitle you to $9 million.

There are two things about this case which I find mildly amusing that the article doesn’t point out or doesn't expand on.

(1) From the way it was reported locally, she got the $9M because the defendant failed to appear for the trial despite being served a summons.

(2) I think it’s interesting that the law is still on the books. It’s a very antiquated law that’s based on the idea that people are “property” and interfering with “property” can get you sued.

Surely I would think such a ridiculous amount would be overturned but you never know with appeals especially given she didn’t show up for the original court date.

mkrishnan
Mar 31, 2010, 11:35 AM
*shrug* More power to her. The "other" person always seems to come out of these things without a scratch.... (Of course, hearing this lawsuit is a flagrant waste of taxpayer money).

Slarti Bartfast
Mar 31, 2010, 12:09 PM