PDA

View Full Version : Need Help upgrading RAM in my G3 Bronze

Ini
Sep 13, 2004, 08:31 AM
Hi, I have a Lombard G3 333 Mhz. Im not planning to do any major upgrades but just a bit more RAM, as so far its still running on the 64MB it came with. Just a few questions i have

1.Can my G3 run PC133 or PC100 or PC66(as the manual states)
2.If i can run a PC133 or PC100, would that mean only a PC133 or PC100 must be running on both top slot and bottom slot? so i cant mix?
3.Does it matter about Low profile and high profile? can i run a low on the bottom slot and a high on the top? viseversa. or do they both have to be both high or low?
4.What is the difference between high and low profile?
5.Im still using the 4 gig HDD the PB came with, would OS X Panther fit? would it be laggy on the PB after the upgrade? All im planning is using it for simple web surfing, emailing, and word documents.

6.Also im thinking of sharing my Cable Internet with my PB.
Cable modem
|
|
Router---PC(XP)(Wired)
|
|
Powerbook G3 Bronze Lombard(wireless)

Can the powerbook use 802.11g? Would a Linksys WRT54G and a WPC54G for the Powerbook be compatible?

Thanks

PS Sorry for the long post. Im a total n00b

willmg
Sep 13, 2004, 09:42 AM
I have a Lombard as well, you can use PC100/133 memory in it but only up to 256mb in size(512 chips aren't recognized). They will run at the max rating of your FSB, in this case 66, and no they dont need to be matched. I am running stock apple 64 in the bottom and a PC100 128 in the top slot. If you plan to use OSX at all, I would suggest maxing the ram, ie 256 in the top and bottom slot, if you arent comfotable getting to the bottom slot(not for newbs) at least get a 256 for the top slot. For OS9, my current 192 runs fine, though more is always better.

about HD, mine died 2 weeks ago, yours is prolly on its last legs and a 20GB 4200-5400 rpm drive can be had for $40-60 so its worth the upgrade.

802.11G will only work with OSX and only some cards are supported, I just bought a Belkin 802.11G card and it was recognized and works flawlessly. For OS9 most 802.11b cards work an old favorite of many is the lucent Silver/Gold series.

Hope this helps

Ini
Oct 5, 2004, 09:46 AM

Ini
Oct 5, 2004, 09:48 AM
this sucks. I bought a 256 Low profile PC100 that says its for my PB as the site says its compatible, and all it recognises it as 128mb !!!! grrrr, i tried top and lower slot and no hope, making it a total of 192 not 320!!! grrr. man this sucks, waited for 1 week, cause of a mixup at the parcel ppl. now this!!!

I thought i purchased the correct RAM. Is there something wrong? I also tried a 256 PC100 Hynix RAM 144-pin (from a PC laptop) and it also recognises it as 128, so still 192 total.Then i tried my friends firewire G3 400mhz ram that was 256 and it recognises it as 128 stil!!! grrrr. can someone tell me wtf is wrong with my bronzekb? does it not like 256? or something?

this is getting rediculous

someone help!

sorry for outrage. im just getting really annoyed

jeremy.king
Oct 5, 2004, 11:02 AM
I was a former owner of a Lombard, so here are my attempts at a response.

1,2. I am a retard. This gives a thourough description of your memory requirements. http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=28507
3. Edit: It does matter, top slot should be used for 256 MB chip.
4. The height of the chip
5. I would u/g the hard drive, which is quite easy. Not sure why you would need to run Panther for email/web/word

6. That router can handle B and G clients. I would recommend getting a Lucent/Orinoco Silver card and use a driver from http://wirelessdriver.sourceforge.net/