PDA

View Full Version : Dropped iBook

UKMacBod
Sep 13, 2004, 09:28 AM
Hi,

Very carelessly I dropped my beloved iBook a while ago, and landed on a concrete surface. Increadibly luckily for me, it didn't seem to have anything wrong with it and and worked OK.

However, it appears that the one thing it DID affect was the built-in ethernet. Whenever I plug in an ethernet cable (have tried from 2 separate locations...) I cannot get a connection.

I was wondering if it's easier for me to try and have the ethernet port repaired (possible???) or to get a USB-to-Ethernet adaptor??

Does anyone have such an adaptor? Or has anyone been able to repair their built-in Ethernet on an iBook / PowerBook?

Cheers.

jxyama
Sep 13, 2004, 09:40 AM
i think the ethernet port is integrated on the logicboard and it would be difficult to "fix" just the port. if it's indeed broken, you could be told that the entire board needs to replaced, which could cost a lot of money.

i'd go with some kind of usb/ethernet adapter and wireless...

mikeyredk
Sep 13, 2004, 09:56 AM
g3? if it is you can do the logic board replacement program with little hassle. also if you have apple care turn it in to them

thehuncamunca
Sep 13, 2004, 10:16 AM
you need to replace the entire motherboard to repair the ethernet, not very cost effictive
i'd suggest you get a wireless card and a wireless router

Hi,

Very carelessly I dropped my beloved iBook a while ago, and landed on a concrete surface. Increadibly luckily for me, it didn't seem to have anything wrong with it and and worked OK.

However, it appears that the one thing it DID affect was the built-in ethernet. Whenever I plug in an ethernet cable (have tried from 2 separate locations...) I cannot get a connection.

I was wondering if it's easier for me to try and have the ethernet port repaired (possible???) or to get a USB-to-Ethernet adaptor??

Does anyone have such an adaptor? Or has anyone been able to repair their built-in Ethernet on an iBook / PowerBook?

Cheers.

cluthz
Sep 13, 2004, 03:03 PM
A friend of me has damaged his ethernet port on his ibook,
apple said it would cost like $800 to fix it.
Airport Extreme could be the solution, i think i read about some USB2Ethernet adaptors on xlr8yourmac.com a few years ago, not sure though..