PDA

View Full Version : iPad Camera Connection Kit and FlipCam / Kodak Zi8

cbflip2000
Apr 1, 2010, 12:57 AM
I notice on the description of the camera connection kit that it gives

gives you two ways to import photos and videos from a digital camera: using your camera’s USB cable or directly from an SD card. iPad and the Camera Connection Kit support standard photo formats, including JPEG and RAW.

Well does that mean I can plug one of these pocket cam corders into the USB camera connector and import my video files into the iPad?

shrimpdesign
Apr 1, 2010, 01:13 AM
The iPad's tech specs page says it supports H.264, Motion-JPEG and MPEG-4. I'm not sure what the Zi8 and Flip use.

Nitromaster
Apr 1, 2010, 04:54 AM
The Zi8 is .mov format, in H.264.

I love mine :)

Maximillian
Apr 1, 2010, 06:31 AM
The Flip cameras are all H.264, so I assume they'll work.

jjprusk
Apr 1, 2010, 12:35 PM
Does anyone know if a camera, with real-time video, be connected to the connector? For instance, if I had an iSight camera could this be connected to the camera port and the feed utilized with an app?

regandarcy
Apr 10, 2010, 05:47 PM
There are two ways to load photos and video to the ipad touch with the Apple Camera Kit. One is with an SD card reader that attaches to the device. And one where you can hook the camera up to the ipad.

My question is with the Kodak Zi8 can you just take the SD card from the Kodak and put it in the camera kit device and upload video clips no problem? And if so, can you upload full 1080p clips? Or can you only upload/transfer smaller non HD clips?

And with the flip, since there is no SD card, can you really hook it up with the ipad camera kit and transfer clips? I just want to be sure.

Has anyone actually done this with either camera and the ipad?

Thanks.

Nitromaster
Apr 11, 2010, 03:13 PM
There are two ways to load photos and video to the ipad touch with the Apple Camera Kit. One is with an SD card reader that attaches to the device. And one where you can hook the camera up to the ipad.

My question is with the Kodak Zi8 can you just take the SD card from the Kodak and put it in the camera kit device and upload video clips no problem? And if so, can you upload full 1080p clips? Or can you only upload/transfer smaller non HD clips?

And with the flip, since there is no SD card, can you really hook it up with the ipad camera kit and transfer clips? I just want to be sure.

Has anyone actually done this with either camera and the ipad?

Thanks.

Interesting thoughts...the camera connection kit isn't shipping yet, so unfortunately there probaly isn't a concrete answer yet.

If (And i presume it will) it supports importing videos...then the specs page for the ipad lists (http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/)
H.264 video up to 720p, 30 frames per second, under TV and Video.
This means the 720p/30 frames per second videos taken on the Kodak Zi8 should work...however 720p/60 frames per second..and 1080p videos taken with the device will not work.

In apple stores...when the kit comes out will they let you try it? (for contability/etc) If so...when the ipad comes out in the uk i'll try to get to a store and test it :)

cbflip2000
Apr 23, 2010, 10:49 AM
I just tried to import video using the camera connection kit with the Kodak Zi8 camera. You do see a thumbnail of the video but when you import the file it is not playable and you get a generic .mov icon.

This sucks. Anyone else try to import videos using any other HD pocket camcorders?

I recored my videos 720p / 30fps :mad:

ZOMGVTEK
Apr 23, 2010, 07:22 PM
My local Apple store still dosent have any camera connect kits, or else id try it myself.

Do ANY formats work on the Zi8 -> iPad? And even if it does not play, can you upload it to youtube or something using the stock photo app, or something like pixelpipe?

If you can upload 720P or 1080P videos from a Zi8 to youtube, and they show up as 720P or 1080P, that would be awesome.

rpramanik
May 5, 2010, 03:14 PM
I just tried to import video using the camera connection kit with the Kodak Zi8 camera. You do see a thumbnail of the video but when you import the file it is not playable and you get a generic .mov icon.

This sucks. Anyone else try to import videos using any other HD pocket camcorders?

I recored my videos 720p / 30fps :mad:

:confused: any luck using something else? I am having the same problem.

mac-slap-happy
May 5, 2010, 04:56 PM
Same. Haven't went through all of the format types on the camera yet, but will do more testing. I fully expected this to work or I might have chosen a different camera.

RyanRy1981
May 7, 2010, 03:37 AM
Also very keen to know if this works in any way. I recent bought the Zi8 and still trying to build up a solid arguement for buying the iPad (can you tell I'm married!?!?). If Zi8 and iPad can work together, that would seal the deal for me! Has anyone attempted importing video recorded at the lowest settings on the Zi8 to the iPad?

rpramanik
May 7, 2010, 11:15 PM
Also very keen to know if this works in any way. I recent bought the Zi8 and still trying to build up a solid arguement for buying the iPad (can you tell I'm married!?!?). If Zi8 and iPad can work together, that would seal the deal for me! Has anyone attempted importing video recorded at the lowest settings on the Zi8 to the iPad?

I figured out how using squared5.com free app (Mac or PC) and then iTunes. Worked well, but not as easy as camera card. It does work for photos though. Well worth the purchase! (iPad!)

rtfulk
May 14, 2010, 08:39 PM
You can import video from the Zi8, but you have to take the video in the WVGA mode which I think is 640x480. That sorta defeats the purpose of have a HD pocket camcorder in my opinion.

Randy

RyanRy1981
May 18, 2010, 07:00 AM
Hey rtfulk,
So are you saying that the video can be directly imported from the Zi8's SD card via the Camera Connection Kit to the iPad?
I agree that the low resolution is a sad disappointment, but some functionality is better than none. For now.

half9000
Aug 2, 2010, 05:02 PM
I've the same trouble, the only way to import directly from SD to IPAD is to record ad WVGA quality (848x480). This is not a bad resolution, but, I mean, IPAD is sold with HD videos, the ZI8 records in mac format (MOV) and in H.264, why should it not work??
I've recorded all the vacations in HD, of course, so now I've to compress them all in low resolution, the software I use is Pavtube, it's good and fast but the result is not like the orginal, you can see a lot of quality loss in the resulting videos. Apple is going to disappoint me every day more and more...

gus2000
Aug 6, 2010, 12:51 AM
I've the same trouble, the only way to import directly from SD to IPAD is to record ad WVGA quality (848x480). This is not a bad resolution, but, I mean, IPAD is sold with HD videos, the ZI8 records in mac format (MOV) and in H.264, why should it not work??

The iPad video specs:
"H.264 video up to 720p, 30 frames per second, Main Profile level 3.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats." - http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

The iPad supports up to 720p which is 1280x720. Note, however that it specifies "Main Profile level 3.1", so a 720p video might still fail to play if, say, the bitrate is too high.

There is a tradeoff between compression level and power consumption. Apple chose to limit the video compression for playback on it's portable devices so as to maximize battery life. The iPod/iPhone are the same way.

I used FCP/Compressor to transcode a 1080i HD video to the "AppleTV" spec of 960x540 for my iPad, and it looked great. I played the video in a loop all day (8+ hours) and only got down to 50% on my battery...wow.

half9000
Aug 6, 2010, 08:44 AM
So, things must be called with their proper name.
IPAD is NOT for HD Videos, IPAD is for HD-Ready Videos.
Maybe fun boys don't know the difference, they still believe the computer is the monitor...
Apple's promotional slogans cannot be justified by their own technical problems or wishes, since they charge a lot of polished HD money.

Trinchero
Sep 5, 2010, 10:50 PM
It is really dissapointing that the iPad does not read video files in HD from the Kodad Zi8 using the Camera Connector Kit. Had I known this I honestly would not have bought the Zi8, as I mainly need it to upload and process videos on the road for my blog. The workaround I am currently using is recording the videos on my Canon SD850is which are then uploaded to the iPad via the Connector Kit without any hassles at all. The beautiful thing is that, once on the iPad, I am able to send -or "share"- the video file directly to YouTube. This is amazing as it seamless, fast and very simple. Obviously, the big problem is that the video is not HD.

I am now wondering which video camera, or digital still camera with HD recording capabilities is the best to use with the iPad and the Camera Connector Kit. Any suggestions?

IAmTheCrack
Nov 28, 2010, 09:07 AM
The flip imports no problem.

ariusvideo
Mar 13, 2011, 07:06 PM
I had some HD videos from my Zi8 that had been stored on my iPad, which I was never able to play before. Updated my iPad (first Gen) to iOS 4.3, and still couldn't play videos, but was able "play" videos and hear audio (1080p). Pulled the vids into ReelDirector App and was able to import and play without a hitch. So went back and started importing videos through camera kit, no go as before :-( Get the white "MOV" image but can't do anything with them. Can't import these files into ReelDirector either. Tried all different HD formats (1080p, 720p 60, 720p) all with no success. Any ideas of what may have happened in the iOS 4.3 update that would have caused the saved clips to all of the sudden work?

tiggerifficjo
Sep 21, 2011, 01:06 PM
Hi ive been having the same problem and have been round every camera store in my area and tried every one they hads yet no soloution for the video bit yet however i keep hearing about the flip. I have a flip ultra hd think its a 2nd generation This doesnt work.

please can you tell me what flip (or any other camera) works

thanks

Jo