Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

104442-commute.jpg

Apple yesterday released a new iPhone commercial entitled 'Commute' and has posted it to the company's iPhone ad gallery. Like other recent ads, 'Commute' features three App Store applications in the context of a situational narrative, showing how one might use the iPhone during his or her daily commute .

- MassTransit ($3.99)
- Here, File File! ($9.99)
- WSJ - The Wall Street Journal (Free)

The commercial also quietly shows off the iPhone's ability to use voice and data simultaneously, as the narrator switches from a phone call to Here, File File! in order to look up information requested by a colleague. The feature was the focus of Apple's 'On Hold' commercial released in February and has also been mentioned in some of AT&T's recent advertising, as Verizon's 3G network can not handle voice and data simultaneously.

Article Link: Apple Releases New iPhone Ad: 'Commute'

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
These new ads are about a million times better than the early ones (where the airline pilot checks the weather, for example).

I mean, we knew those were kind of lame, but these are just so great they make it even more obvious. I love this series of ads. Showing off 3 apps in 30 seconds...great concept. They could just keep making these forever.

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
These new ads are about a million times better than the early ones (where the airline pilot checks the weather, for example).

I mean, we knew those were kind of lame, but these are just so great they make it even more obvious. I love this series of ads. Showing off 3 apps in 30 seconds...great concept. They could just keep making these forever.

which one are you referring to...airline pilot? I cant recall that.

and i agree...

I saw a palm pre ad last night. ugh. they talked about storage space. seriously..they are clueless.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
The commercial also quietly shows off the iPhone's ability to use voice and data simultaneously...
Perhaps a little too quietly. Most consumers won't pick up on that detail. But it's not a big deal since they'll get the message "I could do lots of stuff with it", and that's good enough for most consumers who aren't tech geeks.

mackworth

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2008
I use Mass Transit app all the time, its great.

If only the MBTA worked as well as that app... :)

Friscohoya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Oaktown
Here, File File is cool, but apple needs to get a wish list function in their app store. $9.99 is not an impulse buy in this economy. Or I could just be cheap...

mackworth

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2008
I'm impressed AT&T has network coverage in the subway...

It doesn't really. Atleast not on purpose. Some stations get it depending on how deep you are. Although as someone pointed out, alot of boston is built on landfill and most of the time the subway isn't very deep. I am pretty sure every line in Boston has a few stops above ground also except maybe the blueline which I have never ridden past the aquarium to find out.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
which one are you referring to...airline pilot? I cant recall that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXB7l4QYi-w

Read all the Youtube comments from people in the airline business to get an idea of what's wrong with the ad.

(To be fair, I'm really not sure if Apple or AT&T made these ads. Both of their logos are at the end.)

I'm impressed AT&T has network coverage in the subway...

The Washington DC subway was wired for Verizon signals years ago but an exclusive contract kept the other providers out.

They've just started adding AT&T to some of the larger stations recently and they will eventually add AT&T signal to the tunnels.

So you can't use your iPhone everywhere on the Metro yet, but the point is it is possible to have cell phone signal on an underground subway.

JediZenMaster

Suspended
Mar 28, 2010
Seattle
The exact same thing happened to me! I bought my iPhone 3g last month and i asked the guy a at&t if they were gonna release a new iPhone any time soon and he said no! So im gonna go to at&t tomorrow and ask if theres a discount for iPhone 3g owners.

The sales reps aren't really allowed to "Confirm" a new iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.