Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

powpow

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 19, 2004
Am I missing something, or does this app lack full offline caching?

Byline caches COMPLETE web pages, and I only see the blurbs on Reeder.

The reason I bought Reeder is that the state-saving doesn't work for me on Byline (exit the app, lose recent downloads), and Reeder has a state-saving function.

Without full caching, I may as well use the Google mobile page.

Thoughts?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Do you have caching turned on in the settings? There are two, related settings. Under the image caching setting you need to select what type of items you want cached, then there is a setting to cache on wifi only. You may have wifi only caching turned on and are using 3G?

powpow

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 19, 2004
Do you have caching turned on in the settings? There are two, related settings. Under the image caching setting you need to select what type of items you want cached, then there is a setting to cache on wifi only. You may have wifi only caching turned on and are using 3G?

Thanks, but isn't that only for caching the tiny images within the Reader blurbs. What I'm looking for is caching of the full web page, viewable offline. Byline has this, and so far I don't see that Reeder does.

That said, Reeder is very fast at updating the simple feeds. Many sites only include a paragraph or so, and I really like having the full page available if I need it. It takes way longer to sync, but it is a must-have feature for me.

Fedorov

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
Thanks, but isn't that only for caching the tiny images within the Reader blurbs. What I'm looking for is caching of the full web page, viewable offline. Byline has this, and so far I don't see that Reeder does.

That said, Reeder is very fast at updating the simple feeds. Many sites only include a paragraph or so, and I really like having the full page available if I need it. It takes way longer to sync, but it is a must-have feature for me.

I think the reason Reeder 2.0 is just so fast as smooth is because it doesn't try to do too much - maybe the author has future plans for a full offline feature but right now I don't believe this is possible.

May I make a suggestion... have you tried InstaPaper FREE - I love the speed and simplicity of Reeder, from the blurb I just hit the Instapaper icon and before going offline anywhere I let InstaPaper grab the FULL web pages for offline viewing just as you do with Byline.

I honestly believe you are better off having these smaller, leaner, faster apps doing specific tasks, Reeder plus InstaPaper is the best combination you can possible have if you want my personal opinion, I've tried many readers and offline solutions.

I bought the even better InstaPaper Pro, worth it for the extra features and to support continued development if you use it everyday like I do.
Also have ReadItLater app as well - possibly as good as Instapaper and Reeder can send to this as well.

I think you'll find a perfect offline solution utilising Reeder and Instapaper to the best of their individual abilities rather than have one more bloated app trying to do too many things to please everyone if you know what I mean.

Hope this helps.

superflush

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2009

Are you saying that Byline does this automatically for each page, or is it something you have to set?

powpow

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 19, 2004
Are you saying that Byline does this automatically for each page, or is it something you have to set?

Under settings, you set how many items you want cached for full offline viewing. The short feeds load super-fast, but caching the full pages take some time depending on how many you cache. I cache 100 items usually, and that takes about 10 minutes or so depending on my internet connection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.