PDA

View Full Version : Trouble connecting MBA to public wifi with authentication page

knmlee
Apr 1, 2010, 01:52 PM
Hello,

I've been having trouble connecting my Macbook Air to public wifi in several airports (Denver, San Diego most recently). I select the SSID and get the signal just fine. When I launch Safari or Firefox, I see a redirect to an authentication page - but it never comes up - it just hangs.

Using my iPhone and Safari, I can connect just fine. When the iPhone browser gets to the redirect screen, it comes up with a dialog box asking to accept a security certificate.

On the Macbook, I never get asked about a certificate. I can't find any settings that change this behavior. I am not blocking pop up windows blocked and I am accepting cookies.

Any ideas on how to resolve this? I see lot's of other Macbooks in the airport browsing away so I know I must be doing something wrong.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Scottsdale
Apr 1, 2010, 02:37 PM
Hello,

I've been having trouble connecting my Macbook Air to public wifi in several airports (Denver, San Diego most recently). I select the SSID and get the signal just fine. When I launch Safari or Firefox, I see a redirect to an authentication page - but it never comes up - it just hangs.

Using my iPhone and Safari, I can connect just fine. When the iPhone browser gets to the redirect screen, it comes up with a dialog box asking to accept a security certificate.

On the Macbook, I never get asked about a certificate. I can't find any settings that change this behavior. I am not blocking pop up windows blocked and I am accepting cookies.

Any ideas on how to resolve this? I see lot's of other Macbooks in the airport browsing away so I know I must be doing something wrong.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

No ideas other than to reboot and try again. I had this exact same problem when I was traveling two months ago. I believed the browser was the problem because the WiFi signal would be fine but I couldn't get past the acceptance page within either FireFox or Safari. It almost seemed like the page was hanging? I hadn't ever had that problem before. I rebooted and it properly displayed the acceptance page and it worked. Wasn't in Denver, but it was at an airport. I have noticed several airports use the same system for WiFi. I have no clue why one would have to reboot or how that would change anything at all, but it worked.