PDA

View Full Version : To anyone using OSX 10.2, HOW IS GAMING PERFORMACE?

sevag1
Aug 5, 2002, 08:38 PM
is it up to par with os 9? better than 10.1????

bousozoku
Aug 6, 2002, 10:02 PM
The Carbon-ized games I've played work so much better. That would probably include UT preview but the menus weren't working under 10.2 so I don't know.

8thDegreeSavage
Aug 8, 2002, 12:23 PM
Im scoring much nicer framerates in WC3....also my connection performance seems more stable.(6C115)

chibianh
Aug 8, 2002, 12:41 PM
How do you get WC3 to display your frame rates and ping? People suggested I do a /fps while playing, but that doesn't work. How do you do it?

Sepulchre
Aug 8, 2002, 12:45 PM
Probably unrelated but....does anyone else find their pings in OS X are much higher than when playing the same game in 9? And if so does 10.2 fix this?

8thDegreeSavage
Aug 8, 2002, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by chibianh
How do you get WC3 to display your frame rates and ping? People suggested I do a /fps while playing, but that doesn't work. How do you do it?

I play it alot, and i noticed alot less jumpiness to my game play, everything was a tiny bit smoother(zooming in for example)

And yeah i get better pings due to my connection having better performance.

Before in 10.1.5 i had to click on Explorer then force quit it and start it again to get my connection to my DSL modem to respond, but now with 10.2 i just start any application that need the net and boom it starts up perfectly....not game related but a good example.

Draft
Aug 9, 2002, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by bousozoku
The Carbon-ized games I've played work so much better. That would probably include UT preview but the menus weren't working under 10.2 so I don't know.

What seed of 10.2 were you using? One of the only games that I play is UT X. It would be aweful if I couldn't play it anymore. :(

zed
Aug 9, 2002, 01:22 PM
i would also like to know how to display the framerate in WC3.... /fps worked for Diablo II....

bousozoku
Aug 9, 2002, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Draft

What seed of 10.2 were you using? One of the only games that I play is UT X. It would be aweful if I couldn't play it anymore. :(

It was the original developer preview. I don't have a high-speed connection, so I'm not downloading a newer seed this close to GM. I'm sure they'll have it all worked out shortly. Maybe preview 4 will be available after Jaguar has been distributed.

Paolo
Aug 16, 2002, 05:43 AM
Jaguar is being distributed... with all the new macs.
SO find someone who's bought one of the new macs!

admiraldennis
Aug 20, 2002, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by bousozoku
It was the original developer preview.

-LMAO-

The original dev preview was crap. The GM is 500% better than the dp1. You'll be quite surprised by the final product. And UT X works better than ever in the GM.

bousozoku
Aug 20, 2002, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by admiraldennis

-LMAO-

The original dev preview was crap. The GM is 500% better than the dp1. You'll be quite surprised by the final product. And UT X works better than ever in the GM.

That's great to here. I actually had no problems with the preview except for UT X preview. Everything is/was so much faster and smoother.

I doubt I'll be using the GM right away, though, as there still seem to be some incompatibilites with various 3rd party pieces.

Draft
Aug 20, 2002, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by admiraldennis

-LMAO-

What kind of hardware do you have? Also, what kind of framerates are you getting with that hardware?

Thanks,
Draft

Spike Spiegel
Aug 20, 2002, 01:01 PM
I would be able to tell you all about performance under 10.2 for wolfenstein, WC3, and MOH:AA, BUT, my dual gig hasnt been shipped yet. The site said 3-5 days for shipping, it has now been a week and the rep i called today said it HASNT EVEN GOTTEN TO THE MANUFACTURING FLOOR. she mentioned stuff about my not getting it until LABOR DAY or after!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

bousozoku
Aug 20, 2002, 01:05 PM
Bad for you, good for Apple. Hopefully, they'll surprise you early. :)

I just hope it's going really well with new PowerMac sales.

Maybe my copy of 10.2 will arrive before your machine. :)

BobVB
Aug 22, 2002, 03:13 AM
Originally posted by weezerophile
I...my dual gig hasnt been shipped yet. The site said 3-5 days for shipping, it has now been a week and the rep i called today said it HASNT EVEN GOTTEN TO THE MANUFACTURING FLOOR. she mentioned stuff about my not getting it until LABOR DAY or after!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Yeah, I was getting the same run around on an order placed at 7am on the 13th for a stock 1 gig model. I told em where to shove their '1-3 days' and ordered from MacMall - not only did they 'give' me 512 megs of RAM for $39 and not charge me sales tax but, most importantly, the system is on its way as we speak. ;)

Macmaniac
Aug 22, 2002, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by chibianh

Someone please tell us I want to know how to get ping and frame rate too!!!!

Shrek
Aug 22, 2002, 02:10 PM
How well do games run on an iMac running 10.2?

Draft
Aug 26, 2002, 02:20 PM
Update: In 10.2, UT X gives extremely choppy gameplay with my installation. Is anyone else having this same problem?

Draft

Digitalflick
Aug 26, 2002, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Macmaniac

Someone please tell us I want to know how to get ping and frame rate too!!!!
For FPS try

/cg_drawfps 1

sevag1
Aug 27, 2002, 12:43 AM
digital, thats for q3.