PDA

View Full Version : Which comic book app should I get?

Pages : [1] 2

melman101
Apr 1, 2010, 05:15 PM
Man, Comic Zeal is up there, but it's $7.99.

Any other suggestions for a cbz/cbr reader?

I'm not discounting it due to price, just wondering if there is anything better?

Aranince
Apr 1, 2010, 05:23 PM
I don't read comics, but I'm definitely going to check our the Marvel app

rick98761
Apr 1, 2010, 05:31 PM
It's the only .cbr reader on there. Looks like a great app, I loved it on the iphone. I have it downloaded and ready.

Man, Comic Zeal is up there, but it's $7.99.

Any other suggestions for a cbz/cbr reader?

I'm not discounting it due to price, just wondering if there is anything better?

Avenger
Apr 1, 2010, 05:40 PM
It's the only .cbr reader on there. Looks like a great app, I loved it on the iphone. I have it downloaded and ready.

Comic Reader Mobi is there also for the iPad. It's a universal app so if you have it already as I do, you get a free upgrade. I made the mistake of also buying Comic Zeal at the same time to compare them on the iphone. Since there is a new iPad only version of it, I have to spend $7.99 if I want the iPad version as well. I guess it all evens out since Comic Reader Mobi was more expensive to begin with. Right now I am leaning towards Comic Reader Mobi as being the better iPhone app so I'll give it first try on the iPad.

PlayHard
Apr 1, 2010, 05:42 PM
Also, if you wait a bit ComicBookLover is going to be releasing an app (although I thought for sure it would be available launch day).

Avenger
Apr 1, 2010, 05:46 PM
Also, if you wait a bit ComicBookLover is going to be releasing an app (although I thought for sure it would be available launch day).

I use ComicBookLover on the Mac. But I think from what I am reading the iPad app is in its early stages of development so it won't be as robust as the others.

MythicFrost
Apr 1, 2010, 05:53 PM
Panefly looks impressive to me, I might start reading comics.

GadgetX
Apr 1, 2010, 06:03 PM
I'm glad to hear that Comic Reader Mobi will be compatible with the iPad. I was originally skeptical about spending so much money on an iPhone app but am glad I did now!

Avenger
Apr 1, 2010, 06:10 PM
I'm glad to hear that Comic Reader Mobi will be compatible with the iPad. I was originally skeptical about spending so much money on an iPhone app but am glad I did now!

Yeah the version has been updated and is now iPad compatiable although by reading developer's forum, you need to use the ftp route to get the files on the iPad. The developer said he will make it work by syncing the files once he gets his hands on an iPad and can test. Everyone has basically been developing blindly with the simulator until Saturday comes.

Juventuz
Apr 1, 2010, 06:14 PM
I use ComicBookLover on the Mac. But I think from what I am reading the iPad app is in its early stages of development so it won't be as robust as the others.

There's already a ComicBookLover iPhone app, which works very well. It reads cbz/cbr files and syncing with the desktop app was super easy. Best of all it's free.

According to his site... ComicBookLover for iPad is under development along-side ComicBookLover for iPhone and iPod Touch.

I'm thinking it might launch soon.

Avenger
Apr 1, 2010, 06:21 PM
There's already a ComicBookLover iPhone app, which works very well. It reads cbz/cbr files and syncing with the desktop app was super easy. Best of all it's free.

According to his site...

I'm thinking it might launch soon.

Cool. I'll give it a shot then when it comes out on the iPad. I bought the Mac app because I liked it so much.

Bitgod
Apr 5, 2010, 05:58 PM
Any new input now that the pad is out? I just picked up one today, so I'll have to get an app at some point. Mobi sounds good, but expensive. Though in the grand scheme of things, I don't mind paying for a really good app.

pooryou
Apr 5, 2010, 06:09 PM
I'm probably going to get Comic Book Reader Mobi due to it supporting ZIP and RAR files. Haven't pulled the trigger yet though...

jodorowsky00
Apr 5, 2010, 06:16 PM
I'm probably going to get Comic Book Reader Mobi due to it supporting ZIP and RAR files. Haven't pulled the trigger yet though...

Right now comic reader mobi is the best it reads cbr, cbz, rare, zip and PDF, comic zeal does not play any, it plays cbi and it's a drag to convert all your comics to low res and see them on your iPad pixelated.
Comicbooklover is the most buggy version of any comic book I've seen on the iPhone and it's not out for iPad.

jodorowsky00
Apr 5, 2010, 06:22 PM
Yeah the version has been updated and is now iPad compatiable although by reading developer's forum, you need to use the ftp route to get the files on the iPad. The developer said he will make it work by syncing the files once he gets his hands on an iPad and can test. Everyone has basically been developing blindly with the simulator until Saturday comes.

No you can also sync it by iTunes, click on the iPad in iTunes, go to app tab in your iPad scroll Dow you will see you comic reader icon and a add button, drag your comics there

jodorowsky00
Apr 5, 2010, 06:24 PM
Any new input now that the pad is out? I just picked up one today, so I'll have to get an app at some point. Mobi sounds good, but expensive. Though in the grand scheme of things, I don't mind paying for a really good app.

True, when you think about how much time your going to spend reading comic or mangas the price doesn't seem a issue any more.

pooryou
Apr 5, 2010, 10:27 PM
Right now comic reader mobi is the best it reads cbr, cbz, rare, zip and PDF

Yeah I just wish there was a demo (lite) version for iPad I could try first, it's the only thing holding me back.

Bytor65
Apr 5, 2010, 10:46 PM
You don't really need special features read comics on iPad. CBZ/CBR are just a bunch of compressed JPGs/PNGs. You just need to decompress and display. Since the screens is so big you don't really need to zoom each panel.

Someone should be able to whip up a simple iPad CBZ/CBR comic reader in an afternoon.

It should be a free app or a $.99 app at most for a simple comic reader.

paulisme
Apr 5, 2010, 10:46 PM
While we're on the subject, is there a reader for DC comics? I like Marvel and all, but Batman is my favorite.

Critical Hippo
Apr 5, 2010, 10:58 PM
Comic Zeal does a pretty good job if you don't mind the conversion. The WiFi sync is fairly quick. However, the author has not yet made good on his/her promise to update the converter to support the iPad's higher resolution. The .cbi files are acceptable right now, but zooming in can show just how unnecessarily low-res the files are. I'm loathe to spend $15 for comics reader mobi, but I may just take the plunge if another day goes by without an update to Comics Zeal.

jodorowsky00
Apr 5, 2010, 11:12 PM
Comic Zeal does a pretty good job if you don't mind the conversion. The WiFi sync is fairly quick. However, the author has not yet made good on his/her promise to update the converter to support the iPad's higher resolution. The .cbi files are acceptable right now, but zooming in can show just how unnecessarily low-res the files are. I'm loathe to spend $15 for comics reader mobi, but I may just take the plunge if another day goes by without an update to Comics Zeal.

I have a formula for ever dollar I pen I should spend a hour with it and with comic reader mobi I'm sure to spend 100+.

I talked with the developer of Comicpad and he will have a Comicpad version with sync in iTunes, he is hard at work.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=889677http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=889677

Dammit Cubs
Apr 6, 2010, 03:28 AM
What is a good app to read png files. I love naruto manga but all the files are in png format. Will these comic book reader do the trick?

jodorowsky00
Apr 6, 2010, 06:02 AM
What is a good app to read png files. I love naruto manga but all the files are in png format. Will these comic book reader do the trick?

There pgn because you didn't compress them . Zip them and then rename the zip to .cbz and put them in comic reader mobi. It also reads pgn, but it's better having them in a stack.

pooryou
Apr 6, 2010, 06:37 AM
That turquoise UI in the Comic Book Mobi app looks pretty damn awful, for that price they really should do something about that.
Still will probably get it at some point, hopefully it will go on sale down to $10 or something.

SactoGuy18
Apr 6, 2010, 07:02 AM
iVerse Media should have out very soon its iVerse Comics reader for the iPad--and that means probably within a month subscribers to the Archie Digital service will be able to read the Archie Comics library.

In short, within six months the ability to buy the latest comics from Marvel, DC, etc. in digital form to read on your Mac, iPhone/iPod touch and iPad will become reality. This could be bad news for many comic book stores.

MacRy
Apr 6, 2010, 07:34 AM
I'm sorry this is a little off topic but I wonder if anyone could recommend some good comics and places to get them digitally online. I have always been a lover of the newer style artwork but never delved into the comic book world. I recently downloaded the Marvel app and read the New Avengers series available on it and absolutely loved it. The artwork is incredible. Can anyone recommend something similar? I like the kind of style that was on the first series of Heroes if that helps.

Edit: David Finch and Tim Sale are two that I like apparently as they were responsible for the Heroes and New Avengers (not together obviously).

Critical Hippo
Apr 6, 2010, 03:37 PM
Comic Zeal just updated to allow transfer of uncompressed CBR and CBZ files through iTunes. This should take care of my concerns with the wifi sync and with the compression (as there shouldn't be any now). I'm too busy to actually download and evaluate the update right now, but I will do so later tonight. Perhaps someone who owns both Comic Zeal and Comic Reader Mobi could compare the two; if I'm satisfied with the Zeal update, I probably won't drop the money on Mobi.

gwynne
Apr 6, 2010, 04:12 PM
ComicZeal update - thumbs-up. In case you're new to using the Shared Files thing in iTunes (as I was), go to Sync, Apps, then scroll down. It should be obvious from there. (If this doesn't show up, you may need to sync or update the app on iTunes first.) No problems with a test file. I'm not sure this completely removes the use for the separate Sync tool, though, since that also has a built-in rename tool. *shrug*

They also fixed a problem I was running into frequently, where if you did a page turn gesture too fast/too broadly it interpreted it as something else and popped you back out to the load screen.

JonboyDC
Apr 6, 2010, 04:21 PM
Everyone is talking about different file formats. But where do you get comics in digital form?

(I haven't been in a comic shop in many years, and have just been reading collections lately. But I'm excited about the idea of being able to read new comics every week.)

spammerhamster
Apr 6, 2010, 04:28 PM
Everyone is talking about different file formats. But where do you get comics in digital form?

(I haven't been in a comic shop in many years, and have just been reading collections lately. But I'm excited about the idea of being able to read new comics every week.)

well... if you know the keywords to search for. Like maybe the publisher's name and one of those file formats mentioned here... Google might help you further...

gwynne
Apr 6, 2010, 04:31 PM
Um. I'm honestly not sure the comics I have are even legitimately available in digital form. (Vertigo?) My knowledge of this particular industry's foray into digital is nil, apart from the Marvel subscription app. I think the CBR/CBZ formats were just what ended up being used to 'share' comics.

And yeah, you would need to seek them 'in the wild'; or if you mean straight up legit, just search the app store for Comic. You'll see Marvel and the other publishers offering subs.

JonboyDC
Apr 6, 2010, 04:48 PM
Yeah, I should have clarified that I was looking for a source of digital comics that was blessed by the copyright owners for those works.

I just have to hope that DC gets off its ass and gets an app out there, since about 95% of what I read is DC/Vertigo (as opposed to Marvel).

pooryou
Apr 6, 2010, 06:12 PM

Well, you can scan your comics, for one thing.

Critical Hippo
Apr 6, 2010, 06:19 PM
Comic pirates are at the point where they have tiny lists of the handful of existing comic issues that they HAVEN'T scanned; meanwhile, the major publishers offer a paltry selection of digital comics if they offer any at all. They're doing a bit better than the music industry in that they're not going to be caught completely off-guard by the effect that tablet computing will have on comic/manga piracy, but they're still essentially sitting on their asses while their revenue model goes flying out the window.

Comic Zeal and Comics Reader Mobi will mostly be used by people who get their comics from Bittorrent trackers and Direct Connect hubs. If you want official comics, keep an eye on the Marvel app, the IDW app, and the Iverse app. And don't hold your breath.

Viper2005
Apr 6, 2010, 08:30 PM
Comic Zeal just updated to allow transfer of uncompressed CBR and CBZ files through iTunes. This should take care of my concerns with the wifi sync and with the compression (as there shouldn't be any now). I'm too busy to actually download and evaluate the update right now, but I will do so later tonight. Perhaps someone who owns both Comic Zeal and Comic Reader Mobi could compare the two; if I'm satisfied with the Zeal update, I probably won't drop the money on Mobi.

I think it still downconverts the files, as it still does 'importing' after you sync the files over itunes... takes a long time too

spammerhamster
Apr 7, 2010, 03:06 AM
I think it still downconverts the files, as it still does 'importing' after you sync the files over itunes... takes a long time too

according to the appmaker it maintains the original resolution.

Could it be that it's generating covers for the overview or something? You got a screenshot of the library?

I bought the app, but don't have an ipad yet :P

ravenvii
Apr 7, 2010, 03:21 AM
I have to admit the Marvel app is amazing, but I have no interest in Marvel comics in general.

I'm really hoping Dark Horse and Image Comics will come out with similar apps.

elmariachi5150
Apr 7, 2010, 07:42 AM
I use mycomics and it's the best comic app I tested so far. and it's really easy to get the comics on to the devices.

AIRniloc
Apr 7, 2010, 10:09 AM
comiczeal's new update=win

best comic app out there hands down (for those with massive .cbr / .cbz files)

Smackfu
Apr 7, 2010, 12:43 PM
You don't really need special features read comics on iPad. CBZ/CBR are just a bunch of compressed JPGs/PNGs. You just need to decompress and display. Since the screens is so big you don't really need to zoom each panel.
Yeah, you can just load them into iPhoto and make an album, and I bet it would be a pretty nice reading experience in the Photos app.

spammerhamster
Apr 7, 2010, 01:41 PM
comiczeal's new update=win

best comic app out there hands down (for those with massive .cbr / .cbz files)

Care to show some screenshots?

moviecouple
Apr 7, 2010, 02:15 PM
I was having the same issue on Comiczeal with the latest update. It's great that it does iTunes direct loading, but it takes forever to upload it into the iPad app. 35 standard sized comics took about 20 minutes. Spoke with developer and he is aware and working on it. As for the resolution... I can't see a difference between using SyncDoc versus iTunes sync. Resolution looks identical to me. I really really like Comiczeal and have supported it since day one, but Mobi right now has iTunes sync and it is way way faster and the resolution is much better too... HD quality. Doesn't blur out when extremely zoom'd in.

crimson090
Apr 7, 2010, 03:40 PM
I was having the same issue on Comiczeal with the latest update. It's great that it does iTunes direct loading, but it takes forever to upload it into the iPad app. 35 standard sized comics took about 20 minutes. Spoke with developer and he is aware and working on it. As for the resolution... I can't see a difference between using SyncDoc versus iTunes sync. Resolution looks identical to me. I really really like Comiczeal and have supported it since day one, but Mobi right now has iTunes sync and it is way way faster and the resolution is much better too... HD quality. Doesn't blur out when extremely zoom'd in.

So even with the update Mobi still has better quality than Comiczeal? Good to know.

I've never been into comics but like others I had my interest piqued by the Marvel app, and I want to make sure I get the best comic reader. Zooming and quality is important as my eyesight isn't great.

Roy Hobbs
Apr 7, 2010, 04:19 PM

I used the iTunes file sharing to move 70 cbz over to my iPad and it took less that 10 minutes. Comiczeal is great

wilycoder
Apr 7, 2010, 04:22 PM
I really wish I could get the Metal Gear Solid comic.

IDW's app doesn't have it :(

moviecouple
Apr 7, 2010, 06:02 PM
Don't get me wrong... I love Comiczeal. I just think it needs a bit more polish to be as good as it was on the iPhone. I am still using it as my main app for comics, but since I cannot see a difference in quality of image between Syncdocs and iTunes Sync... I will stick with Syncdocs. It is faster and the file sizes are much smaller.

As for Mobi... it has its pro's and con's. I do like how you can use a magnifying glass... and it snaps directly to each lettering bubble. Very cool feature. It's sorting is terrible. Just a big long list of books.

jodorowsky00
Apr 7, 2010, 06:34 PM
Comic Reader Mobi will soon upgrade as well

changes are:"
fixing ftp sleeping bug, "unsorted files" bug, add hires start up image, allow volume buttons to change pages.Add "Stretch to Fit". Allow Disabling of lens.

Im happy to see Comic Zeal update so soon, Comic Zeal is more gui polished, and Comic reader mobi has more features and comics for some reason just look better.

Hope someone makes a reader that combines both, but for now i rather pay more and get comic reader mobi.

gwynne
Apr 7, 2010, 06:34 PM
I use mycomics and it's the best comic app I tested so far. and it's really easy to get the comics on to the devices.

I can only seem to find an iPhone version of this, and it seems like you need a separate sync application (I.e. Not iTunes) Is there something specific that makes this worth the money?

akuma13x
Apr 8, 2010, 02:08 AM
Im really disappointed in the latest Comic Zeal release. The "importing" of the cbr/cbz files is really sloooow. They need to work on the app more. I've supported them from the start but i might move to Comic Book Lover or even iTunes.

spammerhamster
Apr 8, 2010, 02:35 AM
Im really disappointed in the latest Comic Zeal release. The "importing" of the cbr/cbz files is really sloooow. They need to work on the app more. I've supported them from the start but i might move to Comic Book Lover or even iTunes.

problem is, they don't have an ipad yet. So all updates are thrown out without testing

Simgar988
Apr 8, 2010, 02:41 AM
This one...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-Sea-Doo-Speedster-200-Twin-Engine-Jet-Boat-310-hp_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem439e6b2058QQitemZ290420629592QQptZPowerQ5fMotorboats

I've been using this one for years, the colors are great (although mines a little different) and it flies so friends love it. This one is a bit to expensive, but you can find a good deal out there. Good hunting!

jodorowsky00
Apr 8, 2010, 03:07 AM
http://gizmodo.com/5511926/best-ipad-comic-reader-comic-zeal-vs-comic-reader-mobi

and behold i was write.
but i bet there will still be users who disagree.

pooryou
Apr 8, 2010, 04:03 AM
This one...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-Sea-Doo-Speedster-200-Twin-Engine-Jet-Boat-310-hp_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem439e6b2058QQitemZ290420629592QQptZPowerQ5fMotorboats

I've been using this one for years, the colors are great (although mines a little different) and it flies so friends love it. This one is a bit to expensive, but you can find a good deal out there. Good hunting!

Yeah but does it read .cbr and .cbz files?

pooryou
Apr 8, 2010, 05:38 AM
I've decided to hold off on buying either of these apps for now, but I have found a pretty cool interim solution until a truly excellent comic reader comes along.

Grab this Java-based comic viewer called Jomic:
http://jomic.sourceforge.net/

This application can batch-convert .cbz and .cbr files to .pdf. Just go to Convert under the File menu, and add all your comic files. Make sure PDF is selected under Comic Format, and choose a Target Folder. Jomic will grind through them pretty quickly and seems to do a good job. Then you can use whatever PDF viewer you would like on the iPad (I use Goodreader).

Enjoy.

gwynne
Apr 8, 2010, 06:04 AM
http://gizmodo.com/5511926/best-ipad-comic-reader-comic-zeal-vs-comic-reader-mobi

and behold i was write.

Er...it's okay for other people to have different opinions from yours. I'm not sure why a tech blog article means everyone has to fall in line behind one app. This is not a right/wrong situation.

spammerhamster
Apr 8, 2010, 08:34 AM
For what it's worth: the devver of comic zeal got his ipad and found that there was a memory leak which he had fixed

poo! there's a memory leak in the App store version of CZ that didn't show up in the simulator! darnit! sorry everyone

That's better! 100 comics, around a gig, in just over 10 minutes. That's around 6 seconds each.

http://twitter.com/bitolithic

crimson090
Apr 8, 2010, 10:15 AM
I've decided to hold off on buying either of these apps for now, but I have found a pretty cool interim solution until a truly excellent comic reader comes along.

This application can batch-convert .cbz and .cbr files to .pdf. Just go to Convert under the File menu, and add all your comic files. Make sure PDF is selected under Comic Format, and choose a Target Folder. Jomic will grind through them pretty quickly and seems to do a good job. Then you can use whatever PDF viewer you would like on the iPad (I use Goodreader).

Enjoy.

Thanks! This is working great until I have a better feel for which app I want to use.

THFourteen
Apr 8, 2010, 10:19 AM

and behold i was write.

this is what i use on my iphone and i do like it, however i'm a bit concerned by the article saying that the ipad is not quite big enough to read without zooming...

that really sucks.

either way, i think its a universal app so i'll be getting this as soon as i have my ipad

gwynne
Apr 8, 2010, 10:46 AM
[QUOTE=pooryou;9602122]I've decided to hold off on buying either of these apps for now, but I have found a pretty cool interim solution until a truly excellent comic reader comes along.

How much real estate do you lose in Goodreader? i.e., can you view mostly full screen? Would you mind posting a screenie?

pooryou
Apr 8, 2010, 03:30 PM
How much real estate do you lose in Goodreader? i.e., can you view mostly full screen? Would you mind posting a screenie?

You lose no screen real estate, Goodreader is pretty awesome. The UI just drops away and there are invisible 'tap zones' for various functions, or to bring the UI back up. Goodreader also retains the zoom level when going from page to page, and there is a 'horizontal lock' button which still allows you to pinch and zoom if you need to. Totally worth the $1.

Can't post a screenshot at this moment, but it would just look like a page totally filling the screen anyway ;)

You can also organize PDFs in hierarchical folder structures, which is very convenient.

pooryou
Apr 8, 2010, 03:36 PM
Oh btw one thing that won't work in Goodreader is two page spreads, it can only show one page at a time.

exposition
Apr 8, 2010, 03:53 PM
Calibre (the ebook management/creation software) converts CBR and CBZ files to ePub. You can then import the files via iTunes and they show up in iBooks. It's not perfect, but it works well enough while I wait for the dedicated readers to sort themselves out.

Roy Hobbs
Apr 8, 2010, 04:19 PM
this is what i use on my iphone and i do like it, however i'm a bit concerned by the article saying that the ipad is not quite big enough to read without zooming...

that really sucks.

either way, i think its a universal app so i'll be getting this as soon as i have my ipad

The screen is plenty big enough to read with out zooming. I read the entire Batman Knightfall series yesterday without a single zoom

pooryou
Apr 8, 2010, 04:40 PM
Calibre (the ebook management/creation software) converts CBR and CBZ files to ePub. You can then import the files via iTunes and they show up in iBooks. It's not perfect, but it works well enough while I wait for the dedicated readers to sort themselves out.

I just tried this and it didn't work too well for me. Of the two files I tried to convert, one failed with an error. The other one made it into iBooks but was converted to greyscale and a low resolution, with the default settings (maybe there are better settings to use?) I'm going to stick with PDFs for now.

jodorowsky00
Apr 8, 2010, 04:58 PM

calibre sucks! There i said it.

jodorowsky00
Apr 8, 2010, 08:12 PM
Comic pad developer just sent a update to apple with added iTunes sync, great for people that love free. We will be able to download it as soon as it's approved.

gwynne
Apr 9, 2010, 10:17 PM
Wow, comic zeal made it to the app store page one under staff picks. That's got to mean a nice sales bump for the author, maybe we'll see more updates.

gwynne
Apr 10, 2010, 02:45 PM
New comic zeal update, supposed to be much faster import times now.

Scarpad
Apr 10, 2010, 02:53 PM
New comic zeal update, supposed to be much faster import times now.

I Bought the new version import times are improved, and the page turn is very good not too, This is my reader of choice now

jodorowsky00
Apr 10, 2010, 03:13 PM
I Bought the new version import times are improved, and the page turn is very good not too, This is my reader of choice now

Reader of choice because you dont have the other readers. Comic reader mobi is better and ComicPad will do what comic zeal does for free.

gwynne
Apr 10, 2010, 03:16 PM
Reader of choice because you dont have the other readers. Comic reader mobi is better and ComicPad will do what comic zeal does for free.

It's time for you to move past this now. We know you don't like comic zeal.

jodorowsky00
Apr 10, 2010, 03:30 PM

i have it in my ipad, true i dont use it. dont want people to make the same mistakes.

paulisme
Apr 10, 2010, 03:50 PM
The screen is plenty big enough to read with out zooming. I read the entire Batman Knightfall series yesterday without a single zoom

Where do you get Batman comics?

Pared
Apr 10, 2010, 03:57 PM

He's right though. Comic Reader Mobi is much nicer.

master-ceo
Apr 10, 2010, 04:06 PM
Ain't nothing touching comic zeal
http://i44.tinypic.com/27xgvvr.jpg

gwynne
Apr 10, 2010, 04:24 PM
He's right though. Comic Reader Mobi is much nicer.

Mmkay. It's also $15. What I have an issue with is the idea that everyone must use the same app or else they're doing something wrong. There's room for more than one.

I like comic zeal and the price point was more in line with what I was willing to pay. Notice that I can say this without slagging other apps. Wouldn't it be irritating if in every comment I made about comic zeal, I also complained about mobi's price point?

ImperialX
Apr 10, 2010, 06:05 PM
The Marvel app is free if it's the cost that's bothering you...

jodorowsky00
Apr 10, 2010, 06:29 PM
Mmkay. It's also $15. What I have an issue with is the idea that everyone must use the same app or else they're doing something wrong. There's room for more than one.

I like comic zeal and the price point was more in line with what I was willing to pay. Notice that I can say this without slagging other apps. Wouldn't it be irritating if in every comment I made about comic zeal, I also complained about mobi's price point?

Dude with out a question comic reader mobi is way to expensive, I know that and I wish it was 7 bucks but that being said , people should go around saying comic zeal is better then comic reader mobi. specially people that haven't used both.

Seems people need to reassure there purchase by telling other they made a good buy.

If you have 7 bucks only get get comic zeal or wait for comicpad update that will be free and be able to sync with iTunes but if you have 13 bucks get comic reader mobi, it has features that fans of comic book really like. That's all

Zimmy68
Apr 11, 2010, 09:28 AM
What about comics in PDF format?
I have about 5, commercially released Marvel collections that are on DVD, in PDF format.
One issue would be, if you view in a non Adobe reader, it has an ugly watermark on it.
What would be the best app for this type of content? GoodReader?
It will let me upload the files?

Here is an example of what I am talking about...

http://www.amazon.com/Incredible-Hulk-Complete-Comic-Collection/dp/B000MVJZGM/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1270996085&sr=8-5

Inksworth
Apr 11, 2010, 11:20 AM
Here's a question:

Do any of the comic apps offer trade paperback equivalents? I've only seen single issue sales. I prefer to buy entire story arcs at a time, also easier to organize.

pooryou
Apr 16, 2010, 07:32 AM
Comic Reader Mobi has dropped in price from $15 to $10.

Tempting, but I am having so much success using Jomic to convert comics to PDF, and viewing them in Goodreader that I'm not sure I need anything else..

Pared
Apr 16, 2010, 08:54 AM

Dude with out a question comic reader mobi is way to expensive, I know that and I wish it was 7 bucks but that being said , people should go around saying comic zeal is better then comic reader mobi. specially people that haven't used both.

Seems people need to reassure there purchase by telling other they made a good buy.

If you have 7 bucks only get get comic zeal or wait for comicpad update that will be free and be able to sync with iTunes but if you have 13 bucks get comic reader mobi, it has features that fans of comic book really like. That's all

There's ya go. Comic zeal IS nice... but CRM is better. It's more expensive, yes, but the cost for some will be justified.

I would jump on it now. Immediately. $10 is a great price and I would have preferred to pay that much. That's a very fair offering.

Critical Hippo
Apr 16, 2010, 10:22 AM
I'm going to hold off on trying Mobi until they update more than just the price.

pooryou
Apr 16, 2010, 05:33 PM
There's ya go. Comic zeal IS nice... but CRM is better. It's more expensive, yes, but the cost for some will be justified.

I would jump on it now. Immediately. $10 is a great price and I would have preferred to pay that much. That's a very fair offering.

It's going to need a serious UI overhaul to pull me away from Goodreader.

Zimmy68
Apr 17, 2010, 07:55 AM
You can all thank me.
I waited and waited to see if it would drop in price, knowing as soon as I bought it, it would.
I impulsively bought it on Thursday night for $15 and viola!!!

Still, worth every single penny. My cbrs look amazing on the device and the additional iphone app is quite usable.

MikeCase
Apr 17, 2010, 11:07 AM
You can all thank me.
I waited and waited to see if it would drop in price, knowing as soon as I bought it, it would.
I impulsively bought it on Thursday night for $15 and viola!!!

Still, worth every single penny. My cbrs look amazing on the device and the additional iphone app is quite usable.

I took part in this as well. I waited for a while and ended up buying it Thursday night also.

http://twitter.com/mikecase/status/12266510814

Pared
Apr 17, 2010, 12:02 PM
It's going to need a serious UI overhaul to pull me away from Goodreader.

Goodreader as a comic book reader? Yikes.

I have both and I can't understand why someone would do that. More power to you.

-iKris-
Apr 17, 2010, 12:19 PM
Is there anywhere to see both comic readers "in action" like a video? It seems nuts you won't know which one you prefer until you buy both. More apps need trials!

Inked
Apr 17, 2010, 12:33 PM
Just tried to download CRM and getting a popup saying that it's no longer available:confused:

MacRy
Apr 17, 2010, 01:28 PM
Does anyone know the answer to this question:

I have bought and downloaded a number of comics through the Marvel app on my iPhone and wonder if when I put it on my iPad (when it finally arrives on my doorstep) will it will sync my purchases or allow me to download them again for free through my account? Has anyone had any experience of this?

pooryou
Apr 17, 2010, 06:08 PM
Goodreader as a comic book reader? Yikes.

I have both and I can't understand why someone would do that. More power to you.

That's strange, since Goodreader works extremely well as a comic reader and you gave not one reason why it shouldn't.

yashdeep
Apr 18, 2010, 05:44 PM
Have been using ComicZeal4 for a while, and it's great.

Got confused a bit earlier due to no documentation available on the iTunes sync part and used their App for uploading compressed images and was disappointed.

But had a look around and saw the iTunes sync option available when the iPad was connected. That was a quick and easy way to get all my cbzs and cbrs uploaded in all their hi-res glory.

Am quite happy with the way the app behaves. Of course a few nice touches for drag and drop arranging of comics etc. would certainly be appreciated.

mrgreen4242
Apr 18, 2010, 07:25 PM
I'm using ComicZeal and it's great. I used Comic Reader mobi on my iPod touch for the great autozoom feature, but on the iPad that's totally unneeded. I can't think of any features that I would be willing to pay $8 or even $3 more for.

jodorowsky00
Apr 18, 2010, 08:30 PM
As of today i found a better reader its ClouldReaders
Havent tested it fully yet but this is what i liked about it
Pages change super fast forward and backwards. Mobi would forward page fast but it would take 6 seconds to go back a page.
Another thing i liked was it has a time line at the bottom, usefull if you need to go back a good 20 pages, in mobi this would take forever.
It does landscape, useful at times, pages dont turn as fast but still very useful.
User interface is simple and fast but it would be better if i could see the cover of the comic, but im guessing that would slow down the speed.

oh the price of course its FREE

Nykwil
Apr 18, 2010, 08:49 PM
currently using Comic Reader Mobi. it's pricey, but i cant complain having it loaded up with 600+ issues of Amazing Spider-Man

It's a a good comic reader

jodorowsky00
Apr 18, 2010, 08:53 PM
currently using Comic Reader Mobi. it's pricey, but i cant complain having it loaded up with 600+ issues of Amazing Spider-Man

It's a a good comic reader

i know i got it the day i got my ipad, you should try cloudreaders i would like to see your opinion. right know im deleting all my mobi comics and puting them on Clouldreaders, when ever mobi gets update and has the features i want i wil go back.

jeffy777
Apr 18, 2010, 09:01 PM
ComicRack is a good free tool for converting comics to PDF in Windows:
http://comicrack.cyolito.com/

I use GoodReader for reading the PDFs.

jodorowsky00
Apr 18, 2010, 09:46 PM
ComicRack is a good free tool for converting comics to PDF in Windows:
http://comicrack.cyolito.com/

I use GoodReader for reading the PDFs.

ger clouldreaders it reads cbr,cbz, zip,rar and pdf. freeeee

jeffy777
Apr 18, 2010, 10:55 PM
ger clouldreaders it reads cbr,cbz, zip,rar and pdf. freeeee

ComicRack is free too, and the reason why I use it is to convert CBR to PDF because I don't want to spend money on a comic reader app when I can just use GoodReader.

PlayHard
Apr 18, 2010, 11:18 PM
I've got both Comiczeal and CRM and both have their strengths. Personally, I prefer the more polished feel of Comiczeal (even though I love CRM's zoom). BUT, both have a disadvantage and that's managing the comics and automatically syncing new ones. This is where Comic Book Lover has the opportunity to blow them all away. Since they already have a desktop app that is like iTunes, if I can set up playlists (and smartlists) to manage which comics get synced then I'll be all over it. Right now, I have this manual, crappy way to manage which ones to sync.

digiphantom
Apr 18, 2010, 11:54 PM

Tempting, but I am having so much success using Jomic to convert comics to PDF, and viewing them in Goodreader that I'm not sure I need anything else..

I see that CRM is $9.99 in the App Store, but when I go to purchase, it won't let me.

jodorowsky00
Apr 19, 2010, 12:00 AM
I see that CRM is $9.99 in the App Store, but when I go to purchase, it won't let me.

try cloud readers first its free and im using that instead of the comic reader mobi i got.

happyslayer
Apr 19, 2010, 12:03 AM
I just got things all setup on the iPad...

I am using ComicZeal 4.x with a lot of *.cbr and *.cbz files (a couple hundred) and it is working great! The zoom feature (pinch) and the panning work really well. I showed it to a friend and he was so excited, he's going to buy an iPad just for the comics and ComicZeal (He's very into comics. He's got several hundred e-copies of his paper comics.)

So here's a plus one for ComicZeal.

gwynne
Apr 19, 2010, 01:16 PM
Still very happy with CZ.

MikeCase
Apr 19, 2010, 01:27 PM
I've tried using cloud reader and thought it was terrible. The page rendering didn't seem very polished, it would show the current page, part of the previous page and part of the next page in portrait mode! I figured it would at -least- render each page properly as a comic reader.

The only benefit of it I see is that it works (I guess) and is free.

gwynne
Apr 19, 2010, 02:54 PM
A friend of mine just gave me this link, I don't *think* it's been mentioned here.

http://www.htmlcomics.com/

It's an enormous browser-based comic archive.

jodorowsky00
Apr 19, 2010, 04:19 PM
I've tried using cloud reader and thought it was terrible. The page rendering didn't seem very polished, it would show the current page, part of the previous page and part of the next page in portrait mode! I figured it would at -least- render each page properly as a comic reader.

The only benefit of it I see is that it works (I guess) and is free.

really was it a cbr or rar? on my ipad clould readers is much faster than crm in portrate and a bit slow on landscape but thats natural its refreshing 2 pages.

MikeCase
Apr 19, 2010, 04:23 PM
really was it a cbr or rar? on my ipad clould readers is much faster than crm in portrate and a bit slow on landscape but thats natural its refreshing 2 pages.

I have a mix of rar, cbr, zip, and cbz. In my experiences, I noticed a slight slowdown in CRM when going to previous pages but is extremely fast in going forward.

jodorowsky00
Apr 19, 2010, 04:35 PM
I have a mix of rar, cbr, zip, and cbz. In my experiences, I noticed a slight slowdown in CRM when going to previous pages but is extremely fast in going forward.

same thing with me, but i think that going back its too slow, i see like a spinning wheel for 2 or 3 seconds but going forward is fast. On cloud readers i can go back and forward extremely fast. I find the timeline in Cloud Reader very usefull for mangas like ghost in the shell or akira that every nobel is 300+ pages, sometimes i have to go back a few pages to remember stuff that was talked about before.

I just hope someone includes searching by letters it takes years to browse 5000 mangas, books and comics. In Crm it crashes maybe that just happens to me.

1appleAday
Apr 19, 2010, 06:00 PM
I tried both AirSharing HD and GoodReader to read my comics (in zip/rar) and the experience wasn't very good. GoodReader shows better pic quality but needs to unzip/unarchive the file first. AirSharing HD doesn't need to unzip but the pics are less sharp. Both had some lag when pages are turn.

Then I noticed the price for Comic Reader Mobi drops to 9.99 and I bought it. It took me some time to get the setting right, but once it's set up the experience is very nice. No lag at page turning (unless you go back and forth. if you keep going in one direction is fast). Pics are sharp. I like it.

jodorowsky00
Apr 19, 2010, 06:16 PM
I tried both AirSharing HD and GoodReader to read my comics (in zip/rar) and the experience wasn't very good. GoodReader shows better pic quality but needs to unzip/unarchive the file first. AirSharing HD doesn't need to unzip but the pics are less sharp. Both had some lag when pages are turn.

Then I noticed the price for Comic Reader Mobi drops to 9.99 and I bought it. It took me some time to get the setting right, but once it's set up the experience is very nice. No lag at page turning (unless you go back and forth. if you keep going in one direction is fast). Pics are sharp. I like it.

i bought comic reader mobi when it was 15 or 13, yeah going back is a pain, i also sometimes like to tap not swipe to turn page and it doesnt do it, and the search makes me crash the app. the developer is kind of a ass lol.but it sill way better than comic zeal, but ive just changed to cloud readers thats free and i think lots of comic book fans should try it out.

jeffy777
Apr 20, 2010, 11:53 AM
A friend of mine just gave me this link, I don't *think* it's been mentioned here.

Whoa, that is awesome. Over 300,000 comics :eek:

Thanks for sharing. I wish there was a way to save those as .cbr files or something......

Avenger
Apr 20, 2010, 12:09 PM
Ah damn it. This argument became less meaningful since the author of Comic Reader Mobi has just posted that he has been banned as an Apple Developer for 1 year because he didn't take the custom USB sync out of the program when asked to by Apple. I was wondering why Comic Zeal had to comply (they groaned abt. it when they removed it but they complied) and Comic Book Mobi still had the feature. I wasn't using this feature since iTunes 9.1 supported the official USB syncing mechanism for the iPad. So right now Comic Reader Mobi on iPhoe/iPad doesn't have a future. I'll probably keep using it until some OS update from Apple (prob. 4.0) will trip it up and need an update from the author which now can't be done. I'll look into Comic Zeal shortly.

Anyway I feel bad for us followers who thought the program was going to be supported at least in the short term. But I guess there are never any guarantees.

RMXO
Apr 20, 2010, 12:22 PM

Can't even get the site to load.

MikeCase
Apr 20, 2010, 12:24 PM
Ah damn it. This argument became less meaningful since the author of Comic Reader Mobi has just posted that he has been banned as an Apple Developer for 1 year because he didn't take the custom USB sync out of the program when asked to by Apple. I was wondering why Comic Zeal had to comply (they groaned abt. it when they removed it but they complied) and Comic Book Mobi still had the feature. I wasn't using this feature since iTunes 9.1 supported the official USB syncing mechanism for the iPad. So right now Comic Reader Mobi on iPhoe/iPad doesn't have a future. I'll probably keep using it until some OS update from Apple (prob. 4.0) will trip it up and need an update from the author which now can't be done. I'll look into Comic Zeal shortly.

Anyway I feel bad for us followers who thought the program was going to be supported at least in the short term. But I guess there are never any guarantees.

Well crap. Please inform us of how CZ is from a CRM user when you do look into it :D

gwynne
Apr 20, 2010, 12:29 PM
Can't even get the site to load.

Interesting, same. It was working for me yesterday and apparently someone upthread got it to load at some point. I'm not at all familiar with the site so not sure if outages are common.

The CRM thing is interesting, gonna go dig for more infos.

Edit: Yikes!

http://forums.comicreader.mobi/showthread.php?415-Comic-Reader-Mobi-banned-for-1-year&p=2464#post2464

As a temporary messure, I modified the website so that when Apple visited they got a wifi version of ComicSync instead of the usb version.

jeffy777
Apr 20, 2010, 12:31 PM
Interesting, same. It was working for me yesterday and apparently someone upthread got it to load at some point. I'm not at all familiar with the site so not sure if outages are common.

It was working great last night and this morning, but it's down now.

FSUSem1noles
Apr 20, 2010, 12:38 PM
Can anyone recommend the best site or way to get DC comics, I have comic zeal but for the life of me I can't find any sites that have any digital copies of DC comics..

At this point I may as well go buy the paper version and just scan the thing..

jodorowsky00
Apr 20, 2010, 04:21 PM
Can anyone recommend the best site or way to get DC comics, I have comic zeal but for the life of me I can't find any sites that have any digital copies of DC comics..

At this point I may as well go buy the paper version and just scan the thing..

Did you ever do a search on a torrent.

pooryou
Apr 20, 2010, 04:22 PM
The CRM thing is interesting, gonna go dig for more infos.

Edit: Yikes!

http://forums.comicreader.mobi/showthread.php?415-Comic-Reader-Mobi-banned-for-1-year&p=2464#post2464

What an absolutely boneheaded move by the dev! I was wary of CRM when saw that a UI overhaul was not even on the radar and I'm glad I skipped it.

Of course on that forum you see the usual handwringing over Apple's policies, but the dev was clearly in the wrong here. LOL at the people saying they will return their iPad: as if there aren't plenty of other, better options already....

jodorowsky00
Apr 20, 2010, 04:30 PM
What an absolutely boneheaded move by the dev! I was wary of CRM when saw that a UI overhaul was not even on the radar and I'm glad I skipped it.

Of course on that forum you see the usual handwringing over Apple's policies, but the dev was clearly in the wrong here. LOL at the people saying they will return their iPad: as if there aren't plenty of other, better options already....

Developer tried to gain a advantage over other comic readers that took the feature off, so they deserve it. I never liked the developer but I got it because it was the best app at the time for the iPad. Apple should have a refund policy for stuff like this. I would also like to know when did apple tell him to take the feature off and when was the final notice. He could have told customers before hand.

Well back to reading Danger Girl on the Cloud Readers app on my iPad.

gwynne
Apr 20, 2010, 05:22 PM

Yeah, I went into it open-minded, wondering why Apple had cared about some comic app, then lost sympathy when he was all "and then I tried to trick Apple into thinking I really was following the development rules..."

Hey, maybe the dev was one of the people who was posting here and getting mad at anyone who used anything but CRM. =)

Anyway, still happy with "middle of the road" comic zeal. But I don't have a huge collection.

Swampthing
Apr 20, 2010, 05:56 PM

Same here, I've been trying for days with no luck. "The item you tried to buy is no longer available."

FSUSem1noles
Apr 20, 2010, 06:06 PM
Same here, I've been trying for days with no luck. "The item you tried to buy is no longer available."

CRM was pulled because the Developer violated Apple's Terms of removing USB syncing... His developer membership was suspended and he can reapply again for membership in a year..

As of now, CRM is dead... he is trying to get Apple to at least let him send out an update to the App that he has ready, if Apple declines he may try to release the update via iPad Jailbreak, when it happens...

1appleAday
Apr 20, 2010, 06:19 PM
Good thing I was able to get CRM when it's still available and on sale. Bad thing it's dead 2 days I purchased it. It really sucks since if I understand correctly it won't work with OS4 when it comes up for iPad later this year.

Anyone knows any comic reader that can handle zip/rar? I hate to go back to Goodreader/Airsharing HD...

gwynne
Apr 20, 2010, 06:58 PM
I wonder if Apple will issue refunds in this situation? I assume most buyers had no idea what was going on behind the scenes.

Swampthing
Apr 20, 2010, 07:27 PM
As of now, CRM is dead... he is trying to get Apple to at least let him send out an update to the App that he has ready, if Apple declines he may try to release the update via iPad Jailbreak, when it happens...

Thanks for the heads up. I think I'll stick with Comic Zeal, as the last thing I want to do is invest in an app that no longer works in just three months.

Scarpad
Apr 20, 2010, 08:42 PM
Comic Zeal 4 works great, syncing is nice and fast now as well, It's my main reader.

gkrykewy
Apr 20, 2010, 09:28 PM
Try CloudReaders. It's free, and works very well.

jodorowsky00
Apr 20, 2010, 10:32 PM
Good thing I was able to get CRM when it's still available and on sale. Bad thing it's dead 2 days I purchased it. It really sucks since if I understand correctly it won't work with OS4 when it comes up for iPad later this year.

Anyone knows any comic reader that can handle zip/rar? I hate to go back to Goodreader/Airsharing HD...

Cloud Readers!!!!!!!!

jeffy777
Apr 20, 2010, 11:17 PM
Cloud Readers!!!!!!!!

Yeah, it's pretty good, and the best part is it's FREE.

So how does Comic Zeal compare to this? Is it worth buying, or is this free one just as good?

jodorowsky00
Apr 21, 2010, 01:03 AM
Yeah, it's pretty good, and the best part is it's FREE.

So how does Comic Zeal compare to this? Is it worth buying, or is this free one just as good?

I have all 3 and use Cloud Readers its very fast and for some reason i think where the comics look best. also if you read mangas it has an option to read the pages the japanese way.

1appleAday
Apr 21, 2010, 01:24 AM
Cloud Readers!!!!!!!!

Downloading! Thanks for the suggestion! Will try it out sooooooon!:D

jodorowsky00
Apr 21, 2010, 01:42 AM
Downloading! Thanks for the suggestion! Will try it out sooooooon!:D

Glad to know let us know what you think after using it.

By the way Mr Snakajima will be upgrading Clould Readers from 1.3 to 1.4, the app has already been submitted. It will add better support for large jpegs in zip and rar files and bug fixes.Wow he works fast.

Soulcrux
Apr 21, 2010, 01:45 AM

By the way Mr Snakajima will be upgrading Clould Readers from 1.3 to 1.4, the app has already been submitted. It will add better support for large jpegs in zip and rar files and bug fixes.Wow he works fast.

Something tells me you either work for this guy, or you know him.

To me, CRM seemed like a slightly better app. But now that it's gone, i guess it's up to the competition. Let your friend know=He should try getting a cooler looking icon. One that wasn't made in Paint in five minutes.

jodorowsky00
Apr 21, 2010, 01:53 AM
Something tells me you either work for this guy, or you know him.

To me, CRM seemed like a slightly better app. But now that it's gone, i guess it's up to the competition. Let your friend know=He should try getting a cooler looking icon. One that wasn't made in Paint in five minutes.

Lol :) But if you read at the beginning of this thread i used to be a strong supporter of CRM i got it when it was like 15 bucks (i posted pictures and i gave a review of it so people would understand why it was worth it.) but as soon as i got to know the developer i knew he was shady. So i got Comic Zeal but comic zeal is all gui but no real engine to support it all. Then when Cloud Readers came out on the 9 i tried it and soon i was preaching it lol.

Oh and i know the icon is not cool, well if i talk to him i will ask him.
But i think a search option is more important , because i have like 5000 comics and searching for the ones with Z is a pain, i think in CRM in search it would crash, does it crash on yours.

Soulcrux
Apr 21, 2010, 01:56 AM
Lol :) But if you read at the beginning of this thread i sued to be a strong supporter of CRM i got it when it was like 15 bucks, but it started as soon as i got to know the developer i knew he was shady. So i got Comic Zeal but comic zeal is all gui but no real engine to support it all. Then when Cloud Readers came out on the 9 i tried it and soon i was preaching it lol.

Oh and i know the icon is not cool, well if i talk to him i will ask him.
But i think a search option is more important , because i have like 5000 comics and searching for the ones with Z is a pain, i think in CRM in search it would crash, does it crash on yours.

I never actually used CRM.As you can see, I don't have my iPad yet. As i said, it "seemed" slightly better. The fact that it's GUI was pretty okay, coupled with the fact that it was currently the fastest (according to reviews). I'll be sure to test out Cloud Readers. But as of right now, the GUI seems kind of barebones. Would love for there to be coverart displayed on the library list.

jodorowsky00
Apr 21, 2010, 02:00 AM
I never actually used CRM.As you can see, I don't have my iPad yet. As i said, it "seemed" slightly better. The fact that it's GUI was pretty okay, coupled with the fact that it was currently the fastest (according to reviews). I'll be sure to test out Cloud Readers. But as of right now, the GUI seems kind of barebones. Would love for there to be coverart displayed on the library list.

The GUI as my understanding goes will remain barebones because he said a good GUI is one that you dont notice. I can understand that to a point because i imagen that if every book i had had a thumbnail it would make the app slower, and i think he is going for simple and damn fast. So when are you getting your iPad.

Meeeep Comic Reader has thumnails and the GUI is more complex but only support for zip, i guess i can raname the cbz to zip and unrar the rars and rename the cbr to rar and do the same and then zip but its a pain.

Soulcrux
Apr 21, 2010, 02:24 AM
The GUI as my understanding goes will remain barebones because he said a good GUI is one that you dont notice. I can understand that to a point because i imagen that if every book i had had a thumbnail it would make the app slower, and i think he is going for simple and damn fast. So when are you getting your iPad.

Meeeep Comic Reader has thumnails and the GUI is more complex but only support for zip, i guess i can raname the cbz to zip and unrar the rars and rename the cbr to rar and do the same and then zip but its a pain.

I get my iPad on April 30, when the 3Gs are supposed to be delivered.

Alot of people are talking about ZIP formats. Is it necessary/better to transfer them over compressed? I have both compressed and .PDF files of my e-comics, but I'm just wondering why the compressed formats seem to be so popular in these readers..?

spammerhamster
Apr 21, 2010, 02:27 AM
Lol :) But if you read at the beginning of this thread i used to be a strong supporter of CRM i got it when it was like 15 bucks (i posted pictures and i gave a review of it so people would understand why it was worth it.) but as soon as i got to know the developer i knew he was shady.

Care to elaborate?

Soulcrux
Apr 21, 2010, 02:32 AM
Care to elaborate?

He was bypassing Apple's review time. They asked him to remove the USB synching (this was before iPad and before iTunes allowed transfer of files through iTunes) but instead of complying, he just messed with the app so that when an Apple IP accessed it, it wouldn't show the USB sync method.

He claimed this was "for his customers" since "many of them didn't have wireless networks"
I find this a very stupid excuse. First off, i find it hard to imagine that someone has an iPhone but doesn't have WiFi in their house yet. Second, even if people didn't...if it really mattered that much to them, they could've gone out and bought routers. They run as cheap as $25. And it'll give them alot of usage besides synching comics anyway.

jodorowsky00
Apr 21, 2010, 02:40 AM
Care to elaborate?

Well we all know that before he got banned for a year ye got a notice saying to stop using the sync feature. HE was the only one that didnt stop and because of that other comic readers could not compete with the feature and he would charge 15 bucks because of it. He in his forums tells he didnt know Apple was strict, COME ON does anybody is this site not know that if Apple sends you a message to stop doing something you wont have consequences.
After everybody else got ban he continued, he knew he had his days counted so he cut the price to 9.99 to get even more customers knowing well the product would not have another update ever. Of course he will never tell you that! All he does is make up bad excuses. Even before all of this he was never very open in his answers.

Soulcrux
Apr 21, 2010, 02:48 AM
Well we all know that before he got banned for a year ye got a notice saying to stop using the sync feature. HE was the only one that didnt stop and because of that other comic readers could not compete with the feature and he would charge 15 bucks because of it. He in his forums tells he didnt know Apple was strict, COME ON does anybody is this site not know that if Apple sends you a message to stop doing something you wont have consequences.
After everybody else got ban he continued, he knew he had his days counted so he cut the price to 9.99 to get even more customers knowing well the product would not have another update ever. Of course he will never tell you that! All he does is make up bad excuses. Even before all of this he was never very open in his answers.

BTW do you think you could answer my "PDF versus CBZ/zip" question three posts up?

jodorowsky00
Apr 21, 2010, 02:58 AM
BTW do you think you could answer my "PDF versus CBZ/zip" question three posts up?

well pdf are for books you find online and the cbz/zip or cbr/rarare preferred for comics there just jpegs compressed the files are preferred i guess only because thats the format you get them online. Sometimes i have to go back and unzip some files to reorder them since some torrents dont number them well. You cant drag folders with jpegs into the itunes sync it wont work it has to be file type. I dont know i i answered your question, if not can you rephrase it.

Soulcrux
Apr 21, 2010, 03:01 AM
well pdf are for books you find online and the cbz/zip or cbr/rarare preferred for comics there just jpegs compressed the files are preferred i guess only because thats the format you get them online. Sometimes i have to go back and unzip some files to reorder them since some torrents dont number them well. You cant drag folders with jpegs into the itunes sync it wont work it has to be file type. I dont know i i answered your question, if not can you rephrase it.

Yes, I downloaded all my comics as CBRs. But then I just extracted them into PDFs. My question is, is there any benefit from putting it on the iPad directly as a CBR?

jodorowsky00
Apr 21, 2010, 03:10 AM
Yes, I downloaded all my comics as CBRs. But then I just extracted them into PDFs. My question is, is there any benefit from putting it on the iPad directly as a CBR?

i find that strange because a pdf in a cbr or cbz does not work under a comic reader. a pdf is the adobe format and cbr or cbz are only used for jpeg or png images. Even in comicbooklover for mac it wont read a pdf in a cbz,zip, cbr, or rar file.

Soulcrux
Apr 21, 2010, 03:14 AM
i find that strange because a pdf in a cbr or cbz does not work under a comic reader. a pdf is the adobe format and cbr or cbz are only used for jpeg or png images. Even in comicbooklover for mac it wont read a pdf in a cbz,zip, cbr, or rar file.

OOps, sorry. meant jpg.

But my question still stands=

Is there any difference between putting my comics in as CBRs or Jpegs?

jodorowsky00
Apr 21, 2010, 03:28 AM
OOps, sorry. meant jpg.

But my question still stands=

Is there any difference between putting my comics in as CBRs or Jpegs?

Benefits of cbr/cbz over zip/rar?
i think its tagging , meta data that some people use.
Benefit of cbr over cbz?
scannner do cbr for some reason.
Benefit cbz over cbr
better tweaking
Benefits of Rar/Cbr over Zip/Cbz
Smaller size by a bit
Why Zips or Rar instead of Jpeg
If its a jpeg in a folder you might as well make a album in iphoto and view it in photos app.
Its better to have one folder = volume 1.zip then 300 pages of jpegs to deal with. For downloading big files its better to compress if people ill be uploading.

If that didnt answer your question, then rephrase again :)

Soulcrux
Apr 21, 2010, 03:38 AM
Benefit of cbr over cbz?
Benefit cbz over cbr
better tweaking
Smaller size by a bit
If its a jpeg in a folder you might as well make a album in iphoto and view it in photos app.
Its better to have one folder = volume 1.zip then 300 pages of jpegs to deal with. For downloading big files its better to compress if people ill be uploading.

If that didnt answer your question, then rephrase again :)

But doesn't using compressed images cause the whole "loading" problem...?

pooryou
Apr 21, 2010, 03:38 AM
Wow, I finally tried out Cloud Readers and I really don't understand the hype. Quite underwhelming barebones app in my opinion. Hey it's free so I won't complain too much, but I won't be using it for anything. It skipped over the first few pages of the .cbr file I tried it with, and the sideways scrolling thing it does is just annoying. Features? UI? Severely lacking. I prefer Goodreader by a mile.

Soulcrux, CBRs and CBZs are just folders of images, RARed or ZIPped, respectively. The advantage is that it is compressed and one file instead of a folder, and that's about it. Personally I use a free app called Jomic to batch convert CBR and CBZ files to PDFs, which works splendidly. PDFs are more compatible and the same file size, in my opinion there is no downside. You have a lot more options for PDF readers than those other formats. Goodreader is only 99 cents and is has lots of great features and is working perfectly for me as a PDF comic reader. You can zoom in to exactly fill the screen and it retains the zoom level as you change pages. Some people seem to think it's slow but I have not had that problem at all.

Soulcrux
Apr 21, 2010, 03:48 AM
Wow, I finally tried out Cloud Readers and I really don't understand the hype. Quite underwhelming barebones app in my opinion. Hey it's free so I won't complain too much, but I won't be using it for anything. It skipped over the first few pages of the .cbr file I tried it with, and the sideways scrolling thing it does is just annoying. Features? UI? Severely lacking. I prefer Goodreader by a mile.

Soulcrux, CBRs and CBZs are just folders of images, RARed or ZIPped, respectively. The advantage is that it is compressed and one file instead of a folder, and that's about it. Personally I use a free app called Jomic to batch convert CBR and CBZ files to PDFs, which works splendidly. PDFs are more compatible and the same file size, in my opinion there is no downside. You have a lot more options for PDF readers than those other formats. Goodreader is only 99 cents and is has lots of great features and is working perfectly for me as a PDF comic reader. You can zoom in to exactly fill the screen and it retains the zoom level as you change pages. Some people seem to think it's slow but I have not had that problem at all.

How fast is Jomic?

The reason I ask is because I downloaded 30 Volumes of Batman arcs, and i was thinking that'd probably take a while to convert to PDF..

jodorowsky00
Apr 21, 2010, 03:52 AM

Everybody should have goodreader but i dont think is necessary for a pdf reader, good reader lets you administer files, let you download anything on the web, lets you access dropbox.

again pooryou your the only one on this! Why would you convert a cbz/cbr into a pdf, pdf is more resource intensive (wastes battery) plus all comics are in cbz and cbr that you might download. I dont think no one uses goodreader except you :) to view comics, and like i said in other comments i love goodreader and i use it as a file manager not a pdf reader theres way better pdf readers out there some where you can ever annotate. Some people think its slow!!!!! Isnt there a whole thread about people talking goodreader is slow for pdfs viewing.
Your trying to transform the comic file standard into something else by urself losing all standards just because!
What your doing is like transforming all you jpeg pictures in psd! why would you brake internet standard format like that? I dont know.

pooryou
Apr 21, 2010, 03:56 AM
How fast is Jomic?

The reason I ask is because I downloaded 30 Volumes of Batman arcs, and i was thinking that'd probably take a while to convert to PDF..

Its pretty fast, plus you can just load them all up at once and then let it go to work, so it really isn't any trouble.

pooryou
Apr 21, 2010, 04:09 AM
again pooryou your the only one on this! Why would you convert a cbz/cbr into a pdf, pdf is more resource intensive (wastes battery) plus all comics are in cbz and cbr that you might download. I dont think no one uses goodreader except you :) to view comics, and like i said in other comments i love goodreader and i use it as a file manager not a pdf reader theres way better pdf readers out there some where you can ever annotate. Some people :) think its slow, Isnt there was a whole thread about people talking goodreader is slow for pdfs viewing.

That's simply not true about PDFs being more resource intensive and wasting battery.

Annotate? I have never needed to annotate a PDF in my life, and certainly not a comic.

Goodreader takes well under a second to render the next page of a PDF, I don't consider that slow. I tested the exact same comic in Goodreader (PDF) and Cloud Reader (CBR) and I would say the perceived speed of Cloudreader is an illusion based on that stupid scrolling animation it does.

CBR and CBZ are obscure formats that will always require specialized software to view, whereas you will always have many excellent options for viewing PDFs. Since the conversion with Jomic is so painless, there is no reason not to go with PDF. On the iPhone I can understand that special comics-specific software might be needed for custom zooming etc. since the screen is so small (too small for reading comics if you ask me) but on the iPad any good PDF reader will work great for reading comics.

pooryou
Apr 21, 2010, 04:13 AM
Your trying to transform the comic file standard into something else by urself losing all standards just because!
What your doing is like transforming all you jpeg pictures in psd! why would you brake internet standard format like that? I dont know.

I disagree, there is no advantage to CBR and CBZ files, all they are is a compressed folder of images. There is nothing to lose, only compatibility to gain.

jodorowsky00
Apr 21, 2010, 04:19 AM
That's simply not true about PDFs being more resource intensive and wasting battery.

Annotate? I have never needed to annotate a PDF in my life, and certainly not a comic.

Goodreader takes well under a second to render the next page of a PDF, I don't consider that slow. I tested the exact same comic in Goodreader (PDF) and Cloud Reader (CBR) and I would say the perceived speed of Cloudreader is an illusion based on that stupid scrolling animation it does.

CBR and CBZ are obscure formats that will always require specialized software to view, whereas you will always have many excellent options for viewing PDFs. Since the conversion with Jomic is so painless, there is no reason not to go with PDF. On the iPhone I can understand that special comics-specific software might be needed for custom zooming etc. since the screen is so small (too small for reading comics if you ask me) but on the iPad any good PDF reader will work great for reading comics.

Pooryou while your at it redo all the torrents wit cbr and cbz to pdf.
Please search Pdf hog, Pdf memory resources, pdf cpu intensive.
People in the other tread even told you after i suggested Clould Readers that its not just faster its much faster and that you should try it :).
Now your on this thread making people convert all the zip,rar,cbr,cbz to pdf.
Also pdf with images run slower than cbr and cbz when refreshing pages.
Oh well if you want to continue professing converting Cbr,cbz,zip,rar to pdf go ahead after this i wont continue answering.

How do you gain compatibility by braking a internet standard? arrr never mind dont answer, dont want to continue this discussion.

pooryou
Apr 21, 2010, 04:29 AM
Pooryou while your at it redo all the torrents wit cbr and cbz to pdf.
Please search Pdf hog, Pdf memory resources, pdf cpu intensive.
People in the other tread even told you after i suggested Clould Readers that its not just faster its much faster and that you should try it :).
Now your on this thread making people convert all the zip,rar,cbr,cbz to pdf.
Also pdf with images run slower than cbr and cbz when refreshing pages.
Oh well if you want to continue professing converting Cbr,cbz,zip,rar to pdf go ahead after this i wont continue answering.

How do you gain compatibility by braking a internet standard? arrr never mind dont answer, dont want to continue this discussion.

Wait, how am I making anyone do anything? Can I make people put money into my Paypal account too? ;)

Hey if you don't want to use PDF that's fine with me, I haven't got any problem with that at all. However your assertion that I'm 'breaking an internet standard' is irrational and I have already addressed why. It's also not true that PDFs are slower, i'm not sure why you are saying that.

You really don't have to get worked up about this, it's ok for people to have different opinions.

spammerhamster
Apr 21, 2010, 04:45 AM
The advantage of CBR|Z, (besides it being the de facto standard) is that it is indeed "just" a compressed folder of images as you said.

Now there's nothing interesting about the compressed format, just that they are fast to decompress.

The more interesting is, that once decompressed (internally) in a comicreaderapp/program, the program can throw it's own arsenal of image enhancing tricks on the images themselves when resizing for the viewport.

Besides that, most programs will only put the current viewing and maybe the next and previous image into memory. The decompressed images just resides in some tempfolder.
While a PDF-app needs to have the complete file into memory or needs to "decompress the PDF-file every pageturn to get the next page".

--also... on your desktop, it's possible to show cbz/cbr as thumbnails.

pooryou
Apr 21, 2010, 04:51 AM
The advantage of CBR|Z, (besides it being the de facto standard) is that it is indeed "just" a compressed folder of images as you said.

Now there's nothing interesting about the compressed format, just that they are fast to decompress.

The more interesting is, that once decompressed (internally) in a comicreaderapp/program, the program can throw it's own arsenal of image enhancing tricks on the images themselves when resizing for the viewport.

Besides that, most programs will only put the current viewing and maybe the next and previous image into memory. The decompressed images just resides in some tempfolder.
While a PDF-app needs to have the complete file into memory or needs to "decompress the PDF-file every pageturn to get the next page".

Fair enough. But if PDF is working fine for me (which it is, even with 100mb+ files) then it just becomes a matter of preference, and I gave my reasons for mine.

Soulcrux
Apr 21, 2010, 04:58 AM

so which has faster pageturn?

pooryou
Apr 21, 2010, 05:07 AM

You should compare for yourself rather than relying on anyone else's opinion, including mine. It's simple enough to convert one or two comics and compare them in a few apps, and there are plenty of free and extremely cheap options.

The thing about speed is it should really be a non-issue in this scenario regardless of format. Reading is inherently linear; you (meaning the dev) always know what page is coming next and have plenty of time to preload it while the user is reading the current page. Any app that is not fast enough just needs to be better optimized.

spammerhamster
Apr 21, 2010, 05:46 AM

Depends on the app/program and the environment.

gwynne
Apr 21, 2010, 06:39 AM
Once again I don't understand why people have to be badgered into using one app. And now I realize it's the same person who was doing it before, only now it's a different app we're getting beat over the head with. I'd avoided this thread for a while because of it. A friend of mine tried cloud readers, I watched over his shoulder. There isn't much to it, I wasn't impressed. Only benefit I can see is that it's free. But I don't want to argue about it or read every second post saying "don't use that use this instead".

I don't mind discussing the pros and cons of what few readers are out there. But it's not a freaking contest.

jodorowsky00
Apr 21, 2010, 07:07 AM
Once again I don't understand why people have to be badgered into using one app. And now I realize it's the same person who was doing it before, only now it's a different app we're getting beat over the head with. I'd avoided this thread for a while because of it. A friend of mine tried cloud readers, I watched over his shoulder. There isn't much to it, I wasn't impressed. Only benefit I can see is that it's free. But I don't want to argue about it or read every second post saying "don't use that use this instead".

I don't mind discussing the pros and cons of what few readers are out there. But it's not a freaking contest.

Strange because you where the comic zeal fan boy and I was regarded as the comic reader mobi fan boy, yet now I like another program that doesn't make me a fan boy does it.
I Think your still mad because after our discussion that not only engadget and gizmodo and 2 other major gadget blogs said that comic reader mobi is the real thing and comic zeal is a good looking car with no engine as I recall.
Not only that your the only user that gives opinions on other app with out buying them or using them. Just looking other peoples shoulders.

spammerhamster
Apr 21, 2010, 07:17 AM

Well, I have CZ4, CRM in my dock. As I want to sort the type of comics into apps.
No app really has a good collection management, that's why.. (and also because CZ4 itunes transfer gets really slow after 10GB transferred files)

I now use CZ4 for collections and CRM for single/new issues I want to read asap.

jodorowsky00
Apr 21, 2010, 07:23 AM
Well, I have CZ4, CRM in my dock. As I want to sort the type of comics into apps.
No app really has a good collection management, that's why.. (and also because CZ4 itunes transfer gets really slow after 10GB transferred files)

I now use CZ4 for collections and CRM for single/new issues I want to read asap.

How much gb of comics do you have?
What comics do you have?

rickeames
Apr 21, 2010, 07:42 AM
What is the best source for comics?

spammerhamster
Apr 21, 2010, 07:45 AM
How much gb of comics do you have?
What comics do you have?

On the ipad or my collection?

US-comics: 70GB
EU-Comics: 150GB
Manga: 260GB

What is the best source for comics?

Internet

gwynne
Apr 21, 2010, 08:03 AM
Strange because you where the comic zeal fan boy and I was regarded as the comic reader mobi fan boy, yet now I like another program that doesn't make me a fan boy does it.
I Think your still mad because after our discussion that not only engadget and gizmodo and 2 other major gadget blogs said that comic reader mobi is the real thing and comic zeal is a good looking car with no engine as I recall. Not only that your the only user that gives opinions on other app with out buying them or using them. Just looking other peoples shoulders.

And once again, you're utterly missing the point. I'm not a fan boy (I'm not a boy at all). I've got no personal investment in ANY of the apps, they've all got major weaknesses. I just find it annoying that you feel the need to try to argue everyone into using whatever your favorite app of the moment is, instead of allowing people to discuss the pros and cons of all of them. Comic Zeal is working for me. The difference, though, is that I don't tell people they're wrong for not using it.

Just quit replying to every single post and saying "no, use [insert app here] instead", and the conversation will flow a little more smoothly.

MikeCase
Apr 21, 2010, 08:13 AM
And once again, you're utterly missing the point. I'm not a fan boy (I'm not a boy at all). I've got no personal investment in ANY of the apps, they've all got major weaknesses. I just find it annoying that you feel the need to try to argue everyone into using whatever your favorite app of the moment is, instead of allowing people to discuss the pros and cons of all of them. Comic Zeal is working for me. The difference, though, is that I don't tell people they're wrong for not using it.

Just quit replying to every single post and saying "no, use [insert app here]" instead, and the conversation will flow a little more smoothly.

Agreed. Half this thread is just jodorowsky00 saying how great Cloudreaders is.

Cloudreaders renders pages terribly, doesn't keep a zoom level and just looks terrible. The excuse for a terrible GUI is speed? There are tons of great apps that are blazing fast and have beautiful interfaces.

That's my opinion and I'm not going to reply to every person saying try are wrong if they don't use my preferred app. :D

gwynne
Apr 21, 2010, 08:15 AM

I actually ended up going back to using CZ's stand-alone sync (rather than iTunes) because I like the ability to categorize them into a series/collection during sync. But I've only done a few gigs and it's definitely not all that stable. (I guess there's also compression issues that people don't like, but I don't have a good eye for graphics quality so I don't see the difference.)

Critical Hippo
Apr 21, 2010, 09:04 AM
I actually ended up going back to using CZ's stand-alone sync (rather than iTunes) because I like the ability to categorize them into a series/collection during sync. But I've only done a few gigs and it's definitely not all that stable. (I guess there's also compression issues that people don't like, but I don't have a good eye for graphics quality so I don't see the difference.)

I just use iTunes sync and then use the in-software options to sort my full-resolution comic files.

I'm glad I didn't end up buying CRM, but I do hope new challengers enter the market; the Comic Zeal could be so much better, but it doesn't have much need to compete unless a true competitor pops up again. I'll have to see if Cloudreader makes a good alternative.

As for the comics format, it's a "scene" thing. Groups like DCP and Minutemen are the primary source for tens of thousands of scanned comics; when new comics hit the shelves on Wednesday, these groups are the ones that get them online by Thursday. When they do this, and when they put them in torrents, Usenet and Direct Connect hubs, they distribute the files in .cbr/.cbz format. When people share the files, they share them in those same formats. When people made software specifically aimed at reading comics on computers, they optimized the software to deal with image files collected in .cbr/.cbz format.

Digital music could have ended up in any number of superior formats, but today the inferior .mp3 format is still the most popular because it took hold early. The same is true for .avi for standard definition tv caps and the matroska container for h.264 content. Regardless of whether pdf is better or worse in general, it has already missed its opportunity to become the format of choice for comics.

H00513R
Apr 21, 2010, 09:22 AM
:eek: I definitely think this thread needs a poll!!!

pooryou
Apr 21, 2010, 10:41 AM
. Regardless of whether pdf is better or worse in general, it has already missed its opportunity to become the format of choice for comics.

I don't really see why you would say that when it's so painlessly easy convert them. It's definitely a viable option for those who want to do it.

jkvelez
Apr 21, 2010, 10:44 AM
http://www.macsparrow.blogspot.com/
Un sitio para aprender espaņol mientras disfrutas de las novedades de apple.
:o:apple:

spammerhamster
Apr 21, 2010, 10:52 AM
I don't really see why you would say that when it's so painlessly easy convert them. It's definitely a viable option for those who want to do it.

You know what's easier than converting them? Not having to convert them at all :)

Pared
Apr 21, 2010, 02:14 PM

You know what's easier than converting them? Not having to convert them at all :)

Haha.... there ya go.

It's painlessly easy to drag and drop them and view them in other readers as well. :p

pooryou
Apr 21, 2010, 02:58 PM

True but where does it end? Maybe it would be even easier not to read them at all ;)

If I find a worthwhile comic reader someday maybe I will stop converting, but compared to the effort of actually acquiring them in the first place it's pretty negligible. It could easily be made into a folder action: comics download into folder, automatically get converted.

jodorowsky00
Apr 21, 2010, 04:27 PM
True but where does it end? Maybe it would be even easier not to read them at all ;)

If I find a worthwhile comic reader someday maybe I will stop converting, but compared to the effort of actually acquiring them in the first place it's pretty negligible. It could easily be made into a folder action: comics download into folder, automatically get converted.

It's strange how you people think I only talk about cloud readers when I'm the only in this thread that has used all comic readers and have given reviews of all of them , I don't see people talking about Meeep or Comicpad now renamed ComicRad. Also I don't see any in site on the comic apps, I constantly give updates to these apps, even talk to the developers.
I also wrote a review about the advantages of all zip,rar,cbr,cbz.

pooryou
Apr 21, 2010, 04:30 PM
It's strange how you people think I only talk about cloud readers when I'm the only in this thread that has used all comic readers and have given reviews of all of them , I don't see people talking about Meeep or Comicpad now renamed ComicRad. Also I don't see any in site on the comic apps, I constantly give updates to these apps, even talk to the developers.
I also wrote a review about the advantages of all zip,rar,cbr,cbz.

That had absolutely nothing to do with my post you quoted. Maybe you should get some fresh air.

MikeCase
Apr 21, 2010, 04:34 PM
It's strange how you people think I only talk about cloud readers when I'm the only in this thread that has used all comic readers and have given reviews of all of them , I don't see people talking about Meeep or Comicpad now renamed ComicRad. Also I don't see any in site on the comic apps, I constantly give updates to these apps, even talk to the developers. I also wrote a review about the advantages of all zip,rar,cbr,cbz.

I wouldn't exactly call this monstrosity of text a "review". How does it have anything to do with our choice of a reader?

Benefit of cbr over cbz?
Benefit cbz over cbr
better tweaking
Smaller size by a bit

Wimmachine
Apr 21, 2010, 04:39 PM
I have been following this thread from page 1 while I anticipate my impending iPad purchase, as reading comic books (CBR/CBZ) will be one of my primary uses for the iPad... and I have to say I am somewhat confused due to recent application updates, removals, etc that I am unable to verify as I do not yet own an iPad. This thread has devolved several times into a war of opinions and I would like to bring it back on track.. Some answers to the following questions / statements would be appreciated, and if we may stick to the facts please that would be great:

- Comic Zeal is currently the only app categorized as a "comic book reader" available for purchase that reads CBR/CBZ files?
- Comic Zeal offers its own method of importing files [sync] in addition to importing files via iTunes (elaboration / differentiation on these two methods would be appreciated).
- Comic Zeal performs some sort of compression on CBR/CBZ files?
- The compression done by Comic Zeal results in a discernible drop in image quality?
- Comic Zeal has poor file-management implementation? (elaboration on its functional capabilities would be appreciated).

I am aware that you can convert CBR/CBZ files to PDF. To me this is a workaround. My opinion is that a developer creating a comic reader app is going to have a different goal in mind and implement different functionality within the app than that of a developer creating a PDF reader app (e.g. file-management capabilities, meta-data implementation, UI, etc). I know there are plenty of PDF reader apps out there, and once the discussion moves to converting CBR/CBZ files to PDF, this thread essentially turns into a discussion (or argument) regarding which is the better PDF reader app, to me that is off topic.

Thanks for your comments.

jodorowsky00
Apr 21, 2010, 04:42 PM
I wouldn't exactly call this monstrosity of text a "review". How does it have anything to do with our choice of a reader?

Well if you compare that to what otter people say, yeah I don't like cloud reader because I look over someones shoulder and it sucks.

You approve of this

A friend of mine tried cloud readers, I watched over his shoulder. There isn't much to it, I wasn't impressed.

MikeCase
Apr 21, 2010, 04:43 PM
Well if you compare that to what otter people say, yeah I don't like cloud reader because I look over someones shoulder and it sucks.

You approve of this

A friend of mine tried cloud readers, I watched over his shoulder. There isn't much to it, I wasn't impressed.

I don't know what this means.

pooryou
Apr 21, 2010, 04:50 PM
I am aware that you can convert CBR/CBZ files to PDF. To me this is a workaround. My opinion is that a developer creating a comic reader app is going to have a different goal in mind and implement different functionality within the app than that of a developer creating a PDF reader app (e.g. file-management capabilities, meta-data implementation, UI, etc). I know there are plenty of PDF reader apps out there, and once the discussion moves to converting CBR/CBZ files to PDF, this thread essentially turns into a discussion (or argument) regarding which is the better PDF reader app, to me that is off topic.

The comic-specific functions are only really relevant on the iPhone where workarounds are needed due to lack of screen real estate. There is no functionality that comic-specific apps on the iPad have that makes them inherently superior when it comes to actually viewing the pages. In essence, on the iPad, a PDF reader IS a comic reading app. Sorry if you feel it's off topic but in my opinion you are wrong about that.

For someone with so many questions, you should be less quick to judge what is off-topic.

Wimmachine
Apr 21, 2010, 04:56 PM
The comic-specific functions are only really relevant on the iPhone where workarounds are needed due to lack of screen real estate. There is no functionality that comic-specific apps on the iPad have that makes them inherently superior when it comes to actually viewing the pages. In essence, on the iPad, a PDF reader IS a comic reading app. Sorry if you feel it's off topic but in my opinion you are wrong about that.

For someone with so many questions, you should be less quick to judge what is off-topic.

Thanks for answering my questions.

For some, converting to PDF is not an option, as CBR/CBZ metadata is lost. I do not own an iPad so I do not know, but do PDF readers provide a way of categorizing / managing files into collections? You chose not to answer any of my other questions but instead find one statement in my post and flame me for it? Thanks for the warm welcome.

jeffy777
Apr 21, 2010, 04:58 PM

Agreed. A cbr/cbz file is usually just a collection of images (each page is a separate image), so converting then to PDF really doesn't change anything at all.

spammerhamster
Apr 21, 2010, 04:59 PM
I have been following this thread from page 1 while I anticipate my impending iPad purchase, as reading comic books (CBR/CBZ) will be one of my primary uses for the iPad... and I have to say I am somewhat confused due to recent application updates, removals, etc that I am unable to verify as I do not yet own an iPad. This thread has devolved several times into a war of opinions and I would like to bring it back on track.. Some answers to the following questions / statements would be appreciated, and if we may stick to the facts please that would be great:

- Comic Zeal is currently the only app categorized as a "comic book reader" available for purchase that reads CBR/CBZ files?
- Comic Zeal offers its own method of importing files [sync] in addition to importing files via iTunes (elaboration / differentiation on these two methods would be appreciated).
- The compression done by Comic Zeal results in a discernible drop in image quality?
- Comic Zeal has poor file-management implementation? (elaboration on its functional capabilities would be appreciated).

If you want to pay, then yes, at the moment cz4 is the only paid one. There are free ones.
Cz4 has it's legacy sync tool which is meant for the iPhone as it resize images to 1024px. However, the preferred method is to drag and drop filesin the pro with iTunes. It's faster.
If you use iTunestransfer no compression is done, however when you start the app after you've transferred files, the app will decompress all files and create coverthumbnails of each file.
I've found a bug where the itunes transfer becomes very slow after you've transferred more than 10GB of files.

jeffy777
Apr 21, 2010, 05:03 PM
For some, converting to PDF is not an option, as CBR/CBZ metadata is lost. I do not own an iPad so I do not know, but do PDF readers provide a way of categorizing / managing files into collections?

Yes, GoodReader allows you to create folders and organize your files (move, rename, etc).

pooryou
Apr 21, 2010, 05:05 PM
Thanks for answering my questions.

For some, converting to PDF is not an option, as CBR/CBZ metadata is lost. I do not own an iPad so I do not know, but do PDF readers provide a way of categorizing / managing files into collections? You chose not to answer any of my other questions but instead find one statement in my post and flame me for it? Thanks for the warm welcome.

First of all, I didn't flame you at all. Don't be oversensitive. I could have taken your comments about PDF being an off-topic argument as a flame towards me as well, couldn't I? However I did not.

Second, I have not used ComicZeal on the iPad, so my answering of those questions would be inappropriate.

Third, there is no metadata lost when converting CBZ/CBR to PDF, because there is no metadata in the first place. It's just a compressed folder of images. It might be possible to embed metadata, but no file I have ever seen has contained any. What metadata do you need anyway?

Fourth, yes as stated previously in the thread Goodreader has nice capabilities for organization. I'm sure other apps do as well.

Wimmachine
Apr 21, 2010, 05:07 PM
If you want to pay, then yes, at the moment cz4 is the only paid one. There are free ones.
Cz4 has it's legacy sync tool which is meant for the iPhone as it resize images to 1024px. However, the preferred method is to drag and drop filesin the pro with iTunes. It's faster.
If you use iTunestransfer no compression is done, however when you start the app after you've transferred files, the app will decompress all files and create coverthumbnails of each file.
I've found a bug where the itunes transfer becomes very slow after you've transferred more than 10GB of files.

Thanks for the informative reply. I have a few other questions:
- How does CZ handle 2-page layouts?
- Are the free apps (I do not know of any specifically) contenders in this category? i.e. do they offer comparable functionality to the paid apps or are they somehow limited and thus written off as "junk free apps'? I am not aware of any free apps for reading CBR/CBZ so elaboration would be appreciated (I do not have access to iTunes atm).

jodorowsky00
Apr 21, 2010, 05:07 PM

There 4 comic book reader, just type comic in search

Meeeep: elegant Ui I think it's the one that feel the most different, in some ways it makes you read differently, problem is it only reads, zip and jpegs, pngs.

Price : Free

ComicPad / ComicRad : reads most formats but you can get comics only by download them from the app no way to sync with iTunes yet. ComicRad has been summited to Apple and includes syncing but hasn't been approved yet. we have to wait.

Price : Free

Comic Zeal: First version for the iPad was bad, since then transfers are much better, and I think they have fix there resolution problem, with every update it gets better. In my opinion there UI is to chunky.

Price : 7 bucks

Clould Readers: Simple UI, reads all formats, currently it chokes on huge jpegs at times, 1.4 will fix that issue. With on volume of Beserk I experienced page problems, but must have been the comic since all the others work fine.

Price :Free

Comic Reader Mobi : Banned
It was a good reader, had a feature to just expand text that's useful in comics with tones of text, was fast to turn paged forward but slow to go back a page.
Developer says he wanted to implement a method to stream comics.

Price was 15/ 9.99

jodorowsky00
Apr 21, 2010, 05:09 PM
First of all, I didn't flame you at all. Don't be oversensitive. I could have taken your comments about PDF being an off-topic argument as a flame towards me as well, couldn't I? However I did not.

Second, I have not used ComicZeal on the iPad, so my answering of those questions would be inappropriate.

Third, there is no metadata lost when converting CBZ/CBR to PDF, because there is no metadata in the first place. It's just a compressed folder of images. It might be possible to embed metadata, but no file I have ever seen has contained any. What metadata do you need anyway?

Fourth, yes as stated previously in the thread Goodreader has nice capabilities for organization. I'm sure other apps do as well.

Lost of Marvel and DC comics I downloaded included meta data and tags.

pooryou
Apr 21, 2010, 05:13 PM

What is contained in them and how do the apps mentioned in this thread actually use the data (if at all)?
I assume it is an XML file in the folder?

PDFs can also contain metadata, wouldn't surprise me if Jomic carried it over.

Wimmachine
Apr 21, 2010, 05:14 PM

Yes. Series name, issue number, total issues in series, publisher, date, etc. Similar to MP3 ID3 tags. Thanks for your post above jodorowsky00 -- very informative.

pooryou
Apr 21, 2010, 05:20 PM
Yes. Series name, issue number, total issues in series, publisher, date, etc. Similar to MP3 ID3 tags. Thanks for your post above jodorowsky00 -- very informative.

If you organize the comics and can see the covers, it provides most of that.

I have not heard of any of the actual apps using the data anyway, though I wouldn't mind being proven wrong.
At least in Goodreader I can organize the files and even do a search for them.

Dorv
Apr 21, 2010, 10:42 PM
I don't know what this means.

@mikecase is my new hero.

Dorv
Apr 21, 2010, 10:47 PM

I don't know if it's metadata technically, but I'm pretty sure there's some type of data thats carried, though it could just be a scraping of the file name. Comic Zeal organizes items into groups automatically if they're formatted correctly.

1appleAday
Apr 21, 2010, 11:50 PM

OK sorry I got distracted last night, so didn't get the chance to play with it until now.

good things about Cloud Reader: fast and smooth page turning. can change reading direction with a simple button (the manga i'm reading goes from right to left). free and it supports zip.

bad things: i added a bunch of rar files in iTunes but Cloud Reader can't read them (more on this later), so i deleted them in iTunes, but the files remain in my bookshelf. so i have to delete them manually in Cloud Reader. Very annoying!

So the reason why the rar files won't read is because there is a folder inside the rar container (i.e. the person who did this put the jpeg into a folder, and rar the folder), and apparently Cloud Reader doesn't like it. I did a test and extract the rar file, and zip only the folder that contains the jpeg, and it reads fine. however i put the same "problematic" rar file under CRM and it handles it just fine, so CRM is more robust in that regard.

overall Cloud Reader has potential, but i hope the dev can fix the two bad things in the future release soon.

Daremo
Apr 22, 2010, 12:49 AM
For what it's worth...

I purchased Comic Zeal and Comic Reader Mobi on day one. After trying them both, I hated Comic Zeal. THe slow uploads, the compression... Didn't like it, and deleted it from my iPad. I loved Comic Reader Mobi. After reading today about CRM basically being banned for at least a year, and no upgrades and so on, I decided to give Comic Zeal another try. This time, I LOVED it. The updates make this fantastic. Actually, I like this much more then CRM. I did like the text window zoom feature, but I can live without it.

For those like me who were on the side of CRM, I HIGHLY recommend you try Comic Zeal now with the updates.

jodorowsky00
Apr 22, 2010, 04:29 AM
OK sorry I got distracted last night, so didn't get the chance to play with it until now.

good things about Cloud Reader: fast and smooth page turning. can change reading direction with a simple button (the manga i'm reading goes from right to left). free and it supports zip.

bad things: i added a bunch of rar files in iTunes but Cloud Reader can't read them (more on this later), so i deleted them in iTunes, but the files remain in my bookshelf. so i have to delete them manually in Cloud Reader. Very annoying!

So the reason why the rar files won't read is because there is a folder inside the rar container (i.e. the person who did this put the jpeg into a folder, and rar the folder), and apparently Cloud Reader doesn't like it. I did a test and extract the rar file, and zip only the folder that contains the jpeg, and it reads fine. however i put the same "problematic" rar file under CRM and it handles it just fine, so CRM is more robust in that regard.

overall Cloud Reader has potential, but i hope the dev can fix the two bad things in the future release soon.

Yeah .rar was just supported so there might be bugs with it. did it just not read it or did it crash?
I still havent tried all my .rar's i will check on that.

spammerhamster
Apr 22, 2010, 04:57 AM

This is weird, as a lot of CBR/Z-files has a directory structure in it. Esp. manga-volumes.

(what's even worse would be a rar-file containing multiple rarfiles)

1appleAday
Apr 22, 2010, 12:55 PM
Yeah .rar was just supported so there might be bugs with it. did it just not read it or did it crash?
I still havent tried all my .rar's i will check on that.

It didn't crash. it just shows nothing.

For what it's worth...

I purchased Comic Zeal and Comic Reader Mobi on day one. After trying them both, I hated Comic Zeal. THe slow uploads, the compression... Didn't like it, and deleted it from my iPad. I loved Comic Reader Mobi. After reading today about CRM basically being banned for at least a year, and no upgrades and so on, I decided to give Comic Zeal another try. This time, I LOVED it. The updates make this fantastic. Actually, I like this much more then CRM. I did like the text window zoom feature, but I can live without it.

For those like me who were on the side of CRM, I HIGHLY recommend you try Comic Zeal now with the updates.

Does Comic Zeal support zip and rar formats??

-iKris-
Apr 22, 2010, 02:41 PM
Is there an easy way to organise comics into folders in Comic Zeal? You can't just upload a folder, so what is the way people are doing this?

GraphicsGeek
Apr 22, 2010, 03:01 PM
Is there an easy way to organise comics into folders in Comic Zeal? You can't just upload a folder, so what is the way people are doing this?

Comic Zeal automatically organizes them into "collections." So if they are labeled similarly, then they should organize themselves.

spammerhamster
Apr 22, 2010, 03:59 PM

When the auto sort doesn't work because the file doesn't end with a number, I'll just hit edit, select the files I want to be set into one collection, then just move the files. You can select an existing folder or you can scroll down, select other and create a new folder

spammerhamster
Apr 22, 2010, 03:59 PM
It didn't crash. it just shows nothing.

Does Comic Zeal support zip and rar formats??

Yes

1appleAday
Apr 22, 2010, 04:29 PM
Yes

cool! Do you know if it can handle a folder within a zip / rar? just want to make sure before i shell out the money again! :)

Jarmel
Apr 22, 2010, 06:12 PM
I have a bunch of mangas in jpeg and the like. Should I go for GoodReader or CZ?

jodorowsky00
Apr 22, 2010, 08:44 PM
I have a bunch of mangas in jpeg and the like. Should I go for GoodReader or CZ?

For comics there's,

CZ and Cloud Readers

CZ is 8 bucks and Cloud Readers is FREE

I recommend you try Cloud Readers first, if you need more options buy CZ

Viper2005
Apr 22, 2010, 09:19 PM

Yes the bug is very annoying, BUT there is a way to get around it.. The key is to drag and drop then navigate away from the app screen ( ie go to the music area or even the iTunes store).. Then the rest of the files transfers over like lightning.

pooryou
Apr 22, 2010, 09:23 PM

No reason not to get Goodreader, it's only 99 cents and it is packed full of features, and has a great UI. You can try it and see how it works for you, and even if you decide to get another app for comics it will still be worth having.

Dorv
Apr 22, 2010, 11:23 PM
It's simple enough to convert one or two comics and compare them in a few apps, and there are plenty of free and extremely cheap options..

See, this is where I get lost. If you (we, anyone) are acquiring the material in one format, then you have to go through the effort of converting. I know you stated your reasons in the thread earlier, but I think I lost it in the shuffle.

I mean, I'm with you on the whole "to each his own" mentality, I'm just trying to understand yours better.

I love CZ ... Haven't tried anything else, but I don't really feel like I'm missing anything in the experience. I don't think I'd want to make it harder.

Dorv
Apr 22, 2010, 11:31 PM
Comic Zeal automatically organizes them into "collections." So if they are labeled similarly, then they should organize themselves.

Are there resources somewhere that clarify the scrapping process? I've got some collections (named similarly) that didn't sort right, and I'd like to fix that.

jodorowsky00
Apr 22, 2010, 11:36 PM
No reason not to get Goodreader, it's only 99 cents and it is packed full of features, and has a great UI. You can try it and see how it works for you, and even if you decide to get another app for comics it will still be worth having.

One thing that might make me go PDF is if goodreader can stream PDFs from the computer to the iPad is that possible?
Don't download them but stream.

spammerhamster
Apr 23, 2010, 02:46 AM
Yes the bug is very annoying, BUT there is a way to get around it.. The key is to drag and drop then navigate away from the app screen ( ie go to the music area or even the iTunes store).. Then the rest of the files transfers over like lightning.

Great tip!! It works!! Now I can redo my collection as I needed to reinstall my computer anyway

aduteau
Apr 23, 2010, 08:16 AM
anyone has an idea of when ComicBook lover app is coming out for the iPad ?

Juventuz
Apr 23, 2010, 09:31 AM

I wish soon, I'm currently using their iPhone app (which is free) and have no problems reading the comics in full screen mode. When you transfer them over just make sure that the compress box is NOT checked. If you have it checked it's optimized for the iPhone screen so looks like crap when it's full screen on the iPad.

Once I'm done reading the comic I delete it from my iPad so for now the CBL app works just fine for me.

jeffy777
Apr 23, 2010, 11:41 AM

I'm also using GoodReader for my comics.

I tried Cloud Readers, but went back to GoodReader because I like being able to make my own folders and organize everything, plus I just like the UI of GoodReader.

I'm using Comic Rack to convert my comics to PDF. Works great and it's free.

spammerhamster
Apr 23, 2010, 11:50 AM
cool! Do you know if it can handle a folder within a zip / rar? just want to make sure before i shell out the money again! :)

It can, but it can't handle multiple folders well. If say you have a file witH ch01/01.Jpg and ch02/01.jpg then it gets confused. It'll sort by filename, neglecting the folder name.

pooryou
Apr 23, 2010, 06:09 PM
One thing that might make me go PDF is if goodreader can stream PDFs from the computer to the iPad is that possible?
Don't download them but stream.

As far as I know you have to download them. That's a great idea though.

That would be a good thing to request from the Goodreader dev, along with CBZ/CBR support, which I would imagine would be pretty easy to add.

EDIT: I wrote the Goodreader dev about CBZ/CBR and they replied right away:
"We're considering a possibility to support CBR/CBZ files."
I'll let someone else ask about streaming from a server, didn't want to push my luck ;)

pooryou
Apr 23, 2010, 06:11 PM
See, this is where I get lost. If you (we, anyone) are acquiring the material in one format, then you have to go through the effort of converting. I know you stated your reasons in the thread earlier, but I think I lost it in the shuffle.

I mean, I'm with you on the whole "to each his own" mentality, I'm just trying to understand yours better.

I love CZ ... Haven't tried anything else, but I don't really feel like I'm missing anything in the experience. I don't think I'd want to make it harder.

Yeah, I totally hear that. If I hadn't found a process for converting that (for me) is very painless I wouldn't want to do it. In this app Jomic (http://jomic.sourceforge.net/) though, you can add a whole list of files all at once and just set it to convert and you don't have to do anything else, so it hasn't really been a problem for me. I can understand not wanting to do it though; I say if you are happy with CZ then no reason to change.

I already bought Comic Zeal on the iPhone, which I never really ended up using because I just didn't enjoy reading on such a small screen. That makes me kind of hesitant to buy it over again for the iPad, though I don't blame the dev for that. If the iPad version ever goes on sale I'm sure I will snap it up.

jodorowsky00
Apr 27, 2010, 03:14 PM
ComicRad is now out on the iTunes store.
Cloud Readers 1.4 update is out also.
From I can see from the update of Cloud Readers no more problems with large images and no more problems with .rar. Tested it on the comics I had problems with.

Update : Cloud Readers 1.4 now has brightness controls.

Also Cloud Readers 1.5 is done creator was waiting for 1.4 to be approved.

timdafweak
Apr 27, 2010, 03:41 PM
Cool, would be neat to have a brightness control in the Cloud Reader app.

I really wish they'd implement collections/folders so that I can organize my collection better. I have hundreds of comics I'd like to copy over to the iPad, but the CR interface isn't conducive to maintaining the same.

Does anyone know whether Comic Zeal has any organization or collection sorting feature? A screenie would be great too.

1appleAday
Apr 27, 2010, 03:49 PM
ComicRad is now out on the iTunes store.
Cloud Readers 1.4 update is out also.
From I can see from the update of Cloud Readers no more problems with large images and no more problems with .rar. Tested it on the comics I had problems with.

that's good news. I will give it a try this evening and report back!

jodorowsky00
Apr 27, 2010, 04:34 PM
Cool, would be neat to have a brightness control in the Cloud Reader app.

I really wish they'd implement collections/folders so that I can organize my collection better. I have hundreds of comics I'd like to copy over to the iPad, but the CR interface isn't conducive to maintaining the same.

Does anyone know whether Comic Zeal has any organization or collection sorting feature? A screenie would be great too.

Well dude you got it, I taped on the comic, saw a brightness icon! Hell yeah I been asking for that for a long time.

Roy Hobbs
Apr 28, 2010, 10:12 AM

Last time I heard from the devleoper he told me 4-6 weeks after he got his hands on an iPad.

pooryou
Apr 28, 2010, 08:55 PM
Tried Cloud Readers again (latest version) with some random comics I downloaded and it still doesn't even get the page order correct on many of them...which makes them impossible to read. It also makes pages the wrong aspect ratio by showing the edges of the other pages, for no apparent reason, and this keeps you from being able to zoom in as much as you could. I think I'm just going to delete it.

jodorowsky00
Apr 28, 2010, 09:07 PM
Tried Cloud Readers again (latest version) with some random comics I downloaded and it still doesn't even get the page order correct on many of them...which makes them impossible to read. It also makes pages the wrong aspect ratio by showing the edges of the other pages, for no apparent reason, and this keeps you from being able to zoom in as much as you could. I think I'm just going to delete it.

It does not make pages the wrong aspect ratio, comics pages are like that so to fit it in a more squarish screen there will be space left on the right or left side, what cloud readers does is instead of seeing a black space he puts the next comic page. Version 1.5 will be centered with black space , just in case you want it so much.
if you double tap on the comic the aspect ratio becomes like in comic reader mobi and you wont see the space but you will have to flick your finger to see the bottom part, because comics book pages are rectangular.

pooryou
Apr 29, 2010, 12:11 AM
Come on now, I know what aspect ratio comic pages are supposed to be :p

The biggest problem is the pages being out of order, and the UI is terrible.

jodorowsky00
Apr 29, 2010, 12:18 AM

on some comics it does not arrange the images like it should, i dont think thats so much the readers problem as is the actual files problem.
ui is simple i wouldn't say horrible.

pooryou
Apr 29, 2010, 02:42 AM
on some comics it does not arrange the images like it should, i dont think thats so much the readers problem as is the actual files problem.
ui is simple i wouldn't say horrible.

LOL of course it's the files, that's why they work in other readers.
You don't have to keep defending the app, there is no question the UI is bad.

MikeCase
Apr 29, 2010, 06:36 AM
Yeah I agree, the UI is horrendous. What is the reason does it show part of the previous AND next page?

I've made the switch from Comic Reader Mobi to Comic Zeal. I miss the text zoom of CRM but I like how much nicer CZ looks. I've had a lot of crashing with CZ though.

exposition
Apr 29, 2010, 06:45 PM
I tried Cloud Readers and while it was fast, I had the same problem with pages out of order. The files read fine using Simple Comic on OS X, CDisplay on Windows, and even Comic Reader Mobi and Comic Zeal.

I like the appearance of Comic Zeal, but the interface annoys me. Leaving the controller on-screen hides a strip on the top of the comic unless you scroll down. Hiding the controller means you have to swipe to turn. I much prefer the tap to turn page mechanic of Comic Reader Mobi. I was lucky enough to get that one before the developer broke the rules, and I'm sticking with it for now.

jodorowsky00
Apr 29, 2010, 06:59 PM
I tried Cloud Readers and while it was fast, I had the same problem with pages out of order. The files read fine using Simple Comic on OS X, CDisplay on Windows, and even Comic Reader Mobi and Comic Zeal.

I like the appearance of Comic Zeal, but the interface annoys me. Leaving the controller on-screen hides a strip on the top of the comic unless you scroll down. Hiding the controller means you have to swipe to turn. I much prefer the tap to turn page mechanic of Comic Reader Mobi. I was lucky enough to get that one before the developer broke the rules, and I'm sticking with it for now.

i have comic reader mobi i dont think i was lucky , we got a beta version. search doesnt work, no time line, no brightness adjustment, going to the previous page is dead slow, i even got a low on memory. problem is all that could have been fix but it will never be.

I think brightness adjustment is crucial at night if you dont want to get blind.

gwynne
Apr 29, 2010, 07:00 PM

For what it's worth, you can double-tap the lower right corner to page turn when in fullscreen mode in CZ.

exposition
Apr 29, 2010, 07:43 PM
For what it's worth, you can double-tap the lower right corner to page turn when in fullscreen mode in CZ.

That's worth a lot, actually! Thanks for the tip!

jeffy777
Apr 29, 2010, 07:44 PM
i have comic reader mobi i dont think i was lucky , we got a beta version. search doesnt work, no time line, no brightness adjustment, going to the previous page is dead slow, i even got a low on memory. problem is all that could have been fix but it will never be.

I think brightness adjustment is crucial at night if you dont want to get blind.

Weren't you the guy who used to swear that Comic Reader Mobi was awesome? Sorry, but it just seems kinda funny to hear you talk this way about it now, after being so passionate about it before :)

jodorowsky00
Apr 29, 2010, 07:59 PM
Weren't you the guy who used to swear that Comic Reader Mobi was awesome? Sorry, but it just seems kinda funny to hear you talk this way about it now, after being so passionate about it before :)

I loved Comic reader mobi since day one, the potential was huge. But with no more updates and since im not a fan boy i know its dead.
Comic Reader Mobi was way better than CZ 1.0 for ipad. As soon as CZ upgraded to cbz and cbr instead of there cbm format the comic reader mobi's advantage became smaller.
Now one month later, i see free applications like cloud readers, meeeeep and comicrad having many advantages over it. Im not a fan boy if something new comes out thats better i take it.if tomorrow comicbooklover comes out and is fantastic i will be talking in this thread how bad ass at it is.

jodorowsky00
Apr 30, 2010, 05:40 AM

Hey pooryou Cloud Readers 1.05 to apple and it fixes page order and centering page in portrait mode. Happy now!

Swampthing
Apr 30, 2010, 06:53 AM
I wish I could find a support/general discussion forum for COMIC ZEAL 4. Can't seem to find anything on Biolitic's website. Last time I used COMIC ZEAL, I had to convert the comics, but my understanding now is that is unnecessary. Is that correct? Has image quality improved over the iPhone version?

Critical Hippo
Apr 30, 2010, 08:30 AM
I wish I could find a support/general discussion forum for COMIC ZEAL 4. Can't seem to find anything on Biolitic's website. Last time I used COMIC ZEAL, I had to convert the comics, but my understanding now is that is unnecessary. Is that correct? Has image quality improved over the iPhone version?

That is correct. You can now use iTunes to add comics to the program. It still takes 2-3 seconds to "process" each comic you add this way, but that processing does not include image resizing/downsampling. It is for indexing purposes. The program now displays images at the resolution as they exist within the .cbr/cbz/ (.rar/.zip) file, so the image quality depends on the size of the image, not the program.

At the moment, Comic Zeal is still the best comics reader in the App Store. That's not the same as saying that it is a great reader; it's just the least worst. I still have issues with its sorting features (existent, but in need of tweaking) and its user interface. Here's hoping some competition comes along to spur improvements.

gwynne
Apr 30, 2010, 08:38 AM
In addition to the less than amazing UI, I'd really like it if CZ would function like an eBook reader and keep my current comic/page open for the next use.

Presumably whoever is behind CZ has got to be making bank, esp. now that CRM tanked, so hopefully that will motivate them to push out some good updates.

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I'm still using CZ's stand-alone sync utility due to the ability to drop a big chunk of files in at once and use the rename function to put them all in the same collection. Is there any other easy way to make that happen?

MikeCase
Apr 30, 2010, 08:40 AM
Presumably whoever is behind CZ has got to be making bank, esp. now that CRM tanked, so hopefully that will motivate them to push out some good updates.

I'm worried of the opposite. Since there is no real competition, they have no real reason to push out great features :(

spammerhamster
Apr 30, 2010, 10:49 AM

Unfortunately, cz4 doesn't have a support forum. The only way to get feedback is thorugh Twitter.

Anyway, you don't need sync anymore. Just drop the files into cz4 through iTunes.

jodorowsky00
Apr 30, 2010, 04:31 PM
In addition to the less than amazing UI, I'd really like it if CZ would function like an eBook reader and keep my current comic/page open for the next use.

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I'm still using CZ's stand-alone sync utility due to the ability to drop a big chunk of files in at once and use the rename function to put them all in the same collection. Is there any other easy way to make that happen?

So your saying by no competition they will make better products, Wow just Wow

jodorowsky00
Apr 30, 2010, 04:32 PM

Dude be a man! Buy the app and start a forum, get to know the programer and help people instead of helping yourself.

MikeCase
Apr 30, 2010, 05:14 PM
Dude be a man! Buy the app and start a forum, get to know the programer and help people instead of helping yourself.

Yes, only real men would do all of that work.

All of a sudden my man parts fell off because I haven't gotten to know the developer and spent all my time helping other people with an app I bought rather than using the app I bought for my own enjoyment.

Can someone direct me to where I need to turn in my man card?

On a comic related note, CZ has been crashing an awful lot for me. A couple of my comics will crash on every page turn. Even just rotating it will crash.

Anyone else having this problem?

jodorowsky00
Apr 30, 2010, 05:18 PM
Yes, only real men would do all of that work.

All of a sudden my man parts fell off because I haven't gotten to know the developer and spent all my time helping other people with an app I bought rather than using the app I bought for my own enjoyment.

Can someone direct me to where I need to turn in my man card?

On a comic related note, CZ has been crashing an awful lot for me. A couple of my comics will crash on every page turn. Even just rotating it will crash.

Anyone else having this problem?

Sorry been reading Kick Ass, the part where he wants to die getting punched.

I though people would get it, guess not.

ps: Try deleting it and reinstalling it.
Works for most programs.

MikeCase
Apr 30, 2010, 05:22 PM
Ah I was afraid I would have to reinstall. I've already transferred and processed about 8GBs. I've noticed that transferring over 300 chapters individually zipped is dial-up slow.

Thanks for the tip!