PDA

View Full Version : Brushes vs. Sketchbook

bpd115
Apr 1, 2010, 09:21 PM
Pros and Cons?

The artwork done with Brushes seems a little water color like while the Sketchbook art seems more....fine point like....

I just got my pogo sketch in the mail and sketchbook is $2 bucks cheaper....

alia
Apr 1, 2010, 09:36 PM
I have both on my iphone, and I do think it's easier to create pencil-looking sketches with sketchbook. I downloaded sketchbook pro for ipad for now, but I might add brushes after the 3Gs ship. I kind of like the interface for sketchbook more too, but I think that Brushes has some different features that are better, such as as the ability to put a photo as one of the layers.

Nausicaa
Apr 1, 2010, 10:14 PM
Based on the iPhone versions, I prefer Brushes. It has a stronger interface and better workflow in my opinion, and it's much faster and fluid to work with.
Sketchbook has the great line taper effect though, which makes it a good tool for line drawing, and you can make great sketches with brushes available. Easy to do shading. It also has a higher resolution canvas (although they are same on iPad). However, Brushes also has the (Mac only) Brushes Viewer, which allows you to export your art to 6X resolution. Great for prints of your work.

Basically I think they're both outstanding apps, and can be bought together for under $20, and that's what anyone interested should probably do. Although it is hard to really say since no one has used these apps or even used a stylus with the iPad yet.

lotusindigo
Apr 1, 2010, 10:26 PM
I'm on board with Sketchbook Pro, though if I hear a glut of rave reviews for Brushes I will have to check it out as well. I've long been a fan of Sketchbook Pro for Mac, and my personal opinion is that Autodesk will know what to do with the large space of the iPad better than the developers of tiny iPhone art apps will. Which app comes out on top remains to be seen, and I can't wait to try them!

macduke
Apr 1, 2010, 11:45 PM
Sketchbook Pro definitely. I'm an art student, and between the two on the iPhone, Sketchbook kicks Brushes. It's easier to use, has more features, and looks more professional (both the app & the result).

Nausicaa
Apr 2, 2010, 11:49 AM
I just learned that Brushes supports all viewing orientations.

Bodhi395
Apr 6, 2010, 10:57 AM
So, since people have had a chance to actually use both apps on the iPad, anyone have any opinions on which is better?

I'm looking to buy one, but just can't decide.

Timothy
Apr 6, 2010, 11:06 AM
Hell…in the scheme of things, they are both so relatively inexpensive that I just bought both. Seems to me they have slightly different if overlapping strengths.

bpd115
Apr 6, 2010, 12:01 PM
I went with sketchbook for now.

Anyone use both? (Maybe line drawing in sketchbook and then painting or inking in brushes)

master-ceo
Apr 7, 2010, 05:37 PM
sketchbook is an amazing app. this brings the value of the ipad way up.

I remember students saying they wanted to take notes, well this is it.

Fazzl
Apr 11, 2010, 02:12 AM
Can anyone expand on this? I just want a good app to have fun with when I'm bored and stuff. I'm not an art student or a pro or anything.

pooryou
Apr 11, 2010, 04:08 AM
Why no mention of ArtStudio? Looks pretty good and is only $1.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/artstudio-for-ipad/id364017607?mt=8

Dr Gonzo
Apr 11, 2010, 04:36 AM
Sketchbook Pro + Pogo Sketch.

MazaGRANDEman
May 3, 2010, 06:30 PM
How is the new "speed-based pressure simulation" in Brushes they added in the last update? Does Sketchbook Pro have anything similar to it?

I'm getting my iPad in couple of days and I'm still trying to decide which app to get. The pressure simulation could be the deciding factor for me to go with Brushes, but what I've heard Sketchbook Pro has more features etc. that could prove useful to me.

iRabbit
May 3, 2010, 09:51 PM
I just bought ArtStudio ($.99) and it really does well with the simulated pressure sensitivity. I did find the program a little laggy though. But definitely worth the $.99!

You can see a drawing done with each here:
www.dangrabbit.com/photography/drawings

Monster was done with ArtStudio and Ninja was done with Sketchbook Pro. Mind you, I've only been using these programs for 3 days and I haven't drawn in years so cut me some slack ;)

I also have Layers but I haven't tried that one out yet.

LinMac
May 3, 2010, 10:11 PM
I'll second the vote for ArtStudio. The application is only $0.99 for now and is a tremendous bargain at that price. :D

p-rice
May 3, 2010, 10:14 PM
Sketchbook pro hands down. Brushes feels really incomplete compared to SBP.

Nausicaa
May 3, 2010, 10:51 PM
How is the new "speed-based pressure simulation" in Brushes they added in the last update? Does Sketchbook Pro have anything similar to it?

I'm getting my iPad in couple of days and I'm still trying to decide which app to get. The pressure simulation could be the deciding factor for me to go with Brushes, but what I've heard Sketchbook Pro has more features etc. that could prove useful to me.

The simulated pressure in Brushes disappointed me. If you've used penultimate, it functions more like that, with the stroke beginning and ending think, and narrowing towards the middle. This is the opposite of Sketchbook, where lines are thinned out towards the ends, which is more realistic for an art app, while Penultimate-style is better suited for pen-like hand writing. I imagine the developer will hear this feedback and change it.

That said, I still prefer Brushes over all the other art apps I've used. The interface is far superior, as are the Brushes and performance. However, Sketchbook for the moment is still much better for creating line art.

Lalror
Jan 20, 2011, 09:23 PM
For me I use brushes for my more realistic painting while using adobe ideas for my more line-art/vector-drawing. I think the interface for Brushes is better but to tell you the truth every one of the quality drawing apps has its own pros and cons.