Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jgmacrum

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
Hi there ...

I could have sworn that I've seen adapters to do what I'm picturing, but now I'm drawing a blank. I'm thinking of getting a mac mini, and would like to hook it up to A/V system via HDMI. Obviously the minis don't have HDMI, but I would think that there should be an adapter to go from either the minidisplayport or minidvi to HDMI. That's fine & dandy, but one reason I'd like the HDMI is for the sound to go straight in as well as opposed to connecting the video & audio separately.

Are there devices which can take both video & audio out from the mini and transpose it to a HDMI signal on the other end?

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
Hi there ...

I could have sworn that I've seen adapters to do what I'm picturing, but now I'm drawing a blank. I'm thinking of getting a mac mini, and would like to hook it up to A/V system via HDMI. Obviously the minis don't have HDMI, but I would think that there should be an adapter to go from either the minidisplayport or minidvi to HDMI. That's fine & dandy, but one reason I'd like the HDMI is for the sound to go straight in as well as opposed to connecting the video & audio separately.

Are there devices which can take both video & audio out from the mini and transpose it to a HDMI signal on the other end?

You'll need separate cables regardless, for some crazy reason Apple's (subjectively) crippled the video and audio out - the Mini DisplayPort/DVI connections are for video only, and even though you want to you cannot send both video and audio over HDMI using a Mac, you will have to connect another cable to the audio-out for sound.

jgmacrum

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
To be honest, too many years of overly loud music have ruined any hope of me ever being any sort of audiophile so that sorta thing doesn't bother me. I just want the audio combined w/ video for convenience sake.

jgmacrum

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
Ah good point. Do you have the monoprice adapter that you mentioned in your first post? If so, does it work well?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.