Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lyons238

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 21, 2010
Ok so I installed my new Hitachi 7k500. at first i did a fresh install but some things went wrong so i erased and reinstalled osx then copied my old drive onto this new one.

Now my hd temp doesnt show up in istat, how can i fix this? and it seems mdworker is spiking my cpu up to 60% in each core. actually now it dropped but is this normal?

also can anyone assist me in installing hdapm?

edit: please read further into this thread and maybe you can help me decide if i should stay with the hitachi or switch back to my seagate or possibly another type.

GfulDedFan

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2007
Indiana
MDWorker would have an increased activity level in your case because of all of the indexing (or re-indexing) of your files that's going on. It should subside soon if it hasn't already.

iStat and hdapm you'll have to continue to search because I don't use either. My drive is quiet and I'm not into monitoring or maintaining my computer. That's why I have a Mac... you don't have to.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Now my hd temp doesnt show up in istat, how can i fix this?
Do you have that option turned on in iStat Pro?
Picture 2.jpg

lyons238

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 21, 2010
ya i have hd temp on. i saw someone else with the same problem. any ideas? and the mdworker did subside.

lyons238

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 21, 2010
after a few days of having this hitachi 7k500 im not very pleased with it. my seagate 7200.4 was much quieter while doing daily tasks. also there is a noticeable drop in battery life with the hitachi compared to the seagate. the reason why i switched from the seagate was because my load cycle count was very high and i noticed a very faint clicking when booting up. but i think i might switch back to the seagate and use hmapd

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
after a few days of having this hitachi 7k500 im not very pleased with it. my seagate 7200.4 was much quieter while doing daily tasks. also there is a noticeable drop in battery life with the hitachi compared to the seagate. the reason why i switched from the seagate was because my load cycle count was very high and i noticed a very faint clicking when booting up. but i think i might switch back to the seagate and use hmapd

I'm curious what is quieter about the seagate? Is it the spinning noise or the clicking? The only thing I can hear with the 7k500 is the spinning noise, but there is virtually no clicking. When I sleep the computer, there is a slight sound when the heads park, but otherwise nothing.

lyons238

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 21, 2010
I'm curious what is quieter about the seagate? Is it the spinning noise or the clicking? The only thing I can hear with the 7k500 is the spinning noise, but there is virtually no clicking. When I sleep the computer, there is a slight sound when the heads park, but otherwise nothing.

the spinning noise is quieter with the seagate. for the most part i cant hear the seagate at all, with the hitachi i can hear it pretty much all the time, unless im in a noisy room. its like a wooshing sound at all times, not too noisy though.

as far as the clicking, i havent heard any clicking from the hitachi except when installing osx and i had to put my ear to the laptop, but it was less noticeable than the seagate. but to be honest my seagate clicking was a tiny tiny bit louder but it barely ever clicked. i imagine with hdapm it wouldnt click at all.

the only reason why im considering going back to the seagate is, this hitachi sucks my battery, where my seagate i didnt notice a difference from that to the stock 5400 hd. its a little disappointing. but im going to stick the hitachi out and see if it grows on me. and hopefully it wont suck a lot of battery like iv noticed.

also, can you view your hd temp? iv heard of a few people not being able to view the hd temp in istat with the 7k500.

maybe someone can help convince me to stick with the hitachi or to switch to the seagate, or i was possibly even thinking about the scorpio blue. anyone have this, and can vouch for fast speeds like a 7200 or close to?

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
the spinning noise is quieter with the seagate. for the most part i cant hear the seagate at all, with the hitachi i can hear it pretty much all the time, unless im in a noisy room. its like a wooshing sound at all times, not too noisy though. as far as the clicking, i havent heard any clicking from the hitachi except when installing osx and i had to put my ear to the laptop, but it was less noticeable than the seagate. but to be honest my seagate clicking was a tiny tiny bit louder but it barely ever clicked. i imagine with hdapm it wouldnt click at all.

the only reason why im considering going back to the seagate is, this hitachi sucks my battery, where my seagate i didnt notice a difference from that to the stock 5400 hd. its a little disappointing. but im going to stick the hitachi out and see if it grows on me. and hopefully it wont suck a lot of battery like iv noticed.

also, can you view your hd temp? iv heard of a few people not being able to view the hd temp in istat with the 7k500

Hmm, interesting. I think the hitachi is very quiet but of course I can hear it in a quiet room and I'd love to have a hdd that makes even less noise. I've been very happy with the hitachi though so I don't think I can be bothered to try the seagate even if it's slightly quieter.

Yes, I can see the hdd temp with istat pro. It's now 38C and it doesn't go past that. I really haven't noticed any difference in battery life, but I haven't done any scientific tests either. I *feel* that I get roughly the same battery life.

lyons238

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 21, 2010
Hmm, interesting. I think the hitachi is very quiet but of course I can hear it in a quiet room and I'd love to have a hdd that makes even less noise. I've been very happy with the hitachi though so I don't think I can be bothered to try the seagate even if it's slightly quieter.

Yes, I can see the hdd temp with istat pro. It's now 38C and it doesn't go past that. I really haven't noticed any difference in battery life, but I haven't done any scientific tests either. I *feel* that I get roughly the same battery life.

yeah like i said its not much louder but it is a little bit. i wonder what the problem could be in why my temp isnt coming up in istat :/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.