PDA

View Full Version : Weird noises from hard drive

ghostee
Sep 13, 2004, 09:32 PM
I have an iBook G4 800 that is about 6 months old. Up until now, it has ran perfectly fine. It has only left the house a few times, and was always in a padded case. It has never been dropped or even set down hard-like.

So yesterday, I moved my mouse to bring the display out of sleep, and clicked on Safari in the dock. It started to load, but the system then locked up. I rebooted the system, and it seemed to run just like normal.

Later on in the night, I woke the display and again the system froze. I attempted to reboot and got a gray screen with the blinking question mark / finder icon. I looked this up, and apparantly it means it can't find system files. I started to do some of Apple's troubleshooting steps, and noticed that as I went along, the hard drive started making very loud unusual noises. I could not get the system to boot up, except via CD. I booted off the Panther CD, and ran the Disk Utility. It did not detect my harddrive.

I figured that my baby had a bad hard drive in her, and planned on calling Apple to arrange for it to be fixed under Applecare. So today, I figure why not try and boot her up again, as I'm sure Apple will want me to do so during our phone call. The strangest thing, it boots fine with no hard drive noises AT ALL. I got into OSX, mounted a network drive and copied about 20gigs of music and other data I want to save. I left while it was copying, and came back to find it done (although the network drive did disconnect, parents probably rebooted the Windows box). Loaded up Safari and iTunes, and have been using it with no problem.

So, am I to assume that there is an intermittent hard drive problem? I don't want to send this to Apple and have them not be able to reproduce the problem. 'Nor do I want to keep using it only to have it break completely at the worst possible time (I could deal with losing it for a bit right now).

Anyone have any advice on what I should do? Are there any good utils to give the hard drive a good test and workout and see if the problem persists? Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks,

Tony.

jeremy.king
Sep 13, 2004, 09:38 PM
Ahhhhh... The click of death.

Backup and replace the HD. Seems you got the backup done, so consider yourself lucky.

grapes911
Sep 13, 2004, 09:44 PM
I agree, the HD is probably almost done. Call apple and tell 'em what you heard. They may replace it now. Worse case is make backups often, you never know when it may go.