Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macridah

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2004
Nor-Cal
Firefox 1.0 RC is pretty cool. There is a lot of new features added since 0.9.3. Firefox as live bookmarks, the address bar changes color when you visit a https site, the find (using /) now has a mini gui on the bottom.

I really like it. I hope safari engineers are looking at this to make sure they don't get out done.

Definitely worth the download or upgrade.

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
will warn you that a lot of the extention from the 0.9.x line will not work on it. Also some of the themes dont work. It still has some stuff that needs to get fixed but it steal in the beta phase since it just a RC verson of 1.0

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Both Firefox and Thunderbird seem improved. If I can confirm that the plug-in problems are gone, I'll switch back to Firefox.

cujo91999

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2004
why would you use firefox over camino (assuming a mac here)? personally, i think the camino look & feel is more mac like, but aside from that what makes firefox any different?

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
cujo91999 said:
why would you use firefox over camino (assuming a mac here)? personally, i think the camino look & feel is more mac like, but aside from that what makes firefox any different?

I switched to Firefox as soon as Panther arrived because Camino version 0.7 did not display text correctly any longer. Overall, Firefox gets the more and more interesting updates since it is used by a wider audience.

Considering that a browser usually displays a variety of web pages, each with their own look and feel, I don't care a lot how the browsers buttons look, as long as things are organised well, I'm happy.

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
stcanard said:
The big question for me:

Does it support middle-click yet?

If so I'll happily switch from Camino.

it does providing you get an extention for it. The power of firefox comes in the extention you can add on and consomiztion you can do. The extention is in Mouse gestuers just it has not been updated to be compible to 1.0 yet. Currently 1.0 broke a lot of extentions.

Otherwise get 0.9.3 and get the right extention for it and you got it

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
stcanard said:
The big question for me:

Does it support middle-click yet?

If so I'll happily switch from Camino.
The real add-insult-to-injury here is that middle-click has always opened up new tabs on the Windows and Linux ports of Mozilla and Firefox. But for some reason, it doesn't on the Mac port.

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
shamino said:
The real add-insult-to-injury here is that middle-click has always opened up new tabs on the Windows and Linux ports of Mozilla and Firefox. But for some reason, it doesn't on the Mac port.

My research led me to believe it's a limitation of XUL on OSX. For now I guess I will stick to Camino, it's tracking the gecko releases pretty well.

sjk

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Eugene
I don't like Firefox on a Mac. :p

Some enterprising developer might consider adding System Services support, like a few other Carbon apps have.

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
Re: Center-click in Firefox

stcanard said:
My research led me to believe it's a limitation of XUL on OSX.
FWIW, this issue is Bug 151249 in their bug database.

Based on the discussion, it appears that the original Mozilla code was using the old MacOS event manager, which only supports one mouse button. They never updated it to the new Carbon mechanism, which supports up to 64K mouse buttons - hence the bug. (Right-click worked because they were faking a CTRL-click event.)

Anyway, it would appear that someone finally updated at least some of that code to use the newer Carbon API, and that a patch was developed. But since they haven't closed the bug yet, I would assume it hasn't made its way into any releases yet.

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
shamino said:
Anyway, it would appear that someone finally updated at least some of that code to use the newer Carbon API, and that a patch was developed. But since they haven't closed the bug yet, I would assume it hasn't made its way into any releases yet.

Hmm, now that is an interesting read on how something can get completely lost in the paperwork. A patch has existed for 4 months, but nobody figured out how to notify the people that could include it.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
stcanard said:
Hmm, now that is an interesting read on how something can get completely lost in the paperwork. A patch has existed for 4 months, but nobody figured out how to notify the people that could include it.

It's unfortunately quite normal with them. Certain bugs are re-introduced from time to time, too.

It's good to find that they're finally using Carbon Events. That would explain the sprightliness of the browser lately, and its lowered impact on the system.

Oh, and if you were wondering about hidden windows, I'm running both Firefox and Thunderbird, so I have two.

Attachments

• TwinMozillaWindows.jpg
    TwinMozillaWindows.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 306

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
we should have a poll sometime about which browser you use. I'm sure we've had them in the past but with the progress firefox has been making it would be interesting to see the differences. I'm using safari since it works fine for me and i don't find any noticeable speed difference than firefox, plus i like the look of it better. but if firefox does anything drastically cool i might switch and try it for awhile.

added: i checked out the new build. It looks good however i use tabs a lot and i like to close them with the little x in safari. is there any way to get that on firefox?

thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.