Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
Hi,
I just received my new MacBook Air...actually I've been running it for 5 days now. As I took it out of the box to immediately put it into its Speck Clear Case, I noticed a small dimple in the thing...bottom right corner area, about 4 inches from the side, and about 3 inches up. I could try to take a photo of it, I'm not sure you could see much.

Anyway, I'm wondering what could have caused it? Did anybody else ever receive one with a little dimple/dent in it? As far as I can tell, it looks like only the battery is underneath it...not sure what could have caused it. It looks like a lid when a screw is sticking up, only inverted. I bought this new from a reputable, Apple authorized dealer, and it was spotless in every other way, so it appears to be "original equipment," i.e, a feature and not a bug.

It does not seem to be affecting anything...I've run it continuously since I got it 5 days ago. Like I said, where it is located only has the battery underneath, as far as I can tell.

Any ideas/thoughts as to what the origin might be? (That is, anybody who is reading this forum and isn't reading all the iPad reaction?).

Nitrocide

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2005
Bristol, UK
Hi,
I just received my new MacBook Air...actually I've been running it for 5 days now. As I took it out of the box to immediately put it into its Speck Clear Case, I noticed a small dimple in the thing...bottom right corner area, about 4 inches from the side, and about 3 inches up. I could try to take a photo of it, I'm not sure you could see much.

Anyway, I'm wondering what could have caused it? Did anybody else ever receive one with a little dimple/dent in it? As far as I can tell, it looks like only the battery is underneath it...not sure what could have caused it. It looks like a lid when a screw is sticking up, only inverted. I bought this new from a reputable, Apple authorized dealer, and it was spotless in every other way, so it appears to be "original equipment," i.e, a feature and not a bug.

It does not seem to be affecting anything...I've run it continuously since I got it 5 days ago. Like I said, where it is located only has the battery underneath, as far as I can tell.

Any ideas/thoughts as to what the origin might be? (That is, anybody who is reading this forum and isn't reading all the iPad reaction?).

I guess it kind of depends on how it effects your whole experience on whether its worth kicking up a fuss about with Apple, which it may! Id say try and get some pics up if possible, perhaps shine a light in a direction that will pick up the dimple best?

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I would absolutely take it back and get a replacement. You paid a lot of money and deserve a perfect MBA. In addition, don't put it past Apple to void your warranty and say that you dropped it and broke it some way. That's why the best thing you can do when opening a new Mac, is do yourself a favor and closely inspect the whole thing. If you find anything, TAKE IT BACK. It may not matter in terms of where it's located and under a speck case, but it will matter if you get blamed for it.

Good luck.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Make SURE you report it to Apple IMMEDIATELY. They will, unfairly, void your warranty. I really did drop mine but that still SHOULDN'T void your warranty for unrelated issues (any more than a fender bender should void your engine warranty). Here's my dented Apple nightmare:

http://markuhde.blogspot.com/2010/04/letter-to-steve-jobs.html

Sorry to read your nightmare story. Those problems are so widely reported, and obvious that it probably comes down to the repair person as to whether Apple will replace them or not when there is damage they can blame it on instead. I have seen these stories many of times. If I were you, next time you go to an Apple Store, or go to town where one is, take your Mac in and ask again explaining that you know these issues are common. Be extremely nice and don't bring up case laws from 1975, as Apple knows the law better than you or I for certain (surely the tech from third-party company doesn't know what applies from a case law and what doesn't - he simply has Apple rules to follow or he could lose his "license/agreement" to do official Apple repair/support. At the end of the day, it's just not worth it to him to take a chance). There Apple official repair center may not take a chance, Apple has every reason to try to help you... they know the value of a lifetime customer and "The Apple Way." Apple just might surprise you if you give them another change and if the "Genius" doesn't help you ask for the manager... again being polite.

On to your email to Steve Jobs, I agree you were extremely accurate in pointing out the obvious and honest in explaining the damage, and I believe Steve should authorize not just a repair but send you a brand new Mac replacement. However, for an email to Steve Jobs to work, I believe it has to be extremely short... point out exactly what you want... and not criticize Apple nor bring up case law but rather your feelings. In addition, I wouldn't threaten not to buy Apple products again, because Steve is Apple shareholder number one... he obviously knows the value of a lifetime customer far better than you or I, as he built the whole damn company on customer loyalty and the incremental upgrade. So customers are willing to pay more because they know they will be treated well and get a good product. In addition, the incremental upgrade is used to get their customers back in the store ready for another great Apple experience even though they don't need a new Mac... they just want one. IE - lifetime value of a loyal customer who not only buys a new Mac more often than he/she needs to but also often just keeps the old one or donates it to a family member that couldn't afford one anyways (which leads to more sales later when the family member can afford one) leading to more sales and more loyal customers in the long run.

Getting back on track. If you stick with Apple, and I believe you should. Write Steve another email and apologize for what you said before... accept ownership of the problem and explain that you realized you dropped it yourself and it wasn't their fault. Explain that you are giving Apple "another chance" to gain your lifetime loyalty and thank him for listening to you and that you appreciate Apple. Remind him that you teach in school and advise all of your students that Apple products are simply the best value proposition available because they're amazing computers built by the world's best computer company and they just work. I wouldn't be surprised if at that time you not only received a reply but a gift card for your next Mac, perhaps a check reimbursing you the entire cost of your new Mac, or even just a new iPad. In the end, we get further in life by explaining how we appreciate someone for the great things they do for us, and we abandon people for only showing disappointment with them. Steve is only human at the end of every day, and he has to trust his employees handling of a computer with damage which you explained you dropped from "a few feet onto a hard surface." It's completely up to the repair tech to decide whether that damage caused the issue or not... it's extremely unfortunate, and Apple didn't do you any favors. However, you accepted and purchased an aluminum Mac knowing full well that they are extremely fragile. We all want the beautiful aluminum Mac over the plastic MB, but we pay the price for it knowing that it's pretty but not durable and a drop results in great damage to the aluminum thereby also often damaging the internal components.

However, I surely hope Steve replies to you and they send you a new Mac. Since you mentioned being a teacher, Steve should have some "extra" respect for you as the Apple way is to engrain into students heads that Macs are the best computers in the world that are simple to use, look beautiful and most importantly, "they just work." I wish you the best and hope your issues gets resolved quickly. I also hope that if it doesn't work out you give Apple another chance to honor their agreement for your loyalty as a potential lifetime customer. GOOD LUCK!

Maks

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2009
Make SURE you report it to Apple IMMEDIATELY. They will, unfairly, void your warranty. I really did drop mine but that still SHOULDN'T void your warranty for unrelated issues (any more than a fender bender should void your engine warranty). Here's my dented Apple nightmare:

http://markuhde.blogspot.com/2010/04/letter-to-steve-jobs.html
I don't want to derail this thread, but you are not at all comparing apples to apples...no pun intended. A fender bender on a 2,000 lb heavy duty mechanical vehicle is way different than dropping a 4 lb device that contains sensitive equipment. I agree with Scottsdale, bringing up old court cases isn't going to help you any more than a "if I don't get a response, I'll contact my lawyer" threat would get you. Nor is telling Steve Jobs that Apple is going to fail if they don't replace your laptop. Let's be honest, that's not going to happen and everyone knows it. I certainly understand your frustration, but the way you worded your email (including every other sentence featuring parenthesis like this) likely did more damage than good.

To the OP, if it bothers you, I'd take it to an Apple store and point it out and see if you can get a new replacement.

TxMacAddict

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2008
i'd def return it no question but who the heck buys a laptop for resale value?

lol

I don't buy my laptops for resale value but it definitely is nice being able to get .70 - .80 cents on the dollar when I sell my Macbook to buy the new model as oppsed to .20 - .30 if I buy a Dell or similar and I always get to have the latest 'Book.

The "Apple Tax" is a myth when you look at the overall cost of ownership after resale. :D

ABG

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2003
United Kingdom
My stock 13" MBP arrived pre-dented when I bought it last year. I'd ordered online from Apple, so went to the local Apple store ASAP to get it sorted. They told me it was nothing they could help with - I'd bought from Apple online so I needed to speak to them and not an Apple store. I was pretty cross - the store manager even suggested that I may want to consider buying from them and not online in the future in case this sort of problem happened again!

I called Apple up and was offered a swap, but it would take about a week to send back and wait for a new one, so I refused and was offered a £60 refund instead (which I took and used in part for a speck hardcase).

So - complain and get it swapped or get some money back. :)

lucasgladding

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2007
Waterloo, Ontario
My stock 13" MBP arrived pre-dented when I bought it last year. I'd ordered online from Apple, so went to the local Apple store ASAP to get it sorted. They told me it was nothing they could help with - I'd bought from Apple online so I needed to speak to them and not an Apple store. I was pretty cross - the store manager even suggested that I may want to consider buying from them and not online in the future in case this sort of problem happened again!

I called Apple up and was offered a swap, but it would take about a week to send back and wait for a new one, so I refused and was offered a £60 refund instead (which I took and used in part for a speck hardcase).

So - complain and get it swapped or get some money back. :)

Serious question, not trying to be difficult: was it an Apple Store, or an Apple authorized reseller? If an Apple Store, they were definitely being unreasonable. It it was a reseller, they really have nothing to do with your transaction (though it would have been in poor taste to suggest that it was your fault for buying online).

ABG

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2003
United Kingdom
Serious question, not trying to be difficult: was it an Apple Store, or an Apple authorized reseller? If an Apple Store, they were definitely being unreasonable. It it was a reseller, they really have nothing to do with your transaction (though it would have been in poor taste to suggest that it was your fault for buying online).

I bought from the on-line Apple store and I took along all my paperwork. I buy all my stuff direct from Apple on-line - ironically it was the first time I'd been into the shop. They was sympathetic - but explained it was different supply chains would mess up stock inventory etc.

Sounded to me that the Apple store regarded the on-line Apple store as competitors TBH. :rolleyes:

double329

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2008
I will totally bring it back. You paid good money and it should be brand new ding/scratch free. If this is a refurbished, that will be a different story. This will drive me banana on day one. Bring it back for a new one.

CaoCao

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
Hi,

get it replaced, if it is above the battery it could have damaged it

macnerd123

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2010
Pennsylvania
I received an HP Touchsmart IQ546t in the mail and there was a minor dent, similar to the one you described. I was with it for about two days before coming to the realization that if I spent over one thousand dollars for a computer, I wanted it to be perfect. I would definitely return it to get a better one if I were you. If you don't, you will miss the opportunity and then have to deal with looking at the dimple/dent every time you use it.

superego

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2009
It's not uncommon to get a scratched or dented laptop from Apple. At worst I've seen a 13" MBP that had several dings and a scratch straight out of the box. It's unbelievable they'd let something like even leave the factory, and try to sell as if there was nothing wrong with it. So, return it, and next time check the body for any imperfections before anything else.

tomacintosh

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2005
The Unibody MacBook I bought two years ago from Apple Online came and the screen was out of line when shut, i.e the hinges weren't evenly spaced. Phoned them up and they offered to replace it immediately.

Also, when I bought my i7 iMac the first unit had the yellow screen tint, so I called Apple and they even shipped me a replacement before they picked up the old one.

Those are the only issues I've had regarding being unhappy with my Apple purchase, and both times they replaced the unit without question.

BENJMNS

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2005
so other than the sometimes not avail custom setups, why buy online? you still gotta pay tax.

i like going to the store and dealing with these dudes in person.

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida

Attachments

• original.gif
    original.gif
    22.7 KB · Views: 173

double329

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2008
It happened to me when i bought MBP 15, picked up at the store, came home, opened and two dents. Went back to store few days later to exchange. They were very nice and exchanged without issue. I asked if i can check at the store. They told me sure.. And one of the blue shirt dude was helping to make sure i am happy and to answer any question. They were very helpful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.