PDA

View Full Version : Need iPad PDF reader, WITH ANNOTATION

JS82189
Apr 3, 2010, 01:12 PM
something just like Preview annotation would be beautiful!

My professor often adds bonus question info and corrections etc..

I can't be the only one?

FlashHead
Apr 3, 2010, 01:27 PM
check out PadNotes

Cougarcat
Apr 3, 2010, 02:19 PM
Padnotes' interface looks like crap. Papers looks great, and it syncs with the mac version, but I'm not sure if you can annotate.

JS82189
Apr 3, 2010, 02:30 PM
Ive been chatting with the GoodReader support guys, looks like my school's security system is gonna give me grief for direct PDF downloads.

They said that annotation is 'an upcoming' feature.

Ill take a look at Padnotes, I really like GoodReader, was great at .99c too

JS82189
Apr 3, 2010, 02:38 PM
Well Padnotes can annotate, but doesnt seem like it can import files.. im not done sorting through it

jhludwig
Apr 5, 2010, 11:43 AM
uploads/downloads pdfs from mac/windows desktop, and lets you annotate on the ipad. UI is garbage but once you learn it, it is pretty efficient.

TraceyS/FL
Apr 5, 2010, 11:50 AM
Ive been chatting with the GoodReader support guys, looks like my school's security system is gonna give me grief for direct PDF downloads.

They said that annotation is 'an upcoming' feature.

Ill take a look at Padnotes, I really like GoodReader, was great at .99c too
Happy to hear they are planning on adding it. That would be perfect.

Well Padnotes can annotate, but doesnt seem like it can import files.. im not done sorting through it
It can - but not in batch. One file at a time....

uploads/downloads pdfs from mac/windows desktop, and lets you annotate on the ipad. UI is garbage but once you learn it, it is pretty efficient.

Padnotes' interface looks like crap. Papers looks great, and it syncs with the mac version, but I'm not sure if you can annotate.
PadNotes is clunky..... but a good start for what it does. It just isn't smooth/easy if you have a huge amount of files you want to write on (or import). I don't regret spending the $2.99 - it stopped a child in meltdown over writing a speech homework paper this morning. On a monday after a sugar filled holiday - i'll gladly spend another $2.99 for that!

I'm about to divide my PDF stuff into 3 groups.

Good Reader - straight reading and searching of a huge library of files

PadNotes - kids worksheets to fill in, coloring book type of stuff.

iAnnotate - PDFs for annotating while studying.

I'm hesitant now to buy iAnnotate though, I wonder what the time frame is on GoodReader?

SteveSparks
Apr 5, 2010, 12:04 PM
Good Reader - straight reading and searching of a huge library of files

PadNotes - kids worksheets to fill in, coloring book type of stuff.

iAnnotate - PDFs for annotating while studying.

I'm hesitant now to buy iAnnotate though, I wonder what the time frame is on GoodReader?

I need ton take notes on some PDF files as I listen to some lectures for school. The lecture notes have some space for. Notes but I want to write (type) on the sheets. Sometimes they have word documents but most of the time is is PDF.

Which one of the above worse the best for taking notes on a PDF. Any of the, all you to add a page to the PDF for additional notes? Sometimes I turn my lecture guide over and write a specific item out...

steamtoy
Apr 5, 2010, 04:29 PM
I need ton take notes on some PDF files as I listen to some lectures for school. The lecture notes have some space for. Notes but I want to write (type) on the sheets. Sometimes they have word documents but most of the time is is PDF.

Which one of the above worse the best for taking notes on a PDF. Any of the, all you to add a page to the PDF for additional notes? Sometimes I turn my lecture guide over and write a specific item out...

PadNotes is good for your need. You can import PDFs as background and insert blank page any where. I didn't try iAnnotate because the price to me is unreasonable.

EnderTW
Apr 5, 2010, 05:15 PM
Good reader is coming out with annotsting? That's going to be so great. I hope they allow us to annotate not only PDFs but power points.

instantvoodoo
Apr 8, 2010, 04:03 PM
Good reader is coming out with annotsting? That's going to be so great. I hope they allow us to annotate not only PDFs but power points.

You could always print the PowerPoint to a PDF and annotate that. Or for that matter, any kind of file.

kenshinxue
Apr 8, 2010, 04:42 PM
PadNotes: amazing on video, crap when using
iAnnotate: expensive, but the best note taking software right now on iPad
GoodReader: will be perfect if adding note taking function

Reiger
May 16, 2010, 01:49 PM
I'm also looking for a good solution for the annotation-problem. I'm not going to spend money on iAnnotate, since I hate their interface. It has nothing to do with iPad UI-design. I don't want to encourage that kind of software.

So I hope that GoodReader will add this functionality, either as a paid add on or free. The functionality of GoodReader combined with proper annotation tools could be really powerful :) So I hope it's coming rather sooner than later.

workerasocial
Aug 27, 2010, 10:42 PM
I highly recommend iAnnotate. I just wrote about how I use it in my own productivity workflow on my blog.

http://bit.ly/9VzZ3w

Augustus1309
May 21, 2011, 02:21 PM
I highly recommend iAnnotate. I just wrote about how I use it in my own productivity workflow on my blog.

http://bit.ly/9VzZ3w

Student Pad (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/student-pad/id431041340?mt=8) is also okay. There is annotation, plus the fun post-it note.

metanoiac
Jan 31, 2012, 12:48 PM
check out this post of 10+3 annotation apps for the iPad: http://www.joachim-scholz.com/academipad/2012/01/ultimate-guide-annotate-pdf-files-ipad/

jojoba
Jan 31, 2012, 02:13 PM
This thread is REALLY old. But in case any benefits from the info, I warmly vote iAnnotate and PDF Expert. iAnnotate's UI is MUCH better now since their last update, and they also do tags now which is great for doc management. I also like PDF Expert for its simplicity and clean UI.

MathRulz
Jan 31, 2012, 04:58 PM
check out this post of 10+3 annotation apps for the iPad: http://academipad.joachim-scholz.com/2012/01/29/the-ultimate-guide-to-annotating-pdfs-on-your-ipad-how-you-find-the-app-that-is-best-for-you/

Interesting division into apps for three types of PDF readers. And explains why I use two apps for this. I use iAnnotate PDF as an all around reader in my administrative role to mark up PDFs I need to use in meetings, for example. And I use Sente for my academic research role. I typically collect journal articles on my iMac Sente and read and annotate them on Sente for iPad.

metanoiac
Feb 1, 2012, 04:22 PM
...explains why I use two apps for this. I use iAnnotate PDF as an all around reader in my administrative role to mark up PDFs I need to use in meetings, for example. And I use Sente for my academic research role. I typically collect journal articles on my iMac Sente and read and annotate them on Sente for iPad.

I think we are using the exact same workflow. In fact, I was using iAnnotate in a committee meeting just an hour ago!

Fools think alike...

tinycg
Feb 8, 2012, 07:40 PM
Scribble (http://www.soonr.com/scribble/) looks like an interesting alternative but it seems to use a web service, which seems similar to SlideShark for presentations which I'm partial to as SlideShark (http://linkdby.me/to/slideshark) can at least handle animations where Scribble can't.