PDA

View Full Version : Another Jaguar Rebate ($30)

arn
Aug 6, 2002, 04:33 AM
Mac Warehouse is offering a $30 Mail-In Rebate (http://www.warehouse.com/rebate/macwarehouse/jaguar_30.pdf) for Mac OS X 10.2 (Jaguar).

Invoice must be dated on or after August 5, 2002, and no later than September 14, 2002.
Rebates must be postmarked within 30 days of invoice date and no later than October 14, 2002.

Amazon had previously offered (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2002/07/20020728005350.shtml) a $50 rebate for Jaguar... but was subsequently pulled due to overwhelming demand (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2002/08/20020801162528.shtml).

DannyZR2
Aug 6, 2002, 05:52 AM
I'll be buying a new iMac 17 or Powermac ? as soon as they are readily available at the local retail store where I will have nearly a grand of "in store credit" to spend! So I'll be getting jag inclusive.. I wonder if it will still be able to boot to 9 though.... that will be interesting...

Can't wait!

Geert
Aug 6, 2002, 05:52 AM
:( still waiting on a Europian rebate

Anybody seen one yet?

dekator
Aug 6, 2002, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by Geert
:( still waiting on a Europian rebate

Anybody seen one yet?

Not only is it that I haven't seen any rebate in Europe so far, to make things worse, the education-version of Jaguar is 99,- as compared to $ 69 in the US of A. That is with a virtual parity of the and the $. And please don't tell me they have to ship the CDs to Europe...
BTW, all other prices in Europe are significantly higher than in the US of A. In these times when people on both sides of the Atlantic have little money to spend, Apple's pricing policy in EU is disastrous. Apple seem to care s*** about Europe. Are they just too stupid to make good business or do they simply love to loose markets(hare) ? :confused:

Bear
Aug 6, 2002, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by dekator

Not only is it that I haven't seen any rebate in Europe so far, to make things worse, the education-version of Jaguar is 99,- as compared to $ 69 in the US of A. That is with a virtual parity of the and the $. And please don't tell me they have to ship the CDs to Europe...
BTW, all other prices in Europe are significantly higher than in the US of A. In these times when people on both sides of the Atlantic have little money to spend, Apple's pricing policy in EU is disastrous. Apple seem to care s*** about Europe. Are they just too stupid to make good business or do they simply love to loose markets(hare) ? :confused:

I do not claim to be aware of all the factors involved with pricing in Europe. However,, I know that some price quotes in Europe include the VAT. Is that true in this case? In the US, prices are before any sales tax.

dekator
Aug 6, 2002, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by Bear

I do not claim to be aware of all the factors involved with pricing in Europe. However,, I know that some price quotes in Europe include the VAT. Is that true in this case? In the US, prices are before any sales tax.

Yepp, I'm aware of the tax issue. The numbers I adduced are exclusive of VAT (for better comparability).
The price you actually have to pay for an education-copy of 10.2 (e.g. in Germany) is
In the Apple store prices are usually given both including and excluding VAT.

KlausC
Aug 6, 2002, 09:52 AM
Rebates... Amazon... And now; what about Europe? Interesting, but:

$129 is OK for a new OS with all these features, especially if it's stable, finally supports all current hardware correctly, and is FAST, too. It could actually cost more - as a new license.

However, there seems to be some kind of consensus (started by Apple) to refer to Jaguar as an "upgrade" in ALL cases, completely ignoring those of us who have been paying since the Public Beta.

Why can't we get real upgrade pricing from Apple? Not a (third party) rebate (based on volume, logistics, supply and demand), but common practice among all software vendors since the beginning of commercial software-time.

Of course, any customer can always pretend to be a developer and buy the cheapest ADC package, thereby getting near-commercial-grade OS's, but that's another story .-)

nero007
Aug 6, 2002, 10:27 AM
If we have the Amazon coupon, what's to stop us from using it? No where on the coupon does it say we have the right to end this promotion prematurely.

I think we should distrubute the coupon and tell Amazon to stick it.

TechLarry
Aug 6, 2002, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by KlausC
Rebates... Amazon... And now; what about Europe? Interesting, but:

$129 is OK for a new OS with all these features, especially if it's stable, finally supports all current hardware correctly, and is FAST, too. It could actually cost more - as a new license.

No, it's not.

Tell that to people with 1 day old copies or 1 day old machines. Or 3 month old machines for that matter.

And just because they finally have things working right, that SHOULD have been working right in the first place, does not mean that they should charge for them all over again.

It all means that previous owners of MacOS X were part of a multi-layered, multi-charge beta test, without it being called one.

And I got screwed on QT6 too. Lucky me :(

The only reason Apple sold me a copy was because of the Amazon $50 rebate.

TL

greenplasticcup
Aug 6, 2002, 01:13 PM
You knew what you were getting with OSX.0. (and X.1) And we lived with it for a year and a half. If you wanted to wait till something better came along you could have. Have you seen the difference between System 6 and 7 (or 7.1 and 7.5)? At first glance, not too much of a different, but the differences are there. Kind of like 10.0 - 10.2

The OS is always going to be improving and adding features. That's how it goes. And if I have to pay full upgrade price every year and a half, then that's not too bad. Especially considering the differences that are there.

The argument can be made to say that 10.0 is pretty "not up to par" compared to 10.2, but you could say the same thing for 8.0 compared to 9.2, or even 9.0 to X.0. Or even 7.1 to 7.5.

The simple fact is there's always room to grow, and they have to charge us for it, because if they didn't they couldn't afford to grow the OS. Every OS is a "a multi-layered, multi-charge beta test, without it being called one."

ladrums1000
Aug 6, 2002, 02:45 PM
Folks, 10.2 Jagwire is not going anywhere, so I suggest you all just wait until August 24th. Let's see first of all if Apple decides to give all new 10.1.5 users a less expensive upgrade. Also, I am sure other stores will come along and offer some sort of rebate when we get closer to release date. So unless you are satisfied with a $30 rebate from mac warehouse, I would suggest waiting, so we don't have a new b*tchfest here when someone else comes along with a better rebate than you already received.

Just my 2 cents worth....and unlike Apple, my 2 cents is free!

Nebrie
Aug 6, 2002, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by dekator

Yepp, I'm aware of the tax issue. The numbers I adduced are exclusive of VAT (for better comparability).
The price you actually have to pay for an education-copy of 10.2 (e.g. in Germany) is
In the Apple store prices are usually given both including and excluding VAT.

Other factors besides the shipping which should add just a little to the price:

1. are there tarrifs on computer stuff going to europe?
2. there are far fewer users there so their fixed costs per product is higher possibly?
3. Apple locks in currency futures. That means, whatever money it brings back to the states, it brings back at an exchange rate set a few months ago. This helps it determine product prices, earnings, and protects against wild currency swings. However, that's bad right now, when the Euro has been gaining against the dollar. Not only do Macs look way more expensive than they are in the US, but there's nothing Apple can do about it either.

KlausC
Aug 6, 2002, 05:40 PM
IF
System Software cannot be upgraded according to the same principles all other SW can
THEN
I'd rather have a personal Mac OS ID and thereafter; relative (totally HW independent) pricing 8-)
NOT
being forced to actually buy a new license - called an "upgrade" - like Jaguar.
END

We sure want (and get) new SW much more frequently than we actually buy new HW anyway, so bundled SW, coupons and such are very much a game of chance in the long run. "Please allow 6-8 weeks for delivery" .-)

Living here in "Nokia-land", my main concern is when we'll actually get the Jaguar CD's - personally, I'd rather buy & DL (like I got QT6 Pro), but that's another story.

psxndc
Aug 6, 2002, 09:03 PM
If we have the Amazon coupon, what's to stop us from using it? No where on the coupon does it say we have the right to end this promotion prematurely.

I think we should distrubute the coupon and tell Amazon to stick it.

I have been going back and forth with Amazon on this very issue the last couple days. The thing is, I actually HAD ordered it within the time limit, but after seeing a banner ad on MacSlash for it, I canceled my previous legit order and went through MacSlash to throw a little $ their way. Unfortunately this was on August 1st. I sent a letter to Amazon explaining the situation. The first reply referred to a promotion on some other product from some other company. It almost seemed like the person didn't read my letter. I replied and attached the rebate for clarification. I got a response indicating that they could not give me the rebate even though I had had a legit order before their deadline. I then replied saying that while I was delighted that the OS was selling so well on Amazon, the rebate coupon does not mention anything about pulling the offer early for any reason. And I couldn't see any legal reason they could not honor my coupon. They replied saying that they still wouldn't honor it. I finally replied thanking them for their time and informing them I would be taking my business elsewhere (spefically MacWarehouse). I also mentioned that it saddened me because Amazon has always been great about customer service and now I will no longer be purchasing goods from them (I have spent a ridiculous amount over the years on Amazon).

It's a shame companies including Apple are handling this so poorly (I informed Apple I was purchasing it from Amazon because I purchased my first mac, an iBook, less than two months ago and I didn't think paying full price was fair).

-p

nero007
Aug 7, 2002, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by psxndc

I have been going back and forth with Amazon on this very issue the last couple days. The thing is, I actually HAD ordered it within the time limit, but after seeing a banner ad on MacSlash for it, I canceled my previous legit order and went through MacSlash to throw a little $ their way. Unfortunately this was on August 1st. I sent a letter to Amazon explaining the situation. The first reply referred to a promotion on some other product from some other company. It almost seemed like the person didn't read my letter. I replied and attached the rebate for clarification. I got a response indicating that they could not give me the rebate even though I had had a legit order before their deadline. I then replied saying that while I was delighted that the OS was selling so well on Amazon, the rebate coupon does not mention anything about pulling the offer early for any reason. And I couldn't see any legal reason they could not honor my coupon. They replied saying that they still wouldn't honor it. I finally replied thanking them for their time and informing them I would be taking my business elsewhere (spefically MacWarehouse). I also mentioned that it saddened me because Amazon has always been great about customer service and now I will no longer be purchasing goods from them (I have spent a ridiculous amount over the years on Amazon).

It's a shame companies including Apple are handling this so poorly (I informed Apple I was purchasing it from Amazon because I purchased my first mac, an iBook, less than two months ago and I didn't think paying full price was fair).

-p

Is there any legal trouble they can get into for not honoring this coupon?

onemoof
Aug 7, 2002, 04:23 PM
ClubMac has a better deal, you get OS X for $98.95 (5 cents cheaper than this price). Even better is you only have to mail in a $21 rebate because their regular price is only $119.95.

psxndc
Aug 7, 2002, 04:28 PM
One of my friends is an IP lawyer. He knows a good amount about contract law as well so here it goes, filtered through me (IANAL though):

When you buy something from amazon, you are actually making the offer (offering them money for a product). Amazon can then choose to accept or deny that offer. They accepted offers up until the 31st. Even though the rebate states "good through X date", the rebate is not part of the offer Amazon accepts until the 31st. The offer is still $129 and if you bought it by X date, they will reimburse you.

They do not have to accept any offers by you that include a rebate technically at any time. This is why they offer it as a rebate instead of a price markdown. A price markdown is seen as part of an offer ("I will pay you $79 for OS X"). If they had it listed as $79, then they have to honor the price you offered if they accepted. By charging the full $129 and saying they will reimburse you $50, it changes the rules. In my case, I had made an offer, they accepted, I recinded my offer, and made a new offer, one they didn't accept.

He said I didn't really have a chance if it were to go to court (though I obviously wouldn't bother, I'd just get it elsewhere).

-p

nero007
Aug 7, 2002, 10:43 PM
Don't you just love shady business practice? :rolleyes:

bobky
Aug 8, 2002, 03:52 PM
For those in the UK, amazon.co.uk is offering jaguar 16 quid cheaper than the apple store, including delivery. It's not much, but anything is better than nothing.

mnm
Aug 8, 2002, 07:01 PM
also states release as August 13th, what not the 24th? maybe available with new hardware? Probably just a typo though!

bobky
Aug 9, 2002, 05:11 AM
noticed that to, figured it was a typo. Maybe we'll have Jaguar here before they do in the States?
(YEAH RIGHT HAHA) :p