PDA

View Full Version : Car holder or dashboard mount for iPad?

smitha96
Apr 3, 2010, 04:13 PM
When the 3g iPad comes out, I'd like to mount it in my car. Any suggestions for products? It'd not be nessesarily on the windshield.

RiceRacerDX
Apr 3, 2010, 04:22 PM
Me thinks you will have an accident in the near future...or you're just a show-off. Btw, most state laws prohibit screens above the level of the dashboard or obstructing the drivers view of the road in any way (which basically means nothing can go on the windshield). Most GPS units mount to the windshield illegally and this law is just as loosely enforced as illegal window tinting. And sure a 9.7" TomTom would be nice to have, but there's a reason why they throw in voice guidance...

smitha96
Apr 3, 2010, 05:11 PM
Thank you. I'm aware of my state laws and don't need to be lectured. Does anyone know how one might go about mounting one of these in a car?

FSUSem1noles
Apr 3, 2010, 05:13 PM
Thank you. I'm aware of my state laws and don't need to be lectured. Does anyone know how one might go about mounting one of these in a car?

Yeah, have a friend sit in the passenger seat and hold it up for you while you zoom, zoom around town and look cool! :cool:

cdinca
Apr 3, 2010, 05:19 PM
I have a double din kenwood touchscreen in my dash that I would love to yank for an ipad. I think you will have to get it custom done. If you do, post pictures.

Dougbernards
Apr 4, 2010, 11:40 AM
Check this video out. Soundman put a iPad in a car already.
http://www.soundmancaraudio.com/home/2010/4/3/first-ipad-in-a-car.html

cdinca
Apr 4, 2010, 12:25 PM

Very nice.

jgfink
Apr 4, 2010, 12:29 PM

I want that. Looks practical, I see issues with taking it out to sync with a computer, as well as accessing the power button.

FWW
Apr 4, 2010, 12:33 PM
I want that. Looks practical, I see issues with taking it out to sync with a computer, as well as accessing the power button.

I left a comment asking for the source of the dock to optical cable he is gonna use. As sooooon as i can get my hands on one, and make sure the D/A converter, amp and ipad play well together, I am tearing my dash apart and making room.

His doesn't look like he plans to pull it out once installed. I will definitely be making it "swappable" so it can slide in and out.

What sucks is that I JUST installed a nice new pioneer touchscreen DVD unit a month ago. Lol.

cdinca
Apr 4, 2010, 01:16 PM
I left a comment asking for the source of the dock to optical cable he is gonna use. As sooooon as i can get my hands on one, and make sure the D/A converter, amp and ipad play well together, I am tearing my dash apart and making room.

His doesn't look like he plans to pull it out once installed. I will definitely be making it "swappable" so it can slide in and out.

What sucks is that I JUST installed a nice new pioneer touchscreen DVD unit a month ago. Lol.

He mentions using the Onkyo ND-S1 which is a dock with
optical out. So, there is a lot of money in that install. I'm going a lot cheaper. I don't know about optical audio in a car.

poppe
Apr 4, 2010, 01:24 PM
Maybe if enough ProClip requests come in they'll make one! I definitely would love to have less of a permanent dock as the video posted above.