Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
So now that I have my shiny new (ok, open box--I'm cheap) 20" Aluminium Cinema Display hooked to my G5, I'm wondering... has anybody heard of plans to make an ADC breakout adapter of some sort? What I'm thinking is that, since the ADC connector has USB (only 1, given), DVI, and I assume the same power signals as the new monitor bricks in it, someone could build a little breakout cable that gave a new display access to the ADC power and maybe USB connection.

Maybe there's some wiring-related reason this wouldn't work (the new monitors always need pwoer or whatever), but it'd take advantage of that huge beefy power supply and free up a USB port (providing I'm willing to sacrifice USB2.0 on the monitor--the ports do seem to be high speed), and eliminate a brick sitting on the ground.

Anybody else think this'd be a neat idea for a company like Dr. Bott, or heard of plans along these lines from anybody?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Makosuke said:
So now that I have my shiny new (ok, open box--I'm cheap) 20" Aluminium Cinema Display hooked to my G5, I'm wondering... has anybody heard of plans to make an ADC breakout adapter of some sort? What I'm thinking is that, since the ADC connector has USB (only 1, given), DVI, and I assume the same power signals as the new monitor bricks in it, someone could build a little breakout cable that gave a new display access to the ADC power and maybe USB connection.

Maybe there's some wiring-related reason this wouldn't work (the new monitors always need pwoer or whatever), but it'd take advantage of that huge beefy power supply and free up a USB port (providing I'm willing to sacrifice USB2.0 on the monitor--the ports do seem to be high speed), and eliminate a brick sitting on the ground.

Anybody else think this'd be a neat idea for a company like Dr. Bott, or heard of plans along these lines from anybody?
I suspect that there are two reasons why this wouldn't work:
1. Not all Macs will be able to supply enough power to the display through ADC.
2. Such a cable would be incompatible with the 30" display (that wouldn't matter too much, since you need a PowerMac G5 and the nVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL graphics card to use the 30" display)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.