PDA

View Full Version : The iPad tricks and tips thread

Pages : [1] 2

samcraig
Apr 3, 2010, 10:55 PM
Ok - here's the place to post any cool tricks/tips you have for everyone

For example - in the YouTube app, you can pinch or "un"pinch on the video to bring it full screen and back

In Photos - you unpinch to explode your photos - when you are ON a single photo you can pinch down and it will go back to that group of photos. Do it again and it goes back to all your groups...

DreamPod
Apr 3, 2010, 10:59 PM
When setting up the wallpapers, you can pinch/zoom and pan them around to get them centered just how you like...the trick is, if you then rotate the system, you can do it again for the other orientation, and it remembers both. This way you could use a 1024x768 image, and then zoom in the portrait version so that it fills the 768x1024 screen without being ugly.

appleguy123
Apr 3, 2010, 11:04 PM
Holding the volume down button for 2 seconds acts as a mute switch. If an app is unresponsive hold the lock button until you see the power slider and then let go and hold the home to force quit the app. Also works if app keeps crashing on launch.

lostfan916
Apr 3, 2010, 11:06 PM
Enable safari bookmark bar in safari settings.

FWW
Apr 3, 2010, 11:10 PM
Not a software trick or anything but I got a tip... Put a few strips of electrical tape on the back if you are waiting for your case to be delivered... That black rubber apple does scratch if you set it down and pick it up a few times.
:mad:

neutrinosllc
Apr 3, 2010, 11:19 PM
Don't be too gentle with it. This device is meant to be used casually. Therre will be more iPads in your future.

ImperialX
Apr 3, 2010, 11:22 PM
If an app is unresponsive hold the lock button until you see the power slider and then let go and hold the home to force quit the app. Also works if app keeps crashing on launch.

Does this work on the iPhone?

appleguy123
Apr 4, 2010, 03:36 PM
Does this work on the iPhone?

Yes, that's from where I got the idea.

.Andy
Apr 4, 2010, 03:40 PM
Tip # 4: Keeping your ipad in a handy spot next to your bed for quick reference will ensure you don't have sex again and your wife eventually divorces you.

kunfunyu
Apr 4, 2010, 03:42 PM
How do you shuffle on the iPod? Am I the only one that can't figure this out??? (I got it)

bluehaze013
Apr 4, 2010, 03:44 PM
Need a longer power cord? Pop the prongs off the 10w adapter and plug in an extension from your laptop or old radio whatever. I had several of these cords laying around they are pretty common probably can find them at radio shack or someplace similiar if you don't want to steal one from another device your using. I now have a 10 ft power cord :D

jjk454ss
Apr 4, 2010, 03:45 PM

Thank you, I wanted this but didn't know it was available.

My only tip is after accidentally pressing the home button because of how I was holding the iPad, I have been holding it upside down with no problems:D.

AWalkerStudios
Apr 4, 2010, 03:46 PM
You shuffle the same way you do on the touch. When a song is playing tap once on the album art work to bring up playback controls. There's a shuffle icon to the right.

SnowLeopard2008
Apr 4, 2010, 03:48 PM
How do you shuffle on the iPod? Am I the only one that can't figure this out??? (I got it)

Shuffle as in shuffle when playing songs?

danpass
May 7, 2010, 06:52 PM
this thread had the most responses ............

swiping up on the comma/exclamation softkey automatically inserts the apostrophe for you

perhaps we can merge the four threads?

jobsfnby
May 7, 2010, 07:12 PM
You can now edit any iTunes playlist within the iPod app.

When you have a playlist pulled up an edit button appears in the top right hand side of the window with all the songs just under the search box. I haven't used it at all but just noticed it. I've never seen this mentioned or highlighted before.

lokerd
May 7, 2010, 07:12 PM
Not a software trick or anything but I got a tip... Put a few strips of electrical tape on the back if you are waiting for your case to be delivered... That black rubber apple does scratch if you set it down and pick it up a few times.

Good tip...a little better idea is to find egrip. http://www.egrips.com/

I bought like 10 packages on bay for dirt cheap. They are the BEST for this. I made a squre on the back of mine with long grips...so regardless of my orientation, my finger tips are in the right place. I was exchanging my pad...but passed my 14 days...so I plan to stick the rest of the package in key places. Even as it is, I can almost hold my pad vertical from the back. And when I stick the pad down on a surface it doesn't budge.

I have been thinking about putting some grips on the FRONT of the screen...in the corners. Anybody try this yet?

Tulipone
May 7, 2010, 07:16 PM
Tip # 4: Keeping your ipad in a handy spot next to your bed for quick reference will ensure you don't have sex again and your wife eventually divorces you.

...this is a problem for you? Most would have the iPad in a handy spot for something to do after rejection.

jhkingsr
May 7, 2010, 09:14 PM
I've got 8 screens set up and have different categories for each (Games, Productivity, Entertainment, Utilities, etc.....). I found out how to get the extra screens by accident. When you move a app icon to the last screen, just continue sliding it to right edge, hold it there, and viola, a new screen appears! It really helps in keeping the apps organized.

Dillenger
May 7, 2010, 09:22 PM

or she won't have to use the headache excuse anymore, and under her breath you will hear her say, "Thanks, Steve."

jlpoore89
May 7, 2010, 09:28 PM

swiping up on the comma/exclamation softkey automatically inserts the apostrophe for you

Thank you so much. Having to hit the numbers/symbols button every time I needed an apostrophe was ridiculous!! This trick will be super handy!!!

fpnc
May 7, 2010, 09:29 PM
You can stream iTunes video from your Mac to the iPad using Mac OS X's Web Sharing feature. Here is the link which has the details:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=911283

P.S. No, this isn't exactly like AirVideo or StreamToMe -- in some ways it's actually better.

Second tip (since the first was kind of a crosspost): A list of shortcuts that work with Bluetooth keyboards (external link):

http://www.damacster.com/2010/04/ipad-apple-wireless-keyboard/

Apple all life
May 7, 2010, 09:34 PM
Everyone probably knows this but I will post anyway. If you hold the .COM button down .NET, .ORG, ect will show up.

lokerd
May 7, 2010, 09:59 PM
Thank you so much. Having to hit the numbers/symbols button every time I needed an apostrophe was ridiculous!! This trick will be super handy!!!

I didn't know this either and was glad to learn. However, the iPad is pretty good about correcting didnt to didn't...just don't type the ' and it will put it in for you.

Everyone probably knows this but I will post anyway. If you hold the .COM button down .NET, .ORG, ect will show up.

I didn't know this. Thanks. I just wish the .com was on the keyboard more often.

Starbucker
May 7, 2010, 10:03 PM
Press home + sleep button for screenshot. Shows up in photos.

fjfjfjfj
May 7, 2010, 10:24 PM
When setting up the wallpapers, you can pinch/zoom and pan them around to get them centered just how you like...the trick is, if you then rotate the system, you can do it again for the other orientation, and it remembers both. This way you could use a 1024x768 image, and then zoom in the portrait version so that it fills the 768x1024 screen without being ugly.

Awesome. Thank you for this one.

Advil
May 8, 2010, 03:10 AM
I found out that if you accidentally hit the home button while in an app, if you hold it for like 2 seconds it doesn't actually quit the app. very useful.

keyofnight
May 8, 2010, 03:46 AM
Once you get your bookmarks bar working, add a bunch of bookmarklets. (http://static.chrisbray.com/bookmarklets/index.html)

dogg
May 8, 2010, 03:49 AM

Couple of questions about this tip.

1. Does she take the kids when she leaves?:D

2. Will she ask for the iPad as part if the divorce settlement?!! :eek:

snapper07
May 8, 2010, 04:13 AM

These are top tip's guy's very useful!

Akash.B
May 8, 2010, 07:42 AM
If you don't want to swipe on the home screen to go from page to page, simply tap on those dots at the bottom and they will change the page for you.

Peter Harrison
May 8, 2010, 07:52 AM
I originally thought the iPad would sell mostly to people with iPhones already... but judging by the tips I guess not. All very useful, but 90% simple iPhone functionality still found on the iPad.

rablat
May 8, 2010, 07:59 AM

What black rubber apple?

ZBoater
May 8, 2010, 08:09 AM
As a PC user I find Xmarks.com to be an awesome solution to keep my internet bookmarks synced between my multiple pcs (using ie and ff). Then, on my iPad, I bookmark the Xmarks page and they have an iPhone formatted page that works great on the iPad.

Jethrotoe
May 8, 2010, 08:12 AM
Need a longer power cord? Pop the prongs off the 10w adapter and plug in an extension from your laptop or old radio whatever. I had several of these cords laying around they are pretty common probably can find them at radio shack or someplace similiar if you don't want to steal one from another device your using. I now have a 10 ft power cord :D

Why didn't I think of that. I didn't even look at the size of it. I have a million of those cords. Thanks!

ctakim
May 8, 2010, 08:13 AM

How do I keep it off her nightstand????:D

mcdj
May 8, 2010, 08:17 AM
These are top tip's guy's very useful!
Last edited by snapper07 : Today at 05:14 AM. Reason: Adding a missing ' (using new technique of course!)

Too bad you have no idea how to use an apostrophe. :rolleyes:

AC10
May 8, 2010, 10:59 AM
Both shift keys simultaneously = Caps LOCK

If your ipad locks up = home key and power key for 30 secs resets the device.

Want to download docs and create file folders = use GoodReader
:D

danpass
May 8, 2010, 11:08 AM

to download a web pdf (for example) simply type a 'g' in front of the http and Goodreader will automatically download it.

e.g.: ghttp://.......

medicscott
May 8, 2010, 11:31 AM

so your saying i could keep lets my resume (pages) on my ipad?

AC10
May 8, 2010, 11:40 AM
I have word, excel, ppt and PDFs all in a nice file structure.

Goodreader is great.

Sent from my iPad 3G

medicscott
May 8, 2010, 11:43 AM
now i have dropbox, which i have some files like my resume, etc. is goodreader the same thing? or can i modify these files with goodreader?

PsyD4Me
May 8, 2010, 11:45 AM
What black rubber apple?

It's not rubber that's for sure

snapper07
May 8, 2010, 11:50 AM

Nice to see the pedant grammar police are patrolling the forum!*

Chill

PsyD4Me
May 8, 2010, 11:55 AM
I wish there was a faster way too scroll in safari

ScottFitz
May 8, 2010, 12:04 PM

I did not, but I do now! Thanks

antiprotest
May 8, 2010, 12:12 PM
My only tip is after accidentally pressing the home button because of how I was holding the iPad, I have been holding it upside down with no problems:D.

Yes, I saw someone complained that Apple messed up by putting the headphone jack at the top rather than at the bottom, so that the cord gets in the way when he uses his iPad in portrait mode. You can rotate the iPad to whatever position you want, so if you want the jack at the bottom, just rotate to the bottom.

Peter Harrison
May 8, 2010, 12:47 PM

Probably won't help you as it doesn't improve scrolling in any direction as such... But have you tried touching the bar at the top (with time, battery etc) while looking at any scrollabl content anywhere on the iPad? On the iPhone, this scrolls straight to the top of the page really quick.

CarboysDesire
May 8, 2010, 01:36 PM
To prevent pages from reloading in Safari surf with your left hand only.

ETA: if you normally surf with your left hand, use your right hand.

It's magical. It knows the difference.

murphyrulez
May 8, 2010, 02:06 PM

I'm not getting this to work. I pick a picture, say use as wallpaper, then zoom in and position it in portrait mode. Then I rotate the iPad and the picture flips and I zoom in and position it in landscape mode. I click set home screen, and jump out to check it, and it only remembers my positoning for the last orientation I did. In this case, landscape mode.
I tested it by zooming in tight on 2 completely different pieces of the picture.

How exactly do you make it remember both orientations?

JefferyShin
May 8, 2010, 07:23 PM
To prevent pages from reloading in Safari surf with your left hand only.

It's magical. It knows the difference.

Whaaaaa?

Could you explain what you mean?

msavwah
May 8, 2010, 07:47 PM
Nice!
You can actually just hold it a sec too.

mcdj
May 8, 2010, 08:41 PM

ETA?

iSingandiDance
May 8, 2010, 08:45 PM
From the iPod screen, you can enlarge the artwork by pinching out. You can return the artwork to its normal size by pinching in.

Kinda cool.

danpass
May 8, 2010, 08:46 PM
ETA?

Edited To Add

let's keep up with the acronyms shall we? :D

ZBoater
May 8, 2010, 08:58 PM
Edited To Add

Whatever happened to Estimated Time of Arrival? :rolleyes:

MisterL99
May 8, 2010, 08:59 PM
If you don't want to swipe on the home screen to go from page to page, simply tap on those dots at the bottom and they will change the page for you.

Nice

dav
May 8, 2010, 08:59 PM
From the iPod screen, you can enlarge the artwork by pinching out. You can return the artwork to its normal size by pinching in.

Kinda cool.

thanks for this. any way to prevent the ipod from going into full screen art mode? hate that mode, wish it functioned more like itunes.

Lwyd
May 9, 2010, 12:53 AM
In Keynote while playing a slide show (full screen) if you tap and hold for a few seconds you get a laser pointer. This is great if you're playing the slides on a projector.

Galley
May 9, 2010, 08:19 AM
The wallpaper trick doesn't seem to work with square images. :(

nightfly13
May 9, 2010, 09:31 AM
Still awaiting delivery of my iPad, but been using an iPhone for ages. The default setting for a double click of the home button is favorites for quick phone calls. What does it do on the iPad? On iPhone, triple clicking takes you to the spotlight-like search feature.

PsyD4Me
May 9, 2010, 09:34 AM
Probably won't help you as it doesn't improve scrolling in any direction as such... But have you tried touching the bar at the top (with time, battery etc) while looking at any scrollabl content anywhere on the iPad? On the iPhone, this scrolls straight to the top of the page really quick.

Wow than didn't know that, now I gotta figure out how to scroll down

3goldens
May 9, 2010, 09:49 AM

That is. Good one they should have soft keys for mor functions!

mcdj
May 9, 2010, 10:13 AM
Edited To Add

man this place makes me feel old sometimes.

gillybean
May 9, 2010, 10:20 AM
Still awaiting delivery of my iPad, but been using an iPhone for ages. The default setting for a double click of the home button is favorites for quick phone calls. What does it do on the iPad? On iPhone, triple clicking takes you to the spotlight-like search feature.

Double click brings up the small music controls if you have music playing.

Triple click brings you to search.

ZBoater
May 9, 2010, 10:23 AM

That is customizable under Settings / General / Home.

jaycee520
May 9, 2010, 11:00 AM

Thanks..ill never find that out:D

PsyD4Me
May 9, 2010, 11:57 AM
This thread should be renamed to the iPad Easter Egg thread:o

JefferyShin
May 9, 2010, 01:52 PM
In safari, there's no need to type .com for most sites.

For example, just type in flickr and the top bar and click go, and it'll automatically fill in .com, regardless of if you have visited the site before or not.

phpmaven
May 9, 2010, 03:40 PM

Actually, I didn't know that. Thanks for the tip.

phpmaven
May 9, 2010, 03:43 PM

Tip's... I didn't see that. Good one. ;)

phpmaven
May 9, 2010, 03:45 PM
Nice to see the pedant grammar police are patrolling the forum!*

Chill

Actually, that should be "Nice to see THAT the pedant grammar police are patrolling the forum!" :D

snapper07
May 9, 2010, 04:26 PM
Tip's... I didn't see that. Good one. ;)

Actually, that should be "Nice to see THAT the pedant grammar police are patrolling the forum!" :D

Oh dear some people really don't have anything better to do.

It's pedantic, pompous, pathetic and pointless to endlessly correct people's spelling and grammar on this forum do people not take a moment to think that other forum users might not have such a great grasp of the English language?

ngenerator
May 10, 2010, 02:14 PM
to download a web pdf (for example) simply type a 'g' in front of the http and Goodreader will automatically download it.

Wow, awesome! It works like a charm!

snapper07
May 10, 2010, 02:24 PM

Wow, awesome! It works like a charm!

Wow yes genius what a great feature.

iSingandiDance
May 10, 2010, 02:27 PM
After a song or an album goes off and you don't feel like exiting what you're doing, you can enable shuffle.

Double-click on the home button, once the music controls come up, press the play button. Once the music begins playing press the previous song button. The play button will again come up. Press it once more and shuffle will be enabled.

Not really confined to just the iPad, however I did find it out while using iPad.

Countless times the music has gone off and I had to go back into music, thus exiting whichever app I may have been in at the time. If only I'd known this.

tacoshell
May 10, 2010, 03:10 PM
Question, can you rotate the orientation of a screen images, or change the way screen shot works. For some reason, when I take screen shots of apps, they appear in landscape when I hold the iPad in portrait and portrait when I hold it in landscape.

jamespa66
May 10, 2010, 03:40 PM
Moderators can you pin this topic so it's easy to find again please. Great tips so far, even for a well seasoned iPhone type like me.

medicscott
May 10, 2010, 03:44 PM
chant the words 'steve jobs' three times and then you can hold your ipad in the thin air. levitate. magical.

xl1ken
May 10, 2010, 05:39 PM
I am told that if you are having problems charging your iPad from say the lower powered USB ports of your computer or from a low powered USB charger to turn the screen off on your iPad. Have not yet tried this but apparently it works. Have others tried this?

Ken

Ok - here's the place to post any cool tricks/tips you have for everyone

For example - in the YouTube app, you can pinch or "un"pinch on the video to bring it full screen and back

In Photos - you unpinch to explode your photos - when you are ON a single photo you can pinch down and it will go back to that group of photos. Do it again and it goes back to all your groups...

ZBoater
May 10, 2010, 05:47 PM
I am told that if you are having problems charging your iPad from say the lower powered USB ports of your computer or from a low powered USB charger to turn the screen off on your iPad. Have not yet tried this but apparently it works. Have others tried this?

Ken

It could be my imagination, but I used an iPod adapter to charge overnight, and it charged, but I seemed to deplete my battery faster than when I charged with the iPad adapter. Completely anecdotal, but still, wont be using the iPod charger anymore... :rolleyes:

wgary
May 10, 2010, 07:03 PM
As a PC user I find Xmarks.com to be an awesome solution to keep my internet bookmarks synced between my multiple pcs (using ie and ff). Then, on my iPad, I bookmark the Xmarks page and they have an iPhone formatted page that works great on the iPad.

Note that MobileMe keeps bookmarks synced between multiple computers, ipads, iPhones, etc. using Safari. Works!

reppans
May 10, 2010, 07:36 PM
Some free cloud back-ups for iPad/iPhone: Google sync for email, contacts and calendars (all push capable) and simplenotesapp.com for notes. Makes it super easy switching platforms too.

ZBoater
May 10, 2010, 08:32 PM
Note that MobileMe keeps bookmarks synced between multiple computers, ipads, iPhones, etc. using Safari. Works!

Yeah, but Xmarks keeps them synced between Safari, Firefox, IE and it's free. :D

VanNess
May 10, 2010, 08:49 PM
Go to the iBookstore, search for "iPad"

You should see Apple's manual for the iPad as a free book. Download and enjoy!

zukernik
May 10, 2010, 10:08 PM

Having owned an iPhone for 2 years I already knew most of the tricks in this thread but this blew me away! I would have saved so much time if I had realized that a bit earlier!

PerfectCr
May 10, 2010, 10:12 PM

Awesome thank you!!

zukernik
May 10, 2010, 10:16 PM
Holding your finger on a location for 2 seconds in Maps will drop a purple pin on it. Pressing the red icon in the pin's menu will turn on Google Earth.

PerfectCr
May 10, 2010, 10:17 PM
Holding your finger on a location for 2 seconds in Maps will drop a purple pin on it. Pressing the red icon in the pin's menu will turn on Google Earth.

That's not Google Earth. That's Google Street View. ;)

VanNess
May 10, 2010, 10:39 PM
Another iBooks trick. This one might even qualify as an Easter egg.

Open the iBook app. When the shelves and books appear, drag the shelves down as far as they will go. You'll see the Apple logo carved on the wall.

tonyburkhart
May 11, 2010, 06:20 AM
:Dto download a web pdf (for example) simply type a 'g' in front of the http and Goodreader will automatically download it.

Sweet and sweet! Thanks :)

----

My tip...

When you're in Maps, hold down the "cross-hairs" or location circle at the top, for three seconds, it turns into compass mode for the map

:)

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1278/4598440868_9ff324ecac_o.jpg

JayMysterio
May 11, 2010, 06:42 AM

That rocks! Once I went back to the store, I noticed it's now listed on the bottom of the screen.

avaloncourt
May 11, 2010, 06:44 AM
When you're in Maps, hold down the "cross-hairs" or location circle at the top, for three seconds, it turns into compass mode for the map

You don't have to hold it. Two taps give you the compass. That would be quicker than holding it for three seconds.

Peter Harrison
May 11, 2010, 06:49 AM
That rocks! Once I went back to the store, I noticed it's now listed on the bottom of the screen.

How is the manual? Detailed?

snapper07
May 11, 2010, 06:56 AM
It's ok quite detailed it kinda goes over most of the obvious stuff and all the unusual features are covered on this thread.

Worth getting for trouble shooting.

PerfectCr
May 11, 2010, 07:38 AM
Sweet and sweet! Thanks :)

----

My tip...

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1278/4598440868_9ff324ecac_o.jpg
Gret tip! I am wondering though how does this work on the Wifi only iPad? I only have the 16GB model and I was under the impression it did not have a true GPS and compass. Is this just using Wifi to interpolate?

avaloncourt
May 11, 2010, 07:56 AM
Gret tip! I am wondering though how does this work on the Wifi only iPad? I only have the 16GB model and I was under the impression it did not have a true GPS and compass. Is this just using Wifi to interpolate?

No need to be "under the impression," the specifications page spells it out.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

All iPads have a compass.

The wi-fi model does not have any form of GPS. The best you'll be able to get out of it for location purposes is the Skyhook system which identifies known access points. That has been around and in use on Apple devices since the original iPhone.

iSingandiDance
May 11, 2010, 08:33 AM

e.g.: ghttp://.......This actually drove me to purchase GR.

Thanks. :)

tbayrgs
May 11, 2010, 09:05 AM

That is customizable under Settings / General / Home.

You can customize the triple click to switch to toggle white on black (switch from 'day' to 'night' mode) under Settings > General > Accessibility. Great feature for reading or browsing at night with dim or no lighting--much easier on the eyes.

vini-vidi-vici
May 11, 2010, 10:04 AM
Question, can you rotate the orientation of a screen images, or change the way screen shot works. For some reason, when I take screen shots of apps, they appear in landscape when I hold the iPad in portrait and portrait when I hold it in landscape.

Not sure, but you can flick the orientation-lock button for a couple seconds and solve that problem...

Soldout
May 11, 2010, 11:40 AM
I noticed I can listen to a web cast such as college radio while browsing other web pages.

Very useful.

I suggest kalx.berkeley.edu

kas23
May 11, 2010, 11:54 AM
I noticed I can listen to a web cast such as college radio while browsing other web pages.

Very useful.

I suggest kalx.berkeley.edu

Cool thing to do, but I wouldn't describe this as new or a trick since the iPhone OS has been able to do this since inception.

avaloncourt
May 11, 2010, 12:01 PM
Cool thing to do, but I wouldn't describe this as new or a trick since the iPhone OS has been able to do this since inception.

Actually, browser multitasking didn't originally exist. That came later (at the same time as apps were allowed to hand off audio streaming to the browser).

Theophany
May 11, 2010, 12:09 PM

Elicited the exact opposite response from my girlfriend. Guess I found me a keeper! ;)

Soldout
May 11, 2010, 12:23 PM

New to me! :p

After using the iPad I hate browsing web pages on my iPhone, and the iPhone keyboard! Too small!! The iPhone...like an old friend I want to get rid of.

To put it bluntly, the iPad proves to be what the iPhone only hints at.

dejo
May 11, 2010, 12:31 PM
The WiFi models don't have true GPS but they do have a compass! So this feature works great on them as well.

SteveWTW
May 11, 2010, 01:01 PM
Having problems scrolling within a text box on a web page? Use 2 fingers to scroll only within the text box only.

DKatri
May 11, 2010, 01:22 PM
It could be my imagination, but I used an iPod adapter to charge overnight, and it charged, but I seemed to deplete my battery faster than when I charged with the iPad adapter. Completely anecdotal, but still, wont be using the iPod charger anymore... :rolleyes:

http://gizmodo.com/5535631/the-fastest-and-slowest-way-to-charge-an-ipad

jonny5009
May 11, 2010, 01:46 PM
If you have Pages, you can download docs from websites by holding down the link and open in a new page. It will ask if you want Pages to open it and it will download straight to Pages. This has been very helpful with blackboard.

Peter Harrison
May 11, 2010, 01:51 PM
If you have Pages, you can download docs from websites by holding down the link and open in a new page. It will ask if you want Pages to open it and it will download straight to Pages. This has been very helpful with blackboard.

Great to know. It's already brilliant that a "g" before the URL downloads documents straight to GoodReader. But this is perfect if you are going to download a document to edit. Saves you downloading with GoodReader and then sending it to Pages.

avaloncourt
May 11, 2010, 01:58 PM

That's a great one.

Peter Harrison
May 11, 2010, 03:34 PM
Find a website with an embedded video like a Youtube video. If you press play, it now plays in the page itself so you can still see all the other content. On the iPhone, the video would take up the whole screen. So that's cool, and guess you all know that already. You probably also know that you can hit a button on the video that makes it full screen. Yep, pretty obvious.

But not everyone knows that while the video is playing on the web page, you can use the "pinch out" gesture to take the video full screen and the opposite to put it back small on the page again. No real benefit but the user experience can be more fun. Just letting you know, as some others didn't know you could do that.

Peter Harrison
May 11, 2010, 03:35 PM

Umm, bang goes 90% of this thread then. Remember some iPad users are new to iPhone OS.

tacoshell
May 11, 2010, 03:38 PM
Find a website with an embedded video like a Youtube video. If you press play, it now plays in the page itself so you can still see all the other content. On the iPhone, the video would take up the whole screen. So that's cool, and guess you all know that already. You probably also know that you can hit a button on the video that makes it full screen. Yep, pretty obvious.

But not everyone knows that while the video is playing on the web page, you can use the "pinch out" gesture to take the video full screen and the opposite to put it back small on the page again. No real benefit but the user experience can be more fun. Just letting you know, as some others didn't know you could do that.

Need to try this with the ABC site. They have Lost episodes on the APP, but not the shorts. Was trying to watch some of the extra stuff on the web page, and it would play, but no 'zoom' button to get it full screen. Will try and pinch out tonight.

Fireproof!
May 11, 2010, 03:40 PM
Some good tips in here that I forgot about.

And I didn't even know about the "g" in front of http for Goodreader. Very slick. Thanks.

Galley
May 11, 2010, 07:09 PM
I always double-tap the shift key to activate Caps Lock.

tacoshell
May 11, 2010, 07:35 PM
Need to try this with the ABC site. They have Lost episodes on the APP, but not the shorts. Was trying to watch some of the extra stuff on the web page, and it would play, but no 'zoom' button to get it full screen. Will try and pinch out tonight.

The pinch does not work with the videos on the abc site.

boss1
May 11, 2010, 08:40 PM
On normal PC's , safari, firefox etc. you normally have some form of CTRL + F. Keyboard combination Which let's you quickly type in a key word to find on a web page.

Safari on iPhone / iPad doesn't have this but if you bookmark the link below into your bookmarks bar and name it something like "Find" then you can search for text on a lengthy webpage easily

< javascript:void%28s%3Dprompt%28%27Find%20text%3A%27%2C%27%27%29%29%3Bs%3D%27%28%27+s+%27%29%27%3Bx%3 Dnew%20RegExp%28s%2C%27gi%27%29%3Brn%3DMath.floor%28Math.random%28%29*100%29%3Brid%3D%27z%27%20+%20r n%3Bb%20%3D%20document.body.innerHTML%3Bb%3Db.replace%28x%2C%27%3Cspan%20name%3D%27%20+%20rid%20+%20 %27%20id%3D%27%20+%20rid%20+%20%27%20style%3D%5C%27color%3A%23000%3Bbackground-color%3Ayellow%3B%20font-weight%3Abold%3B%5C%27%3E%241%3C/span%3E%27%29%3Bvoid%28document.body.innerHTML%3Db%29%3Balert%28%27Found%20%27%20+%20document.getEle mentsByName%28rid%29.length%20+%20%27%20matches.%27%29%3Bwindow.scrollTo%280%2Cdocument.getElementsB yName%28rid%29%5B0%5D.offsetTop%29%3B

>

Edit : found it. Create a new bookmark and paste the text between the < > I posted above into the URL area. You can name your bookmark "Find". This has been extremely useful for me.

Compile 'em all
May 11, 2010, 08:47 PM

Seconding this. I think Apple will bring a set of new gestures to safari in 4.0 including the 3 finger swipe for back and fwd.

keyofnight
May 13, 2010, 12:21 AM
On normal PC's , safari, firefox etc. you normally have some form of CTRL + F. Keyboard combination Which let's you quickly type in a key word to find on a web page.

Safari on iPhone / iPad doesn't have this but if you bookmark the link below into your bookmarks bar and name it something like "Find" then you can search for text on a lengthy webpage easily

< javascript:void%28s%3Dprompt%28%27Find%20text%3A%27%2C%27%27%29%29%3Bs%3D%27%28%27+s+%27%29%27%3Bx%3 Dnew%20RegExp%28s%2C%27gi%27%29%3Brn%3DMath.floor%28Math.random%28%29*100%29%3Brid%3D%27z%27%20+%20r n%3Bb%20%3D%20document.body.innerHTML%3Bb%3Db.replace%28x%2C%27%3Cspan%20name%3D%27%20+%20rid%20+%20 %27%20id%3D%27%20+%20rid%20+%20%27%20style%3D%5C%27color%3A%23000%3Bbackground-color%3Ayellow%3B%20font-weight%3Abold%3B%5C%27%3E%241%3C/span%3E%27%29%3Bvoid%28document.body.innerHTML%3Db%29%3Balert%28%27Found%20%27%20+%20document.getEle mentsByName%28rid%29.length%20+%20%27%20matches.%27%29%3Bwindow.scrollTo%280%2Cdocument.getElementsB yName%28rid%29%5B0%5D.offsetTop%29%3B

>

Edit : found it. Create a new bookmark and paste the text between the < > I posted above into the URL area. You can name your bookmark "Find". This has been extremely useful for me.

What?! This is amazing—or rather... it would be if it worked for me. (;

I tap the bookmark (it's on the bookmarks bar) and nothing happens.

dopipod
May 13, 2010, 01:04 AM

It's pedantic, pompous, pathetic and pointless to endlessly correct people's spelling and grammar on this forum do people not take a moment to think that other forum users might not have such a great grasp of the English language?

The original comment pointing out the liberal mis-use of apostrophes in a post about how to use apostrophes more easily was VERY FUNNY and obviously meant with humour. The comment was taken with good grace by the op. Your comment is valid but inappropriate in this case

hsotnicam8002
May 15, 2010, 05:44 PM
The original comment pointing out the liberal mis-use of apostrophes in a post about how to use apostrophes more easily was VERY FUNNY and obviously meant with humour. The comment was taken with good grace by the op. Your comment is valid but inappropriate in this casePeriod! (Or lack of it in your case! :D;))

Peter Harrison
May 15, 2010, 06:25 PM
Seconding this. I think Apple will bring a set of new gestures to safari in 4.0 including the 3 finger swipe for back and fwd.

Incase you didn't know, and since we're throwing in iPhone tips here that also work on iPad, there is at least one easy way to scroll quickly... but only to the top of the page. It's essentially the same as holding cmd and tapping up on the Mac while using Safari. Only this is actually something built into the iPhone OS and will work in nearly any application when there is a scrollable list of some sort. All you do is tap the status bar at the top of the screen, the bar that has the battery level, signal strength etc on it. Or more accurately, I think you place your finger to that half is on that bar and half just below it. This will instantly scroll to the top of whatever you are looking at, including web pages. Works on iPhone and iPod Touch too, like most of the tips in this thread. No gesture for instantly scrolling to the bottom of a page or list, but at least it's something handy. I use it all the time.

ZBoater
May 15, 2010, 06:30 PM
What?! This is amazing—or rather... it would be if it worked for me. (;

I tap the bookmark (it's on the bookmarks bar) and nothing happens.

Don't worky for me either. :(

ebika
May 15, 2010, 07:24 PM
I've been using the quixapp.com bookmarklet to search on a page. It does some other interesting stuff too.

ngenerator
May 15, 2010, 07:31 PM
It does some other interesting stuff too.

Like? Are we supposed to guess??

Chip NoVaMac
May 15, 2010, 07:42 PM
Could we ask to make this a sticky? :)

ebika
May 15, 2010, 07:51 PM
Like? Are we supposed to guess??

Well, I figured you could just go to the URL I included. Here are the things it can do (not all applicable to the iPad):

Quix Help

Quix is a bookmarklet which opens a prompt, and then responds to commands. When you type*whois, for instance, it’ll take you to a page with the whois of the domain you’re currently on. It can also understand more complex commands, like*gs help, that will make it go to Google, searching the current site for the text “help”.

You can also select a word, and use that as extra input for the command. So for instance, when you select the word dictionary, then open Quix and just type d in the prompt, it’ll take you to a Google define: search for the word dictionary. The same would happen if you had not selected anything and typed*d dictionary directly.

The available groups of commands:

Basic commands
Social commands
WordPress
SEO
Webmaster
Quix
Analytics
URL Shortening
App Integration commands
Mac Integration commands
Basic commands

These are the most basic commands Quix offers, but possibly also the most powerful ones.

Command Description
a Amazon Search
d Google Define a word
dict Google Dictionary for a word
e Email link
f Flickr Search
fc Flickr Commercial use CC Search
find Find in current pagem, usage: 'find test' will highlight all occurrences of 'test' and will take you to the first occurrence. Just 'find' will open a prompt.
g Google Search
gbs Google Blog Search
imdb IMDB Search
img Google Image Search
map Google Maps
gs Search the current site with Google
nf Netflix Search
php PHP Function Search
tr Translate the current page
w Wikipedia Search
mh Mahalo Search
read Readability
wa Wolfram Alpha Search
Social commands

These commands are for dealing with social networks and social sites.

Command Description
db Bookmark the current page in Delicious
fb Share the current page on Facebook
gb Bookmark with Google Bookmarks
tn Tweet the current page
s Twitter Search
t Twitter User
v Vimeo Search
yt YouTube Search
tumblr Share on Tumblr
post Share on Posterous
su Submit to StumbleUpon.
WordPress

Quix was of course created by Yoast, a WordPress addict, and as such, some WordPress functions are of course needed!

Command Description
codex Search the WordPress codex
plugin WordPress plugin search
wp WordPress function search
wpmu WordPress MU function search
wpseek WordPress function lookup with wpseek.com
pluginsvn Take me to the current plugin's SVN
wptool Open a WordPress Toolbar.
SEO

As an SEO you have dozens of things you can check on a site, Quix aims to make those things simpler by adding a large set of easy to remember and use commands for SEO's.

Command Description
archive Check archive.org for the current page
can Check whether the domain canonicalizes its homepage correctly
dmoz Searches DMOZ for the current Domain
gbd Search Google Blogsearch for links to the current Domain
gbu Search Google Blogsearch for links to the current URL
gc Google cache for current page
gi Google Insight for the keyword phrase
gwt Google Webmaster Tools for current domain
h Header info for the current URL
kd Keyword Density check and way more
linkcheck Check the links on the current URL
maj Check strong pages & backlinks for the current domain using Majestic SEO
nofollow Shows all nofollows
rh Replaces all headings with <hx>original content<hx> in a HTML document
seo Does a quick SEO checkup of the current page
seothis Open SEO tabs
snippet See how this page would render with Google Rich Snippets
yd Yahoo Inlinks for current Domain
yl Yahoo Inlinks for current Page
ydir Searches Yahoo! directory for the current Domain
kwte Go to the AdWords External keyword tool
kwc Keyword competition check Google
Webmaster

Webmasters often have dozens of bookmarklets for all sorts of simple checks, Quix replaces a lot of those bookmarklets by giving you simple to remember commands to deal with them.

Command Description
csstoggle Toggle css on and off
firebug Loads Firebug lite.
font Font overlay with FontFriend
host Host info for the current domain.
jquery Check jQuery API documentation.
myip Your current IP & homepage.
p3p Check the P3P policies of the current page.
register Register a domain (f.i. use register test123.com).
window Resize browser (might only work with single windows in some browsers).
ruler Shows a ruler that can be used to measure elements.
sg SelectorGadget: point and click CSS selectors
speed Do a Pingdom speedtest of the current URL.
spriteme Sprite the current page using Spriteme.
vs View source of the current URL.
w3c Validate the current page.
w3css Validate the CSS of the current page.
whois Whois info for the current domain.
xray XRAY the current page.
Quix

In a meta sort of way, Quix provides some commands that should help you to debug Quix.

Command Description
debug Debug Quix
help Help file
quix Takes you to the specified Quix page
yoast Lucky search on Yoast
resize Resize image / video while maintaining aspect ratio
Analytics

Some simple scripts to detect which web analytics program a site is running and to debug Google Analytics

Command Description
da Detect the current sites analytics
ga Analyze Google Analytics settings on the current page
gaexport Make the export function in Google Analytics export way more lines (credits: Arjan Snaterse)
bitlyside Bit.ly Sidebar
URL Shortening

A group of URL shorteners

Command Description
trim Shorten with Tr.im
bitly Shorten with bit.ly
awesm Shorten with awe.sm
googl Shorten with Goo.gl
App Integration commands

Integrate with cool programs on all platforms.

Command Description
evernote Clip current page with Evernote
tubesock Download video with Tubesock
Mac Integration commands

A lot of Mac programs allow easy integration with browsers by allowing for URL's like tweetie: to open them. These commands take full advantage of that.

Command Description
cssedit Preview and extract current page in CSSEdit
mars Start a blogpost in Marsedit about the current URL
pukka Bookmark the current page using Pukka
tt Tweet the current page with Tweetie
snap Snap the current page in LittleSnapper
delibar Bookmark the current page using Delibar
shove Catch current page in Shovebox

ngenerator
May 15, 2010, 07:53 PM
Well, I figured you could just go to the URL I included. Here are the things it can do: Holy s***, huge long list

Wow, very cool, thanks for the info :)

greenlander
May 15, 2010, 07:56 PM
Don't worky for me either. :(

Try follow this to get text search working in Safari on the iPad:

Find Text in Safari on iPad (http://www.theipadguide.com/faq/how-can-i-search-find-text-web-page-ipad-mobile-safari)

I didn't read through all that javascript to determine whether the code blocks are the same or not, but I can say from firsthand experience that the instructions at that link work (using it on my iPad).

ZBoater
May 15, 2010, 08:00 PM
I just bought an app called Find on Page that basically is the JavaScript code. I don't mind paying for it because it is valuable to me, someone put effort into it, and it is very slick. It creates a toolbar at the bottom of the screen to go to the next find. Very very nice.

Zepaw
May 17, 2010, 01:44 PM
When you choose a song and the album art goes full screen swipe your finger to the right to make it go back down.

Macjames
May 17, 2010, 02:28 PM
When you choose a song and the album art goes full screen swipe your finger to the right to make it go back down.

I prefer to double tap, since one tap brings up the controls you can learn where the arrow button is, a slow double tap brings up the menu then minimises the artwork.

Zepaw
May 17, 2010, 04:42 PM
I prefer to double tap, since one tap brings up the controls you can learn where the arrow button is, a slow double tap brings up the menu then minimises the artwork.

The slow part ia what I don't like, I just want to immediately dismiss the screen. I want an option to turn off it going full screen right away.

GigiMars
May 17, 2010, 06:23 PM

Thank you for this tip! It was driving me crazy. Thought it was a bug ... Never thought to check settings. Thx again!!

sashakla
May 17, 2010, 09:06 PM
Thank you for this tip! It was driving me crazy. Thought it was a bug ... Never thought to check settings. Thx again!!

I prefer not to do it, actually. The bar eats the real estate if it's displayed all the time. And if it's turned off, you can still easily invoke it by just tapping in the address field.

ArcAngel66
May 17, 2010, 09:10 PM
Pretty pointless one, but I stumbled across this:

On the home screen, the little "dots" (that indicate how many pages of Apps you have) are actually interactive. Swiping on them will change your current page, tapping on the left side will make you go back, etc etc.

Pointless for me, but a cool little discovery.

vw195
May 17, 2010, 09:53 PM
Dont know if this has been posted, but if you want to view youtube without all the stuttering, fire up atomic browser, and change the user settings to mobile-safari - iphone. This will keep the hd version from always trying to load.

Kibbe17
May 17, 2010, 10:03 PM
Don't be too gentle with it. This device is meant to be used casually. Therre will be more iPads in your future.

+1! this is so true. We alll have to remember this!

xraydoc
May 17, 2010, 10:03 PM

Appears to have been pulled from the iBook store.

VanNess
May 17, 2010, 10:22 PM

Just checked and it's still there. Both on the main iBookstore page as one of the featured selections in the middle of the page and also searching "iPad" gets the iPad user guide as the first hit.

Still free too.

PerfectCr
May 17, 2010, 10:26 PM
I prefer not to do it, actually. The bar eats the real estate if it's displayed all the time. And if it's turned off, you can still easily invoke it by just tapping in the address field.

Yeah I go back and forth on this myself but I preferto have it visible because it saves me clicks and is a visual reminder to visit certain websites I have bookmarked.

CarboysDesire
May 17, 2010, 10:37 PM
Yeah I go back and forth on this myself but I preferto have it visible because it saves me clicks and is a visual reminder to visit certain websites I have bookmarked.

It would be cool if the URL section would only reveal itself if you touch the black line with the time and battery percentage in it. That one wastes much more space than the bookmarks bar and is used much less often by me. The bookmarks bar is used quite a bit.

richpjr
May 18, 2010, 12:52 AM
Just checked and it's still there. Both on the main iBookstore page as one of the featured selections in the middle of the page and also searching "iPad" gets the iPad user guide as the first hit.

Still free too.

The book shows up in the search results, but when I attempt to download it, I get the message "The item you tried to buy is no longer available."

AJsAWiz
May 18, 2010, 01:25 AM

Still free too.

Just Checked . . . Yeah it's there but you can't download it. When you try it comes up no longer available. :(

AJsAWiz
May 18, 2010, 01:28 AM

Yep . . . I wonder why. Can't even buy it if you wanted to :eek:

DeuceDeuce
May 18, 2010, 02:00 AM

Still free too.

When you try and download it it says its no longer available

Peter Harrison
May 18, 2010, 02:33 AM
Maybe they are updating the book. They will probably do that when OS 4 comes out too.

Pared3s
May 20, 2010, 12:51 AM
I'm not sure if this is common knowledge but this is something i discovered myself. If you're in either week or month view and you'd like to add an appointment to a particular day, press that day and then press the plus button. The add event window will automatically open up in that day. For the longest time I was pressing the plus button and then selecting the day in that window. If you use the calendar a lot like me this will save a few button presses.

iFerd
Jun 2, 2010, 01:49 PM
I always double-tap the shift key to activate Caps Lock.
I scanned the following posts for this and didn't find it: Being able to activate Caps Lock by double tapping the shift key requires that you set an option to allow this in Settings.

jcphoenix
Jun 6, 2010, 04:25 PM
This may have been obvious to some people but for those who missed it like me, you can swipe right quickly on a document title (in iBooks, Instapaper, GoodReader, etc) to make the Delete button pop up for that individual piece. Before, I was going up to the menus and clicking the edit button, then the little red stop switch, and then delete so this method saves me a bunch of time.

EssentialParado
Jun 30, 2010, 05:59 PM
Even though I know this isn't a proper function: similar to the swipe up on the comma key, if you swipe up a little on the left side of the 123 key that is located on the right hand side you'll get a quotation mark. Or swipe the right side you can quickly get to the @ key.

Just makes it a bit easier to learn than constantly scanning the symbol keys.

KevinM2
Jul 1, 2010, 04:30 AM
The book shows up in the search results, but when I attempt to download it, I get the message "The item you tried to buy is no longer available."

Looks like you can still download the iPad User Guide for free, I have just downloaded it.

However, oddly, if you just search iPad, it is the first book listed, but if you try and download it from there you get a "no longer available" message, BUT if you click the Top Charts icon at the bottom, it is the second in the Free list, and it downloaded no problem from there.

Must be two different routes to the same book.

Enjoy!

lokerd
Jul 1, 2010, 08:43 AM
if you swipe up a little on the left side of the 123 key that is located on the right hand side you'll get a quotation mark. Or swipe the right side you can quickly get to the @ key.

Interesting find...except I am not getting the @ key.

Here is what I get.

Left 123 Button, Left side: dash -
Left 123 Button, Right side: colon :
Right 123 Button, Left side: quote "
Right 123 Button, Right side: return

This is in an email, main body text. How are you getting the @ key?

Gib
Jul 1, 2010, 09:29 AM
Interesting find...except I am not getting the @ key.

Here is what I get.

Left 123 Button, Left side: dash -
Left 123 Button, Right side: colon :
Right 123 Button, Left side: quote "
Right 123 Button, Right side: return

This is in an email, main body text. How are you getting the @ key?

Sorry guys, I don't think these are the same as the apostrophe ' shortcut... If you press and hold the comma , button you will see a pop-up menu, highlighting an apostrophe ' (similar to .net .org etc. when you hold the .com button). These shortcuts you are talking about do not offer that pop-up.

I think what ends up happening is by pressing the 123 button, you have switched the keyboard into the numeric/symbol keyboard instead of the standard letter keyboard. By sliding you finger up, you are making a selection from the numeric keyboard... for example the dash - on the left side. This just so happens to be where the dash is located on the numeric keyboard, unlike where the apostrophe ' button is on the numeric keyboard.

This could also explain why you were seeing different results... Pages has a different keyboard than Safari, Safari is different than Mail, etc.

lokerd
Jul 1, 2010, 10:53 AM
I think what ends up happening is by pressing the 123 button, you have switched the keyboard into the numeric/symbol keyboard instead of the standard letter keyboard. By sliding you finger up, you are making a selection for the numeric keyboard...

I suspected as much...but it is still cool...because one thing that is annoying about the keyboard is having to switch on, switch off. In fact, I just tried it to keep swiping my finger up and I was able to activate the @ key in email...and that is helpful because as I hit the 123 and slide up and touched where the @ key was going to be then let go...the keyboard stayed in the alpha keys.

EssentialParado
Jul 15, 2010, 11:27 AM
Not sure if I saw is one in here, but the number of fingers you put on the spacebar relates to how many spaces you do. So press it with two fingers for double space, four fingers for quadruple space, etc.

Credit goes to hliewprk for that one.

Perihelion
Jul 15, 2010, 12:03 PM
This is my new favorite thread on the site. Should definitely be a sticky! Thanks guys!

ssdeg7
Jul 24, 2010, 09:14 PM
Screenshots: Hold the home button and click once the upper button (the one used to turn the device off) they will be added to the Photos app. (This feature was added to iPhone with the iPhone 2.0 software update)

Scroll to beginning: When at safari or any document that needs to scroll and you are at the bottom you can simply put your finger in the upper section of the app (where the time is set: 9:44 PM) and the page will start scrolling up really fast until it gets to the top.

Bigger dock: You can add up to six apps to your dock.

Get to the first page: This was something added in the 3.0 update of iPhone OS when you click the home button once it brings you to the first page (Old news I know but maybe some people didn't notice).

End Sentence with Period: In settings you can set things up so that if you press double space it will end your sentence with a period and leave one space. (For example if you did: "Hi 'space' 'space' how are you?", it will end up being: "Hi. How are you?"

Add bookmarks to Home: When viewing a website you like you can click on the + sign and select Add to Home Screen and it will add an icon with a link to your home so you can access the website easily.

If you like my tips i'll keep them coming, hope they help.

itoddm
Jul 24, 2010, 10:00 PM

There is a fast way to scroll up. Touch the bar at the top where the time is displayed and hold it there and the screen will zoom back to the top

Neous
Jul 25, 2010, 01:26 AM
You can customize the triple click to switch to toggle white on black (switch from 'day' to 'night' mode) under Settings > General > Accessibility. Great feature for reading or browsing at night with dim or no lighting--much easier on the eyes.

thamks
I can enjoy iBooks to it's fullest now that I got introduced to night and day mode

Dazzler2409
Jul 25, 2010, 03:08 AM
Some great tips and tricks here many of which new to me. One of my favourites is the hidden bullet point soft key.

Press and hold '-' and then a subset appears (much like the .com button hold) and you then have access to '—' & '•'

• I like bullet points
• They are useful in notes app's
• I didn't know they where hidden and was disappointed thinking I had no bullets

Example above created using iPad BTW

Dazzler2409
Jul 25, 2010, 03:12 AM
It was mentioned that the screen shot (power & home button) would save to photo album in wrong orientation.

I use Zagg Photopad to rotate the image to preferred orientation and crop in one go.

EssentialParado
Jul 25, 2010, 07:21 AM
There is a fast way to scroll up. Touch the bar at the top where the time is displayed and hold it there and the screen will zoom back to the top

I hope they add something to Safari like the magnifying glass quick scroll feature in Pages.

Dabbert
Jul 27, 2010, 07:21 AM
You can now edit any iTunes playlist within the iPod app.

When you have a playlist pulled up an edit button appears in the top right hand side of the window with all the songs just under the search box. I haven't used it at all but just noticed it. I've never seen this mentioned or highlighted before.

Hi, I must be doing something wrong because I don't see it. Can you walk me through it in more detail? I have the related problem that the order of the songs in my playlists is the same on all our iPods as on the PowerMac, but is different on the iPad. I followed a tip from another thread but that didn't work either. Is mine a one-off iPad or... ?

EDIT: I just figured out the edit of playlists works on regular ones, not on smart lists (duh). But I still cannot get my songs in the right order (sorted by date added).

Nicklaus
Jul 31, 2010, 10:21 PM
This thread was just featured on iPad today the new iPad show on TWIT. :)

EssentialParado
Aug 1, 2010, 08:49 AM
This thread was just featured on iPad today the new iPad show on TWIT. :)

Heh, just watched it. They highlight a few of the tips posted. You can watch the show here: http://twit.tv/ipt

Antaios
Aug 1, 2010, 09:22 AM

unless you have the karmasutra app!!

lillianad
Aug 1, 2010, 01:21 PM
Some great tips and tricks here many of which new to me. One of my favourites is the hidden bullet point soft key.

Press and hold '-' and then a subset appears (much like the .com button hold) and you then have access to '—' & '•'

In line with the above, for the other shortcuts in the 123 keypad, press and hold:
. to get . or …
? to get ? or Ώ
! to get ! or ‘
' to get ‘ or ' or ’
" to get » or « or ” or " or “ or „
& to get & or §
$ to get ₩ or £ or $ or € or ₯

Aug 1, 2010, 01:33 PM
Great tips!

Ksane
Aug 1, 2010, 08:07 PM
Awesome, no I did NOT know that-even though your post is 3 months old :-)

spinedoc77
Aug 1, 2010, 09:09 PM
Heh, just watched it. They highlight a few of the tips posted. You can watch the show here: http://twit.tv/ipt

Holy crap you just made my year. I didn't know they were doing a video blog, and with sarah lane to boot! iPad compatible as well, I'm actually listening to it on another tab on Atomic, and I can just flip over to the tab and watch it!

Ksane
Aug 1, 2010, 09:12 PM
I was a little surprised no one mentioned this one, but maybe most don't like to listen to live radio in the background as much as I do.
Anyway-you can open up any live/streaming radio station in Safari and then close Safari while it's playing and go surf the web in any other browser (if Safari isn't your favorite browser) or go read mail or play games or whatever and the radio station continues to play in the background no matter what you do even though Safari is closed.
I'm certainly not waiting on multi-tasking at all. My iPad multi-tasks just fine for me :-)
PS live365 is the station I listen to but others said their stations work, too.

Hrothgar
Aug 2, 2010, 03:45 PM
Is there a reason Apple doesn't post these little instructions, or is half the fun of buying an apple product not knowing how to use it?

schreibs1
Aug 11, 2010, 12:21 AM
Thanks for all of the IPAD tips!
Question: When I hold down the - key, how do I choose the bullet option?
Tip: When deleting a large amount of text, hold down the backspace key and it will start deleting words instead of individual letters.
Tip: If you need accent marks and/or special characters, hold the vowel or consonant and several choices will appear.

Ksane
Aug 11, 2010, 12:36 AM
Thanks for all of the IPAD tips!
Question: When I hold down the - key, how do I choose the bullet option?
Tip: When deleting a large amount of text, hold down the backspace key and it will start deleting words instead of individual letters.
Tip: If you need accent marks and/or special characters, hold the vowel or consonant and several choices will appear.

You just keep holding your finger down and slide over to the bullet then release.
Also-instead of holding down the backspace key......if you want to select or delete a sentence /paragraph/whatever, hold you finger on just one of the words and choose 'select' not 'select all'. Then grab the little blue dot and drag it back or forward up or down to select whichever words you want. Then you can cut copy paste or delete them.

EssentialParado
Aug 11, 2010, 12:16 PM
You just keep holding your finger down and slide over to the bullet then release.
Also-instead of holding down the backspace key......if you want to select or delete a sentence /paragraph/whatever, hold you finger on just one of the words and choose 'select' not 'select all'. Then grab the little blue dot and drag it back or forward up or down to select whichever words you want. Then you can cut copy paste or delete them.

You can also double tap a word to highlight it, and furthermore, if you hold down the second tap you can drag to the left or right to automatically start highlighting.

I think a triple tap in Pages selects the whole sentence, which I wish would get implemented to the browsers too! Along with my aforementioned magnifying glass pop-over.

saberahul
Aug 18, 2010, 09:11 PM
Never saw this posted anywhere and discovered it by accident... if it's already posted then ignore this post.

If you're typing something and shake the iPad, a pop up comes up saying "Undo Typing" or "Cancel."

Also, while an app is downloading and showing "Loading" and the progress bar, you can pause the download by tapping on the icon once.

JohnSFO
Aug 19, 2010, 04:27 PM
Never saw this posted anywhere and discovered it by accident... if it's already posted then ignore this post.

If you're typing something and shake the iPad, a pop up comes up saying "Undo Typing" or "Cancel."

Also, while an app is downloading and showing "Loading" and the progress bar, you can pause the download by tapping on the icon once.

The shake the iPad trick is cool! I love how the message zips in from the side and bounces back into place. It's the little things that impress.

lokerd
Aug 19, 2010, 10:08 PM
The shake the iPad trick is cool! I love how the message zips in from the side and bounces back into place. It's the little things that impress.

Yeah, but why on earth they didn't put a redo in place is beyond me! I am scared of undo...lost too much stuff thinking it might undo a word or two...not an entire paragraph! Undo on the iPad has to be one of the worst pet peeves of mine...almost as bad as the pp for the lack of a fwd delete or lack of arrow keys.

jennyap
Aug 20, 2010, 09:02 AM
In line with the above, for the other shortcuts in the 123 keypad, press and hold:
. to get . or …
? to get ? or Ώ
! to get ! or ‘
' to get ‘ or ' or ’
" to get » or « or ” or " or “ or „
& to get & or §
$ to get ₩ or £ or $ or € or ₯

Despite having owned a Touch for well over a year, I had no idea about any of the soft key shortcuts. What a dumbass. These are awesome - especially the apostrophe.

Yeah, but why on earth they didn't put a redo in place is beyond me! I am scared of undo...lost too much stuff thinking it might undo a word or two...not an entire paragraph! Undo on the iPad has to be one of the worst pet peeves of mine...almost as bad as the pp for the lack of a fwd delete or lack of arrow keys.

This was new to me too. I just tested it on my Touch (haven't got the iPad with me) and it works for that as well. And (assuming they're the same) there IS a redo. Just shake again after undoing, and it brings up the option to redo :D

jpmfan
Aug 20, 2010, 11:39 AM
most likely its been covered already but never know what string of words to use to find it.

If you want to listen to a movie while you work but dont want the video to play and drain that battery. if you start the movie/video playing and then lock the screen. the video will stop playing but if you do the home double press, the media controls pop up and you can then resume playing of the video's audio track.

found it today and tested it to see if there is a battery difference between lock screen with sound and watching the video normally, and there is less battery drain (as expected) with the lock screen audio method.

b.c.
Aug 20, 2010, 12:18 PM
this is my favorite iPhone/iPad keyboard speedy typing tip:

if you're typing in the alpha keyboard and quickly want to type just a SINGLE numeric character or punctuation mark not found on the main alpha keyboard, and then return to typing alpha characters, you can do this in 1 stroke instead of 3:

- press and HOLD the .?123 key and without releasing it, drag your finger to the number/punctuation you want. then release and it types your numeral and you're back to the alpha keyboard automatically, in just one stroke. this saves manually switching away and back to the alpha keyboard (2 fewer keystrokes)

the same thing works in reverse, if you're in the numeric keyboard mode and want to type a single alpha character, just press and hold the ABC key, drag and release.

for a bunch of other keyboard shortcut typing tips - see:

http://www.labnol.org/software/keyboard-typing-shortcuts-for-iphone-ipad/13564/

for example,

- press and hold vowels to get accents, umlauts and other special versions of those characters e.g. ι Ι λ φ υ ό ϋ ε Γ (Note: works for capitals too, just press Shift then hold the vowel). some consonants have special versions too, like ρ η - same trick, just tap and hold

- press and hold $ key to get other currency symbols, e.g. £ ₯ €

- press and hold the period key when typing an email address in Mail, and you get a popup for common top level domains (.com .net .edu .org, etc)

Diane B
Aug 20, 2010, 12:34 PM
Wow than didn't know that, now I gotta figure out how to scroll down
I haven't found a way. In forums with long threads it would be nice. In Atomic browser its easier to scroll but otherwise I prefer Safari.

blokey
Aug 20, 2010, 01:03 PM

Shake again after you undo; redo comes up this time.

akdj
Aug 20, 2010, 06:20 PM
This may be widely known...but I just, finally figured it out after dealing with fat fingers on my iphones and now my ipad...

In notes, or other text based apps...you can hold your finger down until the magnifying glass pops up...then, with much more precision, you can manipulate the cursor to exactly where you want it.

This helps when you need to go back and make a correction in the middle of a sentence, word, or even a paragraph...instead of trying to turn your finger to make it as skinny as possible to get between the letters:)

This is an excellent thread. Weird how I just bumped in to it. Thanks everyone for sharing.

I like the comment about Apple not telling us...kinda like a treasure hunt. Finding different gems is kinda cool. It does look like things have slowed down a bit...with some redundancy in the last couple pages. Has everything been discovered??? LOL...I was bummed to come to the end of this thread:)

J

funkyc
Aug 24, 2010, 01:56 AM
i have the fattest fingers of anyone i know but have never had a problem getting the cursor anywhere i want to edit words.

just click somewhere nearby to where u want it (can usually click the nearest space between words) and then u can fine tune it by sliding ur finger to the desired spot...

but thanks for the magnifying glass tip. that could come in handy too :)

i agree, some great tips in here, although many of them are carried over from the iphone days, it was nice to be reminded that there are easier ways to do things :cool:

phpmaven
Aug 24, 2010, 01:48 PM
nuked

blokey
Aug 30, 2010, 03:26 PM
Desperately wanting to use eTextbooks on your iPad but frustrated with the lack of support of eTextbooks in app stores?

Go to the publisher's website and buy the eTextbook from their website and use a RDP app (such as Jump Desktop) to remotely connect to your computer with your iPad accessing your eTextbook from your home computer.

I know this isn't the perfect workaround but it makes it possible to read textbooks that aren't available through iBooks, Kindle, Inkling, etc. It also makes sure that all of your notes are the same so you don't have to worry about constantly synching your notes.

Just make sure you don't get any ol' RDP app as you'll want to make sure you can get one where you can adjust the resolution or else the text may look blurry. Jump Desktop works great for this.

vastoholic
Aug 30, 2010, 04:45 PM

Holy crap I never realized it saved both orientations. I thought it would keep auto adjusting by itself.

PR.
Aug 31, 2010, 07:05 AM
Does anyone have issues with the headphone/speaker volumes?

When on headphones I turn it up to about 90% but when I pull out the headphones the speakers are at 90% as well. If I use the rocker to lower the volume for the speakers it's already showing as 10% and the sound volume is corrected.

ceefax
Sep 1, 2010, 06:55 AM
Yeah i had a similar problem with headphones using the iRig.

A lot of people were complaining about the sound being very quiet when using iRig. Counting me as one of them. Then i noticed that my speaker setting where set low and that changing my headphone volume using the control on the cord didnt alter them.

As soon as i turned up my speakers, THEN plugged in headphones the sound level of playing the guitar with iRig was pretty good. Was weird as im guessing they should be linked.

DaWeav
Sep 12, 2010, 10:56 PM
most likely its been covered already but never know what string of words to use to find it.

If you want to listen to a movie while you work but dont want the video to play and drain that battery. if you start the movie/video playing and then lock the screen. the video will stop playing but if you do the home double press, the media controls pop up and you can then resume playing of the video's audio track.

found it today and tested it to see if there is a battery difference between lock screen with sound and watching the video normally, and there is less battery drain (as expected) with the lock screen audio method.

Also, since the Photo app seems to only play one song instead of an entire playlist, if you have the Picture Frame setup in settings, when on the lock-screen you can double-tap the home screen as jpmfan described, and start playing your last music playlist from the iPod app, then you can tap the Picture Frame icon next to the slider to play playlist music while viewing your pictures.

DaWeav
Sep 12, 2010, 11:01 PM
A lot of post throughout this thread mention the 'iPad User Guide' found in the iBooks app. I found two additional 'FREE' iPad books in the iBook app. One is titled, "iPad Starter Guide" and another book is titled, "iPad Basics".

DaWeav
Sep 12, 2010, 11:50 PM
Here's a trick for those small 'iPhone' only rendered apps on the iPad to zoom them at any zoomed magnification level instead of being restricted to 2x only mode.

1) Goto the iPad Settings
2) Under General select the Accessibility settings
3) Select the 'ZOOM' setting
4) Move the slider to 'ON', AND please read the additional instructions included on the zoom mode page like how to move the zoomed image around the screen for better centering. However, the primary feature is that you can adjust the level of zoom magnification by double tapping the screen and dragging up for more zoom or down for less zoom.

Note: The iPhone rendered app up/down orientation does matter when dragging up or down during zooming.

Now, back out and launch an iPhone only app, but instead of pressing the '2x' icon, use 'three-fingers' and 'double tap' the center of the screen. The initial default first time zoom magnification appears to be '1.5x', but you can now adjust it from as low as 1x to something even more zoomy'r than 2x if you desire.

Just remember to do the 'three-finger' 'double-tap' salute to exit 'zoom' mode and return the screen to normal viewing. This feature also remembers the last used zoom setting you were using as well.

ali.issa
Sep 14, 2010, 02:57 AM
Great info

thebleeptruth
Sep 14, 2010, 12:30 PM
Great long list of tips! Would appreciate if someone could compile and post maybe the 20 best tips so far as this thread is already long. But anyway, great job everyone for all the contributions. I learned a lot.

zkarj
Sep 19, 2010, 05:48 AM
In the photos app, to temporarily get around those incorrectly rotated screen captures, use two fingers to pinch/zoom AND ROTATE the image! Shame it can't be made to stay rotated.

EssentialParado
Sep 19, 2010, 07:40 AM
In the photos app, to temporarily get around those incorrectly rotated screen captures, use two fingers to pinch/zoom AND ROTATE the image! Shame it can't be made to stay rotated.

It's a shame, and I'm surprised it still isn't fixed in iOS 4.2, but you can download Photoshop Express free on the App store and then use that to rotate and re-save screenshots.

Nishi100
Sep 19, 2010, 07:42 AM
It's a shame, and I'm surprised it still isn't fixed in iOS 4.2, but you can download Photoshop Express free on the App store and then use that to rotate and re-save screenshots.

Yer, there is a rotate button in the photo's app, in 4.2.

macwheels
Sep 19, 2010, 03:10 PM

Oh yay, thanks for telling us! I've been wanting this for a looong time, so it's a relief to know it's coming. :D (Does the rotate button actually save the image in the camera roll, or album, in its new orientation? or is it just for viewing?... I sure hope it will save pics as rotated -- of course!)

Tom G.
Sep 19, 2010, 05:49 PM
For those who need it, perhaps students etc, the "degree" symbol for temperature is available if you press and hold the zero key.

You can now easily type 50° F if you need to.

Thanks for all the tips.

prot0type
Sep 29, 2010, 10:52 PM
So, can we get this stickied or what? :)

Peace
Sep 30, 2010, 03:39 PM
So, can we get this stickied or what? :)

Notice this is in the new iPad Tips,Help and Troubleshooting sub-forum. It was created in order to help members out. This single thread includes posts that include tips,help and troubleshooting.

Please. If you have a tip. Start a thread.
If you have a problem. Start a thread.
If you have a troubleshooting problem. Start a thread.
This way we can be more specific rather than have one long thread.

Ok ? :)

Thanks and feel free to start a new thread if you have tips,need help or troubleshooting.

EssentialParado
Oct 1, 2010, 07:18 AM
Now all we need is a hero-like figure to appear from the underworlds of Macrumors and compile every single tip into one long post. Which could then, hopefully, be edited into the original post. Only time can tell if someone will step forward.

Please. If you have a tip. Start a thread.
If you have a problem. Start a thread.
If you have a troubleshooting problem. Start a thread.
This way we can be more specific rather than have one long thread.
I understand that would keep it easier in some ways, but do you think a single compiled list of tips may also be somewhat useful for occasional forum visitors, brand new members, or even random Google searchers, in terms of finding all known iPad tips in one place? I'm not too sure which is more beneficial personally, I only visit the forum occasionally, so I think you'd need to decide that one yourself, sir. :)

Peace
Oct 1, 2010, 11:15 AM
Now all we need is a hero-like figure to appear from the underworlds of Macrumors and compile every single tip into one long post. Which could then, hopefully, be edited into the original post. Only time can tell if someone will step forward.

I understand that would keep it easier in some ways, but do you think a single compiled list of tips may also be somewhat useful for occasional forum visitors, brand new members, or even random Google searchers, in terms of finding all known iPad tips in one place? I'm not too sure which is more beneficial personally, I only visit the forum occasionally, so I think you'd need to decide that one yourself, sir. :)

That's why I made this a sticky. Input is always welcome but lets not throw this thread off-topic.

Why don't you guys start a HOWTO type thread and if it becomes useful I'll sticky that too.

Thanks !

carry on.

leonstafford
Oct 10, 2010, 07:19 PM
For those who need it, perhaps students etc, the "degree" symbol for temperature is available if you press and hold the zero key.

You can now easily type 50° F if you need to.

Thanks for all the tips.

Awesome, thanks! Was looking for this not for temperature, but degree of angles.

AAPLaday
Oct 12, 2010, 05:13 PM
Hey great thread. Keep it up guys :D

emreturkeli
Oct 25, 2010, 04:50 AM
Hi Guys,

This is my first post in the Forum. I did that list for myself, but I think it's a good summary, and it's allready been asked by lots of you... :cool:

• Go to the iBookstore, search for "iPad" You should see Apple's manual for the iPad as a free book. if you just search iPad, it is the first book listed, but if you try and download it from there you get a "no longer available" message, BUT if you click the Top Charts icon at the bottom, it is the second in the Free list, and it downloaded no problem from there. I found two additional 'FREE' iPad books in the iBook app. One is titled, "iPad Starter Guide" and another book is titled, "iPad Basics".
• You can add up to six apps to your dock.
• YouTube app, you can pinch or "un"pinch on the video to bring it full screen and back
• While the video is playing on the web page, you can use the "pinch out" gesture to take the video full screen and the opposite to put it back small on the page again.
• In Photos - you unpinch to explode your photos - when you are ON a single photo you can pinch down and it will go back to that group of photos. Do it again and it goes back to all your groups.
• Setting up the wallpapers, you can pinch/zoom and pan them around to get them centered just how you like...the trick is, if you then rotate the system, you can do it again for the other orientation, and it remembers both.
• Holding the volume down button for 2 seconds acts as a mute switch.
• If an app is unresponsive hold the lock button until you see the power slider and then let go and hold the home to force quit the app. Also works if app keeps crashing on launch.
• Swiping up on the comma/exclamation softkey automatically inserts the apostrophe for you.
• Swipe up a little on the left side of the 123 key that is located on the right hand side you'll get a quotation mark.
• Swipe the right side you can quickly get to the @ key.
• If you hold the .COM button down .NET, .ORG, ect will show up.
• Press and hold '-' and then a subset appears (much like the .com button hold) and you then have access to '—' & '•'
• Press home + sleep button for screenshot. Shows up in photos.
• Both shift keys simultaneously = Caps LOCK
• If ipad locks up = home key and power key for 30 secs resets it.
• Touching the bar at the top (with time, battery etc) while looking at any scrollabl content anywhere on the iPad scrolls straight to the top of the page
• Note that MobileMe keeps bookmarks synced between multiple computers, ipads, iPhones, etc. using Safari.
• Xmarks keeps bookmarks synced between Safari, Firefox, IE.
• Some free cloud back-ups for iPad/iPhone: Google sync for email, contacts and calendars (all push capable) and simplenotesapp.com for notes. Makes it super easy switching platforms too.
• Holding your finger on a location for 2 seconds in Maps will drop a purple pin on it. Pressing the red icon in the pin's menu will turn on Google Street View.
• Open the iBook app. When the shelves and books appear, drag the shelves down as far as they will go. You'll see the Apple logo carved on the wall.
• When you're in Maps, Tap twice the location circle at the top, it turns into compass mode for the map
• Safari on iPhone / iPad doesn't have this but if you bookmark the link below into your bookmarks bar and name it something like "Find" then you can search for text on a lengthy webpage easily. Instructions are here: http://www.theipadguide.com/faq/how-can-i-search-find-text-web-page-ipad-mobile-safari
• If you're typing something and shake the iPad, a pop up comes up saying "Undo Typing" or "Cancel." Just shake again after undoing, and it brings up the option to redo.
• If you want to listen to a movie while you work but dont want the video to play and drain that battery. if you start the movie/video playing and then lock the screen. the video will stop playing but if you do the home double press, the media controls pop up and you can then resume playing of the video's audio track.
• The "degree" symbol for temperature is available if you press and hold the zero key.
• Want to download docs and create file folders = use GoodReader
• to download a web pdf (for example) simply type a 'g' in front of the http and Goodreader will automatically download it.
• If you have Pages, you can download docs from websites by holding down the link and open in a new page. It will ask if you want Pages to open it and it will download straight to Pages.
• In Keynote while playing a slide show (full screen) if you tap and hold for a few seconds you get a laser pointer.

EssentialParado
Oct 26, 2010, 06:57 AM
GREAT job, Emre!

Now we just need to add the unmentioned tip that you can scroll a web text box (e.g., when replying on a forum, or making a long blog post) by gently swiping with two fingers.

If a moderator doesn't mind, maybe we can have this list incorporated into the first post for all new members?

Again- great job, Emre. :)

emreturkeli
Oct 27, 2010, 04:46 AM
GREAT job, Emre!

Now we just need to add the unmentioned tip that you can scroll a web text box (e.g., when replying on a forum, or making a long blog post) by gently swiping with two fingers.

If a moderator doesn't mind, maybe we can have this list incorporated into the first post for all new members?

Again- great job, Emre. :)

Your Welcome Guys... It was just copy paste... :)

By the way, my baby finallay arrived last night... I'm now in the process of filling it up with apps.. It's not as easy as it seems :confused: too many options... too much confusion.. It came with the 3.2.2, I don't want to mess with limerae (whatever), so I'm gonna use it until the genuine jailbreakme.com release my version... and actually use this time to understand if I really need JB or not...

I got an amazing amount of support just by reading this forum guys, and thanks a lot for this nice and quality environment... :o

ntrigue
Nov 4, 2010, 09:48 PM
Setting up the wallpapers, you can pinch/zoom and pan them around to get them centered just how you like...the trick is, if you then rotate the system, you can do it again for the other orientation, and it remembers both.

I had no clue. Thanks!

EssentialParado
Nov 5, 2010, 09:32 AM
I'm not sure where this idea came from, but you can't set up wallpapers in this way. If you align it in portrait then switch to landscape and realign it, you'll have lost the alignment in portrait and vice versa. I think this is a mistake.

MacMane
Nov 8, 2010, 02:28 PM
Dont know if anyone posted this previously but my iPhone 2g can be used as a capacitive stylus to my iPad. It just works for some reason.

lokerd
Nov 8, 2010, 08:47 PM
Dont know if anyone posted this previously but my iPhone 2g can be used as a capacitive stylus to my iPad. It just works for some reason.

How do you set it up? And in what capacity do you use the setup?

Thanks!

MacMane
Nov 9, 2010, 02:10 AM
How do you set it up? And in what capacity do you use the setup?

Thanks!

I've read articles about people using strange things as a capacitve stylus, such as a sausage or hot dog in some places, and as weird as it sounds, I sometimes jus touch the screen with different things to see if the capacitve screen detects it because I don't know exactly how a capacitve screen detects fingers and not metal ( I am guessing it has something to do with heat) I will check wikipedia in a sec, but my iPhone 2g was laying on my iPad and the screen was zooming in and out, so I attempted to scroll down the page using a corner of the phone and it just works. Probably not very useful but interesting to a weirdo like myself. I can scroll and click on things with the corner of my iPhone 2g :cool:

b0blndsy
Nov 9, 2010, 11:23 AM
Hi All,

Thanks for nice tips. I liked this thread. Here is one tip that can be helpful if anyone want to change the default search engine. Say if you want to use yahoo then go to Settings>Safari>Search Engine and change the search engine to yahoo.

aepple
Nov 23, 2010, 04:33 PM
Great Tips... thanks everyone.

correct spelling by tapping the space when the correct word appears, does anyone know of a way, or App that gives definitions on selected highlighted words.

MacDebbie
Dec 2, 2010, 08:48 PM

Ha, well maybe your mistake was that you didn't buy her an Ipad too! Don't you have a nightstand on BOTH sides of the bed......

chiragm
Dec 4, 2010, 06:31 AM
I'm sure plenty of you know this but for those who don't, tapping the space bar twice inserts a full stop..

Piggie
Dec 4, 2010, 08:29 AM

I must be stupid as I can't see this button :confused:

oli356
Dec 4, 2010, 03:10 PM
I'm sure plenty of you know this but for those who don't, tapping the space bar twice inserts a full stop..
Didn't know that lol, though been using iOS for years!

1969cj5
Dec 11, 2010, 01:28 PM
Yes, I saw someone complained that Apple messed up by putting the headphone jack at the top rather than at the bottom, so that the cord gets in the way when he uses his iPad in portrait mode. You can rotate the iPad to whatever position you want, so if you want the jack at the bottom, just rotate to the bottom.

Bluetooth headphones

myMacRumors
Dec 12, 2010, 03:20 PM
There are many Facemarks by single keystroke. Some examples entered on iPad (also iOS devices):

(^○^)
(@_@)
(⌒▽⌒)
(*☻-☻*)
(^◇^)
ヾ(@⌒ー⌒@)ノ
(^O^☆♪
!(◎_◎;)

The setup is iPad Settings>General>Keyboard>International Keyboards:
Add Chinese Traditional (Zhuyin) or Chinese Traditional (Pinyin).
On the native keyboard hold the "globe" icon and slide to CT Zhuyin or CT Pinyin.
Tap .?123 and then tap ^_^ will give many Facemarks by single keystrokes.

rdowns
Dec 12, 2010, 04:33 PM
There are many Facemarks by single keystroke. Some examples entered on iPad (also iOS devices):

(^○^)
(@_@)
(⌒▽⌒)
(*☻-☻*)
(^◇^)
ヾ(@⌒ー⌒@)ノ
(^O^☆♪
!(◎_◎;)

The setup is iPad Settings>General>Keyboard>International Keyboards:
Add Chinese Traditional (Zhuyin) or Chinese Traditional (Pinyin).
On the native keyboard hold the "globe" icon and slide to CT Zhuyin or CT Pinyin.
Tap .?123 and then tap ^_^ will give many Facemarks by single keystrokes.

Ah! Yeah. It's just we're putting new coversheets on all the TPS reports before they go out now. So if you could go ahead and try to remember to do that from now on, that'd be great. All right!

motorwaymike
Dec 18, 2010, 04:24 AM
Hi All,
My son's Ipad is locked due to too many incorrect code entries. I have spent hours on my own Ipad to try to find out how to unlock it and restore the factory settings - including sending the Serial No, and asking Apple for a call which never came and they don't reply to mine - so would be very grateful if anyone can help.
Thanks.

aepple
Dec 19, 2010, 05:45 AM
hi all,
my son's ipad is locked due to too many incorrect code entries. I have spent hours on my own ipad to try to find out how to unlock it and restore the factory settings - including sending the serial no, and asking apple for a call which never came and they don't reply to mine - so would be very grateful if anyone can help.
Thanks.

1800-apl-care

Groundhog66
Dec 28, 2010, 12:16 PM
I learned quite a bit today, thank you all for your contributions.

tobasco27
Dec 30, 2010, 11:16 PM
Just subscribing so that I can follow the cool tips here!

Keep 'em com in'!

daengpalopo
Jan 4, 2011, 07:59 AM
Nice thread.. Ty for share

arenajhonson
Jan 10, 2011, 05:23 PM
Still awaiting delivery of my iPad, but used an iPhone for ages. The default setting for double-click the home button are favorites for quick dial. What makes the iPad? IPhone takes you triple click in the Spotlight search feature, etc..

Danny2011
Jan 15, 2011, 08:18 PM
Hey i hyst got my iPad keyboard today!! It simplifies the ipad so much more it is almost like having a laptop. I can do anything i want from it, lock the screen play my ipod while having my photos in gallery mode all with two buttons. Its really neat! This is a MUST for any iPad user

MacBill
Jan 22, 2011, 06:27 PM
When you're on the home page, click start button or scroll left. Search either from there. I bet this has been posted, but I didn't see it.
By the way, can someone tell me how to subscribe to this thread?

MacBill
Jan 23, 2011, 12:41 PM
I like to snap pics on the map and email them, but I am having trouble getting the pics to save in lanscape mode. Porttrait sucks on the map because it makes everything smaller. Any pointers? I tried locking the orientation, but it makes no difference.
Thanks in advance guys

EssentialParado
Jan 24, 2011, 08:32 AM
When you're on the home page, click start button or scroll left. Search either from there. I bet this has been posted, but I didn't see it.
By the way, can someone tell me how to subscribe to this thread?

That's a good one, didn't know that!

To subscribe. go to the top of the page and click thread tools.

I like to snap pics on the map and email them, but I am having trouble getting the pics to save in lanscape mode. Porttrait sucks on the map because it makes everything smaller. Any pointers? I tried locking the orientation, but it makes no difference.
Thanks in advance guys

Apple have yet to fix the orientation of screenshots. What you can do is download Photoshop lite for free from the app store, and when you want to rotate a picture: import it, rotate, then save it.

EazyWeazy3
Jan 24, 2011, 07:17 PM
Good stuff in here.

TY.

WendiG
Jan 30, 2011, 11:58 PM
Do you like a dare?
How do you delete B'Dates from your iPad calendar?

Anyone up to this dare???

eric3gar
Jan 31, 2011, 03:32 PM
I am new to this forum, so please excuse me if I am inappropriately asking this question. I have an iPad in which I download a weekly magazine. I want to know how to delete the past few weeks of magazine downloads that are in my library. Any suggestions? Thanks.
eric3gar

eric3gar
Feb 2, 2011, 09:24 AM
Does anybody know how to delete unwanted old magazine downloads? Thanks

DaWeav
Feb 25, 2011, 09:05 AM
Well, I found a way to get rid of the 'other data' since the 'other data' keeps growing and growing other than performing a backup/reset/restore. Here is what I did which has worked on mine and a few other people's iPads who have tried it.

I plug my iPad into the computer and a second or two after the 'Sync in Progress' appears on the iPad, I pull the cable connecting the iPad to the computer. Then when I plug the iPad back into the computer, iTunes magically reset the 'Other Data'.

I'm using Windows Vista with iTunes 10.1.2 and iPad OS 4.2.1.

class77
Feb 26, 2011, 04:39 AM
Does anybody know how to delete unwanted old magazine downloads? Thanks

Don't know if this works for all magazines. To delete old People issues, go to "library", press and hold the issue you want to delete. An X will appear in the top left hand corner of that magazine cover(just like when you delete and app) and click the X. Takes a second for the content to be deleted and the cover is grayed out. Easy!

dotspc
Mar 3, 2011, 09:12 AM
Does anyone know how to lock (sleep) the ipad with a bluetooth keyboard? I have the rocketfish icapsule and it is difficult to reach the sleep button when it is in the case.

Delehe
Mar 22, 2011, 12:13 AM

Here Here I agree!k

Medium Rare
Apr 4, 2011, 01:04 PM
I was a little surprised no one mentioned this one, but maybe most don't like to listen to live radio in the background as much as I do.
Anyway-you can open up any live/streaming radio station in Safari and then close Safari while it's playing and go surf the web in any other browser (if Safari isn't your favorite browser) or go read mail or play games or whatever and the radio station continues to play in the background no matter what you do even though Safari is closed.
I'm certainly not waiting on multi-tasking at all. My iPad multi-tasks just fine for me :-)
PS live365 is the station I listen to but others said their stations work, too.

Just tried this. No Go, it says I need to load Flash :confused:

gszedlak
Apr 5, 2011, 03:07 AM
hey,
just a fast little question: Do i loose apps/settings if i redsn0w on 4.3.1 ipad?

sorry if it's offtopic

kathpdx
Apr 13, 2011, 11:43 AM
Since virtually this entire thread predates the iPad2, do all / some / most of the tips and tricks and ideas posted here apply equally?? I am about to be receiving my long-awaited iPad2, and I would love to have the right resource for getting up to speed on the iPad unique isms! :cool:

Thank you!!

mbhebsgaard
Apr 17, 2011, 03:39 AM

I really like this - thanks.

anouj
Apr 18, 2011, 01:19 AM
Since virtually this entire thread predates the iPad2, do all / some / most of the tips and tricks and ideas posted here apply equally?? I am about to be receiving my long-awaited iPad2, and I would love to have the right resource for getting up to speed on the iPad unique isms! :cool:

Thank you!!

Yep :D

stayclassy
Apr 20, 2011, 07:25 PM
Just figured this out..

If you double-press the home button when your ipad2 is locked, it will bring up your music controls/album art (still while locked)

physicsguy13
Apr 23, 2011, 10:40 PM
Do you like a dare?
How do you delete B'Dates from your iPad calendar?

Anyone up to this dare???

You can either delete the birthday from each of your contacts or open the calendar, click the calendars button in the top left, and uncheck birthdays.