Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phishindsn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2009
OK after realizing only "certain USB" will provide a charge to the iPad, does anyone else feel the design of the included charger is a little lacking.

I mean couldn't they at least made the cord a little longer say a foot or two, I just feel weird having to leave my iPad close to the ground near a wall socket to charge. I mean all apple laptops include an extension with their power supplies to prevent this from happening. Something about leaving a large LCD screen close to walking on level just seems a little scary to me.

Mitchrapp

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2010
OK after realizing only "certain USB" will provide a charge to the iPad, does anyone else feel the design of the included charger is a little lacking.

I mean couldn't they at least made the cord a little longer say a foot or two, I just feel weird having to leave my iPad close to the ground near a wall socket to charge. I mean all apple laptops include an extension with their power supplies to prevent this from happening. Something about leaving a large LCD screen close to walking on level just seems a little scary to me.

Longer cord would be the ticket.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
Why not just use an extension cord? Cheap and readily available if you dont have one..

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Hopefully someone will invent an iDevice to make up for this short coming.

I have an old buddy from College, named TJ Extension who is working on something that might one day fit the bill for this. Don't hold me to it though, he is a bit flakey, and he always wears green or brown. It is weird.

phishindsn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2009
I realize an extension cord is a viable solution but honestly who wants to carry an extension cord around when traveling? I have enough stuff that TSA has to dig through when I travel...now I need to pack an extension cord? I guess I am going to see if the extension part from my MacBook Pro will work.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Weren't so much thinking about you when traveling.

As I think this would be much less of a problem or issue with the actual cord when traveling.

Don't listen to me though. I am don't even have an iPad for crying out loud.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
Are laptop cable locks (kensington style) allowed through TSA anymore? Last year when I flew they didnt say anything. Which is actually surprising considering the nature of the cable.

phishindsn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2009
Are laptop cable locks (kensington style) allowed through TSA anymore? Last year when I flew they didnt say anything. Which is actually surprising considering the nature of the cable.
I flew last week with one, they didn't say anything.

phishindsn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2009
Or just use the extension cord from your laptop, that's what I did.
Does apple just sell that part, I dont want to steal the one from my MacBookPro, because I would like to have one so I can set my iPad next to my bed and leave the adapter behind there. Its a tough place to plug and unplug all the time.

phishindsn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2009
Shocking! It sorta would classify as a weapon
Because of the cable? Honestly you would be surprised sometimes I have to carry a temperature probe for testing heat temperatures for food production and they are basically a 12" needle, haven't been stopped. I do have paperwork in case but still. I do fly coach.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
You can also get a usb extension. If you bought an iMac or a Mac Pro with a wired keyboard you should have one. I also think they sell them separately.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
Because of the cable? Honestly you would be surprised sometimes I have to carry a temperature probe for testing heat temperatures for food production and they are basically a 12" needle, haven't been stopped. I do have paperwork in case but still. I do fly coach.

Yeah almost like a garote wire

smoked

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2009
Does apple just sell that part, I dont want to steal the one from my MacBookPro, because I would like to have one so I can set my iPad next to my bed and leave the adapter behind there. Its a tough place to plug and unplug all the time.

Then you might just want to spring for the kit, or a docking station so it can sit upright.

phishindsn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2009
The keyboard extension has a little notch in it so it only works with the keyboard from the iMac. I tried it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.