Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 6, 2009
Anyone know if Best Buy or even an Apple store will give you a period where you can bring the iPad back without a restocking fee?

fr4c

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2007
Hamster wheel
BestBuy has a 15% restocking fee, unless you're a Premiere Silver member. I don't believe Apple has a restocking fee, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Techhie

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2008
The hub of stupidity
I don't believe Apple has a restocking fee, but correct me if I'm wrong.

From Apple's sales & refund policies:

screenshot20100403at114.png

EDIT:

Apple: 14 days no questions. 30 days = restocking fee.

No, the 10% restocking fee will be charged regardless of when it is returned, if it is opened. Best Buy will charge 15% if opened.

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 6, 2009
That right there may keep me from buying one. I don't have any friends buying one and I don't want to get it home and use it for a while and decide it's not for me only to pay 15% of $500 to Best Buy for nothing.

Those policies are ******.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
That right there may keep me from buying one. I don't have any friends buying one and I don't want to get it home and use it for a while and decide it's not for me only to pay 15% of $500 to Best Buy for nothing.

If there was no restocking, I'd go by every 2 weeks, to return it and buy a new one… well maybe not, but I can see people doing that.

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 6, 2009
Ah I don't really believe in quite all that... but I just think it would be nice to have the ability to "back-out", like you can with most anything at Walmart ;)

I don't care about "renting" one in any sense, I just wanted to be able to have it in my home for a few days and see how much i actually use it. Sure a lot of people seem extremely happy with theirs, but I just can't see myself using it A LOT more than my Macbook, if any.

All Taken

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009
UK
I'm glad to wait a while for the UK release as we can return any apple store purchase for a full refund without restocking charges. Just try one out at the apple store.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta

You do realize that once opened and used it's no longer an unopened box and must be sold as "open box" discount or used as a refurb. 15% is a bargain compared to the actual costs incurred by BB, Apple and all other stores to offer a return policy. So to you what seems like nothing is actually a loss for the retailer.

normwood

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2008
In a house...duh!

They're not in the business of renting you equipment....for free.

Do the research, make a decision and commit....or be prepared to pay the restock fee.....pretty darned simple.

Steve

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan

It sucks but because of people that abuse generous return policies this is what companies have to do.

To many people buying a home theater and TV for the Superbowl and then returning it the next day.

Vatche

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2009
Well if you actually think about it Best Buy never looses any money. They charge a 15% restocking fee on opened items then turn around and sell the same item as a open box that is only 10% off the retail price. What a racquet. :(

R.Perez

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2010
Seattle, WA
They're not in the business of renting you equipment....for free.

Do the research, make a decision and commit....or be prepared to pay the restock fee.....pretty darned simple.

Steve

Sorry but that is nonsense. If I buy something from fry's and dont like it. I can take it back no problem.

Hell, they will even take opened video cards and stuff back.

nizz

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2004
north philly
Sorry but that is nonsense. If I buy something from fry's and dont like it. I can take it back no problem.

Hell, they will even take opened video cards and stuff back.

Bestbuy and Apple have stores internationally. Fry's is in what, 10 states max? Most of the USA never even heard of them. Corner stores, small businesses, medium sized businesses, large businesses, national businesses, and international businesses must do things differently...

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Well if you actually think about it Best Buy never looses any money. They charge a 15% restocking fee on opened items then turn around and sell the same item as a open box that is only 10% off the retail price. What a racquet. :(

....but your not taking into account or understand some the following.

1) They have to pay personal in Customer Service to deal with the customer.

2) Items must be checked to be sure it's not damaged, IS the correct item and has all accessories. Saying this is daunting task considering you have 1000's of products to understand and recognize is a tremendous underestimate. Lots of monetary loss happens at this stage

3) Must be repacked, re stocked and setup with special pricing codes/data base and employee understanding.

Overall retailers lose money on restocking items and just saying it's a "racket" (racquet is used in tennis:eek:) shows a complete lack of knowledge of basic economics.

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 6, 2009
Bestbuy and Apple have stores internationally. Fry's is in what, 10 states max? Most of the USA never even heard of them. Corner stores, small businesses, medium sized businesses, large businesses, national businesses, and international businesses must do things differently...

So thats why the largest chain store in the US (Walmart) doesn't charge a restocking fee? Right...

aerospace

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
So thats why the largest chain store in the US (Walmart) doesn't charge a restocking fee? Right...

As a manager at walmart I can tell you I hate open returns. Heck people will try and bring back a tv after 90 days, no box, manual or remote and then they mad at us when we ask for a reciept.

PAC88

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2009
i bought one yesterday and haven't opened it yet. Did a 24hr listing on ebay but ended the auction early since bids have really settled down from yesterday.
I'm not sure what to do now.. return it or open it.. I really like the ipad a lot but I also want a new macbook pro when they come out.. can't afford to have both right now.

dave1812dave

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2009
i bought one yesterday and haven't opened it yet. Did a 24hr listing on ebay but ended the auction early since bids have really settled down from yesterday.
I'm not sure what to do now.. return it or open it.. I really like the ipad a lot but I also want a new macbook pro when they come out.. can't afford to have both right now.
no restock fee if it's unopened.

sectime

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2007
Just wait for Walmart to carry the Ipad your problem is solved. You might have to wait in your trailer for awhile though.:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.