Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

n3092

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
I'm currently sitting here pondering if I really need the power of my Macbook pro. Seeing as how its mostly used on the couch browsing, I'm thinking of selling it and getting a mini and an ipad. The mini would be for when I actually have to use the computer to accomplish something and the ipad would be for when I'm lounging basically. Anyone thing we are going to see a mac mini refresh anytime soon? Id hate to buy then one comes out with an i5 or i3. And give me an estimate on what you think I could get for my Macbook pro, its in my sig. Thanks

Kalison

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2008
I'm currently sitting here pondering if I really need the power of my Macbook pro. Seeing as how its mostly used on the couch browsing, I'm thinking of selling it and getting a mini and an ipad. The mini would be for when I actually have to use the computer to accomplish something and the ipad would be for when I'm lounging basically. Anyone thing we are going to see a mac mini refresh anytime soon? Id hate to buy then one comes out with an i5 or i3. And give me an estimate on what you think I could get for my Macbook pro, its in my sig. Thanks

After my iMac issues I ended up going for a mini and ACD. I think my iPad complements this setup quite well. Sure it's not a monster machine but it gets everything done just fine. I bought my mini because I needed a computer I did think about the refresh...but I needed something now. I am waiting for my ssd to show up next week as my boot drive with a 1TB main drive.

If there is indeed a refresh I doubt i5s are going to be dropped in. Just i3s would be my guess.

Bacong

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2009
Westland, Michigan
Mac mini was just refreshed in October (and I own one :D) so there COULD be an update this year, but with how sporadic the refreshes have been (just two since 2007, so many before that haha) you never know. Also, I don't think there would be a new intel quad core chip in a new mini, apple needs to keep costs where they are. I would assume that the default mac mini next refresh would be 2.53 GHz, 4 GB ram, 320 GB HDD and the premium one COULD be an i3, but I don't know about that. I'd enjoy a mini refresh with a 3.06 GHz c2d with 4 GB of ram and an 80 GB SSD :D

Bacong

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2009
Westland, Michigan
Also, for your pro, I'm assuming you could easily get enough for it to cover the costs for a mini and iPad, assuming your pro is in good shape and depending on what model mini and iPad you want.

n3092

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
Yeah my pro is in fantastic shape, its practically perfect. It still has the incase soft touch case on it since I bought it. And I was hoping to get enough to cover the cost of a maxed mini (proc wise) and the basic 16gb iPad. So Id need about $1500 which I dont think is asking too much considering I paid about $2500 for it.

mdewberry

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2003
After my iMac issues I ended up going for a mini and ACD. I think my iPad complements this setup quite well. Sure it's not a monster machine but it gets everything done just fine. I bought my mini because I needed a computer I did think about the refresh...but I needed something now. I am waiting for my ssd to show up next week as my boot drive with a 1TB main drive.

If there is indeed a refresh I doubt i5s are going to be dropped in. Just i3s would be my guess.

I am VERY strongly considering this solution as well.. Have you been happy with the 24 ACD? Some recent reports of popping noises from the monitor, have you experienced this? Thanks!

Kalison

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2008
I am VERY strongly considering this solution as well.. Have you been happy with the 24 ACD? Some recent reports of popping noises from the monitor, have you experienced this? Thanks!

I love my ACD! It's just gorgeous! No popping sounds and the fan is very quiet! Best of all, the screen is uniform no tinged yellow...nothing! There is a slight light leak going across the bottom but I read that's pretty much all of them. It's a very thin bar across the bottom edge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.