PDA

View Full Version : Sprint Overdrive 3G/4G Mobile Broadband?

slaphotk
Apr 4, 2010, 10:06 AM
Did anyone get a Wifi only Ipad instead of waiting for a 3G because of having mobile broadband (Sprint or Verizon)?. if so, thoughts experiences etc? Trying to figure out which one to get. I have mobile broadband for work purposes.

Thx

mbell75
Apr 4, 2010, 10:12 AM
I got the wifi and was having issues with it saying my password was incorrect and asking me to enter it again like every five minutes. Seems you need to disable your password. I did and haven't had an issue since.

slaphotk
Apr 4, 2010, 10:15 AM
Thx. Do you have Sprint or Verizon? I assume speed is same as with a laptop?

Mark Booth
Apr 4, 2010, 11:32 AM
A good friend of mine runs a speed testing site. He received his WiFi-only iPad yesterday and wrote me with his initial impressions. Among that review was this:

My experiment with the Sprint 4G Overdrive portable router was disappointing. The speeds averaged about 150kbps download and 600kbps upload. Just like the iPhone, the iPad and Overdrive don't play nice together at least when it comes to download speed. I'm told by an Apple engineer that it has something to do with "conflicting efficiency algorithms."

Later in the message, he mentioned that it looks like he will be selling the WiFi-only iPad when his pre-ordered 3G model arrives.

These portable WiFi 3G/4G routers might be convenient for the folks with multiple devices. But there have been many reports of iPhone owners not really getting all that great of speed using them.

Mark

slaphotk
Apr 4, 2010, 11:54 AM
A good friend of mine runs a speed testing site. He received his WiFi-only iPad yesterday and wrote me with his initial impressions. Among that review was this:

My experiment with the Sprint 4G Overdrive portable router was disappointing. The speeds averaged about 150kbps download and 600kbps upload. Just like the iPhone, the iPad and Overdrive don't play nice together at least when it comes to download speed. I'm told by an Apple engineer that it has something to do with "conflicting efficiency algorithms."

Later in the message, he mentioned that it looks like he will be selling the WiFi-only iPad when his pre-ordered 3G model arrives.

These portable WiFi 3G/4G routers might be convenient for the folks with multiple devices. But there have been many reports of iPhone owners not really getting all that great of speed using them.

Mark

Great feedback! Thx! If the same is true for Verizon then that makes my decision easier.

dwiese42
Apr 4, 2010, 12:43 PM
Well, I just tried the iPad here with my overdrive, and I am getting about 1.5 mbps down and 450 kbps up. That is tied to EVDO - no WIMAX signal where I am today. So I suspect your friend who runs the speed testing site had some other issue.

Alchematron
Apr 4, 2010, 12:54 PM
I think the speed is going to depend on your area.

The proof is always in the pudding!

I plan to try out the Sprint 4G when I get my iPad 3G.

Sprint has a 30 day free trial period.

If I do not like the 4G, I will fall back to 3G

Mark Booth
Apr 4, 2010, 03:50 PM
Well, I just tried the iPad here with my overdrive, and I am getting about 1.5 mbps down and 450 kbps up. That is tied to EVDO - no WIMAX signal where I am today. So I suspect your friend who runs the speed testing site had some other issue.

My friend lives in Portland, Oregon. I don't know if he has WIMAX up there or not but he says the Sprint 4G Overdrive screams with his MacBook Pro. He consistently gets 4500kbps down with his MacBook Pro/Overdrive combo. The same is not true for either his iPhone 3G3 (on WiFi) or his iPad. Both of them underperform considerably compared the MacBook Pro.

Perhaps it is a WIMAX signal and that's where the trouble comes in for the iPhone and iPad? As he said, he was told by an Apple engineer that there ARE conflicts when it comes to the iPhone.

FWIW, my friend is Robert Morgan and he runs this Mac speed testing site:

http://www.barefeats.com/

Mark

jedolley
Apr 4, 2010, 04:25 PM
I'll have my overdrive on Monday. WiMax is in my area, but i don't live near a major city (45 min North of Austin). In my experience, the Sprint EVDO connection here is good, so I'm eager to give WiMax a shot. As mentioned, the great thing about the Overdrive is that it does 3G or 4G. If anyone considering the 4G mobile hotspot through Clear, just remember you get 4G or nothing.

Once I get it setup, I can post some speed/bandwidth test. Does anyone have a recommendation on a good speed test app? I usually use Speakeasy, but I believe their test is in Flash.

mbell75
Apr 4, 2010, 05:25 PM
Yea my 3G connection with the overdrive varies from like 16kbps up to as fast as 11mbps, just depends. I am assuming the 4g speeds will obviously be much faster than the 3G speeds even on the 3G iPad.

barefeats
Apr 4, 2010, 06:23 PM

Here in Portland we have a stong WIMAX coverage. It's not clear why the iPad and iPhone go so slow on the Sprint 4G Overdrive. The Nexus One downloads 10 times faster using the Overdrive at the same location 1.5 miles from downtown. The MacBook Pro is 30 times faster using it.

One other downside to the Overdrive: battery life is much shorter than the iPad.

RicksterMac
Apr 4, 2010, 07:18 PM
I've had the Sorint 4G Overdrive here in the Chicago area for about 2 weeks.....I've now successfully used it with my iMac, iPhone 3GS, and iPad. The speeds for me have varied depending greatly on the signal strength....in areas where I get 4-5 bars on the meter, I'm seeing DL speeds at or near 2.5 mb....still not 10X the 3G speeds as advertised, but still very respectable...and useable for sure! One issue I did encounter with the iPad yesterday (that I did not see while using the iMac or iPhone), was the Overdrive unit asking me for a password every 5 minutes....a network reset on the iPad has solved the problem so far.... Also worth noting about the Overdrive....if you have or get one, make sure to do the firmware update....the latest update certainly solved some dropping and 3G/4G handoff issues I was seeing initially. Hope this helps. BTW....I haven't given my iPad a rest since yesterday morning.....what an unbelievable piece of hardware.....ingenious IMO!!!

barefeats
Apr 4, 2010, 09:01 PM
Boy am I mortfied. When went to advanced settings, it said no (firmware) updates available. So after reading RicksterMac's posting, I clicked "check updates now" anyway. Lo and behold, there was an update available.

After downloading and installing it, I reran SpeedTest.net's benchmark. Now instead of 150kbps, I get 2557kbps downloads! Whoa. Maybe I will be keeping this 4G WiFi palm sized 4 oz battery powered hotspot after all -- especially since it supports up to 5 devices.

Mark Booth
Apr 4, 2010, 09:36 PM
Robert,

That's great news!! Makes me feel hopeful about 4G coming to San Diego (someday).

Mark

Alchematron
Apr 4, 2010, 09:53 PM
One other downside to the Overdrive: battery life is much shorter than the iPad.

I work out of my car, do you know if you can power the Overdrive device with a car charger???

I read the device lasts about 2 to 3 hours and tends to get hot. Has this been your experience?

Thanx

jedolley
Apr 4, 2010, 10:20 PM
I work out of my car, do you know if you can power the Overdrive device with a car charger???

I read the device lasts about 2 to 3 hours and tends to get hot. Has this been your experience?

Thanx

I don't have mine yet, but I believe the Overdrive uses a microUSB port for charging. It comes with a USB to microUSB cable and a wall charger. So, I assume if you have a USB car adapter the USB to microUSB cable can plug in and charge through that or you can find a microUSB car adapter.

Alchematron
Apr 5, 2010, 01:49 AM
Sprint Overdrive Hot Spot Wants to Meet Your iPad

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Mobile-and-Wireless/Sprint-3G4G-Hotspot-Wants-to-Hook-Up-with-Your-iPad-236934

barefeats
Apr 5, 2010, 05:37 AM

Thanx

I bought an inverter from Frys Electronics so I can plug it into one of the two DC outlets in my Car.

I used the Overdrive on Easter Sunday. It was in my jacket pocket. I kept checking the battery status. It never felt warm to me. It still had 55% battery power left after 2 hours.

jedolley
Apr 5, 2010, 06:30 PM
I got my Overdrive in today. It's currently charging, but I will try to run some speed tests on my laptop and iPad tonight.

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/3776/ipadoverdrive1.th.jpg (http://img687.imageshack.us/i/ipadoverdrive1.jpg/)

exposition
Apr 8, 2010, 04:08 PM
I bit the bullet and bought an Overdrive last night at Best Buy. Right now they have it for $50, or free if purchased with a WiFi device. The salesman gave me the free price even though it was all I was purchasing - I didn't even ask! YMMV.

First, as every review of this makes clear, your experience will depend on where you live. I am in Austin, TX, and the Clear/Sprint 4G service here is reasonably mature and well built out. At my home in the north central part of town, I was getting what the unit described as a "20% strength" connection, but a speed test revealed downloads over 4 Mbps.

My office is in between the UT campus and downtown, and although I have a window, I am completely unable to conect to 4G so far. I bought the Overdrive primarily for office use, so that's a strike for me. I do get 100% signal strength over 3G (I think we have a repeater on our building).

Still, for $60/mo, I get 5 GB of 3G coverage a month, plus unlimited 4G when I can access it. A MiFi from Sprint or Verizon would only give me the 3G part for the same price.

Many users have complained about the unit's construction. I've read about overheating, lock-ups, dropped connections, etc. I haven't experienced any of those yet. Supposedly firmware fixes are in the works - we'll see.

One nice thing - Sprint now has a 30 day money back guarantee. If it fails or bugs out, then I can take it back, get my money back (or could if I paid for it), and get the ETF waived.

francisq
Apr 8, 2010, 04:26 PM
and as pointed out by someone in this forum..

Overdrive 4G with your Macbook, iPad and iPhone and iPod Touch..i havent even thought about that.

Kenal0
Apr 8, 2010, 04:36 PM
I also am trying out the Overdrive in the Chicago area.
The 4 g is very fast. No problem streaming Netflix. No buffeting delays once it starts up. I also like the flexibility of being able to connect my Macbook if I need to. While it cost more than the ATT 3G plan and it does require another device to charge, I like it.
I did have to turn off the security to eliminate having to re enter security password but you can restrict which mac addresses connect to the device through their utility. Overall I am happy so far.

Kenal0

splashnader
Apr 8, 2010, 04:57 PM
Overdrive owner. I live in metro Atlanta, work in midtown Atlanta. So far I have been unable to access any 4G coverage while I am at work. Yet Sprint advertises 4G coverage in downtown and midtown Atlanta. Yet the 4G coverage is nowhere to be found. Decent 3G speeds but very disappointed with the lack of 4G support, especially since that was the major selling point.

bossxii
Apr 8, 2010, 05:05 PM
Here in Kansas City were suppose to be seeing 4G roll out in June, so I went ahead and took the 30 day trail from Sprint, as of Monday the 5th of April. So far the speed is in the 800kbps to 1.5mb range over a 3 day period of testing no only at my home (where I have ZERO ATT 3G coverage) to my work 30 some miles away. It is very consistant so far and since 4G is not far off, and once on 4G it's is "unlimited" data, I am going hopefully use it for home and work as my home cable is only 3mb down, and sucks to say the least.

The added benefits of the Sprint Overdrive, it has GPS embedded, so useful for the Wifi only version of the iPad. Also has a Micro SD slot that will hold up to 16gig cards. I just purchased a card today so going to mess around tonight and see if I can access the info on via the "GoodReader" app or another app. GPS + 16gigs of additional storage + soon to be 4G speeds and far better 3G coverage than ATT has here in KC, it's a no brainer for me. Easy setup, easy to maintain, and sitting on a job site yesterday my builder was very happy I had it as he needed to respond to an email and was 10+ miles from his office. He loved the idea, probably sold Sprint an Overdrive lol. Is their a commission I wonder? ha

barefeats
Apr 8, 2010, 05:48 PM
I continue to be pleased with the Overdrive. We were at Borders Bookstore the other day. They had free WiFi for the iPad WiFi to use but the Overdrive was 10 times faster. The iPhone 3Gs had 4 bars but nothing would download. No problem. Overdrive to the rescue.

I tried the Verizon MiFi. The Overdrive is 3 times faster.

Alchematron
Apr 8, 2010, 09:01 PM
I continue to be pleased with the Overdrive. We were at Borders Bookstore the other day. They had free WiFi for the iPad WiFi to use but the Overdrive was 10 times faster. The iPhone 3Gs had 4 bars but nothing would download. No problem. Overdrive to the rescue.

I tried the Verizon MiFi. The Overdrive is 3 times faster.

I feel the need for speed!

Alchematron
Apr 10, 2010, 06:20 AM
FWIW Sprint rep told me

"Sprint 4G speed = 3 to 6 MBPS current national average dependent upon service area which continues to be built upon"

I was planning to buy the Overdrive when I get my iPad 3G

But I may hold out for the Sprint HTC EVO 4G phone in June which I supposedly could tether iPad and MBP for free?

Any thoughts?

barefeats
Apr 10, 2010, 06:50 AM
I was planning to buy the Overdrive when I get my iPad 3G

But I may hold out for the Sprint HTC EVO 4G phone in June which I supposedly could tether iPad and MBP for free?

The only downside with the HTC EVO is that it will support only one device. The Overdrive supports up to 5 devices. When my wife and I are on the road, two MBPs and two iPads can share the OverDrive.

aaron580
Apr 10, 2010, 06:59 AM
The only downside with the HTC EVO is that it will support only one device. The Overdrive supports up to 5 devices. When my wife and I are on the road, two MBPs and two iPads can share the OverDrive.

The evo actually supports up to 5 devices...and when it is rooted and a new wifi router app is made it will support more like my touch pro 2. Ive had 7 clients connected to it and no trouble so the evo should have same results over time. Yes they are different platforms win mo vs android but developers from winmo community are switching to the evo when it comes out so there is a lot of potential with that phone.

mbell75
Apr 10, 2010, 12:33 PM
Actually, the Evo will support up to 8 devices. "The Evo 4G is chockablock with custom software. It works as a Wi-Fi hotspot, supporting up to 8 devices; Owens called it "like an Overdrive [router] on steroids." I forgot the Overdrive has GPS built in. That must be why I can get turn by turn directions on Speak4it.

barefeats
Apr 10, 2010, 02:36 PM
Actually, the Evo will support up to 8 devices. "The Evo 4G is chockablock with custom software. It works as a Wi-Fi hotspot, supporting up to 8 devices; Owens called it "like an Overdrive [router] on steroids." I forgot the Overdrive has GPS built in. That must be why I can get turn by turn directions on Speak4it.

Impressive! I will look into it.

Alchematron
Apr 12, 2010, 02:40 AM
Video: Sprint Overdrive 4G + iPad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek0E0Dls0zI

mbell75
Apr 12, 2010, 03:04 AM
Video: Sprint Overdrive 4G + iPad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek0E0Dls0zI

Yep. Cant wait to get 4G out here this summer!

WLS
Apr 16, 2010, 03:51 PM
Just out
http://now.sprint.com/4gcases/?ECID=vanity:4gcases

I gotta admit they are trying but is it a viable choice? Impressive case design but the overdrive is only good for 3 hours!

francisq
Apr 16, 2010, 04:08 PM
Just out
http://now.sprint.com/4gcases/?ECID=vanity:4gcases

I gotta admit they are trying but is it a viable choice? Impressive case design but the overdrive is only good for 3 hours!

only 3 hrs. yikes. does it have replaceable battery at least?

jedolley
Apr 16, 2010, 04:12 PM
only 3 hrs. yikes. does it have replaceable battery at least?

Yes, It has a replaceable battery.

I've gotten a bit over 4hrs with 2 devices connected.

Alchematron
Apr 16, 2010, 04:46 PM
I'm now researching 4G by Clear

http://www.clear.com

Seems like a better deal than Sprint 4G

$40.00 per month instead of Sprint $60.00

No 2 year contract

Less add on monthly fees

Anyone here actually using it???

jedolley
Apr 16, 2010, 04:52 PM

No 2 year contract

Less add on monthly fees

I don't have any personal experience with Clear, but what you should keep in mind is that if you don't have the WiMax coverage available, then there is no EVDO or 3G coverage to fall back on like with the Overdrive.

Alchematron
Apr 16, 2010, 05:03 PM
I don't have any personal experience with Clear, but what you should keep in mind is that if you don't have the WiMax coverage available, then there is no EVDO or 3G coverage to fall back on like with the Overdrive.

Fortunately where I live 4G coverage is solid

batman75
Apr 16, 2010, 05:05 PM
There is no way I would buy this junk.

First it's another device to worry about keeping charged. A significant hassle in my opinion. And the battery only lasts 3 hours. I could imagine having to charge this a couple of times a day. That's a serious pain.

Second the coverage is pathetic - Miami, Washington DC and New York don't have coverage yet, cities like Phoenix aren't even on the build-out plan. Even when fully built-out their is no way their coverage will match the Verizon and AT&T planned LTE networks.

Third $60 a month for 5gb is a lot. My Verizon 3G account for my PC is that much, and Verizon has never enforced the 5gb cap. Sprint is known for enforcing theirs. And AT&T offers a very fast 3G at $30 per month.

I'm going to get AT&T's 3G service for $30 per month. Rather not pay double for an extra box to carry around, very short 3G battery life, and pathetic coverage.

jedolley
Apr 16, 2010, 05:15 PM
Third $60 a month for 5gb is a lot.

You're entitled to your opinion, but this part is wrong. This has been mentioned many times that 4G is unlimited.

billyzenme
Apr 16, 2010, 05:35 PM
only a little over 4 hours of battery life? yuck. the iPad lasts way longer than that to make that junkdrive useful throughout the whole day...

Alchematron
Apr 16, 2010, 05:49 PM
Judgement day is upon us :eek:

iPad 3G

Clear 4G

Sprint 4G

HTC EVO 4G tether

iPhone HD OS4

iPad Jailbreak

exposition
Apr 16, 2010, 07:36 PM

No 2 year contract

Less add on monthly fees

The Clear and Sprint 4g networks are identical. Here in Austin, Time Warner even rebrands it as a third reseller, but they're all the same WiMax towers. I considered Clear, but they weren't selling an all-in-one solution like the Overdrive. They had separate USB modem that plugged into a hotspot. One other thing, as was pointed out, you don't have the option to revert to 3G if 4g isn't available.

$60 isn't cheap, especially with a 5gb cap, but verizon charges the same for a MiFi with only 3G coverage and the same cap.

xraytech
Apr 29, 2010, 02:12 PM
PLEASE SHARE YOUR EXPERIENCES AND TIPS IN THIS THREAD

I just got mine today and it is GLORIOUS!!!

Easy set-up, excellent in-building signal, and fits perfectly in the front pocket of my Timbuk2 Classic Messenger XS.

I call my Overdrive Wi-Fi network "FU?K AT&T" =D

Now that I'm all set-up, data wise, with Sprint. Can I cancel data service with AT&T but still keep voice service?

xraytech
Apr 29, 2010, 03:13 PM

Easy set-up, excellent in-building signal, and fits perfectly in the front pocket of my Timbuk2 Classic Messenger XS.

Now that I'm all set-up, data wise, with Sprint. Can I cancel data service with AT&T but still keep voice service?

Oh forgot to add, before Sprint Overdrive I used PdaNet on my iPhone to tether to my iPad.

Warbrain
Apr 29, 2010, 03:14 PM

Do you have an iPhone? Probably not.

I've been tempted to get a Verizon Mifi but I wanted to make sure that I absolutely needed it.

xraytech
Apr 29, 2010, 03:55 PM
Do you have an iPhone? Probably not.

I've been tempted to get a Verizon Mifi but I wanted to make sure that I absolutely needed it.

I do have an iPhone.

Before Sprint Overdrive, I used PdaNet on my iPhone to tether to my iPad.

jaeguyoon
Apr 29, 2010, 07:44 PM
As an overdrive user here 2 things I noticed.

I updated the firmware and it was much better with iPad. Also I read somewhere that it's better with the iPad to change the security setting to WPA2 (I found this out when googling when I had issues with the overdrive and ipad disconnecting issue.) Also I turned off the standby option because it kept freezing whenever it went into standby and back on.

also I have 4g in my area and I avg 8mb/s. Sometimes more and sometimes less. 4g is definitely a better experience than 3g. I had to rely on the overdrive for a month when I didnt' have cable at home and it handled all my needs including downloading movies. And best of all 4g has no cap on data!

Alchematron
Apr 29, 2010, 08:49 PM
As an overdrive user here 2 things I noticed.

I updated the firmware and it was much better with iPad. Also I read somewhere that it's better with the iPad to change the security setting to WPA2 (I found this out when googling when I had issues with the overdrive and ipad disconnecting issue.) Also I turned off the standby option because it kept freezing whenever it went into standby and back on.

also I have 4g in my area and I avg 8mb/s. Sometimes more and sometimes less. 4g is definitely a better experience than 3g. I had to rely on the overdrive for a month when I didnt' have cable at home and it handled all my needs including downloading movies. And best of all 4g has no cap on data!

Now that's what I wanna hear thanx!

My new strategy

Test drive iPad 3G on ATT 3G in comparison to Sprint EVO tethering and possibly new iPhone.

If above fails then fall back on ClearSpot from Clear.com which has no contract and is $20.00 cheaper than Sprint OverDrive since Sprint is the reseller of the Clear network.

Also there is rumor that ATT could boost 3G to 3 to 6 MPS this Summer.

It's gonna be a wild Summer!

xraytech
Apr 30, 2010, 10:27 AM
Second day with my Sprint Overdrive. Say what you want about the price and lower than advertised speed, I'm all about signal penetration into buildings. I work in a hospital x-ray department and the walls here just choke off AT&T's Edge/3G signal.

Sprint Overdrive = :)

Nebrie
Apr 30, 2010, 12:46 PM
Get an external battery like a hypermac or one of these http://www.energizerpowerpacks.com/us/products/

I'm carrying around the 18000mAh one in my gear bag and it keeps the Overdrive and iPhone charged up, then I take it out to charge once a week.

barefeats
Apr 30, 2010, 06:43 PM
Get an external battery like a hypermac or one of these http://www.energizerpowerpacks.com/us/products/

I'm carrying around the 18000mAh one in my gear bag and it keeps the Overdrive and iPhone charged up, then I take it out to charge once a week.

Great suggestion. I'm able to conserve the Overdrive's battery but turning it off when not using it. But I like the option of a powerpack for times when I want to extend the life of the Overdrive more than 4 hours.

jaeguyoon
Apr 30, 2010, 06:52 PM
Also a USB car charger works, that's how I last all day with my overdrive!

barefeats
Apr 30, 2010, 07:30 PM
Also a USB car charger works, that's how I last all day with my overdrive!

Aha! You just gave me an idea. I bought a car charger for the iPhone that uses a cable that has a standard USB connection at one end and an iPhone/iPod connector at the other. To use it with the Overdrive, I can just replace the cable with the one that comes with the Overdrive.

jaeguyoon
May 1, 2010, 12:45 AM
Aha! You just gave me an idea. I bought a car charger for the iPhone that uses a cable that has a standard USB connection at one end and an iPhone/iPod connector at the other. To use it with the Overdrive, I can just replace the cable with the one that comes with the Overdrive.

Yup that's what I've been doing!!!

jaeguyoon
May 1, 2010, 08:30 PM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y34/jaeguyoon/c77ebd4d.jpg

I just did this test. Pretty impressed!!!