Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

atacinus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 25, 2003
New York City
HELP!!! I just sold my computer and so all my music was stored on my ipod...i was gonna hook it to my new computer and use the song extractor...but when i did iTunes asked me to synch it and i did to the blank iTunes library...now all my songs are gone....and the CDs are at my home six states away [not to mention it took hours to rip and organize]...is there a way to get my music back????????

Christien.

FuzzyBallz

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Home of Al-Qaida
Interesting... so you sold your computer w/ all the tracks still in the HD along w/ all the programs and personal info. You'd think people who sell their computer would backup all the data, music, video, photos, then do a clean install before shipping the computer out... interesting indeed.

Apple //e

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2003
atacinus said:
HELP!!! I just sold my computer and so all my music was stored on my ipod...i was gonna hook it to my new computer and use the song extractor...but when i did iTunes asked me to synch it and i did to the blank iTunes library...now all my songs are gone....and the CDs are at my home six states away [not to mention it took hours to rip and organize]...is there a way to get my music back????????

Christien.

did you try using undelete programs?

there are many out there. file rescue plus works good

dave1234

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2003
Minnesota
Yeah...sorry, I dont think there is a way to get past this one...
call home, get the cd's...redo it all...sorry man. (a similar thing has happened to me, although my cd's were not far away)

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
1. Spend several days pissed at yourself, trying to undelete the songs. You probably won't be too successful-- consumer file-recovery is pretty hit-or-miss.

2. Get your CDs and re-rip them. Use this opportunity to rip as a different format/bitrate if you want. Great time to switch to AAC, if you haven't...

3. Be a hell of a lot more careful next time you sell a computer. Hope the buyer is honest, or else credit card data/personal info/etc etc, everything that you accumulated and everything that got written to preference files and logs, will be his to play with...

paul

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Just have someone mail you your CD's from home. What did you think your iPod was going to do when you hit that button?

iJon

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
iJon said:
Just have someone mail you your CD's from home. What did you think your iPod was going to do when you hit that button?

iJon

Hey, there's no need to kick a guy when he's down. I think he knows he's made a mistake.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
munkle said:
Hey, there's no need to kick a guy when he's down. I think he knows he's made a mistake.
I was only asking cause he seems to be in denial that his music is gone.

iJon

atacinus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 25, 2003
New York City
yeah the stupid thing is i knew that the button erased the ipod, but i clicked the wrong button...i did it quick instead of reading them....STUIPD glowing blue button!!! I.m trying some recovery tools, but they all want $$...so i.m looking for some serial numbers...yes, yes tisk tisk i know...

Christien.

Phat_Pat

macrumors 68000
May 8, 2004
I Live Where I Live
do u know the people you sold the computer too?

if so just ask if u can reload it

(but than i think if this was possible u would of already thought of it)

sorry man, time to start from scrach, good luck.

AdamZ

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2004
This seems sorta like something that happens often to people. They get a nice new iPod, rip all their cd's onto their computer, transfer thier entire music collection to thier iPod, and then deletee the music off of their computer. It seems like Apple is not clear on this to some pople, or Apple needs to stress that iTunes and the persons computer holds the music. My heart drops when I see a friend who does this, and find the urge to use scare tactics to convience them not keep iTunes empty. Remember all you new or potential iPod users, keep your music on your computer! Back it up! The ipod is not for storing your music, just playing it!

On a side note: Dropped my 1st gen iPod yet again today on the hard concrete. ( I dropped it so many times running around the big city) Still works like a champ! I have been holding off getting a new one since this guy still works. Apple built these things like tanks!!

kanker

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2003
Indy
Yep, you MUST back up your iTunes library to cd or DVD (choose data cd in prefs). Not only does this help when you have a major Doh! moment, but if you ever have a critical drive failure, you are not losing your library in the process. Mantra - backup...backup...backup...backup

hcuar

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2004
Dallas
tech4all said:
Only?! Thats a lot of songs :eek:, well compared to me at least....about 430 :eek:

Ugh... That's a lot of songs. At least it sounds like you didn't lose any songs purchased from iTunes?

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
hcuar said:
Ugh... That's a lot of songs. At least it sounds like you didn't lose any songs purchased from iTunes?

Actually almost all my songs on my iPod/iTunes are from my CD collection, well actually about 1/2 or 1/3 of my CDs or so. Never really used the ITMS....at least not yet ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.