PDA

View Full Version : Please walk me through setting up MyWi tethering!

Leia1912
Apr 4, 2010, 11:38 AM
In the spirit of "Because we can," I want to get my iPad tethered to my iPhone. Could anybody please walk me through this? (I already have MyWi downloaded and ready on the iPhone, FYI.)

(I do have an iPhone first generation, but MyWi says that won't be a problem, and I am on a local network, Cincinnati Bell.)

Thanks so much for your input! :apple:

x0lliex
Apr 4, 2010, 12:00 PM
Just open up the app on your iPhone and press and turn on wifi tethering. Look at the name of the wifi network below and go to your iPad and go to your wifi settings and connect the wifi network that is listed in the mywi app.

Leia1912
Apr 4, 2010, 12:53 PM
Hmmmm, I think I'm doing it right, then; there's something else wonky afoot. The MyWi app gripes that it can't enable the network (and then acts like it is using my normal home WiFi, which is not the point), and then the iPad links to the iPhone but doesn't get any Internet feed. This makes me think either I've got a setting wrong, or there's an issue using EDGE feed to the iPhone, vs. 3G.

Thanks for your reply!

mottdog
Apr 4, 2010, 03:28 PM
Hmmmm, I think I'm doing it right, then; there's something else wonky afoot. The MyWi app gripes that it can't enable the network (and then acts like it is using my normal home WiFi, which is not the point), and then the iPad links to the iPhone but doesn't get any Internet feed. This makes me think either I've got a setting wrong, or there's an issue using EDGE feed to the iPhone, vs. 3G.

Thanks for your reply!

Make sure your iPhone has it's normal wifi turned on even though your using 3G.

FSUSem1noles
Apr 4, 2010, 03:30 PM
Make sure your iPhone has it's normal wifi turned on even though your using 3G.

+1, I was testing it out and I had shut my iPhones wi-fi off, needless to say after about 10 attempts, 5 hard resets and 5 soft resets.. MyWi would never create a hotspot..

Went back and turned the iPhone Wi-Fi back on and it worked without a hitch...

Robb.Penoyer
Apr 4, 2010, 03:49 PM
Because you phone is clearly jailbroken (jailbroked, jailbreaked... ??) you can also simply turn on tethering by going to Settings -> General -> Network -> Internet Tethering. Turn it on. Now you can bluetooth pair with your iPhone.

No need to use MyWi unless you want to be a network router.

NJRonbo
Apr 4, 2010, 04:03 PM
Will the iPad connect as effectively to the
bluetooth tethering as it would the MyWi?

bmms8
Apr 4, 2010, 04:05 PM

ive never used BT tethering on my mpb, but i think mywi would be fast, especially if using 3g. goodluck

Robb.Penoyer
Apr 4, 2010, 05:10 PM

Bluetooth is more than speedy enough to keep up with 3G. When the European folks get iPads going, the faster wireless services available there may exceed bluetooth.

But for those of us stuck on the crappy US infrastructure, we can keep it simple.

yaroldb
Apr 4, 2010, 05:22 PM
I have a similar problem. It connects to the network that mywi creates but no Internet connection. Not sure what to do.

Robb.Penoyer
Apr 4, 2010, 05:26 PM
I have a similar problem. It connects to the network that mywi creates but no Internet connection. Not sure what to do.

On your phone go to Settings -> Wi-Fi and verify that Wi-Fi is "ON"

3goldens
Apr 4, 2010, 05:29 PM
I do not think the bluetooth worked between the iPhone and iPad. At least it did not before i jail broke the phone. I actually have not checked since jail breaking so it very well might and if that is the case one could use netshare as a connection if you were licky enough to get your hands on a copy of that..

Robb.Penoyer
Apr 4, 2010, 05:33 PM
The discussion thread topic is about MyWi, so I made the presumption that the phone side of the discussion was jailbroken (jailbraked, jailbreaked ..:confused:)

With that safely presumed, tethering with bluetooth is a simple matter of iPhone Settings and adding the phone as an attached bluetooth device. No need for additional software.

I do not have an iPad, so I would ask an iPad user to validate/try this out. But on my MBP this works great.

badtzmaru
Apr 4, 2010, 06:25 PM
Doesn't work Penoyer I tried that yesterday

FWW
Apr 4, 2010, 06:33 PM
Oh oh oh how i wish i had the desire to jailbreak my phone before getting my iPad. Now i have a 3.1.3 iPhone that i can't break to tether with my iPad :( anyone heard any info in near future 3.1.3 breaks???

Robb.Penoyer
Apr 4, 2010, 06:36 PM
Oh oh oh how i wish i had the desire to jailbreak my phone before getting my iPad. Now i have a 3.1.3 iPhone that i can't break to tether with my iPad :( anyone heard any info in near future 3.1.3 breaks???

Redsn0w can break a 3.1.3 iPhone 2G, 3G --- I do not believe it can break 3GS.

That's too bad about the iPad not bluetooth tethering though...

ipoddin
Apr 4, 2010, 06:37 PM
The discussion thread topic is about MyWi, so I made the presumption that the phone side of the discussion was jailbroken (jailbraked, jailbreaked ..:confused:)

With that safely presumed, tethering with bluetooth is a simple matter of iPhone Settings and adding the phone as an attached bluetooth device. No need for additional software.

I do not have an iPad, so I would ask an iPad user to validate/try this out. But on my MBP this works great.

Tried but neither will recognize the other. iPhone is jail broken. Internet tether in settings is on.

Robb.Penoyer
Apr 4, 2010, 06:41 PM
Tried but neither will recognize the other. iPhone is jail broken. Internet tether in settings is on.

Sorry... without an iPad myself, I am dry on suggestions. Drop the $9.99 on MyWi I guess is the last resort. I believe this IS working for folks.

I'll go pick one up tomorrow and see what I can do for you. Now I have a valid excuse to give my wife for spending $500 --- "But honey ! Ipoddin on macrumors is depending on me." HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE

FWW
Apr 4, 2010, 06:55 PM
Redsn0w can break a 3.1.3 iPhone 2G, 3G --- I do not believe it can break 3GS.

That's too bad about the iPad not bluetooth tethering though...

Redsn0w will break a 3.1.3 with the most recent base band that has never been broken before? I tried to downgrade to 3.1.2 to use blackra1n but it won't downgrade... I restored to 3.1.3 with no issues and will try redsn0w if that is possible...

TIA

3goldens
Apr 4, 2010, 06:57 PM
Just tried and as suspected it dies not pair as previous posters have confirmed. i would think at some point this will get rectified for those who have jail broken phones.

I have ordered a 3G and will sell my wifi at at point. This dependance on another device for a connection is not something I will tolerate in the long run.

Robb.Penoyer
Apr 4, 2010, 06:58 PM
Redsn0w will break a 3.1.3 with the most recent base band that has never been broken before? I tried to downgrade to 3.1.2 to use blackra1n but it won't downgrade... I restored to 3.1.3 with no issues and will try redsn0w if that is possible...

TIA

Yes, Redsnow WILL jailbreak (jailbrake) a 3G 3.1.3 on the latest baseband. I absolutely know this because I did it just his morning for a friend.

These instructions work:
http://www.redmondpie.com/jailbreak-iphone-os-3.1.3-firmware-with-redsn0w-0.9.4/

FWW
Apr 4, 2010, 07:01 PM
Yes, Redsnow WILL jailbreak (jailbrake) a 3G 3.1.3 on the latest baseband. I absolutely know this because I did it just his morning for a friend.

These instructions work:
http://www.redmondpie.com/jailbreak-iphone-os-3.1.3-firmware-with-redsn0w-0.9.4/

You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar... If i get is runnin, im giftin' you an app sir!

Robb.Penoyer
Apr 4, 2010, 07:04 PM
You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar... If i get is runnin, im giftin' you an app sir!

kewl.... one other note for you.

In those instructions at one point the tell you to select “Install Cydia, Unlock and Already pwned” ---- ONLY select "Install Cydia"

NJRonbo
Apr 4, 2010, 07:07 PM
Let us all know if it indeed works on 3.13

FWW
Apr 4, 2010, 07:09 PM
kewl.... one other note for you.

In those instructions at one point the tell you to select “Install Cydia, Unlock and Already pwned” ---- ONLY select "Install Cydia"

Working perfectly... PM me your email and a link/name to a reasonably priced app you want!

Thanks for the link. I think a lot of the messages i saw on the web saying 3.1.3 was not possible were people who wanted an unlock as well...

ipoddin
Apr 4, 2010, 11:35 PM
Sorry... without an iPad myself, I am dry on suggestions. Drop the $9.99 on MyWi I guess is the last resort. I believe this IS working for folks.

I'll go pick one up tomorrow and see what I can do for you. Now I have a valid excuse to give my wife for spending $500 --- "But honey ! Ipoddin on macrumors is depending on me." HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE

I'll back ya up on that! Mywi works flawlessly. Very fast too.

Robb.Penoyer
Apr 5, 2010, 03:57 AM
Working perfectly... PM me your email and a link/name to a reasonably priced app you want!

Thanks for the link. I think a lot of the messages i saw on the web saying 3.1.3 was not possible were people who wanted an unlock as well...

No need for the app man, just enjoy. I agree on your observation, it confused me for a while as well.

HXGuy
Apr 5, 2010, 04:22 AM
I used Redsn0w to Jailbreak, and it worked, installed Cydia...but then how do I get MyWi? I can't for the life of my figure it out.

Im now starting all over and trying with Blackra1n since thats what it says on the MyWi website to use.

FWW
Apr 5, 2010, 04:33 AM
I used Redsn0w to Jailbreak, and it worked, installed Cydia...but then how do I get MyWi? I can't for the life of my figure it out.

Im now starting all over and trying with Blackra1n since thats what it says on the MyWi website to use.

You go into cydia>search>MyWi

HXGuy
Apr 5, 2010, 04:40 AM
You go into cydia>search>MyWi

Tried that...it doesn't find anything. Does it find it for you when you search? Is it case sensitive?

HXGuy
Apr 5, 2010, 05:06 AM
Holy crap it actually worked! This is AWESOME! Worked like a charm with Redsn0w and Cydia...then found it by searching for MyWi (I think it is case sentative) and got it all installed. This is on my wife's 3G as I can't do it on my 3GS.

Come on Dev Team...break the 3GS with 3.1.3 and latest bootrom!

T4R06
Apr 5, 2010, 05:19 AM
On the "rock" mywi is free all am just sayin..

HXGuy
Apr 5, 2010, 05:25 AM
Eh...I went with the paid version. This was a good guide here on setting it up...

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=7627

HXGuy
Apr 5, 2010, 05:35 AM
Im finding a little buggy on reconnecting back to the MyWi...anyone else?

Basically if I connect the first time (reboot of iPad), it works beautifully. But if I turn off the MyWi tethering for a little and then turn it back on, the internet no longer works on the iPad.

The iPad still thinks its connected to the iPhone but the iPhone isn't even on.

If I shut off the WiFi on the iPad and then back on (with the iPhone MyWi back on) it connects, and in the Settings it says its connected, but in the upper corner next to the "iPad" text, there is no WiFi symbol for about 30 seconds. The symbol finally appears in the corner but the internet still says it has no connection.

Seems like the only way to get it back up and running is to reboot the iPad.

woodekm
Apr 5, 2010, 06:25 AM
If we could only do this without jailbreaking.....

Im SCARED :eek: :eek:

Sounds Good
Apr 5, 2010, 03:13 PM

I'm with ya... ;)

mac8867
Apr 5, 2010, 03:16 PM

Hi woodekm... your signature says you have an iPhone 3GS .... if that is true, and you are at the latest firmware/upgrade from iTunes --- do NOT attempt to jailbrake your phone. There isn't one for you yet.

silverblack
Apr 7, 2010, 09:48 AM
MyWi lets you select the channel of the signal broadcast. Is anyone aware of any apps that you can detect the channels of the existing wifi signals in the vicinity?