PDA

View Full Version : [iPad] Ipad gets JAILBREAKED in less then a day !!

Chevenowner
Apr 4, 2010, 11:57 AM
Dev team member managed to jailbreak IPAD

Check out this link
http://appadvice.com/appnn/2010/04/ipad-jailbreaked-day/

Also got the video now
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgHNayVtHkQ

northernbaldy
Apr 4, 2010, 11:58 AM
or jailbroken

mashoutposse
Apr 4, 2010, 11:59 AM
Awesome :apple:

Argo
Apr 4, 2010, 12:00 PM
they took their time :rolleyes:

CJS7070
Wow, I didn't expect it to happen this fast... Then again, it was going to happen sometime soon. Looking forward to what's to come.

Surely
If I'm going to jailbreak, they really need to come up with killer ideas.

Amazing how fast it was accomplished in.

Noisemaker
Apr 4, 2010, 12:01 PM
Great. Now the pirates can steal the iPad apps I've developed as well. :rolleyes:

Chevenowner
Apr 4, 2010, 12:01 PM
or jailbroken

Is it not the same thing ??

CrAkD
Apr 4, 2010, 12:02 PM
ive been waiting for this yesssss lol. for the record ive NEVER stolen an app store app by jailbreaking. I actually buy jailbroken apps from cydia.

CrAkD
Apr 4, 2010, 12:03 PM

Just sounds right as "jailbreaked" sounds like an english nightmare.

Chevenowner
Apr 4, 2010, 12:04 PM
I’m just curious to see how Cydia will work on the iPad
:D

Disc Golfer
Apr 4, 2010, 12:05 PM
Ah, I believe the term is jailborked.

mkrishnan
Apr 4, 2010, 12:07 PM
Just sounds right as "jailbreaked" sounds like an english nightmare.

I personally prefer "jailbreaked."

Nice work, dev team. And I do hope everyone is good to their developers and uses this for the light and not the darkness. :p

prospereagle92

No not at all. Jailbreaked sounds horrible. you can have the ipad jailbroken, but not jailbreaked.

troop231
And so it begins.. the cat and mouse game of OS updates coming soon to a iTunes near you :D

SnowLeopard2008
Apr 4, 2010, 12:10 PM
We still have to wait until the 3G iPads are released because Apple could release a software update to patch the exploit used.

Chevenowner
Apr 4, 2010, 12:13 PM
This means
multitasking coming to
ipad :)

Great. Now the pirates can steal the iPad apps I've developed as well. :rolleyes:

Tell me which app u developed
I will make sure
I don't download it
:):)

DaveGee
Apr 4, 2010, 12:24 PM
No not at all. Jailbreaked sounds horrible. you can have the ipad jailbroken, but not jailbreaked.

Perhaps but you can be caught red handed in the midst of a iPad jailbreak... :D

Chevenowner
Apr 4, 2010, 12:26 PM
Come on dev team
this is just aol awesome
I m the happiest man on earth :)
multitasking on ipad
;)
yaaaay

jgfink
Apr 4, 2010, 12:26 PM
Perhaps but you can be caught red handed in the midst of a iPad jailbreak... :D

haha. great.

Now we just need to see it be released to the public and its a win-win situation.

foxnews1
Apr 4, 2010, 12:34 PM
Can someone explain how you swap app when multitask using JB? Some screenshots would be great. And how many apps can you run until you max out RAM?

With os 4 coming with multitasking, do we need JB for multitask?

Noisemaker
Apr 4, 2010, 12:44 PM
ive been waiting for this yesssss lol. for the record ive NEVER stolen an app store app by jailbreaking. I actually buy jailbroken apps from cydia.

When I was big on JB'ing, I never stole either. However, the majority of jailbreakers anymore are pirates. That's one of the reasons I quit jailbreaking, along with the fact that I'm a developer, and don't need any lower quality apps or modifications to the firmware messing up the apps that I'm testing.

JReynolds
Apr 4, 2010, 12:46 PM

Same here. I just want the ability to do whatever I want on it. I really want YouRTube, 3G unrestictor, Pro Switcher, Safari Download Manager and SBSettings.

northernbaldy
Apr 4, 2010, 12:50 PM
I personally prefer "jailbreaked."

that is because you're a merkin

Noisemaker
:rolleyes:

If you had put a hundred+ hours into coding an application, creating all the artwork, the UI, every aspect of the application, and then put it up on the app store for a meager amount, only to find that some asshat decided to steal it and then crack the application - literally taking money from your pocket - how would it make you feel?

It's not like taking music or videos - where the only one getting hurt is some major corporation (Not justifying that, btw). When someone steals an app from the appstore, they literally take money directly from the developer.

Nash Bridges
We still have to wait until the 3G iPads are released because Apple could release a software update to patch the exploit used.

If they do, then someone will find another one. Apple has to face the fact that the underground will always be one step ahead!

Gav2k
Apr 4, 2010, 12:51 PM
Question would be if it's worth it. We getthe ipad over here in 3-4 weeks then 8 ish weeks later we get os4.0.

Chevenowner
Apr 4, 2010, 12:53 PM
Can someone explain how you swap app when multitask using JB? Some screenshots would be great. And how many apps can you run until you max out RAM?

With os 4 coming with multitasking, do we need JB for multitask?

U don't only get multitasking with jb
there are loads of tons of stuff u can do when jailbroken
100% customisable ipad best thing I can think off

Logos327
Apr 4, 2010, 12:56 PM
While my iPhone is jailbroken, I don't think i will be jailbreaking this so soon. That being said backgrounder would be very nice.

FCDP
Apr 4, 2010, 12:58 PM
Awesome. And not everyone that Jailbreaks do it for free apps. Customization is where it's at, as well as Apps that were declined, or never had a chance of being distributed in the App Store.

This open's up the possibilities to create some pretty awesome custom UI's, including making used of all that extra space on the lockscreen.

I want:
http://cache-06.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/4/2010/01/500x_inote_unlock.jpg

Chevenowner
Apr 4, 2010, 12:59 PM
Awesome. And not everyone that Jailbreaks do it for free apps. Customization is where it's at, as well as Apps that were declined, or never had a chance of being distributed in the App Store.

This open's up the possibilities to create some pretty awesome custom UI's, including making used of all that extra space on the lockscreen.

I want:
http://cache-06.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/4/2010/01/500x_inote_unlock.jpg

Couldn't agree more

iHateMacs
Apr 4, 2010, 01:00 PM

I don't condone the illegal downloading of software, but most people who do it, I don't think, would have bought the app anyway so no one is loosing out financially.

What difference does it make to you (or any developer) if ten people are using your app that didn't pay for it. There is no on-cost to you. It's not as if every copy used costs you money to distribute.

Software is intangible. It's not like the devs spend three weeks working hard building an outhouse for someone and then never got paid. THAT would be three weeks work lost.

I'm sure most people who DO download without paying are only mildly interested in the APP and probably try it and delete it within minutes anyway.

I have bought a few apps through Cydia and that's it.

h00ligan
Apr 4, 2010, 01:04 PM

Combat it with price and quality. Many people will pay reasonable sums. Many of the iPad apps out now are not reasonably priced.

Chevenowner
Apr 4, 2010, 01:05 PM
Come on dev team :)

MatthewStorm
Apr 4, 2010, 01:07 PM

It's not 'Jailbroken', it's Jailbreaked!

Learn your grammar, people!

FrankieTDouglas
Apr 4, 2010, 01:09 PM

I really doubt people are wanting to jailbreak this device just so they can steal your apps.

northernbaldy
Apr 4, 2010, 01:11 PM
how about jailbraked or jailbroked

jailknackerd
jailshagged?

angemon89
Apr 4, 2010, 01:12 PM
I heart the dev team.

FCDP
Apr 4, 2010, 01:13 PM

There's a great piece on Gizmodo on App Piracy that states about 10% of iPhones are Jailbroken, meaning 1 and 10 iPhone users has the ability to run pirated Apps. That number usually falls to 5% after an OS update, and slowly creeps back to 10% once a Jailbreak is available for the updated OS.

Further more, they make a great point about those that do pirate Apps:

With the App Store offering most—though not all—of what the jailbreak scene used to provide, cracking your phone, going through the trouble of ducking regular upgrades and enduring the constant fear of rendering your phones permanently useless just isn't that attractive anymore. To be a pirate right now, you really have to want to be a pirate. This isn't Napster. This is Usenet. And pirates aren't potential customers. They're pirates.

Article: The Myth of iPhone App Piracy (http://gizmodo.com/5477732/the-myth-of-iphone-app-piracy)

Jason Beck
Apr 4, 2010, 01:14 PM
Nice. I wanna see some dual boot pr0n action goodness.
Super Mario 3 iPad anyone?

Chevenowner
Apr 4, 2010, 01:15 PM
Jailbroken
IPAD
is a
GREAT IPAD

jeffy777
Apr 4, 2010, 02:08 PM
Very nice. I'm looking forward to real multitasking.

TurboSC
Apr 4, 2010, 02:09 PM
*Rainbows and unicorns not included.

tdream
Apr 4, 2010, 02:15 PM
Very nice. I'm looking forward to real multitasking.
Jailbreaking won't change hardware limitations.

goobot
Apr 4, 2010, 02:16 PM
its the same bootrom exploit they had since november

CylonGlitch
Apr 4, 2010, 02:17 PM
The only thing I would consider JailBreaking for is Tethering to the iPhone, if that is at all possible.

diabolic
Apr 4, 2010, 02:18 PM

The hardware is more capable than existing devices that multitasking just fine.

Jason Beck
Apr 4, 2010, 02:25 PM
The hardware is more capable than existing devices that multitasking just fine.

Yep it is.
http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/
I want Linux on the ipad.
Stat.
Asap.
Now.

SnowLeopard2008
Apr 4, 2010, 02:26 PM
If they do, then someone will find another one. Apple has to face the fact that the underground will always be one step ahead!

That's just more work for the iPhone Dev Team or Geohot. Apple can look at how Sony is combating piracy with the PSP/PS3. I haven't seen hacks for the PS3 yet and PSP CFW is getting harder and harder.

jmmo20
Apr 4, 2010, 02:32 PM

Developers should really ask apple why they put so much effort in stopping jailbreakers while do put ZERO effort in releasing a new fairplay version for iphone apps.

This is quite an interesting read: http://www.complicatedstuff.com/2009/05/apple-needs-to-play-cat-and-mouse-with.html

I jailbreak for many reasons, none of which is to steal software.
In fact I've already spent 30 bucks in ipad apps before I can even get the ipad (i'm in Europe).

dave1812dave
Apr 4, 2010, 02:33 PM
If you had put a hundred+ hours into coding an application, creating all the artwork, the UI, every aspect of the application, and then put it up on the app store for a meager amount, only to find that some asshat decided to steal it and then crack the application - literally taking money from your pocket - how would it make you feel?

It's not like taking music or videos - where the only one getting hurt is some major corporation (Not justifying that, btw). When someone steals an app from the appstore, they literally take money directly from the developer.

heck, I feel ripped off when I see the insanely high salaries and bonuses of high ranking officials of companies that sell products I buy. I KNOW the product I just bought was overpriced simply so a bunch of "asshats" (to use YOUR phrase) can be fat cats. There are plenty of ways in which we get ripped off. How about the fact I have to pay taxes to support public schools? My kid is long grown up, and besides, he went to private school for several years. the government didn't give us SQUAT for sending him to private school. ie, DEAL WITH IT! :)

jmmo20
Apr 4, 2010, 02:34 PM

Even the iphone 3G is hardware capable of multitasking. The only limit is the RAM available, which was fixed with the iphone 3GS which is more than capable of running safari, ipod, beejive and a game at the same time.

What makes you think the iPad isn't capable of this and much more?

jeffy777
Apr 4, 2010, 02:38 PM

I multitask on my jail broken iPod Touch 2G all the time.

As others have said, the iPad hardware is more than capable.

goobot
Apr 4, 2010, 02:39 PM
Developers should really ask apple why they put so much effort in stopping jailbreakers while do put ZERO effort in releasing a new fairplay version for iphone apps.

This is quite an interesting read: http://www.complicatedstuff.com/2009/05/apple-needs-to-play-cat-and-mouse-with.html

I jailbreak for many reasons, none of which is to steal software.
In fact I've already spent 30 bucks in ipad apps before I can even get the ipad (i'm in Europe).

thank you for the post. jailbreak has nothing to do with piracy. also the people who get free apps where never going to buy them in the first place any way.

jmmo20
Apr 4, 2010, 02:46 PM
There's a great piece on Gizmodo on App Piracy that states about 10% of iPhones are Jailbroken, meaning 1 and 10 iPhone users has the ability to run pirated Apps. That number usually falls to 5% after an OS update, and slowly creeps back to 10% once a Jailbreak is available for the updated OS.

Further more, they make a great point about those that do pirate Apps:

Article: The Myth of iPhone App Piracy (http://gizmodo.com/5477732/the-myth-of-iphone-app-piracy)

I jailbreak basically for two things

- SBSettings
- BiteSMS

Apple would probably in the future release some sort of sbsettings functionality, but no way in hell they would allow an external app to replace the messages.app.

I don't pirate apps.

jared_kipe
Apr 4, 2010, 03:17 PM

Agree, I suspect that most struggling developers don't like jailbreaking at all.
I understand people use jailbreaking to do other things, like multi tasking et cetera, but bottom line - it supports piracy.

I suspect if the dev team didn't want to support piracy there would be a way to enable the features they want without borking the copy protection.

jmmo20
Apr 4, 2010, 04:40 PM
Agree, I suspect that most struggling developers don't like jailbreaking at all.
I understand people use jailbreaking to do other things, like multi tasking et cetera, but bottom line - it supports piracy.

I suspect if the dev team didn't want to support piracy there would be a way to enable the features they want without borking the copy protection.

jailbreaks by default do not enable piracy.
you have to install a patch app store file in order to install pirated apps.

the point is that this file hasn't changed at all since iphones first introduced the app store. the drm hasn't changed and the file is as easy to patch as it was in day one.

Apple could stop piracy by modifying this mobileinstallation file, by modifying the DRM routines, disabling the debugger so that crackers cannot get the auth keys of each app in the store.

Yet Apple prefers to play cat and mouse and make everyone believe that jailbreaks equals app piracy =)

heavensblade23
Apr 4, 2010, 04:43 PM

Impossible.

ozzyman500
Apr 4, 2010, 04:44 PM
Wow, that was quick.

iphonegeek786
Apr 4, 2010, 09:35 PM
Do you think it will be possible to port the Mac OS to the Ipad.

Applejuiced
Apr 4, 2010, 09:45 PM

So every person that Jailbreaks does it to pirate apps genious?

xraydoc
Apr 4, 2010, 09:45 PM

If my Droid can multitask, the iPad can just as easily.

Applejuiced
Apr 4, 2010, 10:59 PM

The Ipad got benchmarked and is actually faster than the iphone 3GS.
So if the 3GS can multitask while JB without any problems you can bet the ipad could also without even breaking a sweat.
http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=8652

keyofnight
Apr 4, 2010, 11:14 PM
Even the iphone 3G is hardware capable of multitasking. The only limit is the RAM available, which was fixed with the iphone 3GS which is more than capable of running safari, ipod, beejive and a game at the same time.

What makes you think the iPad isn't capable of this and much more?

The iPad is capable of it—everyone with a jailbroken phone knows it, sure. Apple is concerned with the user experience. Simply put: it has to "feel" right.

…but we users just like to jump the gun! It wasn't surprising when we found out that the same widgets used for Copy & Paste were used for the iPad SDK. I salute Apple for taking more time, even if it is frustrating. I will continue to jailbreak everything I own, but I refuse to pirate—Backgrounder and Winterboard are well worth the effort, AFAIC.

For the record: I'm 90% sure that some kind of multitasking is coming to the iPad / iPhone 3g(s) in the next year, and we'll be happy with it. (:

nStyle
Apr 4, 2010, 11:57 PM

Pretty much a given..

drayon
Apr 5, 2010, 12:07 AM

Cool, which ones? If they are worth pirating i'll get at them straight away ;-) Joking man. Honestly though, not everyone who Jailbreaks intends to pirate apps. Jailbreaking is most often done for the ability to theme the device with custom fonts, images, icons, sounds etc.

Scarpad
Apr 5, 2010, 12:16 AM
You guys are al living in unreality land. I don't jailbreak but everyone I know that does steals apps.

MatthewStorm
Apr 5, 2010, 12:18 AM
You guys are al living in unreality land. I don't jailbreak but everyone I know that does steals apps.

You must be 12 with no morals. No adult I know has ever pirated an App. It's done a lot less than you think.

FWW
Apr 5, 2010, 12:29 AM
I jailbreak'd my 3G today solely to tether. I paid 10$ for the only app I will put on the phone.

Jinkst
Apr 5, 2010, 12:37 AM
I think the pirating of apps was a much bigger problem before they started putting "Lite" versions of apps in the App Store, thereby giving people a chance to try a game or function out before actually purchasing the full version if they liked it.

I have never and doubt very much that I will ever use my iPhone's jailbroken state to use pirated apps. I did it moreso to theme it and have it look how I want it to, rather than like everyone else's.

CrAkD
Apr 5, 2010, 12:49 AM

your living in "unreality land" every person I know that jailbreaks does it for multitasking, themes, bitesms, iblacklist just to name a few. I rarely even hear about pirated apps other then when I read a news story about jailbreaking. Apple should allow apps like the ones I listed in the app store and I would no longer jailbreak.

puppyflightclub
Apr 5, 2010, 12:54 AM
You must be 12 with no morals. No adult I know has ever pirated an App. It's done a lot less than you think.

You gotta be kidding me.

bchreng
Apr 5, 2010, 01:25 AM
So every person that Jailbreaks does it to pirate apps genious?

Not every, but a good amount probably do it for that purpose.

CJS7070
Apr 5, 2010, 01:26 AM

Maybe so, but a good amount also do it for completely different purposes too.

goobot
Apr 5, 2010, 01:30 AM

Reseach says 10% do it for free apps. Then half of those people are using the free apps for trial.

mbell75
Apr 5, 2010, 01:36 AM
Soooooo. When can we jailbreak this beotch? I assume its similar to rooting an Android phone? Gives you full control over it? Will the wifi iPAD be able to multi task as well? I am all for this.

elpmas
Apr 5, 2010, 01:52 AM
pretty sick...i wish they would show more :(

Elise
Apr 5, 2010, 04:10 AM
There is no such word as "breaked," "broken" yes.

Ka Ora!
Apr 5, 2010, 04:53 AM
There is no such word as "breaked," "broken" yes.

If its not a Word why does it crop up on Wikipedia so many times.

http://www.google.com/search?q=breaked&btnGNS=Search+wikipedia.org&oi=navquery_searchbox&sa=X&as_sitesearch=wikipedia.org&hl=en

Probably time to gett'ed it'ed added to the English Language at Oxford. Bork'ed Un-words regularly become acceptably everyday use words. Its the basis for English Slang.

Now im of down to the Dog and Duck for a slash. And a packet of porkies and a Pint of their finest Irish river water.. Best use of a Bank Holiday.

budselectjr
Apr 5, 2010, 05:06 AM
Soooooo. When can we jailbreak this beotch? I assume its similar to rooting an Android phone? Gives you full control over it? Will the wifi iPAD be able to multi task as well? I am all for this.

They claim there are not gonna release it till the 3G model comes out.

Jailbreaking will let you install Cydia just like the iPhone.

Ka Ora!
Apr 5, 2010, 05:15 AM
They claim there are not gonna release it till the 3G model comes out.

Jailbreaking will let you install Cydia just like the iPhone.

Makes sense, As the 3g Release would be a good time to throw out a update as well. Mind you it would not surprise me if the Apple Developers were already aware of what a lot of the loop holes are in the system. If they leave some there then it makes it easier to close a couple more holes in the next update.

The Os is probably designed like a sieve leaves holes in it so you know were they are.:D

An un-Breakable system would prevent a lot of users from purchasing, Its worth leaving it flawed to real them in. Win Win.

Elise
Apr 5, 2010, 05:57 AM

http://www.google.com/search?q=breaked&btnGNS=Search+wikipedia.org&oi=navquery_searchbox&sa=X&as_sitesearch=wikipedia.org&hl=en

Probably time to gett'ed it'ed added to the English Language at Oxford. Bork'ed Un-words regularly become acceptably everyday use words. Its the basis for English Slang.

Now im of down to the Dog and Duck for a slash. And a packet of porkies and a Pint of their finest Irish river water.. Best use of a Bank Holiday.

You could use the same argument for the many other 'words' that people use that aren't actually real words! I'm just going by what the Oxford and Cambridge English dictionaries say, and they say that 'breaked' is not a word.

Ka Ora!
Apr 5, 2010, 06:11 AM
You could use the same argument for the many other 'words' that people use that aren't actually real words! I'm just going by what the Oxford and Cambridge English dictionaries say, and they say that 'breaked' is not a word.

Well I like the Emperors new suit, Digital age The modern dictionary is going to have to respond in in fashion to these new Borked words. Borked Bork'ed gets kicked back by the spell checker and Oxford/Cambridge Dictionaries but its a word in my day to day world and used by a substantive quantity of people across the globe. The Urban Dictionary gets more respect in this new millennia. Oxford an Cambridge are becoming outdated in favour of Street level Communication which happens on a greater scale than when both of those institutions were formed.

The dictionary is not gospel, And neither is the gospel for that fashion:rolleyes:

Its the word according to Jobs.:D

Elise
Apr 5, 2010, 06:25 AM
I'm pretty sure if you used the word 'breaked' within an application form when applying for a job or in a thesis it wouldn't go down well, and there's a reason for that, but hey as long as the urban dictionary says it's okay eh! ;):D

avaloncourt
Apr 5, 2010, 06:29 AM

Because anybody can post anything to Wikipedia. That's a very bad attempt to support your argument. If morons write whatever they want it doesn't make the usage correct. Look at the number of times in this forum alone that people use loose rather than lose because they don't seem to know the difference, or care.

Is the sentence correct? "My car breaked down on the highway."

Adding mangled words to the Oxford dictionary just reinforces acceptance of poor language due to some level of common usage.

Ka Ora!
Apr 5, 2010, 06:41 AM
Because anybody can post anything to Wikipedia. That's a very bad attempt to support your argument. If morons write whatever they want it doesn't make the usage correct. Look at the number of times in this forum alone that people use loose rather than lose because they don't seem to know the difference, or care.

Is the sentence correct? "My car breaked down on the highway."

Munter is not in the dictionary or Smeg Head both are very commonly used words in England, Smeg Head is used more by Red Dwarf fans:D

I have submitted Jailbreaked to the Urban Dictionary. Just to see if they allow it.

At least then I will have grounds:D

iphonegeek786
Apr 5, 2010, 07:08 AM
Does it really matter?

rusty2192
Apr 5, 2010, 07:34 AM

Cars support drunk driving. Therefore they should be banned. Jailbreaking, just like a car, is a vehicle designed to make life easier for people in various ways. What individual people CHOOSE to do with they vehicles is irrelevent and does not reflect on the vehicle's INTENDED purpose.

And no, I am in no ways condoning drunk driving. Like it or not, people have free will, and no matter how hard you try, some people will make absolutley STUPID decisions. But this does not define an entire community.

0dev
Apr 5, 2010, 07:58 AM
The real good thing about the iPad is the potential of the device, so I'm looking forward to this :)

To everyone saying that jailbreaking = piracy, you don't know what you're talking about. Anyone who knows the situation between the entertainment industry and P2P will tell you that fighting against technology does not work at stopping piracy. You can NEVER stop piracy, they will always find a way past any DRM, security, firewalls, protection, blocks, lisencing system, tracking system, or whatever.

People who pirate things also tend to spend more buying them too. Many studies have shown that to be true for music.

I recommend developers to either play nice with the jailbreak community or just leave them alone. Piracy is unavoidable, and any attempt at stopping it will only help the pirates to prevail more with stronger cracking techniques they'll they forced to develop.

Last but not least, jailbreakers don't equal pirates. My iPhone is jailbroken but I buy all my apps from the App Store fully legally.

Hankster
Apr 5, 2010, 08:04 AM
Does Flash run on a jailbroken iPad? Can you use any browser you want?

goosnarrggh
Apr 5, 2010, 09:23 AM

The ironic thing is, there are paid App Stores within the jailbroken ecosystem too. That is, there are people who actually jailbreak their iPhone OS devices, and turn around and actually pay money to purchase paid apps which can only run on jailbroken devices.

huntersn2
Apr 5, 2010, 09:32 AM
http://gizmodo.com/5509219/apple-ipad-already-jailbroken

I will be going to get mine today as my roommate has gotten tether and ssh to work on his iPad, making me jealous!

He is now working on installing Cydia, terminal, a root user and a few other things that were above my understanding.

What do you all think of this jailbreak? What do you want to see on the iPad that you couldn't if you left it stock? Does it make you mad or are you now happy Apple's choke hold is lifted from this amazing product?

I now will not be paying for a Wifi/3G version because I already have a 3GS iPhone that has an unlimited data plan. Thus if my iPad doesn't have Wifi, I will be tethering my iPhones 3G's service to my iPad. It seems a little profit hungry that Apple would have one paying for two 3G services and not allow tethering.

Also, in theory, one can control their home computer via ssh from their iPad with a jailbroken version. Sounds more fun to me than a stock iPad!

Off the top of my head here is what I'm thinking of as benefits for a jailbroken iPad....Unlimited Apps/free games, terminal command prompts, can run torrents, Cydia, unlimited video formats, organization of icons, customization of background/font/screen lock, GOOGLE VOICE...

Lastly, is it mere profit that Apple is after or is their another reason that I'm missing as to why Apple does not want their products to have their full potential?

Let me know what you all think please!
Long live Apple! ha

ipoddin
Apr 5, 2010, 09:33 AM
We know. It was posted yesterday.

miles01110
Apr 5, 2010, 09:33 AM
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=889419

henrikrox
Apr 5, 2010, 09:34 AM
There is already a bunch of posts/threads about this.

Search.

huntersn2
Apr 5, 2010, 09:39 AM
Ya I read them. Sorry I will edit, I have a different direction with mine if that's alright with you?

People arguing over jailbroke/jailbreaken/jailbreak terminology is worthless, so I started my own.

huntersn2
Apr 5, 2010, 09:50 AM
Apps I will be using with my soon to be "jailbroken" iPad...

Cydia, OpenSSH, Terminal, VNC, Springboard, a new video player that supports more formats such a xvid/mkv, a program better than iDisplay?

In theory, one will be able to control their mac computer screen from their iPad while on the same wireless network right?

jmor
Apr 5, 2010, 10:01 AM
I have an iPhone 3GS that is not jailbroken, while my brother's is and he keeps trying to convince me to do so as well. He does it in order to customize his phone. What I would like to see on the iPad before I would consider jailbraking:
-tethering to my iphone
-multitasking
-customizing

Which I think can be done so I would do it mainly just to be able to tether as I don't want to pay AT&T for 2 data plans when one has spotty service already and my iPhone has unlimited data. The one thing holding me back would be if I could not access the regular Apple App Store for my app purchases, do you have to use jailbroken app stores or can you still access the normal one as well?

MatthewStorm
Apr 5, 2010, 10:16 AM
The ironic thing is, there are paid App Stores within the jailbroken ecosystem too. That is, there are people who actually jailbreak their iPhone OS devices, and turn around and actually pay money to purchase paid apps which can only run on jailbroken devices.

Yes, I've bought Apps through the jailbreaked App store. There is some cool stuff there like MvTones. Video ringtones. Sweeet.

DerekS
Apr 5, 2010, 10:17 AM
Off the top of my head here is what I'm thinking of as benefits for a jailbroken iPad....Unlimited Apps/free games

Confirming my assertion that Jailbreak is all about piracy.

jav6454
Apr 5, 2010, 10:18 AM
Yes, thank you for shouting, also, old news. Do a search next time.

Elise
Apr 5, 2010, 10:20 AM
In other news Hitler invades Poland.

MatthewStorm
Apr 5, 2010, 10:24 AM
You gotta be kidding me.

The myth of App Piracy;

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2010/03/the-myth-of-iphone-app-piracy/

Mitchrapp
Apr 5, 2010, 10:29 AM

True Dat.

MatthewStorm
Apr 5, 2010, 10:30 AM

The post you quoted was not part of this thread. You should acquaint yourself with this article:

h00ligan
Apr 5, 2010, 10:34 AM
Well I like the Emperors new suit, Digital age The modern dictionary is going to have to respond in in fashion to these new Borked words. Borked Bork'ed gets kicked back by the spell checker and Oxford/Cambridge Dictionaries but its a word in my day to day world and used by a substantive quantity of people across the globe. The Urban Dictionary gets more respect in this new millennia. Oxford an Cambridge are becoming outdated in favour of Street level Communication which happens on a greater scale than when both of those institutions were formed.

The dictionary is not gospel, And neither is the gospel for that fashion:rolleyes:

Its the word according to Jobs.:D

Actually the OED is gospel for vocabulary the rest is slang. Frankly pervasive ignorance doesn't create modern language it destroys it. Unfortunately few people agree with me which is why Americans seem like ignorant fools to many outside the USA. To further the point apple contributed when they decided to use the word funner in the touch ad campaign. I know it's tough to believe or understand but there are people out there who cringe at the devolution of the English language.

diabolic
Apr 5, 2010, 10:35 AM
The post you quoted was not part of this thread.

His quote was from the OP. And it is all about piracy.

Mitchrapp
Apr 5, 2010, 10:37 AM
The post you quoted was not part of this thread. You should acquaint yourself with this article:

They still say piracy in the article you posted just that it doesn't matter in their opinion. Nonetheless it doesn't change the fact it's piracy.

Not judging just stating an opinion.

phobic99
Apr 5, 2010, 10:42 AM
NIce. Maybe I'll consider buying an iPad now. When I had my iPhones, jailbreaking added much more functionality for me and made things a lot more enjoyable.

MatthewStorm
Apr 5, 2010, 10:53 AM
His quote was from the OP. And it is all about piracy.

You are completely wrong if you think it's all about piracy. It's about customizing your device the way you want it not the way someone else tells you it should be. Of course there will be piracy. There always will be those who are dishonest and lack moral fiber. But each of us can do our part to combat piracy if we encounter it.

I work in the entertainment field. Sometimes I run into folks who pirate films from the Net or sell pirated DVD's. I usually, if circumstances permit, try to explain how their thievery directly affects my livelihood. These are not bad people, per say. They just don't realize how their dishonest actions directly impact others.

I have always had a jailbreaked iPhone. I have never pirated an App. I am the norm rather than the exception.

Mitchrapp
Apr 5, 2010, 10:57 AM
You are completely wrong if you think it's all about piracy. It's about customizing your device the way you want it not the way someone else tells you it should be. Of course there will be piracy. There always will be those who are dishonest and lack moral fiber. But each of us can do our part to combat piracy if we encounter it.

I work in the entertainment field. Sometimes I run into folks who pirate films from the Net or sell pirated DVD's. I usually, if circumstances permit, try to explain how their thievery directly affects my livelihood. These are not bad people, per say. They just don't realize how their dishonest actions directly impact others.

I have always had a jailbreaked iPhone. I have never pirated an App. I am the norm rather than the exception.

Of course there are honest people. But don't kid yourself -- the majority of people will be pirating.

MatthewStorm
Apr 5, 2010, 11:02 AM
Of course there are honest people. But don't kid yourself -- the majority of people will be pirating.

Actually, the majority of people are honest. It's the minority that's not.

As I stated before in a different thread I know a LOT of people with jailbreaked iPhones. NONE of them uses pirated Apps. And they don't know anyone who does, either.

That doesn't mean we don't know how to. We do. We just choose not to.

Pared
Apr 5, 2010, 11:02 AM

I would say you're oblivious if you really believe this.

Mitchrapp
Apr 5, 2010, 11:11 AM
Actually, the majority of people are honest. It's the minority that's not.

As I stated before in a different thread I know a LOT of people with jailbreaked iPhones. NONE of them uses pirated Apps. And they don't know anyone who does, either.

That doesn't mean we don't know how to. We do. We just choose not to.

Like the music files from downloading a torrent? They'll out there. Lots of them.

MatthewStorm
Apr 5, 2010, 11:17 AM
Like the music files from downloading a torrent? They'll out there. Lots of them.

I'm not talking about torrents. Just jailbreaking.

Mitchrapp
Apr 5, 2010, 11:21 AM
I'm not talking about torrents. Just jailbreaking.

Sure but some of those illegal music guys have ipads, right? My point really was that jail breaking causes piracy to an extent. 5%, 10% -- either way too much.

No worries :).

goosnarrggh
Apr 5, 2010, 11:35 AM
Sure but some of those illegal music guys have ipads, right? My point really was that jail breaking causes piracy to an extent. 5%, 10% -- either way too much.
Apple's insistence that all Apps must be distributed through them, and even then only if the Apps meet their eligibility requirements, with no practical recourse for widespread alternate distribution if Apple rejects the app, causes jailbreaking. And as you said, Jailbreaking causes piracy. So by extension, Apple causes piracy. :D

CylonGlitch
Apr 5, 2010, 11:37 AM
Apple's insistence that all Apps must be distributed through them, and even then only if the Apps meet their eligibility requirements, with no recourse for alternate distribution if Apple rejects the app, causes jailbreaking. And as you said, Jailbreaking causes piracy. So by extension, Apple causes piracy. :D

And if you didn't buy the iPad, there wouldn't be any piracy, thus by extension, YOU caused piracy. (you being a general term, not the author specifically).

Pared
Apr 5, 2010, 12:11 PM
Apple's insistence that all Apps must be distributed through them, and even then only if the Apps meet their eligibility requirements, with no practical recourse for widespread alternate distribution if Apple rejects the app, causes jailbreaking. And as you said, Jailbreaking causes piracy. So by extension, Apple causes piracy. :D

This is the worst example of rationalization I've ever seen.

chriskzoo
Apr 5, 2010, 12:17 PM

Thy doth protest too much!

It's the same thing when people gripe about companies like Comcast shaping P2P traffic on their networks because 99.9% (probably more) of P2P traffic is of copyrighted, pirated material. That doesn't mean that I agree with the equation that 1 pirated copy = 1 lost sale, but I'm not so naive to think that most people who complain about something like this being locked down are indeed going to pirate with it.

Just look at PSP software sales versus hardware sales.

mbell75
Apr 5, 2010, 12:17 PM
I would not be jailbreaking my ipad to steal apps. I think I can afford a few bucks for an app I want :) I would want to do it to be able to multi task. Its so stupid that you cant even have Pandora playing in the background while you do something else. Being able to multi task is a huge reason I chose an Android phone over an iphone. Hope Apple steps it up a bit.

goosnarrggh
Apr 5, 2010, 12:38 PM
This is the worst example of rationalization I've ever seen.

The smile at the end was intended to denote the sarcasm that should have been detectable in my comments. Clearly, Apple is no more responsible for App pirating that Ford or Honda are responsible for DUI fatalities.

Anyway, it is a simple statement of fact that jailbreaking the iPhone came into being long before there were even any App Store Apps in existence to be pirated in the first place. And shortly thereafter, still before the App Store had come into existence, original pieces of software were being authored, which could only be distributed to jailbroken iPhones.

The use of jailbreaking, therefore, to distribute Apps with the App author's consent, predates the use of jailbreaking to pirate Apps without the App author's consent: Jailbreaking's whole purpose for existence in the first place is to act as a mechanism to distribute Apps that cannot be distributed through Apple.

The fact that some people have co-opted it as a means to prevent some App developers from being paid for some of their work is a very regrettable side-effect. Just like the very regrettable side-effect that some drunk drivers have co-opted automobiles and turned them into lethal weapons.

Mactagonist
Apr 5, 2010, 01:08 PM

The only actual data on the matter does not support this. Do you have some other source? Or are you just making it up because it suits your preexisting belief?

Pared
Apr 5, 2010, 01:28 PM
The smile at the end was intended to denote the sarcasm that should have been detectable in my comments. Clearly, Apple is no more responsible for App pirating that Ford or Honda are responsible for DUI fatalities.

Anyway, it is a simple statement of fact that jailbreaking the iPhone came into being long before there were even any App Store Apps in existence to be pirated in the first place. And shortly thereafter, still before the App Store had come into existence, original pieces of software were being authored, which could only be distributed to jailbroken iPhones.

The use of jailbreaking, therefore, to distribute Apps with the App author's consent, predates the use of jailbreaking to pirate Apps without the App author's consent: Jailbreaking's whole purpose for existence in the first place is to act as a mechanism to distribute Apps that cannot be distributed through Apple.

The fact that some people have co-opted it as a means to prevent some App developers from being paid for some of their work is a very regrettable side-effect. Just like the very regrettable side-effect that some drunk drivers have co-opted automobiles and turned them into lethal weapons.

Ha, went over my head then. Bravo.

jeffy777
Apr 5, 2010, 08:54 PM
Any updates on this?

jared_kipe
Apr 6, 2010, 05:57 PM
Cars support drunk driving. Therefore they should be banned. Jailbreaking, just like a car, is a vehicle designed to make life easier for people in various ways. What individual people CHOOSE to do with they vehicles is irrelevent and does not reflect on the vehicle's INTENDED purpose.

And no, I am in no ways condoning drunk driving. Like it or not, people have free will, and no matter how hard you try, some people will make absolutley STUPID decisions. But this does not define an entire community.

Um driving intoxicated is illegal, jailbreaking is not. What is "banned" is not the cars, its the alcohol.... so ... by your own logic we should make jailbreaking illegal!

The difference, you are hoping people gloss over, is that jailbreaking is NOT like a car in that the car can ALREADY be used to drive drunk, the iPhone cannot be used out of the box for people to steal apps.

jared_kipe
Apr 6, 2010, 06:04 PM

People throw around the idea that if someone "wouldn't purchase an app anyway" then they don't hurt the developers or paying customers.

Well maybe they wouldn't, but if they really really wanted to use the app they would. And what gives them the right to use and benefit from something other people willingly pay for?

At BEST: This is kinda akin to people driving like *******s, you know the one who get into a turning lane to pass you for no real reason. It doesn't really hurt you, but I bet it makes you mad.