Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 10, 2007
Going to the Apple store tomorrow to buy
my iPad.

Was also going to buy the official case and
dock.

However, reading posts here, many say not
to buy both as it is counterproductive.

For those that feel that way can you elaborate?

I was going to keep the iPad in the case while
in use and traveling. At night, take it out and
put it on the dock to charge.

Thought I would also keep it on the dock as
a digital frame.

Is it a pain-in-the-ass to constantly remove
the iPad from the case?

Should I just buy the iPad case and forget
about the dock?

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
I purchased the iPad case and the dock. The case is EXTREMELY difficult to put on and off of the iPad, and the iPad won't go into the dock while in the case.
If I were you, I would just get the dock. The case is NOT worth $39.

rtay

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2010
I love the case. I think it is a must have. It is awesome to prop up your iPad when you type of have it on your lap and just surfing the web. I have used it as a picture frame too, putting it in the mode where apple shows it playing movies. My apple store didn't have the dock, so that wont be in til probably Thursday for me.

MarketingGuy

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2010
Hillsborough, NJ
You might also want to look at the Incase Convertible Book Jacket (they have them at many Apple Stores). If you prop it up with these cases, then the dock may not be necessary. Of course, the dock props it up in portrait mode, while the Incase and Apple cases prop it up in landscape mode -- really depends on how you are going to use it.

I personally opted for the Incase Neoprene Sleeve Plus for when it leaves the house, else it's going to be used without a case so I can use the dock + Bluetooth keyboard.

malnar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
A carrying case for me - stick the Ipad inside, zipper it closed, and take it with me wherever I need to go, then take the Ipad out. I don't really see any need for permanent enclosure, it seems to destroy all the comfort of the Ipad. I have a Hard Candy Bubble sleeve on the way right now. Looks pretty close to indestructible.

nimbleslick

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2007
I actually just purchased the case and the dock yesterday, after having my iPod for a day. I was actually really surprised at how much I liked the Apple case - it is slim, grippy, and really feels good to use. It's not going to protect your iPad from a fall, but I doubt that any slim case will. The one downside is that you cannot dock the iPad while in the case. The case is tight fitting, and it can be difficult getting the iPad in and out the first couple of times, but I appreciate the tight fit and don't feel like the iPad will fall out of it.

Using the Apple case to type on is a real pleasure. The angle is perfect, and it is solid enough to count on for prolonged typing. Using the case to feature the iPad upright is downright silly. The viewing angle is not effective enough and it feels flimsy.

The good folks at the Apple store were kind of enough to show my the iPad in the case - and that's what ultimately sold me. I have yet to use the dock.

B

gusnyc

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2007
New York City
Useful case

I have the case and the dock. I find the case to be much more useful than the dock. I can use it to adjust the angle on almost every surface. The case looks really cool (I am not a case person, my iPhone doesn't have one) and it also protects the iPad without adding bulk or noticeable weight.

I will return the dock and get an extra power adapter instead.

Gus

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
The case loosens up after a while - it's much easier to remove and insert the iPad case now than it was originally.

chriskzoo

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2005
Best solution so far - which is what I went with:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/889116/

$2.99 picture frame stand from JoAnn, no need to take it out of the case and it looks great sitting there (plus you can put it in portrait or horizontal)

826869913_wZUDy-M.jpg

Matthew9559

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2007
Cleveland, OH
I agree, the case is great. Protects the device very well, and the multiple positions help to make any situation comfortable from my experience so far. Also interested in a dock.

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2009
I bought the Apple iPad Case when I bought the iPad. The build quality of that case is kind of flimsy and the seams around the edges really take away from the beauty of the iPad. I did like that the case could be used to prop up the iPad for typing or to use as a picture frame. It was a chore to get the iPad into the case -- and out of (which is necessary from time to time to clean out dust/dirt) -- but ultimately it was better to have that case than nothing at all.

I say was because I'm no longer using it. I really only need a case to hold the iPad when I'm traveling. The device is too sexy to cover it up 24/7 and I like how it feels naked. ;) I wound up getting the Incase Travel Kit Plus. This case is expensive and big but offers lots of space. Lord knows that space will be handy for all the little iPad connectors and things.

The Incase kit comes with a stand that offers two viewing angles. Good for watching movies, slideshows, etc. However I do miss the Apple Case landscape prop-up-so-you-can-type-better feature. I've been using Pages to type up docs and find that typing with the iPad flat is just not comfy. To add a bit of slope I ghetto-rigged this (for a couple of bucks) using some foam cabinet liner. It provides non-slip (but somewhat spongy) support for the iPad whilst typing in landscape. Ghetto but it works and can be rolled up and tossed in the bulky Incase travel kit. :p

Attachments

• IMG_0230.JPG
    IMG_0230.JPG
    797.2 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_0231.jpg
    IMG_0231.jpg
    681.7 KB · Views: 145

kes601

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2008
To those who do the cutting "fix" (I just did), I would suggest not cutting it out all the way like the instructions say. Just cut the sides and then you have a flap that would remain there and you could just move it out of the way when docking. I did not do this and now I think the case looks a little funny w/the silver of the iPad showing through in the back.

I'm still glad I did surgery on the case though as I was not looking forward to taking the iPad in and out of the case but I love the horizontal typing w/the case on.

unkn0wnsoldier

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2009
Fountain, Co
I was stoked about getting the apple case. After retrieving it from the nearest Best Buy today, I quickly slapped my iPad in there. About seven minutes later, the case is back in the box, ready for return.

It was good for landscape typing, and I think it would be good as a prop on the nightstand. The deal-breaker was how the case felt when using the iPad in the portrait orientation. The back flap adds extra bulk, making it difficult to use. Another think I don't like about it is how easily the inside of the flap attracts dirt and dust while it's sitting on the desk in "prop mode". I couldn't think of closing the flap over the screen with dirt on it. That is just asking for scratches. Personally, I think I'm better off without the case. When I return it, I'm going to pick up the dock. I originally just wanted to pick up the dock today, but passed when I saw the case in stock.

patp

Apr 10, 2008
I bought the Apple iPad Case when I bought the iPad. The build quality of that case is kind of flimsy and the seams around the edges really take away from the beauty of the iPad. I did like that the case could be used to prop up the iPad for typing or to use as a picture frame. It was a chore to get the iPad into the case -- and out of (which is necessary from time to time to clean out dust/dirt) -- but ultimately it was better to have that case than nothing at all.

I say was because I'm no longer using it. I really only need a case to hold the iPad when I'm traveling. The device is too sexy to cover it up 24/7 and I like how it feels naked. ;) I wound up getting the Incase Travel Kit Plus. This case is expensive and big but offers lots of space. Lord knows that space will be handy for all the little iPad connectors and things.

The Incase kit comes with a stand that offers two viewing angles. Good for watching movies, slideshows, etc. However I do miss the Apple Case landscape prop-up-so-you-can-type-better feature. I've been using Pages to type up docs and find that typing with the iPad flat is just not comfy. To add a bit of slope I ghetto-rigged this (for a couple of bucks) using some foam cabinet liner. It provides non-slip (but somewhat spongy) support for the iPad whilst typing in landscape. Ghetto but it works and can be rolled up and tossed in the bulky Incase travel kit. :p

That Incase looks awesome and I've been looking at that for a few weeks now. I 'm considering adding the Belkin Clear Vue case to it. Does the Incase bag seem like it has enough space for the iPad with a clear case around it?

Love the cabinet liner idea!

DotComCTO

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2006
Here's a solution for the dock/case incompatibility issue.

I just took the plunge and made that modification to my Apple case. It was super easy to do as I used an XActo knife to carefully make the cuts rather than using a scissor. This left me with very clean cut lines.

For anyone else planning this approach, I found that - aside from measuring and marking the cuts first - inserting a nice sized piece cardboard from a corrugated shipping box (like the one my Apple keyboard dock was shipped in) into the slot where the iPad goes in the case is very helpful. That allowed me to apply pressure to the blade while cutting without harming the rest of the case. Also, as someone else mentioned in the link above, rather than cutting 73mm x 30mm, I cut 73mm x 25mm and that works just fine.

Now I really like my Apple case!

:D

--DotComCTO

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.