PDA

View Full Version : So no tab key on iPad keyboard?

samcraig
Apr 4, 2010, 03:57 PM
I can understand on the iPhone. But no tab key on the iPad? Weird. I am assuming that Pages doesn't magically add one either. Hmmm

ndriver182
Apr 4, 2010, 04:04 PM
I can understand on the iPhone. But no tab key on the iPad? Weird. I am assuming that Pages doesn't magically add one either. Hmmm

Yes this was kind of a bummer. I naturally went to use the tab button a few times yesterday only to find that it didn't exist. Maybe it would be nice if they made the return key slightly smaller so that they could fit a tab key on the left side.

sharp65
Apr 4, 2010, 04:05 PM
Is there a way to indent a paragraph inside of keynote?

PBF
Apr 4, 2010, 04:06 PM
That's why iPad is nothing but an oversized iPod Touch.

samcraig
Apr 4, 2010, 04:06 PM
You'd think with pages now they would have done it. How do you tab in pages? Move around in numbers?

JonHimself
Apr 4, 2010, 04:16 PM

Thanks! I was going to get one but I think you've convinced me otherwise. I'll stick to just using Pages on my iPho.......

CJS7070
Apr 4, 2010, 04:18 PM
Having a tab button would be nice in safari, too.

spectre51
Apr 4, 2010, 04:20 PM
Having a tab button would be nice in safari, too.

Why do you need a tab button in safari. If you are needing it for forms and such there is the next button above the keyboard to go to the next box.

Eso
Apr 4, 2010, 04:24 PM
Please don't tell me you got one, Sam!

I'd also like to see how well manipulating the cursor in Pages pans out in real use. Moving the cursor to a particular point, selecting a chunk of text and moving it around in the document, and selecting a large amount of text that requires scrolling across the screen (very hard to do with the iPhone). Tasks like this are very common for rearranging paragraphs, editing punctuation, and changing font style/size and paragraph spacing.

Good luck.

dave1812dave
Apr 4, 2010, 04:31 PM
Please don't tell me you got one, Sam!

I'd also like to see how well manipulating the cursor in Pages pans out in real use. Moving the cursor to a particular point, selecting a chunk of text and moving it around in the document, and selecting a large amount of text that requires scrolling across the screen (very hard to do with the iPhone). Tasks like this are very common for rearranging paragraphs, editing punctuation, and changing font style/size and paragraph spacing.

Good luck.

he didn't SAY he bought one. he was just asking questions. perhaps he did, but I think you are inferring something that he didn't state.

rdowns
Apr 4, 2010, 04:32 PM
In the Chase app (iPhone version), the keyboard the iPad brings up has no decimal point. Makes paying a bill rather difficult. :rolleyes:

samcraig
Apr 4, 2010, 04:36 PM
I did get one. You can read why in my thread confessions of an impulse ipad buyer

diabolic
Apr 4, 2010, 05:15 PM
I'd be shocked if this wasn't addressed in the next update. I'd guess they're already getting a lot of complaints about it.

qpid360
Apr 4, 2010, 05:31 PM
In the Pages app, you have to turn into portrait mode and press an icon which lets you tab. This is stupid and needs to be addressed asap. Makes no sense for me to be typing, pick up the iPad to turn it, press the icon, select to tab, then place iPad in horizontal mode again to continue typing.

HBEE
May 9, 2010, 09:08 PM
I haven't seen this posted anywhere, but I just figured out how to indent a bullet point in Keynote using the touch screen.

If you double click on the bulleted text, you get option to cut, paste etc. If you then touch between the bullet point and the text, the whole line gets highlighted and you can move it wherever you like. You can indent it or move it up or down.

I hope this isn't obvious to others 'cause I'll feel like a dork.

antiprotest
May 9, 2010, 09:14 PM

The iPod Touch is nothing but an undersized iPad, without the 3G.

ovrlrd
May 9, 2010, 09:19 PM
There is nothing I hate more than editing someone elses document that they wrote up that has spacing in it that was created using the tab key. If you do not know how to use margins in Pages then you should go learn how. Using the tab key is like typing on a typewriter from old days, you have a word processor that is capable of creating excellent margins and advanced spacing but you choose to screw up the entire formatting of your document by using the tab key? You are ridiculous, such an awful habit to reinforce, I am glad Apple did not include a tab key.

antiprotest
May 9, 2010, 09:21 PM
There is nothing I hate more than editing someone elses document that they wrote up that has spacing in it that was created using the tab key. If you do not know how to use margins in Pages then you should go learn how. Using the tab key is like typing on a typewriter from old days, you have a word processor that is capable of creating excellent margins and advanced spacing but you choose to screw up the entire formatting of your document by using the tab key? You are ridiculous, such an awful habit to reinforce, I am glad Apple did not include a tab key.

What about paragraph indents?

I haven't used paragraph indents for years, even though I write books, since it is now acceptable to do without them.

But I wonder how people do it nowadays, if not with the tab key?

ovrlrd
May 9, 2010, 10:04 PM
What about paragraph indents?

I haven't used paragraph indents for years, even though I write books, since it is now acceptable to do without them.

But I wonder how people do it nowadays, if not with the tab key?

There is a proper way to do indents by either using margins or inserting an indent, which Pages also has a button for.

Again, the tab key is improper these days because it leads to bad formatting and no easy way to correct it without painstakingly going through a document line by line.

steel magnolia
May 10, 2010, 09:58 AM
There is a proper way to do indents by either using margins or inserting an indent, which Pages also has a button for.

Again, the tab key is improper these days because it leads to bad formatting and no easy way to correct it without painstakingly going through a document line by line.

Wow, learn something new all the time on here, I never thought about this and use tab frequently, thanks for making me think about this :)

Patty

derekgreer
May 23, 2010, 08:01 AM
I tried to edit a wiki earlier which required the use of tabs to indicate indents, but discovered there wasn't one. Tabs aren't just used for navigation and indentation in text documents.

Lipplog
May 25, 2010, 06:31 PM

The tab key is useless... Unless you're a screenwriter. In the Final Draft software, the tab key is used to jump from action to character to dialogue to slug line. For us, the tab key is essential. Which may be one of the reasons why they are taking so long to release a version for the iPad. It's been in the testing phase forever.

Fry-man22
May 25, 2010, 08:58 PM

Fanboy post of the day winner - so essentially, if it doesn't do it then you're wanting to do the wrong thing.

The device shouldn't decide the proper form for my interaction, I should decide that...

xgfx
May 26, 2010, 03:26 AM
Although I can see the argument for not using tabs in word processing, and I can kind of agree with that, I would still expect a tab key. My reasoning? Well when typing an email, or filling in a form online it can be quite a pain to keep repositioning my hands from typing mode, to having to touch somewhere on the screen to go to the next field.

eg. typing an email; going from the 'to' field, to the subject, then the message body would be so much quicker with a tab, or even create a new button, calling it something like 'next'?

That's really my only larger gripe with the iPad right now.

kaelell
May 26, 2010, 05:58 AM
perhaps the thinking is, for any serious typing, youll be using the physical keyboard. And why not , its great.

hliewprk
Jul 14, 2010, 01:10 PM
2 fingers on Space Bar, 2 spaces; 3 fingers on Space Bar, indent 3 spaces and even 4 fingers work. Give it a try.

EssentialParado
Jul 15, 2010, 11:17 AM

Thanks for making that point. it really does make sense to learn how to do things properly instead of complaining that the hack we were ignorantly using before doesn't exist anymore.

2 fingers on Space Bar, 2 spaces; 3 fingers on Space Bar, indent 3 spaces and even 4 fingers work. Give it a try.
Great tip! This is very useful for simple writing apps like Notepad.

I really wish these little shortcuts were documented by Apple somewhere.

Hammie
Jul 15, 2010, 03:46 PM
Maybe, if you press the space bar five times you will get a tab.

Oh wait, you do. :D

j-a-x
Apr 1, 2011, 01:33 PM
I haven't seen this posted anywhere, but I just figured out how to indent a bullet point in Keynote using the touch screen.

If you double click on the bulleted text, you get option to cut, paste etc. If you then touch between the bullet point and the text, the whole line gets highlighted and you can move it wherever you like. You can indent it or move it up or down.

I hope this isn't obvious to others 'cause I'll feel like a dork.

+1 you just made my day because now I can indent my presentation! Thanks!

cbronfman
Apr 1, 2011, 02:01 PM
Thanks from me too. Very useful info.

lewjos1972
Jun 22, 2011, 04:00 PM
So you want to tab? Double tap, click More..., then Insert..., and there you have it! Tab!!!!

xStatiCa
Jun 22, 2011, 05:39 PM
Although I can see the argument for not using tabs in word processing, and I can kind of agree with that, I would still expect a tab key. My reasoning? Well when typing an email, or filling in a form online it can be quite a pain to keep repositioning my hands from typing mode, to having to touch somewhere on the screen to go to the next field.

eg. typing an email; going from the 'to' field, to the subject, then the message body would be so much quicker with a tab, or even create a new button, calling it something like 'next'?

That's really my only larger gripe with the iPad right now.
There are already buttons to *tab* between fields using safari.

Blorzoga
Jun 22, 2011, 08:17 PM

Yeah, that's all it is, genius.

lewjos1972
Jun 23, 2011, 04:45 AM
So you want to tab? Double tap, click More..., then Insert..., and there you have it! Tab!!!!

I should mention that I found this in Pages. Not sure if it works on other programs

fjtb2000
Jun 23, 2012, 02:31 PM
My old Treo 650 smartphone had a tab key that functioned perfectly. Perfect columns whenever needed. It's Very outdated now and Treo long discontinued- but I find myself making columns all the time. To make indented columns Now on my iPhone I hit space bar a 3-9 times for each indented column needed and deal with poor results __THX APPLE__WHY IS THAT?___ or I do the following if it must be perfect.
____ (1) Example...My old Treo 650 had perfect keyboard functions
____ (2) Example...My old Treo 650 had perfect keyboard functions
____ (3) Example...My old Treo 650 had perfect keyboard functions
__________BUT REALLY APPLE DEVELOPERS TEK GUYS......
__________WHY NO "TAB" FEATURE ON IPHONE OR IPAD????

I also pray for the day Apple copies Palm Treo's FAR better Calender too.

Ahuber
Jan 29, 2013, 03:58 PM
You can insert a tab using the insert button in the pop up dialog that appears when you tap in the text of your doc. However, does anyone know of a quicker shortcut (or had luck creating one)?