Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheTesseract

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2010
I would like to bridge the network between the ethernet and the wireless on my mac mini. This is so I can access my networking using the N wireless through my mac mini instead of my router's G wireless. I would like to get the dhcp address from my router so I am on the same network. This is so I can access my server that is on the wired network using AFP. In other words use my mac mini as a Access Point.

For you networking buffs, I would like to use my mac mini as a bridge on layer 2, NOT as a router on layer 3.

This makes the mac mini act as a router not a bridge. (mac mini runs DHCP gives out 10.* address). This clearly won't work.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.5/en/8156.html

Mac mini runs OSX 1.6
MacBook pro runs OS 1.5

jw2002

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2008
Aside from purchasing something like IpNetRouter or writing your own kernel extensions, bridging isn't possible out of the box under either OS X or Server.

TheTesseract

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2010
Easiest solution without spending money that I have thought of is to set up a windows VM do the bridging for me.

..wrong on so many levels

Not related to the VM idea. Any one know how to turn off the DHCP server on internet connection sharing?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.