PDA

View Full Version : Buying a stylus, some questions. Pogo stylus vs. cheaper Chinese ones?

Doju
Apr 4, 2010, 08:23 PM
Pogo stylus is $12 plus shipping. On eBay I can find two (that at least look) similar or identical styli costing 2 for $1 with free shipping. Sure, $12 is hardly that much, but styli are small and unfortunately very easy to lose. If I could get 24+ for the same price as one Pogo stylus, well, that would be very convenient for when I inevitably lose one (or multiple).

BUT, the cheaper ones say something akin to "made for tapping, not drawing". Okay… is there a difference? If it can tap it can draw a line, no?

Example: http://cgi.ebay.ca/2x-Stylus-Touch-Pen-for-iPod-iTouch-Apple-iPhone-3G-3Gs_W0QQitemZ370302498580QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPDA_Accessories?hash=item5637bfb714#ht_2677wt_972

Would the above stylus work? Anyone ever use a stylus with an iPhone, or preferably an iPad?

Note, I'll obviously be using my finger for 99% of things. Styli suck. But for writing notes in class, or diagrams, or drawing, the finger just doesn't cut it.

Doju
Apr 5, 2010, 11:06 AM
Anyone?

BeyondtheTech
Apr 5, 2010, 12:47 PM
I have the "cheaper Chinese ones" with an angled tip I bought from DealExtreme. Would have paid extra (or the right amount) for the better version, as I have a hard time getting the touch to work unless it's at a proper angle.

ryanv
Apr 5, 2010, 12:55 PM
Must say I'm very happy with my Pogo Sketch. Can't speak to alternatives, but the Pogo is accurate. The clip helps but if you're really worried you can tie a string to the end and attach to your iPad case?

Timothy
Apr 5, 2010, 12:57 PM
I'm curious as to why Pogo lists various options for the different iPhones and the iPad.

I have an iPad and a first-gen iPhone. Won't the pogo styli work equally well on any of the apple devices?

Webnasty
Apr 5, 2010, 12:58 PM
I have a Pogo Sketch stylus, and it is not a great experience using it.

It works best writing holding it straight up and down. Try writing like that, it's not natural.

You don't just touch the screen with it, you kind of have to push to get it to register.

It is a big rounded ball, not a point like you are used to writing with.

You can't rest your hand on the surface like you do when normally do when you write, because that triggers the surface to thinking you are touching it.

The big rounded ball looks like it is glued on, and that repeated use and it will tear off, and you will jam down on the surface accidentally with the metal handle.

All in all, I am very disappointed with it. I am thinking of returning it, but wonder if there are any better solutions.

cainnovacaine
Apr 5, 2010, 01:00 PM
Beware the "tapping not drawing", it may mean it was intended for a resistive touchscreen and not a cap active one... PogonStylus is worth the money.

zarusoba
Apr 6, 2010, 05:17 AM
I've used three different types of styli: one with a rubberish tip, one with a flat angled clear plastic tip and the Pogo sketch (all on iPod touch).

The Pogo is the only one I'd recommend. Mind you, my main use is drawing and painting.

raymondkerr
Apr 13, 2010, 05:26 PM
I purchased a cheap version called exspect stylus and it isn't any good for drawing. It comes with a rubber end which has a sort of "sticky" feel. It is designed for tapping, and you have to apply a fair amount of pressure even to push a icon on the iPhone. It has a "Sticky" feel which makes it even more difficult to swipe pages, or even unlock the iPhone.

I am getting an iPad soon (UK) and will be wanting to sketch using Sketchbook Pro and brushes along with maybe adobe ideas. I'll be buying a Pogo Sketch for this, the end of the Pogo is a sort of micro-fibre material which doesn't appear to be of the best quality but I guess at the moment it is the best stylus out there for sketching/drawing. I have watched various youtube videos of the Pogo and iPad and it seems to be a good choice.

zacheryjensen
Apr 14, 2010, 05:45 AM
I have a Pogo Sketch stylus, and it is not a great experience using it.

It works best writing holding it straight up and down. Try writing like that, it's not natural.

You don't just touch the screen with it, you kind of have to push to get it to register.

It is a big rounded ball, not a point like you are used to writing with.

You can't rest your hand on the surface like you do when normally do when you write, because that triggers the surface to thinking you are touching it.

The big rounded ball looks like it is glued on, and that repeated use and it will tear off, and you will jam down on the surface accidentally with the metal handle.

All in all, I am very disappointed with it. I am thinking of returning it, but wonder if there are any better solutions.

I'm with you on this, I noticed all the same problems with the pogo stylus. It was a waste of money.

It has inspired me to just keep using my fingers, which really, is what the iPad and friends are designed for. Fingers. No extras necessary.