PDA

View Full Version : Boxee question

wombat888
Apr 5, 2010, 01:26 AM
I love my Apple TV but a chain of events has me thinking about going Boxee. A little background ...

I currently have: MacBook aluminum 2.4GHz; Apple TV; 46" Sony XBR; iPod touch 64gb; Kindle 2; Xbox 360; Playstation 3; 5.1 surround system. Everything connected with HDMI where possible, else component.

I have a new desktop coming in a few days, already ordered ... I bought it mostly for video editing and Web browsing on the TV. It is: HP with i7-930 processor; 9gb of RAM; 2TB hard drive; TV tuner; 1gb video card with DVI, HDMI and VGA connections; Soundblaster card; Blu-Ray player and burner.

I was halfway ignoring the iPad, but the most recent reviews have me thinking seriously about it. And since I now have this desktop coming, it occurred to me ... maybe I should sell the laptop and use the iPad for mobile computing. Then use the desktop for power computing. That set off a series of thoughts about streamlining my array of gadgets ... for instance, if I like reading on the iPad, I'd sell the Kindle.

Which brings me to the Apple TV ... and again ... I love it and have no special desire to replace it. I do not feel limited by it. My basic question is whether I can easily do the same/similar things via a PC; if so, it becomes duplicative.

Boxee people ... on a Windows 7 computer ... can I:

- run Boxee on one monitor (ie the television) while I do other stuff in the other monitor? I have a 21.5" 1920x1080 monitor I could hook up via DVI while I use HDMI for the TV.
- get to my iTunes library via Boxee, with album art etc?
- play movies I bought via iTunes? Play movies I rented via iTunes?

roidy
Apr 5, 2010, 04:21 AM
- run Boxee on one monitor (ie the television) while I do other stuff in the other monitor? I have a 21.5" 1920x1080 monitor I could hook up via DVI while I use HDMI for the TV.
Not sure, you could maybe run Boxee in a windows instead of fullscreen and move it onto your TV. But Boxee is quite cpu intensive when playing video so every other task you run on the computer takes away cpu power from Boxee and you may end up with stuttering video.

- get to my iTunes library via Boxee, with album art etc?
Yes just add your iTunes media folder to boxee and let it scan it.

- play movies I bought via iTunes? Play movies I rented via iTunes?

NO..... iTunes purchased/rented content has DRM protected and is only playable using Apple software and devices.