PDA

View Full Version : Memory

HueyLANG
Sep 15, 2004, 10:47 AM
Can anyone give me any good reasons why i should upgrade my ram for my new IMAC?

edesignuk
Sep 15, 2004, 10:53 AM
How much does it have at the moment?

OS X loves RAM, just like any other modern OS. You will want a minimum of 512MB, but personally I wouldn't have anything less that 1GB (especially with any G5). More RAM = a faster system, more apps open at once etc.

RAM is a cheap performance booster. Buy as much as you can afford - BUT NOT FROM APPLE. www.crucial.com is your friend ;)

Estic
Sep 15, 2004, 11:13 AM
I ordered some ocz ram from newegg.com before it went out of stock. 2x dimms of 1gb sticks for 475 with shippping.

Once my imac is shipped (Oct 1) I will post how the ocz memory works with the system

Viet-my
Sep 17, 2004, 09:16 AM
hey guys I was wondering wich would be better to buy, Crucial ram or the Samsung from OWC? I see most people suggesting crucial, but I thought samsung is what Apple is using? And the samsung is 239.95 while crucials is 259.99.

Thanks in advance

Chip NoVaMac
Sep 17, 2004, 10:23 AM
hey guys I was wondering wich would be better to buy, Crucial ram or the Samsung from OWC? I see most people suggesting crucial, but I thought samsung is what Apple is using? And the samsung is 239.95 while crucials is 259.99.

Thanks in advance

Bought my Samsung 1gb PB memory from OWC, and it has been faultless. Good people over there too.

Chip NoVaMac
Sep 17, 2004, 10:25 AM
Can anyone give me any good reasons why i should upgrade my ram for my new IMAC?

The program Do I Need More Memory will help show you how much RAM you might need, and the performance increase you can expect by upgrading. You run the program as you go through your day to day tasks.