Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gino76ph

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
hiya i'm planning to buy a 3rd-gen iPod touch and was reading thru the features and notes on the device.

i have several .avi files that i have downloaded. may i ask is there a built-in feature to manually convert or auto convert video files (to the necesarry compatible format) before uploading them to the iPod Touch without compromising much on the video or audio qaulity?

thanks.

gino76ph

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
is Handbrake the best video converter? anything else?

doesn't iTunes have a feature to help convert audio or video files?

Thraun

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2008
Abbotsford, BC
Second on the Handbrake. I use it fairly often, works great for me. Now, why .avi is still the video file of choice is way beyond me, but Handbrake is easy to use, does its job, and it's free!

Patrick J

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Oporto, Portugal
Handbrake is very complicated at first sight.
Try Permute, costs 15$, and is BEAUTIFUL and minimalistic. Just how a Mac Video Converter should be.

If you want a free alternative, try Evom (my recommendation), or Miro. Both these boast the same slick interface as Permute, and are great for converting video for iPod.

gino76ph

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
Handbrake is very complicated at first sight.
Try Permute, costs 15$, and is BEAUTIFUL and minimalistic. Just how a Mac Video Converter should be.

If you want a free alternative, try Evom (my recommendation), or Miro. Both these boast the same slick interface as Permute, and are great for converting video for iPod.

is Evom free?

mustnotsleep

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2010
i have used most of these programs. i disliked handbrake for some reason, i forget why exactly. id recommend dvdfab6. it will do everything you need really easily and can also rip blurays and dvds to your hard drive.

NETEFX.NET

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2010
Fontana, CA
video conversion for ipods and iphones

You may also want to try Toast 10 - it has many uses and and convert your videos for use on your iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.