PDA

View Full Version : iBook or PowerBook for basic laptop?

Le Big Mac
Sep 15, 2004, 11:25 AM
Help me out. I'm looking for a basic mac laptop as a second computer, so it's probably the low-end iBook or PowerBook. Other than built-in airport and BT, plus some faster bits and pieces, what am I getting for the extra $400 or so for the powerbook? Am I missing something by thinking that the low-end iBook is a fantastic deal, relatively?

acceber
Sep 15, 2004, 11:30 AM
For your basic laptop, I would go with the iBook. A fantastic portable for the basics and basically comes with all you need. The extra money you're paying for the portable is for a machine that is a little faster, more hard drive space, and an airport card built in.

So yeah, I would go with the iBook unless you're planning to do lots of graphic design or games or iMovie making but for what you mentioned, the iBook should do you just fine.

18thTomorrow
Sep 15, 2004, 11:33 AM
iBook all the way. I love my 14" and take it everywhere with me. The battery life is fantastic. I use it for e-mail, taking notes in class, surfing the web, homework, and even Dreamweaver and Photoshop Elements. Handles everything like a champ. Plus it's durable.

Westside guy
Sep 15, 2004, 11:51 AM
I'm a Powerbook owner, and I'd say "it depends". One thing that I strongly prefer on the Powerbook vs. the iBook is the PB's keyboard. It is wonderful to type on. The iBook's keyboard feels like that of most non-Apple-laptop keyboards - somewhat flimsy.

My friend and I were doing a comparison on this yesterday, since he has an iBook and his wife complains about the keyboard's "feel".

You can always go to an Apple store and try them out for yourself.

Le Big Mac
Sep 15, 2004, 11:58 AM
So yeah, I would go with the iBook unless you're planning to do lots of graphic design or games or iMovie making but for what you mentioned, the iBook should do you just fine.

Yeah, that's what the iMac is for. This isn't for power use--iPhoto would probably be the most intensive activity. otherwise, it's web, email, word processing kinds of things. I've sort of been figuring that the powerbook is more for people who use it as a main computer, and need a bigger HD and more power. That's not what I'm planning, and I just wanted a reality check from folks who know this stuff well.

I'll go give the keyboard a try at a store.

And I can always get airport in the iBook (right?), just have to pay a bit extra for it.

VooDooPope
Sep 15, 2004, 01:22 PM
I recently switched my sister in law from windows to mac.

She fell in love with my powerbook but after looking at the features and prices she decided to go with a 14" iBook.

She loves it.

You can't go wrong either way.

jcook793
Sep 15, 2004, 02:32 PM
I don't find the iBook keyboard to be bad at all. I've heard a lot of people say the PowerBook's keyboard is tons better, and while it is an improvement, I don't find it to be that big of a deal. I've only had a G4 iBook, maybe the earlier models had more of a disparity.

I have a dual 2GHz G5 for "real" work, but my little 800MHz G4 iBook gets used a lot more often. For Safari/Mail/iPhoto/iTunes/Word it is more than adequate.

grapes911
Sep 15, 2004, 02:35 PM
If you want it as a 2nd computer, an ibook is fine. Also, I tell people: if you are just switching and you don't know which *book you need, go with the ibook.