Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier today, one of the developers behind iPhone game The Impossible Test let us know that he had observed evidence of three unreleased iPhone OS versions (4.0, 4.0.1, and 4.1) in his application's Pinch Media analytics. The news has drawn a bit of attention today, especially in light of today's announcement from Apple regarding an iPhone OS 4.0 preview event later this week, and Engadget was able to obtain a screenshot of the Pinch Media data.

160101-pinch_media_iphone_os_4.jpg

iPhone OS 4.0 was noted in Pinch Media analytics as long ago as last December, but mention of 4.0.1 and 4.1 versions appears to be new.

One issue is that operating system version numbers are relatively easy to fake on jailbroken devices, casting a significant amount of doubt on this report and causing us to post it to Page 2 simply for interest and discussion. Such information would be more reliable if it could be linked to Apple-owned IP addresses, but we have no indication that that is the case with this report.

Article Link: iPhone OS 4.0.1 and 4.1 Appear in Mobile Analytics Data

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
OK, I call serious fake. Apple hasn't even came out w/ version 4 yet, but already seeing a bug fix version of it (4.0.1)?

Plus, I like spoofing mine as "Yo momma" or "I'm 300 lbs. & naked*. Do you really want to know what browser I'm running?" Though if you really want to be a dork, say version 5 on a Powerbook G5.

*Just so you know, I am neither 300 lbs. nor naked.

jasarien

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2007
Stats like these are never reliable. Not when people are spoofing their version numbers for no reason.

People who jailbreak their iPhone/iPod are just a burden to legitimate app developers causing confusion and issues with their apps that wouldn't happen in non-jailbreak situations...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.