Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
http://www.neowin.net/news/ipad-owner-gets-booted-by-microsoft-store-employee

iPad owner gets booted by Microsoft Store employee

One user on YouTube decided it might be funny to take his iPad over to the Microsoft Store, but shortly found himself with confronted with a Microsoft Store employee and security.

The iPad user was showing off his device outside of the Microsoft Store to a gentlemen that was interested in the product, when he was approached by a Microsoft Store employee. As the video resumes, the user in the video describes what happened. The iPad user was given a notice to stop showcasing the iPad in-front of the Microsoft Store immediately.

Whether the video is real or fake, this isn’t the first time Microsoft showed what it thinks of Apple devices, like when Steve Ballmer pretended to step on the iPhone, or when he signed a MacBook, or when Bill Gates banned iPods and iPhone’s from his house.

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKSKvc9KySQ&feature=player_embedded

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
looks like he was just trying to be disruptive. I have to side with the store employees getting him kicked out.

What happens if someone showing of a HP tablet heads to an apple store pulls a stunt, they'd be kicked out as well.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
looks like he was just trying to be disruptive. I have to side with the store employees getting him kicked out.

What happens if someone showing of a HP tablet heads to an apple store pulls a stunt, they'd be kicked out as well.

He wasn't in the store.

Filming a product in a mall without permission might give security some cause, though.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA

Clearly the iPad owner was not being disruptive. He was have a conversation with a very interested individual. There was no crowd; only three men--the iPad owner, the interested second individual, and a camera operator. The Microsoft employee most certainly has an obligation to maintain order on the sales floor of the Microsoft Store. However, he has no jurisdiction outside the store.

Your assertion to the contrary notwithstanding, the persons involved with the iPad were situated in an area that is generally considered to be a public commons. The Microsoft employee's behavior ran the risk of generating litigation against himself and his employer if iPad fan chose to press the issue.

eRondeau

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
Canada's South Coast
iPad technology would frighten & confuse any Microsoft employee. Much as how a new Ferrari would terrify a backwoods mechanic who made a living servicing Model-T Fords. Microsoft troglodytes deserve our pity, now more than ever. :apple:

Mike Macintosh

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2009
Washington State
Pfft... looks like to me the person was just using his iPad and a old man came up to him, I see no reason in why they called Security on him normally, but since this was taped, I am thinking the employee thought this was set up to sway people away from Windows... I have no other comment on it.

As long as I am allowed to use my iPhone inside the store, and make my phone calls to my friends who I normally go to the mall with I will be happy, if Microsoft wants to kick me out just because I own a frickin iPhone then screw them.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
The guy with the iPad didn't seem like he was trying to instigate something. Then again, I find it hard to believe this happened by pure chance that it was outside the Microsoft store; he knew what he was doing, whether he had a bad attitude or not. And he wasn't right in front of the store, either.. Who knows.

That said, the bottom line is Microsoft has no right (other than monetary) to do this outside the confines of their store.

Ca$hflow

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2010
London, ON
At first I thought the microsoft employees were interested and wanted to check out the iPad too! LOL One guy looked like he wanted to play and tinker with it. I don't think that they knew it was an iPad initially. Kinda funny. The guy should have not given in. Would have made good press.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Since the video is being filmed, it's obvious the intentions are malicious. If a competitive product for my business was being showcased outside my store, I'd have it removed as well.

That said, the bottom line is Microsoft has no right (other than monetary) to do this outside the confines of their store.

Just like a bank or jewelry can have you arrested for loitering, so can any other store like Microsoft and Apple have to right to protect their business.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Microsoft knows if they let people showcase Apple products outside their store, whether in or out of their store boundaries, they would have zero business. Who would buy stuff that doesn't work, versus Apple's motto "it just works!".

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
The guy with the iPad didn't seem like he was trying to instigate something. Then again, I find it hard to believe this happened by pure chance that it was outside the Microsoft store; he knew what he was doing, whether he had a bad attitude or not. And he wasn't right in front of the store, either.. Who knows.

The iPad user knew what he was doing.

AFA the store confines - if it's in a mall, the store's common area is the entire mall so they have the right to kick him out.

Now, if he's outside of mall property or the store's a stand-alone with definite boundaries, then that's a different story...

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
The iPad user knew what he was doing.

AFA the store confines - if it's in a mall, the store's common area is the entire mall so they have the right to kick him out.

Now, if he's outside of mall property or the store's a stand-alone with definite boundaries, then that's a different story...

Not if the mall was in California, New Jersey, Colorado, Oregon, Massachusetts, Washington, or Pennsylvania.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Since the video is being filmed, it's obvious the intentions are malicious. ...
You cannot proscribe motives; you can only proscribe behavior. Whatever their motives, the individuals involved with the iPad were doing nothing to justify the Microsoft employee's response. The cameraman shot just one angle. That said, it is also quite likely that the iPad crew was closer to other stores than they were to the Microsoft Store.

In summary:
  1. The Microsoft employee called security on three well-behaved individuals because they were filming the use of a new product from another company.
  2. These individuals did not interact with any of Microsoft's customers or any potential customer.
  3. They did not impede egress into the Microsoft store.
  4. They did not setup a display of any kind.

bludodge

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2010
BS, thats what this is. So if I stand outside a Sprint store and use my iPhone I can get ran off? You saw the camera in the reflection, hell it wasn't like they looked like an Action 4 news team with a shoulder cam and battery belt pack...... That could have very well been you and one of you kids with a camera, would you want to be thrown out then? Hell I guess it would have been double bad if they had been filming with an iPhone (or were they), but it would make it double funny. Geesh this is petty, unless there was something we didn't see......

bludodge

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2010
Since the video is being filmed, it's obvious the intentions are malicious. If a competitive product for my business was being showcased outside my store, I'd have it removed as well.

Just like a bank or jewelry can have you arrested for loitering, so can any other store like Microsoft and Apple have to right to protect their business.

So ALL video is malicious?

bludodge

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2010

....and loitering in a mall.......really? Hello. That is WHAT takes place in a mall 50% of the time. Hell if you leave without a purchase, you just loitered.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
To me the video looks like he was doing it to try to cause a little trouble.

Not a huge amount of trouble but was trying to show off the iPad in front of the Microsoft store and filming it with the microsoft logo in the back ground.

I think they were well with in their right require him to quite. It is pretty bad form to show off a competitors product right in front of their store no matter how you cut it.

It seem pretty cut and dry and how they told him that he had quit was pretty reasonable

KeriJane

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2009
ЧИКАГО!
LOL!

Right or Wrong, Staged or Not it makes Microsoft look like an Ogre.

Oh wait, it makes MS look EVEN MORE like an Ogre than they already did.

Now Evil Bill is going to have to spend ALL NIGHT making an inferior copy just bad enough so that Apple can't sue.

Wonder what they'll call it? Zune Slate? Microsoft WorldPad? Betcha it'll "run" Flash, get Viruses and have a 20-minute battery....

Another PR disaster for MS!

Have Fun,
Keri

PS, Better DL the video before it gets banned..

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
LOL!

Right or Wrong, Staged or Not it makes Microsoft look like an Ogre.

Oh wait, it makes MS look EVEN MORE like an Ogre than they already did.

Now Evil Bill is going to have to spend ALL NIGHT making an inferior copy just bad enough so that Apple can't sue.

Wonder what they'll call it? Zune Slate? Microsoft WorldPad? Betcha it'll "run" Flash, get Viruses and have a 20-minute battery....

Another PR disaster for MS!

Have Fun,
Keri

PS, Better DL the video before it gets banned..

Did you read or watch any of the video? Really? If you did you'd realize that MS was likely right with their decision and it makes them look like any other company. Someone was causing a scene, they removed said person. Whether the person was right outside their store or inside, MS did the right thing here.

This is when being an Apple fanatic goes too far. When you're willing to make a scene for the purpose of just being an *******, you make all Apple users look like twunts. There's no reason for that. People grew up on one MS product or another. They're no more or less evil than say Apple.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
People grew up on one MS product or another.

I sure as hell didn't, and still don't use any MS product regularly as an adult. I haven't touched Office since March 2006. Apart from being forced to use whatever ****** version of MS at work and associated Office bloatware in the past, I've even cut all that garbage out of my daily workflow, and that was years ago. But I realize I don't speak for everyone around here, unfortunately.

In any case, the individual with the camera was OUTSIDE the Let's-copy-Apple Store. Not even close to the entrance, but in the middle of the hallway. He wasn't impeding anyone. At most, he was filming a product in a mall, which in some places is not allowed, but beyond that he was just showing an iPad to a passerby. Staged or not, here we have another example of an Apple product stealing the spotlight, whether it's done by Apple or Apple users. It's nice to see.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
The video is proof that Apple users can be dicks, just like Windows users.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.