PDA

View Full Version : What about MiFi for the Ipad? Anyone tried it yet? How was the connection speed?

Mickeyinnyc
Apr 6, 2010, 08:40 AM
I have been thinking it might be a better idea to get a MiFi connection that to go for a 3G Ipad. Sprint's Mifi are free now with a 2 year contract and they are rolling out 4G service in many areas and its $59 a month for 5GB, Verizon's MiFi box is like $49 and there service is $39 for 250MB or $59 for 5GB, there is no activation fee for either company. If you like you Ipad and there's a good chance you may upgrade next year when version 2 comes out you would save approx $130 a year for the extra cost of the unit as your Mifi contract covers you for 2 years, the $260 saved and the difference for what AT&T charges $30 a month and the quality of their service, means your paying a bit higher cost for the service but it can also be used for up to 5 devices.
Has anyone tried it yet with the Ipad or seriously thought about going this route?

Kenal0
Apr 6, 2010, 08:49 AM
I have been thinking it might be a better idea to get a MiFi connection that to go for a 3G Ipad. Sprint's Mifi are free now with a 2 year contract and they are rolling out 4G service in many areas and its $59 a month for 5GB, Verizon's MiFi box is like $49 and there service is $39 for 250MB or $59 for 5GB, there is no activation fee for either company. If you like you Ipad and there's a good chance you may upgrade next year when version 2 comes out you would save approx $130 a year for the extra cost of the unit as your Mifi contract covers you for 2 years, the $260 saved and the difference for what AT&T charges $30 a month and the quality of their service, means your paying a bit higher cost for the service but it can also be used for up to 5 devices.
Has anyone tried it yet with the Ipad or seriously thought about going this route?

Actually the 4G service is unlimited. It is the 3g part that has the 5G limit.

Kenal0

stooley
Apr 6, 2010, 09:45 AM
Used a vzw mifi yesterday all day and it worked flawlessly. Tucked it away and did not even noticed I was using it :)

I got it just because my wife and I both have a laptop and iPad so it is nice having the ability to connect them all on the go if need be.

pugnut
Apr 6, 2010, 09:55 AM
In the dc area and have no issues with connection or speed

arcanic
Apr 6, 2010, 09:55 AM
I too run my iPad with a Verizon MiFi, and let tell you, it works like a dream. Initially I considered the 3G flavor, however, declined as AT&T is terrible in my area.

Arc:D

crobbins
Apr 6, 2010, 09:56 AM
I bought a palm pre on a friend's account since it has the free hotspot ability. It's worked well so far. I must say the vzw network isn't as fast at AT&T but I think i like this because I can connect 5 things at once.